Next meeting

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Hi everybody... betcha all are wondering what the hell's going on with me? Well I'm still sick. *cough cough* It sucks.

But anyway. I've just sent winter the pics I took at Scottish Rite, so I can show y'all the rooms and stuff. There's an interesting option there wherein we could rent their masonic hall. It's big and cheap. So I took pictures of that as well.

But we still have an issue with insurance. I've gotta call the contacts they gave me to find out exactly how much it'll cost. In the meantime, I know there are some of you who are checking on the insurance requirements of other locations. I know we wanted to have flyers for the Comicon, but that seems unlikely since we don't know a place and date yet.

I'd like to schedule another meeting. I'm thinking Tuesday July 13th. Does this sound good to everyone?
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

We could do flyers that just have what info we have now (tentative dates, location and activities, etc...), and an URL to a website where interetsted parties can go to check for updates. The important thing is to get the word out. The datails are kind of secondary at this point.
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
jasonhead

Post by jasonhead »

Hi, the Holiday Inn in Nat'l City does NOT require insurance. Again it's $900 for the whole day with $300 deposit. I still think it would be a great location and the place is really nice.

Tuesday 13th sounds fine to me.

jason
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
PMvanova
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by PMvanova »

I'd like to attend as well, but what time on Tuesday? I have an obligation at home until 7:30 but would like to at least make my appearance for introductory sake.

Also, having a con is fine, but has it been decided or talked through as to WHEN it will happen? I may have missed the posting that included that, but have tried to read any older posts about the con.

Thanks!
A good story should provoke discussion, debate, argument ... and the occasional bar fight.

-- J. Michael Straczynski
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

Thanks for the pictures. Do you have Dimensions?
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

The first two pictures are the Ionic and Doric rooms. They have a divider which can be opened to make one big Ionic/Doric room. The square footage for that is 1711. That room is $350 for the entire day.

The second two pictures are of the Claude Morrison room. It's the masonic meeting hall. There's 1935 sq ft space in the middle of the room, and a bunch of stationary seats off to both sides. The entire room is 4320 sq ft if you include all the stationary seats. The thing I like about this room is that people who aren't doing anything at the moment have a place to sit down. I believe this room is somewhere around $500 for the entire day. I am going to call back and get that confirmed.

Other things I still have to check on:
How much is insurance? I have a few numbers to call on that.
What about food services? They also gave me a number for that as well. They would provide vendor services, but I don't know if we have to pay for that service or not, so I have to check that.

jasonhead and I are making plans to check out the Holiday Inn in National City (near the navy base I think). It's more expensive ($900 for the day), but according to jason, the facilities are really nice, plus they don't require insurance. So I'll take pictures there too.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Pics look good!

Hokay, the Recital Hall in Balboa Park also requires insurance, is already booked for Halloween weekend, and would require a copy of our books on everything we sell. I think this is a no-go.

I think a nebulous ad campaign has some possibilities but in order to do the hard core (like press releases) we have to have a fait acompli. So I feel that the sooner we meet the better. We also seem to keep shirking the front money question. Mord is great coughin' up for the hall ('course this was pre-insurance days...he might be going "gulp!" about now) but we need to establish our sources (even if they are just pledges) and then allocate funds, create a budget.

We can have the meeting at my house any evening (except Friday nights)...or on the weekends usually. I think our next one is a gonna be a long one! :lol:
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
PMvanova
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by PMvanova »

In order for people to get the idea that there is a gaming convention for San Diego, flyers and a web page would be the first step. I know there are people on this that have more graphics capability than I do, but I seem to be moving faster than everyone at this point. (Get a life? I have a life...which one do you want?)

My printer is out of ink, so I can't print out any flyers at the moment. I can create a webpage that can be downloaded by anyone and printed. Take it to Kinko's, Office Despot or where ever and see how much getting about 500 copies would cost. I, or who ever else is going to ComiCon can drop them off at the freebies table and leave it at that.

Money is all good and necessary for reserving the site, but creating the interest is what gets people wanting more information and generating said money.

(Off to do a half bad job at a webpage for the con)
A good story should provoke discussion, debate, argument ... and the occasional bar fight.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="PMvanova"]

(Off to do a half bad job at a webpage for the con)[/quote]

I do beleive Jason Head already made a webpage but i can't find the link (I thought it was up on the main page of the site and rpg-sandiego was hosting it :?: )

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
PMvanova
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by PMvanova »

Here it is,

http://www.geocities.com/gameconsd/

He's got a bit more savvy with pages than I do, but hey...maybe we can vote on them!

hehehe.
Having two pages is better than none! I'm still working on adding to the one I'm doing we'll see how it turns out.

opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

[quote="PMvanova"]
Take it to Kinko's, Office Despot or where ever and see how much getting about 500 copies would cost. I, or who ever else is going to ComiCon can drop them off at the freebies table and leave it at that.

Money is all good and necessary for reserving the site, but creating the interest is what gets people wanting more information and generating said money.[/quote]

I am afraid that pinning all of our hopes on a few flyers that give really no info and lead to a web site with no info, is a sure fire way to creating an atmosphere of "Yeah, right!" and can actually hurt more then thay help. There is unquestionably a drastic need to get the word out there and the sooner the better. Let us not let our admirable enthusiam lead us into hasty decisions.

Money is actually more then good. Who is going to pay for those 500 flyers. Are they full color (about $.75 to $1.00 a page at Kinkos, I think) or black ink on some kind of colored pages (about $.10) a page)? That's $50.00 up to $500.00.

The need for a meeting to make these decisions is becoming madatory I think. Let us find a time that the whole board can meet (and PMvanova; that kind of energy will be more then welcome!).

Okay, as I read the above it comes off very preachy! I appologise, I just really want this to come off! :lol:

A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
PMvanova
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by PMvanova »

No apologies necessary. I'm a real good idea person and have a tendency to let other people do follow through. I'm learning though.

Now then...about this meeting, I can make it after 7:30 as I said so as soon as the time and place is posted I'll be there. I'll comb through the other thread for the previous meeting for information as well.

When I told my Meet Up group about the con, one experienced person said that at this point, having a con in October is too close for good organizing and the suggestion was to push it forward to next spring. Something we can bring up at the meeting at least.

Looking forward to working on this no matter when it is.

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I'm willing to do Tuesday. I can cancel the Stargate game, this is more important.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

At the risk of sounding pushy, let's have the meeting (like Mord suggested) Tuesday the 13th. All those in favor, say Aye! :P
jasonhead

Post by jasonhead »

works for me...will it be 7:30?

jason
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

7:30's good.

PMvanova: the meetings are at my house. I'll PM you with the directions.
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

I'll be there!!!!!!!!
PMvanova
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by PMvanova »

It's a bit of a drive but better than having to drive to L.A. for meetings. (That was the case for Agamemcon.)

I'll likely be there around 8 then.

See ya!

I've added a survey form on the page I've created. (http://www.infinity.com/sandicon.html) This at least gives people something to do when they get there. I'll be adding links to various gaming companies and stores in the area as well.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Holy Crap. I totally space the meeting. :oops: Did it actually happen and if so what were the results?
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

[quote="cczernia"]Holy Crap. I totally space the meeting. :oops: Did it actually happen and if so what were the results?[/quote]

We signed you up for a $1000.00 pledge to help with the costs. Thanks!!! :shock:

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="opwunder"][quote:9404a7e687="cczernia"]Holy Crap. I totally space the meeting. :oops: Did it actually happen and if so what were the results?[/quote]

We signed you up for a $1000.00 pledge to help with the costs. Thanks!!! :shock:[/quote:9404a7e687]

Kinda like missing a game and coming back to find out your character died :evil:

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Ah, I was just coming by to post about last night's meeting! Thanks for updating us opwunder! :)
PMvanova
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by PMvanova »

Well, the one month mark since the last meeting has come and gone and it seems nothing has been announced.
Is the whole con idea suddenly fizzled out?
Hope there's still someone out there listening/reading this.

Ummm...

Hello??? :: tapping microphone:: is this thing on?

opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Interesting...I just came to make the same post and you beat me to it. So, Mordraine, what's the buzz? Tell us what'sa happening??? Did your wife tell you that we were all too ojama (sp)?
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I've just been seriously busy for the last few weeks and haven't the chance to breathe, nevermind figure out a date for the next meeting. I'll get back to ya's. Sorry for the delay!!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

rockycat1990a,

Many of the questions you ask have been dealt with in our meetings. We've decided on a number of things. If you would like to attend our next meeting, keep looking at this forum. There will be an announcement within the next few days.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

have you checked the minutes Rocky?
BreakfastOfChampions

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat![/quote]

Again? That trick never works!

PMvanova
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by PMvanova »

Will not continue with that...we would spend the next six posts going on about Rocky and Bullwinkle...and other cartoons.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Understand about life interrupting...will wait for further instructions.

(Nothin' up ma sleeve....:: pulls lion ouf out of hat ::: Whoops! Wrong hat.)

Nuts...thought I could resist. Oh well.

opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Personally, I preferred the "Fractured Fairy Tales" over the rest of the program...okay, before everyone jumps on this...it doesn't mean I DIDN'T like the rest, just that portion was my fav! :lol:
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I'm bringing my Rocky & Bulwinkle DVD to the next meeting. ;)

Chris
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat![/quote]

Boris Darling BoC being witty again :P

PMvanova
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by PMvanova »

Speaking of the next meeting....

AHEM....

Let me know..and I'll do my bestest to be there.

Old Gamer From the Sea
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Old Gamer From the Sea »

Hi there

Could someone do a recap of what has been decided and when and where is the next meeting?

I have a few ideals I like to share but I’m not sure if they have been discussed already or what status their in?

So let’s get the dice rolling.
"Welcome to the land of the living. Now pick up a shovel and start digging." - Army of Darkness
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

[quote="Old Gamer From the Sea"]Hi there

Could someone do a recap of what has been decided and when and where is the next meeting?

I have a few ideals I like to share but I’m not sure if they have been discussed already or what status their in?

So let’s get the dice rolling.[/quote]

Check the meeting minutes for what has been....we are waiting for the Mighty Mord to announce the next meeting. If you could make it, that would be cool! :lol:

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm not really being a good chairman at the moment.

*hangs head in shame*

Okay, I'm thinking the next meeting will be the week after next, the week of Sept 20th. Tuesdays is our usual meeting day, so that would make it Sept 21st. How does that shake with everyone?
Old Gamer From the Sea
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Old Gamer From the Sea »

Sounds great. Where do we meet at?
"Welcome to the land of the living. Now pick up a shovel and start digging." - Army of Darkness
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

[quote="mordraine"]I'm not really being a good chairman at the moment.

*hangs head in shame*

Okay, I'm thinking the next meeting will be the week after next, the week of Sept 20th. Tuesdays is our usual meeting day, so that would make it Sept 21st. How does that shake with everyone?[/quote]

Jake by moi....PMvanova probably can't make it though, there is a Meetup that night. :?

BreakfastOfChampions

scheduling is *such* a pain.
PMvanova
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by PMvanova »

Unfortunately, that Tuesday I'm busy with another meeting at the same time.

Willing to just read the minutes such as they will be.

Darn it all, I'll miss the R&B session though.hehehehe

opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

[quote="PMvanova"]
Darn it all, I'll miss the R&amp]

R&B? Razors and Barbers? Rogues and Babes? Rockstars and Buttplugs? Ridolin and Barbituates? :?
Chulainn
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Chulainn »

[quote="opwunder"][quote:1a213be724="PMvanova"]
Darn it all, I'll miss the R&amp]

R&B? Razors and Barbers? Rogues and Babes? Rockstars and Buttplugs? Ridolin and Barbituates? :?[/quote:1a213be724]

I am guessing "Rap and Bull", But what the hell do I know ? :)

C
~twisting reality so you do not have to~
:nutkick:
"It's like rock, paper, scissors, crippling blow to the groin. Crippling blow to the groin always seems to win."- Wintermute
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Old Gamer From the Sea"]Sounds great. Where do we meet at?[/quote]

The meeting will take place, as usual, at my place. We try to start at 7pm. If you're thinking about showing up, let me know and I'll PM you the directions.

opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

[quote="mordraine"][quote:0f4a7996b4="Old Gamer From the Sea"]Sounds great. Where do we meet at?[/quote]

The meeting will take place, as usual, at my place. We try to start at 7pm. If you're thinking about showing up, let me know and I'll PM you the directions.[/quote:0f4a7996b4]

So, just to be sure...we are meeting on the 21st at 7:00, your abode, yes?

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I should be able to make that.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="opwunder"][quote:a4e382604c="mordraine"][quote:a4e382604c="Old Gamer From the Sea"]Sounds great. Where do we meet at?[/quote]

The meeting will take place, as usual, at my place. We try to start at 7pm. If you're thinking about showing up, let me know and I'll PM you the directions.[/quote:a4e382604c]

So, just to be sure...we are meeting on the 21st at 7:00, your abode, yes?[/quote:a4e382604c]

Correct, correct and correct.