Greyhawk - Plannin' Ahead

A 1st ed AD&D Greyhawk Campaign run by dnd3eplayer
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Greyhawk - Plannin' Ahead

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I know we are still a little ways off time-wise (but only a couple/few sessions?), and I thought that I would plan ahead a bit anyway.

I know Mike has expressed some interest in doing some of the old modules, which I'm down to do if others want to as well. I did have an idea along that vein that might be cool though - taking one of the old module series and setting the game 15 years later, with a new threat rising in the same locale, and the spawn (you guys) of the original heroes who defeated the initial threat called in to thwart this new menace... whaddaya think?

Also I'd like to know folks' preferences on starting level and any other aspects of the game you would like to see.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

all for it. the idea sounds bitchin'. i don't have a starting level in mind, but i'd prefer playing someone competent.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Yes. Awesome.

I don't know if I mentioned the character-creation method I used when I ran Return to the Tomb of Horrors years ago, but it worked really well. I'll see if I can find my actual notes on it, but basically, I gave every player a set number of XP they could use to buy character levels and magic items (and I limited the availability of most magic items so characters had a better shot of being unique -- e.g., once one person had picked up a girdle of giant strength, no more were available).

Anyway, I'll look for that.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Yeah, with the separate class progressions I was leaning towards something like that. I'm thinking around 19,000 xp, that way most single classed characters would be either 4th or 5th level (depending on class).

Magic would be by a set gp value. I'm not especially worried about magic item uniqueness, but you will each probably get something fairly nice 'bequeathed' to you by your adventuring relation in addition to gp value.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Hey, seriously, let's get this going already. Who's authorized to do the forum switcherooney, here? And can we get some chargen guidelines so's we can get to work on that?
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i don't know how to conjure the forum magick (i'da done it for sotc if that were the case), but yes, i agree heartily with the above sentiment. let's do this.

can't we just start a new thread as normal and just port it over to the eventual forum later?
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]can't we just start a new thread as normal and just port it over to the eventual forum later?[/quote]
Yeah, of course. But I didn't want to start a new thread, like, on my own. I just don't want to see this idea fade away for lack of sufficient pursuit.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Essentially, we have to ask Winter to create the new forum. None of us has access, even us mod types.

SCRATCH THAT!! Apparently I have permissions to do this thing. Oops. So it is done.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Essentially, we have to ask Winter to create the new forum. None of us has access, even us mod types.

SCRATCH THAT!! Apparently I have permissions to do this thing. Oops. So it is done.[/quote]

Well, you did it when you created Fly By Knight and migrated Way of the Wulin into it in the first place, so... y'know. There's a precedent.

And yay!

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="mordraine"]Essentially, we have to ask Winter to create the new forum. None of us has access, even us mod types.

SCRATCH THAT!! Apparently I have permissions to do this thing. Oops. So it is done.[/quote]

Say hello to a free roll on a minor treasure chart, mr "getting stuff done" guy.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]Well, you did it when you created Fly By Knight and migrated Way of the Wulin into it in the first place, so... y'know. There's a precedent.
[/quote]

I coulda swore I checked a little while ago and didn't have access anymore. I thought I lost it after a board upgrade or somesuch.

Perhaps I didn't look close enough. *shrug*

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

How did you do it?

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Under the Forums & Moderators menu, there's an "Add New Forum" option. It allows you to create a forum modeled after an existing forum. A few clicks later... voila!

Then I edited the Fly By Night forum and made it a child of the new one.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I for some reason do not have or cannot locate that menu:confused:
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]I for some reason do not have or cannot locate that menu:confused:[/quote]
Me neither. What gives?

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I must have better priviledges. *shrug* Couldn't tell ya.

However, I *am* the original mod, after all. Ahem.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]I must have better priviledges. *shrug* Couldn't tell ya.

However, I *am* the original mod, after all. Ahem.[/quote]

That's true. You [i]are[/i] King of the Mods.

[img]http://i5.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/a7/1c/612b_1.JPG[/img]

Mike Olson