Twilight Imperium Tech Tree and optional rules

Monthly fix of Boardgames and coffee overload
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Twilight Imperium Tech Tree and optional rules

Post by Count Zero »

I was reorganizing Twilight Imperium last night after out game and started to look at the tech tree. I started to realize the tree is pretty simple over all once you realize what you need.

The three base technologies are: Hylar V Assault Laser, Anti-Mass Deflectors and Enviro Compensators. With those three technologies you have the building blocks of all the tech paths. To give an example, the Sardok Norr start with the Hylar V Assault Laser and Deep Space Cannon. In order to get War Suns, all the have to get is the Enviro Compensators, Saween Tools, and War Sun advances. You could have War Suns floating around the board in three turns. The higher end tech advances generally require two tech advances from the another tree.

I was also looking at the optional rules for the game. There are three that I think we should consider next time we play. One is the Age of Empire option where you set out the objective cards at the start of the game so you know what you have to do to win the game. This makes the game last between 7 and 9 turns. Another rule is the Advance Turn rules, where you get to claim two systems adjecent to your homeworld at the start of the game allowing you to expand faster. The last option I think I would want to do is the Special Objective rules where you have artifacts on the table which are worth victory points. This gives us more victory points to play with and can allow us to win the game faster.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Looking good. Artifacts = Neat.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="mrlost"]Looking good. Artifacts = Neat.[/quote]

They don't really do anything other than give victory points, but they give people points to fight over and push people into conflict.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.