DM question on Worlds Largest Dungeon

The World's Largest Dungeon, as run by Blanchprez.
DM_Bashir

DM question on Worlds Largest Dungeon

Post by DM_Bashir »

Hi im running a game in Massachusettes of this Module and i've run into a snag.

I was wondering what yall used for mapping? Do you draw it out as you go? or do you use the map the game came with, If so then how do you deal with the icons on the map that let players know where secret doors are? This is my only real problem. any help is appreciatted.
Infernus
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Infernus »

We tried drawing it out as we went. When the guy who drew it out couldnt tell us which piece of paper connected to which, we went with an alternative: http://www.rpgmp3.com/modules.php?name= ... cle&sid=41

The next character who was introduced after an unfortunate fatality had part of the Crimson Scribe maps. Then I think we killed a goblin King who had another one. We've found strategic locations where the maps could be introduced in a way that makes sense. Blanchprez handles it pretty well, so that it makes sense (mostly - enough for us anyways).
Its never too early to be a bastard!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Those maps were a Godsend. And really, it's not that difficult to find places in the dungeon to add the maps. If nothing else, you can always use the Lantern Archons to simply give the players a map.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
DM_Bashir

Post by DM_Bashir »

The crimson scribe maps seem kinda wierd..... they are all edited. I found a good method last night which you will see here.

http://www.rpgmp3.com/modules.php?name= ... opic&t=331

Basically once you get a map with the secret doors removed, seperate the region into sections. then blow the sections up, Laminate them and cover them with dry erase marker and erase the marker as your party makes a path through the dungeoun.

I liked crimsonscribes maps only they seems like they limited my players options (since they were edited) so i instead used demonix's map and added some of the room icons (like the spheres in 110)

Since i will be using the dry erase method, The room numbers being there really serve as a great refference point. Can i get your DM's Email address? id like to exchange ideas.

-DM Bashir
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

You can always PM me here or on the official fourms to exchange ideas.

Also, I like the edited maps because they don't show all the symbols or secret rooms, so from the players point of view, its just another room.

I'm actually getting to the point where i'm going to have to edit maps my self because Crimsion Scribe hasn't finished them (or if they have, hasn't updated them).

Chris
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

(BlanchPrez being the DM and all)
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
DM_Bashir

Post by DM_Bashir »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]
Also, I like the edited maps because they don't show all the symbols or secret rooms, so from the players point of view, its just another room.

Chris[/quote]

I know what you mean, Though when i say edited i mean there are rooms missing. in the top left corner of the map you will notice A36 is gone. in addition to other seemingly random rooms in the region. This continues throughout the series of maps he has.

-DM Bashir

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="DM_Bashir"]I know what you mean, Though when i say edited i mean there are rooms missing. in the top left corner of the map you will notice A36 is gone. in addition to other seemingly random rooms in the region. This continues throughout the series of maps he has.

-DM Bashir[/quote]

That's because A36 is a secret room that you can only get to through secret doors. If there are no secret doors on the map, it stands to reasons rooms only accessable through secret doors are missing as well.

Chris

DM_Bashir

Post by DM_Bashir »

I agree, but with the mapping method (dry erase method) i have planned its better to have it on the map. what method do you use?
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="DM_Bashir"]I agree, but with the mapping method (dry erase method) i have planned its better to have it on the map. what method do you use?[/quote]

I provide the PC's with the edited maps, and then add rooms as they find them. Its perhaps not the best solution, but as I don't have the time or money to print poster sized maps and lamanate them, it works for our group.

Chris

DM_Bashir

Post by DM_Bashir »

i found a better cheaper solution. just use a standard poster frame and put the map inside and just dry erase the plastic covering that most frames come with. you can switch out the maps as the group finishes. It's reusable and a frame costs only about 15-20 bucks.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

That's an interesting idea.

Chris
DM_Bashir

Post by DM_Bashir »

im testing it on friday. the only problem is what scale to stick to. if i make it big enough they can have game pieces to represent them on a giant playing board.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I have a question, Chris. Was that "tower tattoo" thing written into the module? Or did you make that up?
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"]I have a question, Chris. Was that "tower tattoo" thing written into the module? Or did you make that up?[/quote]

Made that up.

Chris

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Cool. ::snicker, snicker:: :twisted:
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.