Character Creation

An rpg-sandiego.org Spirit of the Century community game - Adventure awaits, come on in
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Yes a mysteries dude
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

All right, I posted my guy's first three phases. I was thinking about making "The Fastest Man Alive!" -- a guy who owns a plane that can do 300 mph -- but decided not to, since there's already a "vehicle" guy in RPM. Instead, I made a guy with two of the neatest Stunts available, IMO: Master of Disguise and Disguise of the Mind.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Cool! We're almost go for the next phase!
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

sweet! another bad ass character concept. i am happy.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Mord has a character coming as well, if his schedule will ever permit him to post it. That'll be six PCs -- seven with Simon's. Not bad for a start.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I've wrangled Mark into making something also (probably).
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]I've wrangled Mark into making something also (probably).[/quote]
That is good! Who is Mark?

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

he's from my (Sadohara's) L5R game, and a buddy of mine. Also, Todd's back from Africa and I'll see if he wants in on this action.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Sweet. Unlike some games I could name (e.g., mine), this game ought to be a real more = merrier situation.

Others -- notably, Uber-Snotling and lower-case enthusiast jimmy corrigan -- have suggested that we get going on the guest starring roles now that we have a decent stable of characters. So everyone's familiar with how the next two phases go, right? Pick another character's novel and "guest star" in it. IMO, we should start with a round of Phase 4 to try to spread out the guest stars -- ideally, everyone should have one -- and then move onto Phase 5 later. It looks like there could be as many as four PC-come-latlies to this party, too, so doing a phase at a time will give them a chance to catch up.

If anyone's interested, we could also do the occasional "flashback" or "prequel" novel in place of a guest starring role. It'd be something like the experiences of two PCs before they became pulp heroes -- say, during the Great War, or during childhood -- effectively turning Phases 4 or 5 into a Phase 1.5 or 2.5. You get the idea. A fellow player and I did that once for a PBP SotC game, and it was pretty cool. Just throwing that out there.
Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

ooooh... flashbacks. me like.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

someone please refresh my memory, do i come up with my own character's new aspects in the next phase of chargen, or does the player whose novel i'm guest-starring in come up with them?

i'd look it up myself, but my copy of sotc is at home and the srd is lacking examples.

thanks in advance.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]someone please refresh my memory, do i come up with my own character's new aspects in the next phase of chargen, or does the player whose novel i'm guest-starring in come up with them?

i'd look it up myself, but my copy of sotc is at home and the srd is lacking examples.

thanks in advance.[/quote]

You come up with all your own aspects. The thing you/we did in the Ptolus/noir game is entirely home-brewed.

Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

cool. thanks, dev. (you too, clandestine pm-er from the outer reaches, whoever you are.)
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

BTW, I've got a very rough concept for a character in the works. To whet your appetite, his name's Johnny Methuselah, Son of Satan. Hopefully I'll be writing him up this evening, if I don't feel too burnt out when I get back to the hotel.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

ha ha ha! that was great. welcome to the boards and the sotc game, entrope.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Ok, so I decided to get in the action. My character concept is "The Traveller" which is similar to Cthulu's in that he is from the future. He has a device called "The Pocketwatch of the Cron" that lets him travel through time.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]Ok, so I decided to get in the action. My character concept is "The Traveller" which is similar to Cthulu's in that he is from the future. He has a device called "The Pocketwatch of the Cron" that lets him travel through time.[/quote]
Sah-weet. It'd be awesome if every board regular had a SotC character on file.

Mike Olson
entrope

Post by entrope »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]ha ha ha! that was great. welcome to the boards and the sotc game, entrope.[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome. This sounds like it is going to be fun!

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="entrope"]

Akros the Magnificent

An acrobatic midget that fighter for the common man

[/quote]

Welcome to the boards Mark, glad you could make it.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="entrope"]a freak butter churning accident [/quote]
Is there any other kind?

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

No rush, obviously -- just a reminder to everyone to update their character sheets with the fourth and fifth phases. That means me, too.
Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational sotc character!

(in other words, rex is updated.)
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

Yee-Haw

Brontosaurus Bill is fully oper-frickin-ational.
Scolopendra
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Scolopendra »

Okay, I finally got something up. I left off the guest-starring so if anyone wants an elitist Swedish ninja diplomat to show up somewhere in the backstory...
Just in case anyone wants to watch me run something.

I'll have you know I've been doing this since I was six.
Proud user of the "Are you sure you want to do that?" Clueless Player Warning System.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Scolopendra"]Okay, I finally got something up. I left off the guest-starring so if anyone wants an elitist Swedish ninja diplomat to show up somewhere in the backstory...[/quote]
Well, that's up to you -- pick two novels you want to guest-star in, write a few sentences describing Magnus's role, and come up with another two Aspects.

And thanks for posting! We're developing a pretty substantial stable of heroes.

Mike Olson
Scolopendra
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Scolopendra »

Hmmm... well, with the Space Kingdom of Sweden storyline, that suggests more Braininator action.

[edit] aaaand done. Wow, I even got an opportunity to give the Death Defying stunt background...
Just in case anyone wants to watch me run something.

I'll have you know I've been doing this since I was six.
Proud user of the "Are you sure you want to do that?" Clueless Player Warning System.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I went to the Magic Castle in Hollywood last night, and while it didn't make me want to be a magician, it did make me want to make a character who's a magician. So I think I'll do that, and set the no-personality Incognito to one side for now.

Just in case I'm able to make the next one of these.
Mike Olson