Your Mutual Friend

A Mutants and Masterminds Noir campaign run by devlin1
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Your Mutual Friend

Post by devlin1 »

We know very little about your characters apart from the fact that they all served during the War. I mean, what red-blooded American didn't?

Anyway, whoever you are, there's one other thing we know for sure: You all had a mutual friend in the military with whom you served. This guy needs to be fleshed out, and since he was your friend, I want you to do it, to some extent. When he shows up, I want him to feel like someone you know.

What I want is a "war story" from each of you about this friend that'll tell us something about not only him, but each of you. It could be funny, harrowing, inspiring, triumphant... whatever. It doesn't have to be an epic, but it should be something worth telling, because you'll each tell your story during the first session.

Your friend has no powers (if we decide you three were in an all-metahuman unit, your unit served with a "normal" one at some point). As for the rest of his details, you need to determine three things, in this order: where he's from, what he did before the war (if anything -- he could've been fresh out of high school, or he could've lied about his age and enlisted as a minor), and his name. Feel free to figure this part out in this thread so you can at least know a few basics about him before coming up with your war story.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Hey, let's take turns! Each of us will contribute a detail. I'll go first!

He's from Maplewood, Minnesota, just outside of St. Paul.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

he was our recon man, who would scout ahead unnoticed and report back his findings when we made field advancements or moved troops.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]you need to determine three things, in this order: where he's from, what he did before the war, and his name.[/quote]

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]he was our recon man, who would scout ahead unnoticed and report back his findings when we made field advancements or moved troops.[/quote]

You didn't stay in order like Mike said! *whine*

Although your addition is good.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Well, I'll continue with the 'Top 3 Things you must determine' list that Andy started with and Albert totally ignored :mrgreen: Figured we should do that stuff first..

That means I'm doing 'what he did before the war' eh? Ok, here goes:

<unnamed guy> was a minor league baseball player before the war (lots of noir-ish unfulfilled Major League Dreams that didn't pan out, possibly leaving him bitter about the whole affair). He was a great runner and outfielder, but never could hit worth a damn - which is what kept him in the minors.

Played for the Saints (from wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Paul_Saints)
"St. Paul Saints (1900-1960)
Another team called the Saints played minor league baseball as the farm club of the Brooklyn Dodgers in St. Paul until 1960. That team played in the American Association along with its crosstown rivals the Minneapolis Millers (farm club of the New York Giants). Both teams were folded by Major League Baseball when the Minnesota Twins came to town in 1961. Lexington Park served as the home stadium for most of those years."

(question from non-sports guy: is a farm club the same as minor league?)

Anyway, I think that makes him in his late 20s/early 30s. He's a good athlete/runner and knows how to hang out and keep his eyes open (from his outfielding days), making a nice recon guy.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"](question from non-sports guy: is a farm club the same as minor league?)
[/quote]

Yes and no. Farm clubs are always minor league teams associated to major league teams as a pool of potential players. However, you can have a minor league team without it being associated to the majors (known usually as an independent team). Typically, those are just teams of players who aren't good enough to play in the majors (or who were never drafted and discovered).

BTW, great entry!

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="mordraine"]Yes and no. Farm clubs are always minor league teams associated to major league teams as a pool of potential players. However, you can have a minor league team without it being associated to the majors (known usually as an independent team). Typically, those are just teams of players who aren't good enough to play in the majors (or who were never drafted and discovered).[/quote]

Ah, like FARMing for new players. I gotcha.

[quote]BTW, great entry![/quote]

Thanks. I figure, what's more american than the baseballer fighting for his country?

Also, I say Albert still has to name him ;)

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

doughboy clancy wade woolpert.

nickname: rabbitfoot
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I'm always rabidly in favor of anything involving minor league baseball. One of the ideas for this game I was tossing around before we settled on the noir thing was for all of you to be low-powered mutants on a minor-league baseball team (the majors don't take mutants, y'know).

Good stuff, guys. Don't take me too seriously about the order of things, obviously; it's just the process I tend to go through when writing. Where the characters lives (or is from) will usually have a lot to do with his profession, and his profession tends to lead me to his name. But whatever. All right, now go invent your war stories.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Do we have an idea of what sort of unit we were in? Is it a 'special' unit doing special ops stuff, or a regular unit with metas included (or all metas)? Infantry, air, naval, etc? Maybe the meta unit just breaks off in twos or threes when missions call for it?
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Do we have an idea of what sort of unit we were in? Is it a 'special' unit doing special ops stuff, or a regular unit with metas included (or all metas)? Infantry, air, naval, etc? Maybe the meta unit just breaks off in twos or threes when missions call for it?[/quote]
It can be pretty much whatever you want it to be; as far as I'm concerned, it's mostly background. It might've been an all-meta unit, an integrated unit, etc.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

We're going to keep our war stories about Clancy until the first session, right?

Also, my thoughts on our unit - since we know Clancy, it's probably an integrated unit. It could be that metas are something similar to medics. There were always a few included in every army unit.

I like the idea of us being a part of the infantry in the army. We probably didn't take part in the Normandy landing or Iwo Jima or anything (too valuable for that up-front shock-troop type of action), but we probably got placed inside fairly soon afterwards. I know my guy, Stephen Swift, was used behind enemy lines a lot, due to his talents. I'd also like it that we operated in the European theater, as opposed to the Pacific theater. But that's just me.