Easter Ptolus

Morning after pill support group
cczernia

Easter Ptolus

Post by cczernia »

Well, the Dune game has officially been cancelled for this week so I am up for some Ptolus this Sunday if everyone else is.

----------------------------------

Also, quick note on the game. Everything has been going great and I really have no complaints. I'm a little confused as to what is going on but am still having fun.

However, at the very end last night I felt like we were heading into a dungeon crawl with full on maps. I don't want to do this. I don't mind using the battle map for fights but I don't want to use it for walking around and mapping out the entire dungeon.

I would like to keep any form of dungeon crawling to a minimum.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="cczernia"]Well, the Dune game has officially been cancelled for this week so I am up for some Ptolus this Sunday if everyone else is.

----------------------------------

Also, quick note on the game. Everything has been going great and I really have no complaints. I'm a little confused as to what is going on but am still having fun.

However, at the very end last night I felt like we were heading into a dungeon crawl with full on maps. I don't want to do this. I don't mind using the battle map for fights but I don't want to use it for walking around and mapping out the entire dungeon.

I would like to keep any form of dungeon crawling to a minimum.[/quote]

I would agree there. I don't mind some good monster bashing, but I don't want to do a full on dungeon crawl.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i don't know what cczernia's talking about. he's crazy.

also, i would not object to s'more ptolus this weekend, but i might be out of town. my grandpa's going to have surgery on wednesday, so i might go and visit him. we'll see.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Also, I'll be gone from 4/14 - 4/22 so I won't be joining you guys then.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

RE: Easter - I'll be busy that day. No go on the gaming. But Friday's open...

Don't worry Chris, I'm fully aware of how much you don't like dungeon crawls. However, be aware that both Albert and I, and I suspect Erik to a certain extent, DO like dungeons. As shocking as this may be, I like having fun as much as you do, and my interests are as important as yours, goldarnit! Try to bend a little okay? Thanks. It won't be laborious and boring. I promise. And we won't be down there for very long. It'll be interesting, and will be a part of the on-going plotline.

BTW, here's a quick recap on what's going on:

Under assignment by The Chancelry of Inspection, Thox is currently investigating the arson of Moze's parents' house and business. The main suspect is a guy named Albion Bowslinger, a member of the Republican movement. Thox went to his house to arrest him and found Albion in the basement with two other guys. They were dressed in dark red robes and had various cultish items in their possession. Thox made quick work of the two lackeys and chased after Albion, but the villain got away. Thox brought his evidence to Jurgen, who identified the acoutrements as belonging to a Chaos Cult known as The Crimson Coil (one of these items is a curious wax-encased hand that everyone in the group is very fascinated by). Thox used his urban street tracking skills to figure out where Albion might have gone, and found out that an abandoned gate house known as The Pythoness House is a hide-out for Chaos Cult types. He staked it out for a while, but nothing worthwhile happened, so he called on his friends to investigate inside (hence where we are right now).

Meanwhile, Jurgen is trying to track down the whereabouts of his ex-master, Albrecht, and figure out his current motivations. Albrecht seems to have gotten his hands on the Staves of Ghul, some pretty powerful artifacts of a long vanquished evil lich-like being, previously in the hands of Helmut Ittlestein (the head cleric of the Watchers of the Sky church, and also leader of the Republican movement).

Also, Fawn, Moze's cousin, was kidnapped. Turns out Fawn is with child (Helmut's the dad), and Helmut believes she is carrying a Rune-child (which is some sort of portent of doom for Ptolus but no-one knows exactly how). Jurgen has contracted with the Inverted Pyramid to get answers on those questions.

Also, Moze followed Helmut to a building that is the operating headquarters for the Order of the Fate Weavers, a group of so-called fortune-tellers. Apparently he's aligned with them and they are trying to help him find Fawn.

Meanwhile, Ishana's brother Jarek is being hunted down by the Killraven crime family. Ishana tried to infiltrate their organization, but was captured and was about to be tortured, when Toridan Cran saved her. The next day, he gifted her with a beautiful gold and ruby necklace, in a mostly vain attempt to woo her. Jarek is still hiding (as far as anyone knows) in Ishana's apartment.

Hope that clears up a little bit of your confusion.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

great recap! go ahead and give yerself an action point.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

We can do a little dungeon crawling but I don't want to map it. I am fine with descriptions of " a hallway with a door on the right and the left." If we suddenly need the battle map for combat and to draw a 30 x 40 room with a door that is fine.

Also, try to make it minimal. I don't want to encounter any pointless rooms and I hate traps. If there is nothing in the room to the right then we should poke our head in see nothing and move on.

PK ran what basically amounted to a dungeon crawl in his Conspiracy X game but there was something in every room. I had a blast so there are good dungeon crawls and bad ones just like anything else.

[quote="mordraine"]RE: Easter - I'll be busy that day. No go on the gaming. But Friday's open...

Don't worry Chris, I'm fully aware of how much you don't like dungeon crawls. However, be aware that both Albert and I, and I suspect Erik to a certain extent, DO like dungeons. As shocking as this may be, I like having fun as much as you do, and my interests are as important as yours, goldarnit! Try to bend a little okay? Thanks. It won't be laborious and boring. I promise. And we won't be down there for very long. It'll be interesting, and will be a part of the on-going plotline.[/quote]

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i'm listenin', but all i hear is crazy.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

a) I'm a little tispy right now because I'm startin' on my third beer here at work.

b) Chris if you don't trust me by now, then we can just FUCKING QUIT PLAYING PTOLUS.

c) Okay, I'm joking, but seriously, stop with the questioning already. Do you trust me or not?
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

dude. can i come to your work?
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]dude. can i come to your work?[/quote]

*HIC*

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

*gets in car*
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"]
c) Okay, I'm joking, but seriously, stop with the questioning already. Do you trust me or not?[/quote]

Ok, I trust you....

[SIZE="1"]Just keep the dungeon crawls to a minimum[/SIZE]:razz:

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Checkaroonie.

(Actually I hadn't planned on you guys actually going into the Pythoness House. For some reason I thought you'd pursue other stuff. I plan on heavily modifying whatever is written in the prefab adventure.)

Oh and as it turns out, this weekend is out for me entirely. I'm headed to the Padres home opener on Friday.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

My only gripe about dungeon crawls with the minis is having to draw out the map. I figure there are maps in the book. If you could blow them up to the proper size, which is possible with a photo copier.. that would be cool... or only draw out the important parts.

It is the time it takes to set up the dungeon crawl that bugs me.. not the dungeon crawl itself.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"]Checkaroonie.

(Actually I hadn't planned on you guys actually going into the Pythoness House. For some reason I thought you'd pursue other stuff. I plan on heavily modifying whatever is written in the prefab adventure.)[/quote]

Ok, sorry about being such an ass. I'm sure the next game will be just as good as the others.

On that note when did we want to play next? If you guys want to play without we can say I'm training with the dark elf.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I vote for waiting 'til you're back, since we're in the middle of something. Whatever happens in the Pythoness House will more than likely affect future stuff.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

even if we weren't in the middle of something, i'd say wait for a fellow pc. i wouldn't normally say this, but since this campaign has characters whose fates are so intertwined, i'd prefer waiting.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]even if we weren't in the middle of something, i'd say wait for a fellow pc. i wouldn't normally say this, but since this campaign has characters whose fates are so intertwined, i'd prefer waiting.[/quote]

Ok, this means the next game will be sometime around May 13.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Do we want to get together and play something else in the meantime?

Sven
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Sven »

You know Chris's character is going to have to be on her own for a little bit anyway. We can ret-con her being at that fight in the house of Pythoness: she is off with her "new friends" as far as we know she is just gone (of course when we need her). This in of itself could lead to some interesting possibilities as we start to look for Ishana. especially if she shows up out of the blue acting like nothing happened, possibly with a new scar or two and throwing around extra cash. Just an idea.

-Sven
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

This is sort of what I was thinking. Anyway, looks like we can push things up a week and play on May 6.

[quote="Sven"]You know Chris's character is going to have to be on her own for a little bit anyway. We can ret-con her being at that fight in the house of Pythoness: she is off with her "new friends" as far as we know she is just gone (of course when we need her). This in of itself could lead to some interesting possibilities as we start to look for Ishana. especially if she shows up out of the blue acting like nothing happened, possibly with a new scar or two and throwing around extra cash. Just an idea.

-Sven[/quote]

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Sven
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Sven »

ummm I am really gung ho about playing as soon as possible but I'm getting married on may 6th. If I cut the proceedings short so I can game Emily will harm me in ways that would make Cthulu say: "Duuuude that's fucked UP!!" :eek:

-Sven
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Congrats
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

ha! ha! ha!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

We weren't planning a Chris-free session this Sunday were we? Cuz I can't do it. We're going up to Berkeley for their open house this weekend.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i wasn't planning on it.

go to zachary's chicago pizza for dinner at least once (1853 solano ave.).

grab a proper greasy breakfast at ann's soup kitchen at least once (2498 telegraph ave.). order the home fries.

if you're into cheese, hit up the cheese board (a well-run co-op at 1512 shattuck ave. with a wide assortment of cheesy comestibles and fresh baked breads).

tasty indian food can be found at mehak indian cuisine (2449 sacramento st.). two words, two syllables: lunch buffet.

thai house (2511 channing ave.) is great, as is plearn thai (2050 university ave.).

also, comic relief (2026 shattuck ave.) is a more than serviceable comic book shop.

furthermore, games of berkeley (2151 shattuck ave.) and endgame (921 washington st. in oakland) are worth a look. that's where i got them dice for you. endgame had a good assortment of indie rpg's.

moe's books (2476 telegraph ave.) is four stories of pure awesome.

finally, amoeba music (2455 telegraph ave.) is a must. but you already knew that.

you might want to take a tour of the campus. and san francisco. *shrug*

take pictures.