FAQ/Game Guidelines

A WWII Cthulhu adventure run by Sadohara
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

FAQ/Game Guidelines

Post by Sadohara »

FAQ/Game Guidelines

Thank you for your contribution to the Darkest Day campaign. What follows is an outline of how I foresee this game proceeding and answers to the more common questions you might have. If there are further questions or clarifications needed, please email me directly.

What is this Darkest Day thing?

This is a Play by Post roleplaying game of both Cosmic & More Down to Earth Horror set in World War II Europe. It is an indirect heir of a tabletop campaign of Victorian Occult Horor and Things That Ought Not Be Known by Men (or Ladies) called Brightest Dawn that was run from September 2004 to April 2005.

How will the game proceed?

Cinematically. That is to say, each thread will represent a different scene in a movie or script, if you will. The scenes will tend to be shorter and more concise roleplaying experiences than traditional tabletop stuff. As Keeper, I will call the end of a scene and close the thread before setting up the next one.

But won’t that limit my creativity and reduce my contribution of colourful prose which is essential to the dynamic medium of Play-by-Post Roleplaying?

No, it won’t. What it will do, I hope, is keep the story moving along at a decent clip. PBeMs or PbPs can often get bogged down in excellent, but extensive character development that grinds the overarching story to a halt for the remaining players. In this system, before making a post, consider how that post will advance the Scene (or the overarching Act, for that matter).

But what about my Inner Monologue?

If you have inner monologue and wish to sharpen your prose skills, start a new thread that reflects your character’s thoughts on the matters at hand. Those interested can peek into your brain there.

Where are we playing this devil of a game?[/B]

You need to create accounts on the RPG-SanDiego forum at
http://rpg-sandiego.org/vbulletin/

Please create an account with the last name of your character. It makes it very easy to track posts.

The actual game, Darkest Day, is located under Games at:
http://rpg-sandiego.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Also, please remember that we are guests of this forum. Feel free to respectfully engage in any of the discussions you wish. You’re no good to the game if you get banned.

Are you using some kind of rules?

We will be using the Nemesis system, by Detwiller, Stolze & Ivey. It is a free download and can be located here:

http://www.nemesis-system.com/images/do ... ooklet.pdf

Those rules look complicated! Do I have to know them all?

Given both the nature of PbP and the Keeper’s strong dislike of complex and narrative-constraining rules, you do not need to know the rules. It helps, however, to have a general understanding of their operation so as to assist in character creation and when attempting certain actions in the game. Combat will be the place that the rules will be used more than anywhere else.

When in doubt, let the Keeper sort it out.

Behaviour & Conduct

Some of you know each other, many of you do not. At the end of the day, I know each of you quite well (or I like to think so.) You were invited to play because you each bring something interesting and unique to the table. I hardly have to remind you to respect each other as collaborative storytellers. If you weren’t respectful, you wouldn’t have been invited to play, but there it is.

What are you? The Thought Police?

One day, my friend. One day.

What if I hate you and your stupid game?

PbPs live or die based on the interest of the players and the drive of the GM. If you’re not interested in playing anymore, send me an email. No hard feelings, no shame. If you’re going to be unavailable for an extended period of time, send me an email. Consider it simple courtesy for the other players. And you do want to be courteous, don’t you?

What if Player X courteously drops out? Will they be replaced?

Characters may come and go in this fluid endeavour, but we will attempt to make it as pleasant as possible for all and have a decent story reason for each.

What if I cain’t rite good?

Do not stress over the quality of your writing, the need for spellcheck, or proper punctuation. This is about the content, not the format. If you have something to contribute, get it out. If you don’t, wait until you do. A PbP can be a great thing when everyone is throwing out great RP, but a waste of time if one player says “I think X” and 3 other players echo “I agree.” Or “He’s right.” Make each post do something to advance the scene.

This sounds swell! Can I join in?[/B]

At present, the game is full. However, as need arises more characters may be asked to join. If you are interested, please send a PM to Sadohara detailing why you want to be involved.’

Thank you for reading these.

For King & Country!