farewell to an egotistical ass

A mixed media game run by Illuman23
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

farewell to an egotistical ass

Post by Illuman23 »

Before I begin let me just say this. Rifts is a really cool setting, I love the character architypes, and I have fond memories of playing this game.

I just got my Rifts (TM) Ulitimate Edition book. It was about twice as thick as I remember, and the full color glossy pictures were nice and brought back a sense of nostalga. Too bad this whole game seems to be written for a 14 year old boy. I guess that is where my first attraction to the game came about, and I didn't notice it. Siembieda's commentary to the audience is so condensending. I feel somewhat sad for him because his business is tanking, but I do understand why it's happening. He's not come out with any truely original stuff in quite a long time, and the whole RPG market is tanking. Mark Rein-Hagen up and left White Wolf years ago, and that undead beast is still going fairly strong. KS just tightens his death grip on "his ideas", trademarks and property rights choking off anyone who may have wanted to work with him.

I'm going to have a lot of fun ripping ideas out of this book for my game, and I guess that is the real point of buying a RPG book. Thanks for all the fun games Palladium, bye bye.
lu lu lu I've got some apples
lu lu lu You've got some too
lu lu lu Let's make some applesauce
Take off our clothes and lu lu lu
--Butters

<FNORD>
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I've been rereading the RIFTS books and had the exact same thought.

I also think I like old RPG art better. :)
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I never read nor had any particular interest in them. Can you give an example? /Now/ I'm curious. (oooh, this beer tastes like shit, try it!)
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Flip through the rifts books when you get home, it'll become evident within the first minute or two of reading.

I also love the pointless dice rolling of RIFTS. You are issued 1d6 grenades, a pre-rift dollar will buy you 2d10-1 tacos, the rebel leader is missing 2d12 fingers, etc.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I remember having the original RIFTS core book, and loving the setting for it. It was great. I got disenchanted with the setting quickly, however, when the supliments started coming out. If they had stuck to the core setting, it probably would have been fine.

And while I was never overly fond of the Palidum rules, I did love playing their games, specifically TMNT and Other Strageness and the After the Bomb series of books. Ran a whole campaign of that in high-school. Good times.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

My personal favorite is his notes before he lists all the rifts suppliments. (Towards the back of the book). It's something like.. I didn't want to put in a big advertisment for all my other books, but... and then has about 4 pages of all the various suppliments out there.

I thought the two page glossy advertisment for the Rifts N-Gage game (Who has a N-Gage anymore?) was over the top as well.
lu lu lu I've got some apples
lu lu lu You've got some too
lu lu lu Let's make some applesauce
Take off our clothes and lu lu lu
--Butters

<FNORD>
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="Wintermute"]
I also love the pointless dice rolling of RIFTS. You are issued 1d6 grenades, a pre-rift dollar will buy you 2d10-1 tacos, the rebel leader is missing 2d12 fingers, etc.[/quote]

Is it possible the author is just incredibly indecisive?

What's for dinner honey?

I don't know, roll 2d8 and check the To-Go table on the fridge.

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

[quote="Neuro"]Is it possible the author is just incredibly indecisive?

What's for dinner honey?

I don't know, roll 2d8 and check the To-Go table on the fridge.[/quote]

That's not a bad idea. I just might make up a table of our favorite restaurants.

"Man, the government is gonna feel dumb when they see my search for 'the+government+sucks+dick.'"
Kevin Gander,Barber
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="J@ke"]That's not a bad idea. I just might make up a table of our favorite restaurants.[/quote]
Put down the dice, Gary.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Azerack
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Azerack »

Ahhh.. Palladium.. It all makes sense now. I forgot they published RIFTS. That's prolly why I heard about it and never played it.

I picked up the Palladium "Champions" rules (I still have it, sadly) and was not impressed after Villains & Vigilantes and Champions. Alot of the rules seemed kinda (dollar word coming next -->) superfluous to me.

I'm sure they had some good ideas, but I'm glad when I rolled my d20 I failed the roll to be inspired to buy anything more from Palladium :mrgreen:
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Rifts Ultimate Edition features a full page, color ad for the N-Gage. In the middle of all those big, pretty art spreads. That says it all.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Seriously, if you're gonna sell out, RPGs are the wrong business to do it in.
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote="Wintermute"]Seriously, if you're gonna sell out, RPGs are the wrong business to do it in.[/quote]

And if you thought the N-Gage was a -awesome- platform to invest, I dunno, everything in... you're retarded.

Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."