It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:34 pm




 Page 1 of 1 [ 26 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Next!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:53 pm 
Adroit Pirate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 5901
Location: 612 Wharf Avenue
So Mord mentioned last time that our next session should be the last for Sundered Skies (lucky for Dale). I don't know if I believe him, because... I dunno, but I'll take his word for it.

But that does raise the question of what we oughtta do next.

There are a lot of other games I'd like to play, and I change my mind about what I want most every five minutes or so, but by the time we game in February, the Clone Wars sourcebook for SWSE will be out, and... I think it's be pretty kick-ass. I mean, we all enjoy the Star Wars games, but they're always the second course in this group. I know most or all of you are in another regular Star Wars game, but I'm not, dammit, so it's still appealing to me.

There was also mention of a Scum and Villainy game, which would be cool, too. Mord and I were talking about an "A New Hope"-styled Scum and Villainy game in which the PCs are a Jedi, his padawan, and assorted scum thrown together out of necessity. "Firefly" meets "Star Wars," using The Force Unleashed and, of course, Scum and Villainy.

What ideas do you guys have?



_________________
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:52 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:00 am
Posts: 4900
Location: 1313 mockingbird lane
i like that last idea of yours, devlin. yes, i think i'd enjoy that a lot. i'm tapped out in the idea department as i'm going through finals, so i leave it to you my gentle brethren. "gentle brethren?" fuck, i need sleep.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:11 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 6641
Location: tecolote canyon
Star Wars is currently my favorite game, so I'm totally up for it. Question is - who will run? I wouldn't mind running myself, but I feel like I should give y'all a turn, and I don't want to be all GM-selfish and shit.



_________________
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:58 am 
Killer Robot
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:01 pm
Posts: 1250
Location: San Marcos
Things huh? I like things.



Star Wars is cool with me, wouldn't mind doing some pathfinder also (as a campaign, perhaps even an adv. path, to see how it works.) I'm mostly up for whatever. Prime Time Adventures might be fun for a short 'season' to try out also, I keep hearing good things..


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:37 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:00 pm
Posts: 2271
Location: Mira Mesa
I've like the scum and villainy idea since I first heard it, but Pathfinder sounds great too. We could do both. It's not like we've ever played just one game a night.



_________________
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:37 pm 
Adroit Pirate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 5901
Location: 612 Wharf Avenue
I have trouble working up enthusiasm for Pathfinder, thanks to some bad 3.5 memories, but if that's what people want for an after-party game for a while, I'd definitely be up for an adventure path.

I hear good things about PTA from people whose opinions I respect, but... I just can't imagine playing it anywhere but at a con or something. It just feels like a one-shot. After one session, I know I'm gonna wanna roll some fuckin' dice.

To be honest, I'd really like to run a make-up-the-world-as-we-go 4E game in the vein of Keep on the Borderlands, but I know there'd be very little interest in that, because it's not especially novel. Ironic, since it's the most popular RPG in the world, but I get it. I know that if someone else suggested 4E without any gimmick or hook to make it unique, I'd be like, "Sure, I guess."



_________________
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:40 pm 
Adroit Pirate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 5901
Location: 612 Wharf Avenue
mordraine wrote:
Star Wars is currently my favorite game, so I'm totally up for it. Question is - who will run? I wouldn't mind running myself, but I feel like I should give y'all a turn, and I don't want to be all GM-selfish and shit.

I might be up for running, but I dunno. If someone else wants to, they're more than welcome to. Thinking about the Scum and Villainy idea, I'm immediately more taken with the concept and premise than with any particular character idea, so that might be a sign that I'd lean more towards GMing than playing.



_________________
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:58 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 5578
Location: Clairemont
Honestly, I'm getting burned out on Star Wars. After running it a few times after Sundered Skies, along with a one-shot, by the time we finish our 6 part series I'll be done with Star Wars for awhile.

My preference would be PTA. Or possibly use concepts from PTA or Universalis with something like SotC, Unisystem or Savage Worlds. So you would use the world creation mechanics of PTA or Universalis and the in play mechanics of a standard system.



_________________
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:17 am 
Killer Robot
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:01 pm
Posts: 1250
Location: San Marcos
devlin1 wrote:
I have trouble working up enthusiasm for Pathfinder, thanks to some bad 3.5 memories, but if that's what people want for an after-party game for a while, I'd definitely be up for an adventure path.

I hear good things about PTA from people whose opinions I respect, but... I just can't imagine playing it anywhere but at a con or something. It just feels like a one-shot. After one session, I know I'm gonna wanna roll some fuckin' dice.

To be honest, I'd really like to run a make-up-the-world-as-we-go 4E game in the vein of Keep on the Borderlands, but I know there'd be very little interest in that, because it's not especially novel. Ironic, since it's the most popular RPG in the world, but I get it. I know that if someone else suggested 4E without any gimmick or hook to make it unique, I'd be like, "Sure, I guess."


yeah, I'm more sold on the pathfinder for the adventure path myself, but I would like to see how their frankenrules work in an extended manner..

PTA - I dunno, it seems to me like it would be a little better strung out over a few sessions (maybe 6-10), due to the structure of the game (as I understand it)... you can get into the 'spotlight' episodes & story arcs that way. I haven't played or read it though, just second-hand knowledge, so...

4e basic - actually I'd be down for that. my 4e game of KotS is going well, but I still don't feel like I know the system as firmly as I should. Playing some might help there, or even running a second game perhaps.

Of course we could combine 2 of those ideas and do a 4e adventure path, but someone would need to be up for converting shit..


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:28 am 
Killer Robot
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:01 pm
Posts: 1250
Location: San Marcos
cczernia wrote:
Honestly, I'm getting burned out on Star Wars. After running it a few times after Sundered Skies, along with a one-shot, by the time we finish our 6 part series I'll be done with Star Wars for awhile.

My preference would be PTA. Or possibly use concepts from PTA or Universalis with something like SotC, Unisystem or Savage Worlds. So you would use the world creation mechanics of PTA or Universalis and the in play mechanics of a standard system.



Well, if you are burned out on the standard, we could just do a Star Wars campaign where we explore some alternate themes ;)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:46 am 
Adroit Pirate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 5901
Location: 612 Wharf Avenue
cczernia wrote:
Honestly, I'm getting burned out on Star Wars. After running it a few times after Sundered Skies, along with a one-shot, by the time we finish our 6 part series I'll be done with Star Wars for awhile.

Well, like I said before, the rest of you have a regular Star Wars thing going on, so I can understand if I'm the only one who's still enthusiastic about it. But -- and I don't mean any offense by this -- for the most part, you've usually showed up after the Sundered Skies game, in time for Round Two, so really, if Star Wars were our main, it seems to me like you'd be missing it anyway.

My only Star Wars gaming comes in the form of our after-hours games every month or two, or, if I'm lucky, at Strategicon once or twice a year, so I'm far from burnt out on it. I think I'd have to be constantly inundated with Star Wars to be burnt out on it, anyway.

Quote:
My preference would be PTA. Or possibly use concepts from PTA or Universalis with something like SotC, Unisystem or Savage Worlds. So you would use the world creation mechanics of PTA or Universalis and the in play mechanics of a standard system.

I'm interested in things like Universalis for the world-creation stuff, but I don't know what I think of essentially making that the entire game (which is kinda what Universalis is, right?).

Speaking of Savage Worlds: What about Slipstream? Or are we looking to move away from Savage Worlds right now?

And speaking of SotC... well, I really hesitate to even bring this up, because it'll sound all me-centric, but there's also the possibility of a more extended playtest of Spirit of the Sword. The one-shots at cons are good, but not really rigorous enough.


dnd3eplayer wrote:
4e basic - actually I'd be down for that. my 4e game of KotS is going well, but I still don't feel like I know the system as firmly as I should. Playing some might help there, or even running a second game perhaps.

Of course we could combine 2 of those ideas and do a 4e adventure path, but someone would need to be up for converting shit..

I do enjoy converting shit. If I could borrow an adventure path from someone, I'd be willing to check that out and run it.



_________________
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:53 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:00 am
Posts: 4900
Location: 1313 mockingbird lane
devlin1 wrote:
And speaking of SotC... well, I really hesitate to even bring this up, because it'll sound all me-centric, but there's also the possibility of a more extended playtest of Spirit of the Sword.
i really like the sounds of this option. i had a lot of fun at the con sots game, and would like to give the setting/system a go over a longer standing campaign. in fact, dare i type it, i'll go so far as to say that this idea trumps star wars for me.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:45 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:00 pm
Posts: 2271
Location: Mira Mesa
Actually, I'd really like to try SoTS too.



_________________
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:27 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 5578
Location: Clairemont
jimmy corrigan wrote:
i really like the sounds of this option. i had a lot of fun at the con sots game, and would like to give the setting/system a go over a longer standing campaign. in fact, dare i type it, i'll go so far as to say that this idea trumps star wars for me.


I agree. I feel like I have a lot of trouble running SotC and I really enjoyed the SotS game I played in. It would also be fun to do some character gen for SotS.

Another possibility would be Spirit of the Force. Part of being burnt out on Star Wars is the Saga system which becomes more difficult to run the higher level the characters are.

This way you get your Star Wars and we get are SotC.

Quote:
I don't mean any offense by this -- for the most part, you've usually showed up after the Sundered Skies game, in time for Round Two, so really, if Star Wars were our main, it seems to me like you'd be missing it anyway.


No offense taken. I was thinking about not replying to this thread but eventually decided to chime in. I was trying to make an effort to show up to these games. However, I will go to engagements that I plan before the these games. The earlier we plan the game the better chance I will make them.



_________________
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:00 pm 
Adroit Pirate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 5901
Location: 612 Wharf Avenue
cczernia wrote:
I agree. I feel like I have a lot of trouble running SotC and I really enjoyed the SotS game I played in. It would also be fun to do some character gen for SotS.

Another possibility would be Spirit of the Force. Part of being burnt out on Star Wars is the Saga system which becomes more difficult to run the higher level the characters are.

This way you get your Star Wars and we get are SotC.

Well, the point of playing SotS would be playtesting the rules and expanding the setting, which we wouldn't be doing if we were using Star Wars as a setting.

Glad to hear you liked the game you played in, though, because I didn't think it went that well -- not as well as the one that followed, anyway. I'd be curious to see how things go without me designing everything beforehand. And over multiple sessions, as well.


Quote:
No offense taken. I was thinking about not replying to this thread but eventually decided to chime in. I was trying to make an effort to show up to these games. However, I will go to engagements that I plan before the these games. The earlier we plan the game the better chance I will make them.

Gotcha. We normally schedule a few weeks out, for the sake of my schedule.



_________________
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:52 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 6641
Location: tecolote canyon
I would be completely and totally up for a SotS playtest. I would enjoy creating a SotS character from scratch as opposed to playing a pre-gen. And it would give us a chance to explore the setting more thorougly!



_________________
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:32 pm 
Adroit Pirate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 5901
Location: 612 Wharf Avenue
BTW, I've found a pretty great 4E conversion of Rise of the Runelords online, so the 4E Pathfinder thing looks like it could be a possibility.



_________________
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:39 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 5578
Location: Clairemont
devlin1 wrote:
BTW, I've found a pretty great 4E conversion of Rise of the Runelords online, so the 4E Pathfinder thing looks like it could be a possibility.


The real questions is can it be converted to SotS :mrgreen:



_________________
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:13 pm 
Killer Robot
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:01 pm
Posts: 1250
Location: San Marcos
Ok, so as I understand it, this is what we are doing:

Rise of the Runelords, converted to SAGA, then SotS, then 3.5, then back to SotS (this time for russian trolls?) and then mechanically we ditch all the stuff we just did and use a diceless, Twister-based mechanic.


did I miss anything?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:34 pm 
Adroit Pirate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 5901
Location: 612 Wharf Avenue
dnd3eplayer wrote:
Ok, so as I understand it, this is what we are doing:

Rise of the Runelords, converted to SAGA, then SotS, then 3.5, then back to SotS (this time for russian trolls?) and then mechanically we ditch all the stuff we just did and use a diceless, Twister-based mechanic.

"But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."



_________________
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:13 pm 
Adroit Pirate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 5901
Location: 612 Wharf Avenue
jimmy corrigan wrote:
i had a lot of fun at the con sots game, and would like to give the setting/system a go over a longer standing campaign.


Cthulhu wrote:
Actually, I'd really like to try SoTS too.


cczernia wrote:
I feel like I have a lot of trouble running SotC and I really enjoyed the SotS game I played in. It would also be fun to do some character gen for SotS.


mordraine wrote:
I would be completely and totally up for a SotS playtest. I would enjoy creating a SotS character from scratch as opposed to playing a pre-gen. And it would give us a chance to explore the setting more thorougly!


dnd3eplayer wrote:
Ok, so as I understand it, this is what we are doing:

Rise of the Runelords, converted to SAGA, then SotS, then 3.5, then back to SotS (this time for russian trolls?) and then mechanically we ditch all the stuff we just did and use a diceless, Twister-based mechanic.

Well, everyone but Sam seems to be up for "SotS" for our next campaign, so... Sam, as the only holdout for a Pathfinder/SAGA/SotS/3.5 hybrid, I'm afraid you're SOL. Go to bread.

I'm putting up a bunch of info on the rules (which have changed in some significant ways both from SotC and from what I've already put online in my blog) and the setting (which is always evolving, or at least getting longer) online. However, I'm keeping it private for now for some reason, so I'll need your email addresses to give you access. My hope is that everyone can check stuff out online and maybe do a little chargen through the boards here, then kinda tie it all together at OrcCon, if we're all going to be there.

Anyway, if you think I don't have your email address, please PM it to me. I'll go ahead and invite everyone whose address I already have.



_________________
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:08 am 
Killer Robot
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:01 pm
Posts: 1250
Location: San Marcos
devlin1 wrote:
Well, everyone but Sam seems to be up for "SotS" for our next campaign, so... Sam, as the only holdout for a Pathfinder/SAGA/SotS/3.5 hybrid, I'm afraid you're SOL. Go to bread.


aw... at least it is sourdough. I'm gonna make a nice MLT on it.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:39 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:00 am
Posts: 4900
Location: 1313 mockingbird lane
... mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich where the mutton is nice and lean, and the tomato is ripe... *lip smack* they're so perky. I love that.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:30 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 5578
Location: Clairemont
I got to reading some of the rules and I really liked the bit about boons. Great simplification of stunts.

So, when do we start making characters?

Also, when do we want to play?



_________________
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:42 pm 
Adroit Pirate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 5901
Location: 612 Wharf Avenue
cczernia wrote:
I got to reading some of the rules and I really liked the bit about boons. Great simplification of stunts.

Thanks! Glad you like it. I have high hopes.

But man... I can't believe I combed through all those stunts, and wrote new ones, and rewrote existing ones, and all that. Waste of time.

Quote:
So, when do we start making characters?

Well, like I said, I'm hoping we can start doing that online over the next few weeks, and then kinda tie things together at OrcCon. Right now, I'm trying to get some setting info online so people can make some progress.

Quote:
Also, when do we want to play?

After OrcCon, I dunno. I don't know if I'd have another weekend free in February.



_________________
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:50 pm 
Adroit Pirate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 5901
Location: 612 Wharf Avenue
BTW, I'm about to make a new forum and nest all this shit inside it, so be warned.



_________________
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 26 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

cron