The Big WLD Log

The World's Largest Dungeon, as run by Blanchprez.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Here's where I'm going to post the monthly record of what happened last adventure. This first one is long, but I figure that normally it won't always be this long. Also, I'm going to keep this thread locked for easy reading, and everyone can comment on it in another thread.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

The Worlds Largest Dungeon, Part 1: Decent into the Unknown

The Party:
Brak (Dwarven Barbarian 1)
Cyrus Uan (Xeph Psion 1)
Oswald Birsoon (Gnome Wizard 1)
Dorn (Dwarven Rogue 1)
Sigmund Ringede (Human Fighter 1)
Albie (Halfling Rogue 1)

It all started with the dreams. They appeared suddenly, and featured a great evil trapped in a vast underground dungeon built by the gods. This evil was escaping, however, and should it manage to do so, it would destroy the world. The dreams also told how those having them would enter this dungeon and find and fight this evil, to prevent the world’s destruction. With the dreams also came a mark on the skin in the shape of a tower, and an irritable pull to the north. There were six people that had these dreams and marks, and each made their way north, eventually meeting each other. First was Sigmund Ringede, a human warrior from Impiltur specializing in the bastard sword, and Dorn, a dwarf raised in a human city. The two instantly recognized the other as a part of the dream, and quickly decided to travel together. Shortly afterwards, in the city of Waterdeep, they met Oswald Birsoon, a gnome wizard who claimed to be studying the ways of necromancy. Continuing north, they ran into Cyrus Uan, a member of a race of brown skinned humanoids from far to the east unknown to the rest of the realms. Next the group found Albie in the Silver Marches, a halfling rogue worshiper of Brandbobarus and working on becoming a full cleric of that god. Finally, the group arrived at a town called Last, the last bastion of civilization and further north than any had heard of before. Here, they met Brak, a dwarven barbarian from the region. With Brak added to the group, they knew they had their last companion. They decided to take this last night in civilization to celebrate and get to know one another before moving on.

The going was hard and cold, and they traveled for two weeks in the mountains with no sign of another living creature to be found. But still, they headed north, always north. Finally, they discovered a hidden mountain monastery housing a collection of dwarves, humans and elves. Though the party was not surprised to find the monastery (believing it to be their destination), they were surprised to find they were expected. The monastery was founded several human generations ago, by a man who had a dream similar to that the party had been having. For generations, the people living in the monastery waited for the heroes that were to enter the great dungeon below. The people here were friendly, and provided the heroes with food for up to two weeks, fresh supplies and water, and even a donkey. They knew little of what lay ahead, except that the dungeon was created many centuries ago by the gods to hold some great evil, and that the entry was a little less than a day north. Gathering their wits and spending the night in the warmth of the monastery, the party awoke the next morning refreshed and ready for whatever lay ahead.

About a half days march/climb, they party came to a plateau with a cave. Lying on the ground in front of the cave was a large creature that looked exactly like a human but for his truly large size. He was obviously dead and had started to decay, though the body was still in good shape. There was no sign of struggle or cause of death, and other than his armour and weapons, he carried only several thousand scraps of paper. There was writing on the paper, but in a language no one recognized. At a complete loss, the party decided to leave the body and head into the cave.

The cave lead down for quite some time, deep under the nameless mountains they now found themselves in. It was obvious to the dwarves that this cave was dug out and not natural. Eventually, the tunnel led into a large room of worked stone. The room, though large, was empty except for two doors, one north and the other east. Deciding to search the eastern door first, they open it only to watch the door disappear into a pitch darkness that neither torchlight nor darkvision can penetrate. Slowly, the door opened until the entire thing had vanished into the darkness. A little daunted by this, they investigate the northern door only to find the same thing.

Brak decides to put his finger into the darkness to see what happens, only to find that once he has he cannot pull his finger back. The decision of which door to enter having been made for them by Brak, the rest of the party follows him into the darkness. They enter the first room, shrouded in darkness, but this is a normal darkness, as the two dwarves and Cyrus are able to see. A cough in the distance leads them to three very beaten and tired looking orcs, which they promptly slaughter.

Moving on, the party finds a room covered in a stench so bad that even Brak gets an upset stomach over it. Leaving that room alone, they moved to the next door, where they found a dead orc. Continuing on, Brak opens the next door, only to be shrouded in darkness and attacked by a flying, black squid-like creature! After a quick battle, the party manages to pry the creature off Brak and move on. The next room was empty, but before they could get far, a large swarm of rats came running out of the hallways and into the room, swarming over Sigmund biting him all over before they were run off. Investigating the bodies of both the rats and the squid-creatures, Albie concludes that these creatures are fiendish, coming from the lower plains.

Beaten and wounded from the past few fights, the party decides to rest in this room. Despite the echoes in the room (even when everyone is still) they get a decent amount of rest. During this time, they can hear another rat swarm outside the door, but it eventually gets bored and moves on. Awakening (though no longer sure of actual time in the eternal darkness of the dungeon), the party cautiously moves into the hallway that the rat swarm came from. Rounding the corner, the party finds a single, small skeleton lying in the floor before a door. Moving through the door, they find a room that appears to have once been an office. Searching it, they find a secret door that is trapped with a scything blade. The door leads to a room with several tables and chairs in it, and another door.

Continuing on, the party opens the door only to find another rat swarm, which runs out the door, over several party members and on out the room, as if they were running scared from something. The door lead to a covered in large chunks of rock and ceiling. Slowly picking they way across this room, they enter a hallway the leads to another couple of rooms covered in rubble. In the second rubble strewn room they find a secret door that leads to two rooms separated by an archway. They are less damaged than the previous rooms, and are home to another rat swarm that the party quickly disperses.

Moving through another hallway, they discover another rubble strewn room where there are several skeletons shackled to the wall and a spike in the center of the room. Investigating the spike, a couple member of the party briefly re-experience the torture and suffering of the people the skeletons used to be. Quickly retreating from that room, they move down the hall to another large room.

This room has a soft, green glow in the center of the room and four broken furnaces in each of the corners. Also, flying and fighting among the room, are approximately 20 large creatures that look like a cross between a mosquito and a bat. The group hesitates at this door, as the creatures, even after spotting them, seem to ignore them, but no one is quite sure if they will sure the party enter.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, entry 2 in the journal is now online! Go read it already! :)

Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Well, it's late, but entry 3 is now up!

I'll update the Character's page later, with a Graveyard for those heroes who have sacraficed themselves for the greater good. Or whatever.

Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Entry 4 is now up!

Chris
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

So, I was looking around the Log for this adventure - and noticing how woefully outdated it is! :nutkick:
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"]So, I was looking around the Log for this adventure - and noticing how woefully outdated it is! :nutkick:[/quote]

Wow, look at that. So it is. Don't expect this to be updated any times soon. I'm working on it, but it's not a high prority.

Chris

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Surprise, surprise, surprise! [/gomer]

The Character's page has been updated. I'm working on updating the journal part, but that will be a little slower.

Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Well, the journal updating has bee put on hold indefinatly, or at least until Winter get's something new to replace the current journals.

Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I've created a new journal page. I've updated the link on the main page, and I've updated it through Region A. I'll keep writting new updates when I can, and hopefully will catch up to you soon.

http://fubar-wld.blogspot.com/

Chris