Post by jimmy corrigan »

heya. when are we meeting up?
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I dunno.... 27th?
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i'll be gone camping on the weekend of the 26th.

howsabout the following weekend?
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

The weekend after the 27th would be better for me too. I gotta Halloween Party that Saturday.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I'm out until November, too.

I am totally psyched about making this character.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

BTW, November 3rd, our proposed start date, is Worldwide D&D Day. Is that a problem for anyone, or just a perfect confluence of events?
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Hm.. often I will participate in some sort of thing on that day. What with the swag and all. Might work with a morning/afternoon double header though..

On a non-really-related note - I hate yahoo, as it keeps pushing my board notifications to my spam folder and there seems to be no whitelist on the free account. Bastards.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Hm.. often I will participate in some sort of thing on that day. What with the swag and all. Might work with a morning/afternoon double header though..[/quote]
Well, maybe we could do a little D&D Day stuff earlier in the day, then do our AD&D stuff after. Is that what you were thinking?

[quote]On a non-really-related note - I hate yahoo, as it keeps pushing my board notifications to my spam folder and there seems to be no whitelist on the free account. Bastards.[/quote]
Gmail is the best, yo.

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]Well, maybe we could do a little D&D Day stuff earlier in the day, then do our AD&D stuff after. Is that what you were thinking?[/quote]

Yeah, that's what morning/afternoon double header meant ;)

Gmail is the best, yo.[/QUOTE]

All relative. Your own server is best, but until I get me some fiber optics to my house, it ain't happening.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Yeah, that's what morning/afternoon double header meant ;)[/quote]
I am down for that. What's/where's the D&D Game Day stuff? Is there something going on at Game Castle? Didn't you and Mord go to some super-exciting thing in LA last year for D&D Game Day?

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Well, I'm the slacker type and I hadn't gotten around to checking on what was available yet.

The thing I went to last year probably won't be a continuing deal. We kinda lucked out, as I think they only did it in LA because it was also the film festival award party..
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

so, the 3rd of november work for everyone?

and just fyi: my weekend trip has been cancelled due to the fires. for what it's worth, i am free this weekend.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]so, the 3rd of november work for everyone?[/quote]
Still works for me. I'll bring my flame-retardant dice.

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

And I'll bring my die that's a lighter.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Hm... the 3rd is looking less peachy than it did previously... I'm still game if that's the only day we can do it, but how's a push back a week (or a day to Sunday?) look for folks?
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Hm... the 3rd is looking less peachy than it did previously... I'm still game if that's the only day we can do it, but how's a push back a week (or a day to Sunday?) look for folks?[/quote]
I can't do Sunday(s), I'm afraid. I guess I could push it back a week, but I'd prefer not to, since that weekend is my mom's birthday. What's your conflict with this Saturday?

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm unavailable for this Sunday. I'm okay for the week after that. Also, heck Mike, invite your mom. She can play the cleric. We need a cleric.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Yeah you guys need a cleric...I'm not sure the Druid will cut it for you guys
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Bah. Some potions, maybe a hireling... good to go.
Mike Olson
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'm working next weekend.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Cthulhu"]I'm working next weekend.[/quote]
Is that "next weekend" as in the 3rd, or "next weekend" as in the 10th?

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

FWIW, next weekend now looks clear for me.
Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]FWIW, next weekend now looks clear for me.[/quote]

but not for John, if I understand correctly?

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Shit, I forgot that we weren't doing this tomorrow. Now I'm bummed.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Shit, I forgot that we weren't doing this tomorrow. Now I'm bummed.[/quote]
Tomorrow? Friday? Are we still sure we aren't playing on Saturday? Sam, are you definitely out for that day? If so, we're going to have to push this back a full two weeks, I guess. The dream of starting our game on Worldwide D&D Game Day will have died.

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]Tomorrow? Friday? Are we still sure we aren't playing on Saturday? Sam, are you definitely out for that day? If so, we're going to have to push this back a full two weeks, I guess. The dream of starting our game on Worldwide D&D Game Day will have died.[/quote]

I'm relatively sure he meant Saturday. Which is the day we are gaming, unless John can make it on the 10th, as that would be much better for me.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]I'm relatively sure he meant Saturday. Which is the day we are gaming, unless John can make it on the 10th, as that would be much better for me.[/quote]
Okay, so... from the above, I'm going to continue planning on coming down this Saturday morning. Would starting earlier or later make it easier on you?

Mike Olson
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'm free this Saturday, the 3rd.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

earlier is better I suppose
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]earlier is better I suppose[/quote]
Well, let's work something out, then. You give me a start time and I'll be there (wherever "there" is).

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

How about noon?
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Noon works for me, where are we playing?
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i am confused.

who wasn't able to make it this saturday, and when did their availability change? what's with the commotion? what's with all the commotion?

i'm available whenever tomorrow.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Yes, I meant Saturday, sorry for the commotion. Confusion too.

I was expecting a later start. I've got stuff earlier in the day. Probably won't be able to start 'til 4 or 5pm.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Well, fudge.

So which is it -- play in two weeks, or play for four/five hours without Mord?

And John, what hours are you working next Saturday? Could we play after you get off, or...?
Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

What's the exact deal, schedule wise? Do some people have to leave early?
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]What's the exact deal, schedule wise? Do some people have to leave early?[/quote]
I have no real restrictions on my time. I'd planned to go down early in the day to see what Game Empire's doing for WWD&DGD.

Mike Olson
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

[quote="devlin1"]Well, fudge.

So which is it -- play in two weeks, or play for four/five hours without Mord?

And John, what hours are you working next Saturday? Could we play after you get off, or...?[/quote]

Nope, I'm on 24-hour on call Friday-Monday. I usually only get an hour or two between calls.

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Basically the deal is that I've overscheduled myself for that evening (by 275%) - stuff I committed to a month ago (or more) and forgot about. Mostly that is in the evening though, which is why I suggested a noon start-time.

I'm not gonna leave any of you guys out on the first session because I screwed up, so if everyone can't make it we'll probably have to push things back. Which looks like it would mean the 17th from what I've seen.

This Saturday: remaining obstacles seem to be Mord's earliest start time of 4 and my latest end time of hm.. 8ish I guess. I'll have some explaining to do , but that's fine. If we got our shit together that would give us 4 hours, which could be do-able. I do get the impression that folks don't have their characters all the way done, so you guys would need to buckle down on that and I'll finish my part (Magic Items and such) as well so we hit the ground running. Another option would be to schedule tomorrow and the 17th, call tomorrow an 'intro session' to finish characters & get started on the action and then really get into things after two weeks - if everyone could make that date in addition to tomorrow (and if Mike is cool coming down for only a short few hours, though if paired with gameday that may be fine?).

comments/opinions?

Game Empire is supposedly doing the gameday thing (which is an FR adventure in the Icewind Dale I believe), but they have no info on their site, so I don't know what time that's going down. If we don't do GH in the morning and they do that early enough, I'll go with you Mike. There are no other local stores doing anything (which is weird, usually there are a few).
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Cthulhu"]Nope, I'm on 24-hour on call Friday-Monday. I usually only get an hour or two between calls.[/quote]
Oh. That's hardcore.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm totally up for a 4 hour intro thing. Or a 4 hour thing. Either way.

My guy's basically done. 9th Level human Ranger named Alric Greensward. Son of a Ranger, grandson of a Ranger.

His father Ulric was involved in the original assault on the Giant abodes. Lost his arm fighting fire giants. Later on, met a lovely bar wench named Lilly, bought her a castle in the hills (with the proceeds earned killing giants), had Alric, the rest is history.

Alric has a magical sword (+2 bastard sword, +3 vs. giant class creatures) named Cutter. It is intelligent, of chaotic good alignment (like Alric himself) and glows slightly whenever any giant class creatures are nearby.

Alric also has a set of Elven chainmail (+3).

(magical items pending Sam's approval)

BTW, I've got some goldenrod charsheets printed up, if'n anyone wants 'em. And I can print up more on Saturday.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Elfin chain +3! That's hardcore.

I've decided, finally, that I'll be playing Kvard-Ulf Backbiter, a human Snow Barbarian who's spent much of his adult life wandering the northern reaches of the Flanaess. His father, Haakon Iceborn, a powerful priest of Kord, was part of the original group of adventurers who strove against the giants way back when; like him, Kvard-Ulf wields a giant sword captured years earlier in a conflict with the Hold of Stonefist.

So... that's kind of a departure, but I've decided that the barbarian will just be more fun, especially for a monthly game.
Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]I'm totally up for a 4 hour intro thing. Or a 4 hour thing. Either way. [/quote]
BTW, on this: I'm assuming that if Sam wants to start earlier that he's got something going on that evening, in which case that four-hour intro might end up being the bulk of the session.

Sam, what's your actual, factual window of availability?

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]BTW, on this: I'm assuming that if Sam wants to start earlier that he's got something going on that evening, in which case that four-hour intro might end up being the bulk of the session.

Sam, what's your actual, factual window of availability?[/quote]

That 4-hour number is coming from the post where I specified availability. Scroll up a ways ;) yes, the session would be 4 hours.

That seems like its what we are going to be doing - 4 hour long intro session Saturday, from 4 to 8pm. I had originally planned to start you guys off running (and I mean that quite literally), but we'll back up a little and do some character polishing and probably a fight of some kind to get the old AD&D muscles working properly.

Andy - I'll have to check my books at home, but your equipment may have to be trimmed a bit. I had a rough gp value in mind so folks would stay relatively abreast of each other, I'll need to compare your picks to that.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]I had a rough gp value in mind so folks would stay relatively abreast of each other, I'll need to compare your picks to that.[/quote]
Any chance we could be told what that rough gp value is so that we'd have an idea of our limitations and plan accordingly?

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Did you post the gp value at some point? I don't mind trimming. I just went for what I thought would be cool.

edit: whoops, Mike already asked that...
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

good times! thanks for running, d&d3e. even with all the tables and first ed. wackiness, i had a great time. i really love my character!

kudos to all for sticking it out and lasting through the night with the subsequent star wars game.

speaking of which, monsieur arulan(sp?), give yourself a force point for talking your way out at otho's reclaimation emporium without, y'know, killing anything.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Yep, good times. Thanks to Sam for running (and for including lots of old-school combat), Mord for being a trooper (that's the tiredest whistling I've ever heard), and Mr. and Mrs. JC for their hospitality. I eagerly anticipate having my barbarian run away in abject, superstitious fear at 15" next time (which is not in two weeks).
Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

So -- next time. I'm guessing that the only weekends I'd reasonably be available would be the 1st, the 8th, or the 15th. What of you others?
Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Yeah, I had assumed earlier in the month would prevail, for obvious reasons. Of those dates, I think either the 15th or the 8th would be best for myself.