Little Oopsie on Character Creation

That old Weapons of the Gods game, now all archived and stuff
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Little Oopsie on Character Creation

Post by devlin1 »

Good news, everyone! You have more Destiny to spend!

Why? Because your initial skills aren't supposed to exceed 3! Yay! Isn't that great? More Destiny to spend!

Yeah, sorry about that. The highest an Attribute can be to start is 5, and the highest a skill can be is 3. In practical terms, this means that non-specialized skills can be at high as 4, and specialized skills can be 5. But that's the ceiling, practically speaking, to start. When you get a chance to spend Destiny again, by all means exceed 3 if you want.

Also, consider this other benefit: you don't have to deal with power creep (as much) in your opponents. Seriously, if you're rolling 6 dice for your Melee or whatever, that means I have to have at least one guy who's rolling 7. Where does it end? Actually, it ends at 7, but you get the idea. No one's "nerfed." You're just not rolling as many dice, and neither am I.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

One other thing, I was looking through the book last night and I saw that there was a destiny cost listed at the end of every fighting style. What’s up with that? Are those things that we get or are they other things we have to buy? And I wasn’t able to find anything on the Zan Brotherhood.
"Man, the government is gonna feel dumb when they see my search for 'the+government+sucks+dick.'"
Kevin Gander,Barber
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="J@ke"]One other thing, I was looking through the book last night and I saw that there was a destiny cost listed at the end of every fighting style. What&#8217]
For Uncommons and Rares, there are other associated costs, usually a clan/secret society/faction Affiliation, or some level of Status within same. That may also come with an Onerous Obligation, a Disadvantage which would normally cost (!) 5 points, but if it's your first or second Disad, it's generally free. In other words, knowledge of secret kung fu requires membership/status and responsibility.

You, for example, would pay the 2 Destiny for an Affiliation with the Zan Brotherhood, but nothing else is required. However, IMO, you'd be a fool-- a fool!-- not to also buy the discounted version of Robust. Robust is very, very good. Normally 8 Destiny, but for you, 3. Not that you have to take it. But you should take it.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]For Uncommons and Rares...[/quote]

Hey! I thought you said we weren't playing Magic!

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Hey! I thought you said we weren't playing Magic![/quote]
Yeah, I have my flashbacks as well. They probably should've called them Earthly!, Heavenly!!, and Divine!!!, but I guess the Setting Flavor Machine couldn't take anymore.

Mike Olson
J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

I think I'll get Robust with my new found points!
"Man, the government is gonna feel dumb when they see my search for 'the+government+sucks+dick.'"
Kevin Gander,Barber
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="J@ke"]I think I'll get Robust with my new found points![/quote]
At three points, it's a steal. Spend one Jade, heal two damage. It might not seem like much, but considering you regain a Jade every round anyway, it's like free damage reduction. And you aren't limited to just the one Jade a round to heal more damage-- spend four, heal eight. Pretty good deal for a guy with a Might of 5.

Mike Olson
J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

What kind of things can we be spenging our points on? And what limits still apply?
Kevin Gander,Barber
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="J@ke"]What kind of things can we be spenging our points on? And what limits still apply?[/quote]
Feel free to spenge them on anything, although some things, like learning entirely new kung fu styles, will take a while to learn. Spend 'em how you like, and if there's a problem with anything I'll let you know.

That said, I think I'll have an arbitrary limit on skills of 4, for the time being. Otherwise, everyone's Fight, Melee, or Ranged will shoot up to 7 dice overnight, and poor Sam's Guy will be left in the dust.

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Before someone asks, or in case anyone's wondering, the highest a skill can be is 5. However, a Specialty within that skill can put it up to 6, and a Double Specialty (which is a thing you can do-- but you can't do triple, etc. and you can't start with a Double Specialty) maxes it out at 7. Seven is the game's die-pool ceiling for skills.

So we're at that point now: 5 is the new maximum, not counting Specialties. As long as you're regularly using a skill, I have no problem with spending Destiny to increase it overnight, but otherwise it'll take time. In any event, I don't think I'd generally allow increasing a skill or Specialty by more than a die per session. If you want to go from Fight 1 to Fight 5, it should and will take a while.
Mike Olson