Hot Button Issue: Immigration

Nuke an unborn gay whale... for Jesus!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Hot Button Issue: Immigration

Post by Count Zero »

So I have been listening to NPR today and they have been talking the new immigration laws that might be passed. There are a variety of options coming from law makers in the next few months.

I am wondering, if you were a lawmaker and had developed a law to deal with immigration? What would be the primary things you think would fix the immigration problem? Why do you think they would work?

For the discussion, assume you know your law will pass as you developed.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

um, got nothing to contribute to the discussion at large... just wanted to point out:

count zero, the turn of phrase "hot button" is sorta redundant for a title of a thread you start. ;p

carry on.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]um, got nothing to contribute to the discussion at large... just wanted to point out:

count zero, the turn of phrase "hot button" is sorta redundant for a title of a thread you start. ]

:neutral:
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="Count Zero"]:neutral:[/quote]
aw. don't feel too bad. i did use a " ;p "

don't that count for nuthin'?

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]aw. don't feel too bad. i did use a " ]

I knew how you meant it. I was just feeling like a little bit of a schmuck if you get what I mean.

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

The only reason I haven't answered is that I've got nothin'. Americans don't want these sorts of jobs, I notice. We need the labor. Besides all that, I feel like most of our families came here from other places and that we are founded on opportunity seekers and rejects from other places and that seems somehow fundamentally important to me. So, from an ethical sort of standpoint, I can see the basis for a strong argument for accepting as many immigrants as we can. What's reasonably, practically the best step? Wow, I just don't know.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

The only thing I have to say on this is, "Get them citizenized." Because citizens can be taxed. And then they can help pay for the government health programs they use.
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote="Gotetsu"]The only thing I have to say on this is, "Get them citizenized." Because citizens can be taxed. And then they can help pay for the government health programs they use.[/quote]

I agree.

Someone may want to screenshot this.

Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="smartmonkey"]I agree.

Someone may want to screenshot this.[/quote]

I also concur. Bring on the trumpets and seals ;)

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

:jawdrop:

OMG...I think I just went in my pants
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

[quote="Neuro"]I also concur. Bring on the trumpets and seals ]
Okay its an epidemic...I agree also...
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Gotetsu"]The only thing I have to say on this is, "Get them citizenized." Because citizens can be taxed. And then they can help pay for the government health programs they use.[/quote]

If it is all done legally, then they are taxed properly. Even foreign workers get taxed. The problem is that a lot of the work that is being done is under the table or employers lie about the taxes they pay.

But yeah... I agree to....

When did the 7th Seal break and what is this guy on a white horse doing on my lawn?