Next!

A 1st ed AD&D Greyhawk Campaign run by dnd3eplayer
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Next!

Post by devlin1 »

So Mord mentioned last time that our next session should be the last for Sundered Skies (lucky for Dale). I don't know if I believe him, because... I dunno, but I'll take his word for it.

But that does raise the question of what we oughtta do next.

There are a lot of other games I'd like to play, and I change my mind about what I want most every five minutes or so, but by the time we game in February, the Clone Wars sourcebook for SWSE will be out, and... I think it's be pretty kick-ass. I mean, we all enjoy the Star Wars games, but they're always the second course in this group. I know most or all of you are in another regular Star Wars game, but I'm not, dammit, so it's still appealing to me.

There was also mention of a Scum and Villainy game, which would be cool, too. Mord and I were talking about an "A New Hope"-styled Scum and Villainy game in which the PCs are a Jedi, his padawan, and assorted scum thrown together out of necessity. "Firefly" meets "Star Wars," using The Force Unleashed and, of course, Scum and Villainy.

What ideas do you guys have?
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i like that last idea of yours, devlin. yes, i think i'd enjoy that a lot. i'm tapped out in the idea department as i'm going through finals, so i leave it to you my gentle brethren. "gentle brethren?" fuck, i need sleep.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Star Wars is currently my favorite game, so I'm totally up for it. Question is - who will run? I wouldn't mind running myself, but I feel like I should give y'all a turn, and I don't want to be all GM-selfish and shit.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Things huh? I like things.

Star Wars is cool with me, wouldn't mind doing some pathfinder also (as a campaign, perhaps even an adv. path, to see how it works.) I'm mostly up for whatever. Prime Time Adventures might be fun for a short 'season' to try out also, I keep hearing good things..
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I've like the scum and villainy idea since I first heard it, but Pathfinder sounds great too. We could do both. It's not like we've ever played just one game a night.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I have trouble working up enthusiasm for Pathfinder, thanks to some bad 3.5 memories, but if that's what people want for an after-party game for a while, I'd definitely be up for an adventure path.

I hear good things about PTA from people whose opinions I respect, but... I just can't imagine playing it anywhere but at a con or something. It just feels like a one-shot. After one session, I know I'm gonna wanna roll some fuckin' dice.

To be honest, I'd really like to run a make-up-the-world-as-we-go 4E game in the vein of Keep on the Borderlands, but I know there'd be very little interest in that, because it's not especially novel. Ironic, since it's the most popular RPG in the world, but I get it. I know that if someone else suggested 4E without any gimmick or hook to make it unique, I'd be like, "Sure, I guess."
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Star Wars is currently my favorite game, so I'm totally up for it. Question is - who will run? I wouldn't mind running myself, but I feel like I should give y'all a turn, and I don't want to be all GM-selfish and shit.[/quote]
I [i]might [/i]be up for running, but I dunno. If someone else wants to, they're more than welcome to. Thinking about the [i]Scum and Villainy [/i]idea, I'm immediately more taken with the concept and premise than with any particular character idea, so that might be a sign that I'd lean more towards GMing than playing.

Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Honestly, I'm getting burned out on Star Wars. After running it a few times after Sundered Skies, along with a one-shot, by the time we finish our 6 part series I'll be done with Star Wars for awhile.

My preference would be PTA. Or possibly use concepts from PTA or Universalis with something like SotC, Unisystem or Savage Worlds. So you would use the world creation mechanics of PTA or Universalis and the in play mechanics of a standard system.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]I have trouble working up enthusiasm for Pathfinder, thanks to some bad 3.5 memories, but if that's what people want for an after-party game for a while, I'd definitely be up for an adventure path.

I hear good things about PTA from people whose opinions I respect, but... I just can't imagine playing it anywhere but at a con or something. It just feels like a one-shot. After one session, I know I'm gonna wanna roll some fuckin' dice.

To be honest, I'd really like to run a make-up-the-world-as-we-go 4E game in the vein of Keep on the Borderlands, but I know there'd be very little interest in that, because it's not especially novel. Ironic, since it's the most popular RPG in the world, but I get it. I know that if someone else suggested 4E without any gimmick or hook to make it unique, I'd be like, "Sure, I guess."[/quote]

yeah, I'm more sold on the pathfinder for the adventure path myself, but I would like to see how their frankenrules work in an extended manner..

PTA - I dunno, it seems to me like it would be a little better strung out over a few sessions (maybe 6-10), due to the structure of the game (as I understand it)... you can get into the 'spotlight' episodes & story arcs that way. I haven't played or read it though, just second-hand knowledge, so...

4e basic - actually I'd be down for that. my 4e game of KotS is going well, but I still don't feel like I know the system as firmly as I should. Playing some might help there, or even running a second game perhaps.

Of course we could combine 2 of those ideas and do a 4e adventure path, but someone would need to be up for converting shit..

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="cczernia"]Honestly, I'm getting burned out on Star Wars. After running it a few times after Sundered Skies, along with a one-shot, by the time we finish our 6 part series I'll be done with Star Wars for awhile.

My preference would be PTA. Or possibly use concepts from PTA or Universalis with something like SotC, Unisystem or Savage Worlds. So you would use the world creation mechanics of PTA or Universalis and the in play mechanics of a standard system.[/quote]

Well, if you are burned out on the standard, we could just do a Star Wars campaign where we explore some [url=http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/2/11/]alternate themes[/url] ;)

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]Honestly, I'm getting burned out on Star Wars. After running it a few times after Sundered Skies, along with a one-shot, by the time we finish our 6 part series I'll be done with Star Wars for awhile.[/quote]
Well, like I said before, the rest of you have a regular Star Wars thing going on, so I can understand if I'm the only one who's still enthusiastic about it. But -- and I don't mean any offense by this -- for the most part, you've usually showed up after the Sundered Skies game, in time for Round Two, so really, if Star Wars were our main, it seems to me like you'd be missing it anyway.

My only Star Wars gaming comes in the form of our after-hours games every month or two, or, if I'm lucky, at Strategicon once or twice a year, so I'm far from burnt out on it. I think I'd have to be constantly inundated with Star Wars to be burnt out on it, anyway.

[quote]My preference would be PTA. Or possibly use concepts from PTA or Universalis with something like SotC, Unisystem or Savage Worlds. So you would use the world creation mechanics of PTA or Universalis and the in play mechanics of a standard system.[/quote]
I'm interested in things like Universalis for the world-creation stuff, but I don't know what I think of essentially making that the entire game (which is kinda what Universalis is, right?).

Speaking of Savage Worlds: What about [i]Slipstream[/i]? Or are we looking to move away from Savage Worlds right now?

And speaking of SotC... well, I really hesitate to even bring this up, because it'll sound all me-centric, but there's also the possibility of a more extended playtest of Spirit of the Sword. The one-shots at cons are good, but not really rigorous enough.

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]4e basic - actually I'd be down for that. my 4e game of KotS is going well, but I still don't feel like I know the system as firmly as I should. Playing some might help there, or even running a second game perhaps.

Of course we could combine 2 of those ideas and do a 4e adventure path, but someone would need to be up for converting shit..[/quote]

I do enjoy converting shit. If I could borrow an adventure path from someone, I'd be willing to check that out and run it.

Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="devlin1"]And speaking of SotC... well, I really hesitate to even bring this up, because it'll sound all me-centric, but there's also the possibility of a more extended playtest of Spirit of the Sword.[/quote]i really like the sounds of this option. i had a lot of fun at the con sots game, and would like to give the setting/system a go over a longer standing campaign. in fact, dare i type it, i'll go so far as to say that this idea trumps star wars for me.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Actually, I'd really like to try SoTS too.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]i really like the sounds of this option. i had a lot of fun at the con sots game, and would like to give the setting/system a go over a longer standing campaign. in fact, dare i type it, i'll go so far as to say that this idea trumps star wars for me.[/quote]

I agree. I feel like I have a lot of trouble running SotC and I really enjoyed the SotS game I played in. It would also be fun to do some character gen for SotS.

Another possibility would be Spirit of the Force. Part of being burnt out on Star Wars is the Saga system which becomes more difficult to run the higher level the characters are.

This way you get your Star Wars and we get are SotC.

[quote]I don't mean any offense by this -- for the most part, you've usually showed up after the Sundered Skies game, in time for Round Two, so really, if Star Wars were our main, it seems to me like you'd be missing it anyway.[/quote]

No offense taken. I was thinking about not replying to this thread but eventually decided to chime in. I was trying to make an effort to show up to these games. However, I will go to engagements that I plan before the these games. The earlier we plan the game the better chance I will make them.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]I agree. I feel like I have a lot of trouble running SotC and I really enjoyed the SotS game I played in. It would also be fun to do some character gen for SotS.

Another possibility would be Spirit of the Force. Part of being burnt out on Star Wars is the Saga system which becomes more difficult to run the higher level the characters are.

This way you get your Star Wars and we get are SotC.[/quote]

Well, the point of playing SotS would be playtesting the rules and expanding the setting, which we wouldn't be doing if we were using Star Wars as a setting.

Glad to hear you liked the game you played in, though, because I didn't think it went that well -- not as well as the one that followed, anyway. I'd be curious to see how things go without me designing everything beforehand. And over multiple sessions, as well.

[quote]No offense taken. I was thinking about not replying to this thread but eventually decided to chime in. I was trying to make an effort to show up to these games. However, I will go to engagements that I plan before the these games. The earlier we plan the game the better chance I will make them.[/quote]
Gotcha. We normally schedule a few weeks out, for the sake of my schedule.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I would be completely and totally up for a SotS playtest. I would enjoy creating a SotS character from scratch as opposed to playing a pre-gen. And it would give us a chance to explore the setting more thorougly!
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

BTW, I've found a pretty great 4E conversion of Rise of the Runelords online, so the 4E Pathfinder thing looks like it could be a possibility.
Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]BTW, I've found a pretty great 4E conversion of Rise of the Runelords online, so the 4E Pathfinder thing looks like it could be a possibility.[/quote]

The real questions is can it be converted to SotS :mrgreen:

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Ok, so as I understand it, this is what we are doing:

Rise of the Runelords, converted to SAGA, then SotS, then 3.5, then back to SotS (this time for russian trolls?) and then mechanically we ditch all the stuff we just did and use a diceless, Twister-based mechanic.

did I miss anything?
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Ok, so as I understand it, this is what we are doing:

Rise of the Runelords, converted to SAGA, then SotS, then 3.5, then back to SotS (this time for russian trolls?) and then mechanically we ditch all the stuff we just did and use a diceless, Twister-based mechanic.[/quote]

"But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]i had a lot of fun at the con sots game, and would like to give the setting/system a go over a longer standing campaign. [/quote]

[quote="Cthulhu"]Actually, I'd really like to try SoTS too.[/quote]

[quote="cczernia"]I feel like I have a lot of trouble running SotC and I really enjoyed the SotS game I played in. It would also be fun to do some character gen for SotS.[/quote]

[quote="mordraine"]I would be completely and totally up for a SotS playtest. I would enjoy creating a SotS character from scratch as opposed to playing a pre-gen. And it would give us a chance to explore the setting more thorougly![/quote]

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Ok, so as I understand it, this is what we are doing:

Rise of the Runelords, converted to SAGA, then SotS, then 3.5, then back to SotS (this time for russian trolls?) and then mechanically we ditch all the stuff we just did and use a diceless, Twister-based mechanic.[/quote]

Well, everyone but Sam seems to be up for "SotS" for our next campaign, so... Sam, as the only holdout for a Pathfinder/SAGA/SotS/3.5 hybrid, I'm afraid you're SOL. Go to bread.

I'm putting up a bunch of info on the rules (which have changed in some significant ways both from [i]SotC [/i]and from what I've already put online in my blog) and the setting (which is always evolving, or at least getting longer) online. However, I'm keeping it private for now for some reason, so I'll need your email addresses to give you access. My hope is that everyone can check stuff out online and maybe do a little chargen through the boards here, then kinda tie it all together at OrcCon, if we're all going to be there.

Anyway, if you think I don't have your email address, please PM it to me. I'll go ahead and invite everyone whose address I already have.

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]Well, everyone but Sam seems to be up for "SotS" for our next campaign, so... Sam, as the only holdout for a Pathfinder/SAGA/SotS/3.5 hybrid, I'm afraid you're SOL. Go to bread.
[/quote]

aw... at least it is sourdough. I'm gonna make a nice MLT on it.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

... mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich where the mutton is nice and lean, and the tomato is ripe... *lip smack* they're so perky. I love that.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I got to reading some of the rules and I really liked the bit about boons. Great simplification of stunts.

So, when do we start making characters?

Also, when do we want to play?
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]I got to reading some of the rules and I really liked the bit about boons. Great simplification of stunts.[/quote]
Thanks! Glad you like it. I have high hopes.

But man... I can't believe I combed through all those stunts, and wrote new ones, and rewrote existing ones, and all that. [i]Waste of time[/i].

[quote]So, when do we start making characters?[/quote]
Well, like I said, I'm hoping we can start doing that online over the next few weeks, and then kinda tie things together at OrcCon. Right now, I'm trying to get some setting info online so people can make some progress.

[quote]Also, when do we want to play?[/quote]
After OrcCon, I dunno. I don't know if I'd have another weekend free in February.

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

BTW, I'm about to make a new forum and nest all this shit inside it, so be warned.
Mike Olson