Weapons of the Gods: Who's Up For It?

That old Weapons of the Gods game, now all archived and stuff
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Weapons of the Gods: Who's Up For It?

Post by devlin1 »

So that Wuxia HERO game last week was a lot of fun (for me), although if I had the chance to do it again I'd do it a little differently, and you'd all love it more. Anyway, I got to thinking it'd be fun to run an actual ongoing wuxia campaign of some kind. I figure there'd be more interest in a WotG game than a HERO game, so how about that? WotG, I mean. That?

I bet I could work out a way to run a monthly game somewhere in the San Diego area. Besides Mord and JC, who I know are already interested, who'd be up for that?

Before you ask, I don't know where it'd be or what night. We can figure those things out when it's become clear that we'd have four or five players who'd be into it. Then we'll make plans to meet for a night of character creation and a DVD of some movie or other.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I would be interested.

I am not available on Tuesday and Thursday nights.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Fuck all of you.

Portland sucks.

:threadsuc
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'd be up for it.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="smartmonkey"]Fuck all of you.

Portland sucks.

:threadsuc[/quote]

Wow, is that how that story progressed? You're in Portland now?

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

I might be up for this. Although I have no idea what WotG is, is it HERO? I wouldn’t be able to do it Mondays. Mondays I play D&F-ingD.
"Man, the government is gonna feel dumb when they see my search for 'the+government+sucks+dick.'"
Kevin Gander,Barber
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="J@ke"]I might be up for this. Although I have no idea what WotG is, is it HERO? I wouldn&#8217]

WotG is Weapons of the Gods. It's a licenced game based on a Hong Kong comic book set in ancient China where all sorts of Wuxia Kung-fu action happens (ala Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, etc.). It has its own (really interesting) system.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Also, the art is ludicrous.
Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

It's the kind of game where shit like this can happen:

[quote]Cunning Fox King (an expert in two-weapon techniques, and a wanted outlaw) and Prince Stormcloud Nan (a skilled swordsman and the local clan leader) are long and deadly enemies - Cunning Fox King being one of Prince Stormcloud Nan's greatest foes, and a constant irritation to his rule. Both are madly in love with Shining Moon - a lovely delicate girl who plays the flute so to bring tears to the eyes of the Yama Kings themselves.

She is torn between her exciting and illicit affair with Cunning Fox King and her elegant and civilized engagement to Prince Stormcloud.

Cunning Fox King arrives one night, and spirits her away into the bamboo forests where his gang hides around the perimeter, watching for any intruders or groups of soldiers.

Begging Shining Moon to leave her Prince and come away with him, to become his Queen of Foxes, The King of Foxes makes one final bid to woo her away from his rival's side. She wavers hesitantly… and just as she is about to answer, Prince Stormcloud drops from the sky and draws sword.

Shining Moon recognizes the sound of Prince Stormcloud's blade, and cries out: "Don't fight! I can't stand it! If you fight, and one of you dies, I will surely die too!"

The two men lock eyes for a moment, and a decision is made and shared. Cunning Fox King said, "Love of my life, we will not fight, but rather talk. Please, play us a tune on your flute to even out our moods."

Prince Stormcloud agreed, "Yes, my betrothed, please play us a tune so we might reconcile ourselves without blood."

While the coiling feathered serpent of the flute’s tune wraps around them, the two men square off for a duel to the death - in absolute silence.

The bamboo forest is silent save for the music of the flute – not even the birds dare sing, for fear of harming the melody – as the two men begin their engagement, both with words and blades. [/quote]

(Taken from the beginning of a combat example by developer Brad Elliott.)

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]Also, the art is ludicrous.[/quote]
It's all a matter of taste. See for yourself:

[url=http://www.eos-press.com/gallery-wotg.html]WotG Gallery[/url]

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="devlin1"]Wow, is that how that story progressed? You're in Portland now?[/quote]seriously. when are you due to return?
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="devlin1"]It's the kind of game where shit like this can happen:

(Taken from the beginning of a combat example by developer Brad Elliott.)[/quote]
cool. i know i said i was in before. but i was just placating you, dev. now, i'm really in.

in all seriousness, this promises to be a good time... that is, whenever it becomes realized.

smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]seriously. when are you due to return?[/quote]

No idea. I should have a blog up soon - all will be explained.

Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="smartmonkey"]No idea. I should have a blog up soon - all will be explained.[/quote]
Yikes. That bad, huh?

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="smartmonkey"]No idea. I should have a blog up soon - all will be explained.[/quote]

I thought you'd be back down in time for that library job where you teach D&D to kids. Although, a place to, like, live and stuff is still up in the air, I gather.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="smartmonkey"]No idea. I should have a blog up soon - all will be explained.[/quote]you're not weaseling out of your exalted one-shot obligations that easy, friend.

our thoughts are with you. just get the fuck back soon. we love ya, but there's not a chance in... portland, that we'll be going to portland to play in any exalted one-shot. i don't care how many 40s you drink.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

[quote="mordraine"]It's all a matter of taste. See for yourself:

[url=http://www.eos-press.com/gallery-wotg.html]WotG Gallery[/url][/quote]

Ouch that's bright! Mordraine owes me new retinas.

No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Cthulhu"]Ouch that's bright! Mordraine owes me new retinas.[/quote]
My sentiments exactly.

For those not aware, WotG is based on a comic of the same name. There are something like 12 books of it. And every page looks like that.

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I'd be interested, but it depends on time and such. I just read the primer for WotG here:

http://www.eos-press.com/downloads/wotg ... hegods.pdf

Seems pretty interesting.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Heya, Sam! Glad to see you're interested.

I guess we'd better start nailing down a day/time/place.

Hey, who's going to WinterFest? Alternately, who's going to be around who might like to check out the system and possibly get started fiddling around with a character? Because I'll go down there and, like, hang out in Game Towne if people are going to be around.
Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

saturday's a bust for me. sunday works. that is, if winterfest is all weekend.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]saturday's a bust for me. sunday works. that is, if winterfest is all weekend.[/quote]
Looks like it goes until 7 on Sunday. In fact, one of only two RPGs is that day!

Anyway, I'll probably truck on down to SD this weekend, since it's the last weekend before school starts and I don't have class until Tuesday. Maybe on Sunday if people are available-- and there's room-- we can meet at Game Towne or Game Empire and try to accomplish something.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Ah, ya buncha wimps.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]Looks like it goes until 7 on Sunday. In fact, one of only two RPGs is that day!

Anyway, I'll probably truck on down to SD this weekend, since it's the last weekend before school starts and I don't have class until Tuesday. Maybe on Sunday if people are available-- and there's room-- we can meet at Game Towne or Game Empire and try to accomplish something.[/quote]

Hrm... I could throw together that Gamma World one-shot I was talking about... Anybody?

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Hrm... I could throw together that Gamma World one-shot I was talking about... Anybody?[/quote]
Whoa, that's a whole other thing. Yeah, I'd be up for that. And I'll bring my WotG, and you bring yours, and it'll be the first time anyone will ever have seen two WotG books together.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]Whoa, that's a whole other thing. Yeah, I'd be up for that. And I'll bring my WotG, and you bring yours, and it'll be the first time anyone will ever have seen two WotG books together.[/quote]

Oh whoops, I misunderstood. I thoughtcha was sayin' that we could do some sorta one-shot thingy for Winterfest.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Oh whoops, I misunderstood. I thoughtcha was sayin' that we could do some sorta one-shot thingy for Winterfest.[/quote]
Yeah, I'm saying do that too, and I'm up for it. Also, I'll bring WotG, etc.

Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

did someone say gamma world?!?!
i am so there, you don't even know.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Shit, fuck them retinas. Actually would be great as a poster in a dark room and black lights so I could stare and trip out for hours...ok I'm sorry...days!

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I can't make Sunday, I'm GMing my regular game (after what seems like ages - stupid freakin' holidays :mad: ).

So I'll probably miss out on the Gamma World, darnit. I'll see if I can get a look at the WotG book and start thinking about character ideas though.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Okay, let me see if I have this straight. For various people, and for various reasons, the following days are no good:

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Saturday
Sunday

So... how about one Friday a month? Anyone?
Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

sounds good. just know that mord, cthulhu and i are in a regular game on alternating fridays. so's long as wotg is on an "off" friday, we're golden.
J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

Who can't do it Wednesday?
"Man, the government is gonna feel dumb when they see my search for 'the+government+sucks+dick.'"
Kevin Gander,Barber
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]sounds good. just know that mord, cthulhu and i are in a regular game on alternating fridays. so's long as wotg is on an "off" friday, we're golden.[/quote]
Well, golly, it'd [i]have[/i] to be if all three of you are going to play. Is this your Changeling game that doesn't contain any kung fu at all?

Oh, also, does that actually work for you guys? It'd mean losing three Fridays out of four. Think about that.

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

My 'no Sunday' post was meant for this coming Winterfest's Sunday specifically.

I could perhaps do Sunday for a once-a-month thing, as my regular game is every other week and in the daytime.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="J@ke"]Who can't do it Wednesday?[/quote]
IIRC, Mord has a thing on Wednesdays. Also, I'd kinda prefer not to do Wednesdays, since I live over an hour away and have a 9:30 class on Thursdays.

Unless you all want to trek up here one Wednesday a month. Any takers on that?

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]IIRC, Mord has a thing on Wednesdays. Also, I'd kinda prefer not to do Wednesdays, since I live over an hour away and have a 9:30 class on Thursdays.

Unless you all want to trek up here one Wednesday a month. Any takers on that?[/quote]

Actually, my "thing" (which is that my wife has class so I keep my son company on those nights) is Thursdays. I misremembered it the last time we talked.

But actually, I could do Thursdays if everyone wants to trek down to Chulajuana and play at my place.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I'd be down for that if it weren't for the fact that I have a class that goes until 5:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Driving to CV from I during RH doesn't sound like a good time to me-- not to mention that we wouldn't get started until something like 8:00, which means not much in the way of gaming.
Mike Olson
J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

What days would be best for you dev?
Kevin Gander,Barber
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="J@ke"]What days would be best for you dev?[/quote]
If it were just once a month, probably sometime Friday-Sunday. I can easily get off work early one Friday a month. The problem with committing to the midweek stuff on a regular basis is that two days a week I have class until rush hour, and two other days a week I have to get up early for class the next day-- which leaves Friday.

Mike Olson
J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

If it has to be on the weekend that how about Sundays? That way me might be able to run longer then a few hours.
Kevin Gander,Barber
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

once a month sundays? yeah. i can dig it.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

But what of Sam, who GMs another game on Sundays? Sam, is that game every Sunday or what? And if it is, would you want to take a break from those knuckleheads once a month to play with us knuckleheads?
Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I believe he answered that...

[quote="devlin1"]But what of Sam, who GMs another game on Sundays? Sam, is that game every Sunday or what? And if it is, would you want to take a break from those knuckleheads once a month to play with us knuckleheads?[/quote]

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]I could perhaps do Sunday for a once-a-month thing, as my regular game is every other week and in the daytime.[/quote]

J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]My 'no Sunday' post was meant for this coming Winterfest's Sunday specifically.

I could perhaps do Sunday for a once-a-month thing, as my regular game is every other week and in the daytime.[/quote]

/cough cough

Kevin Gander,Barber
J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

damn you mord!
Kevin Gander,Barber
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Oh. I, uh... I missed that.

Well good then!

So who's available this Sunday for a little Gamma World and book-looking-at?
Mike Olson
J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

Sorry, not me.
Kevin Gander,Barber
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]did someone say gamma world?!?!

i am so there, you don't even know.[/quote]
and you still don't.

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Not this Sunday for me (I already posted this, but I thought I would re-iterate in case it gets..uh...missed :mrgreen: ) -- unless it was after 6:30 or so, in which case I could probably drag my butt down there.

As far as Sunday in general goes, I'm fine with that as long as it is on off Sundays from my game or conforms to the time constraints above.