Episode 1: The Return

A play by post game run and moderated by BlanchPrez
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Doc, wondering if his scanner would even pick up non-life forms, gives it a try anyway.
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Commander Dra speaks into the communicator "This is Commander Dra of Star Fleet. Please lay prone on the floor. We're going to make an attempt at rescuing you. Do you understand?"
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"][OOC - BlanchPrez: let me know if Wraith would think it feasible to cut through with only a couplel people on each hole. I've seen them do it on the TV show, but I'm sure it depends on the rock we're dealing with, etc..etc.. If Wraith would think we would have a better shot with everyone on one hole, we'll go with that instead I guess.. If Wraith wouldn't know, then we'll do the above and see what happens ][/quote]

There's only one door into the room with the robots and scientests. As for how many can cut it with their phsasers, two would be the most that could fit.

I'm not sure if that answers your question...

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[Hmmm. . I think I may have misread things a little. After reviewing the original info, I'm thinking that if the robots with their beam weapons are taking a while to get through the metal of the room, we would probably be stymied with our phasers - at least for a quick entry and assault.

That being the case, Wraith would have suggested going through the door, either squeezing by when it opens more or by trying to open it with the control panel (there's one on the outside of the door right?)]
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"][Hmmm. . I think I may have misread things a little. After reviewing the original info, I'm thinking that if the robots with their beam weapons are taking a while to get through the metal of the room, we would probably be stymied with our phasers - at least for a quick entry and assault.

That being the case, Wraith would have suggested going through the door, either squeezing by when it opens more or by trying to open it with the control panel (there's one on the outside of the door right?)][/quote]

There is a control panel. It's next to the door, and you could probably blast it to get the door open as well as drop the door's force field.

Chris

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]There is a control panel. It's next to the door, and you could probably blast it to get the door open as well as drop the door's force field.[/quote]

[and here I was making things all complicated ]

"Ok, those robots obviously have control over the forcefields - they turned them on and can turn them off and kill the scientists whenever they please - which may be what happened to the ones that are already dead. The longer we discuss it, the greater the chance of further death becomes. The scientists have tried reasoning with the robots already I'm sure - If anyone has a brilliant idea, now's the time. Otherwise, grab your phaser and let's go!"

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Dixon sets his phaser ot he highest setting.

"Gimme the word, Captain."
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Doc grins a chishire cat grin, "I'm ready Captain!" But then he thinks that perhaps he should mention, "Captain, I didn't get any readings on a lone robot but that doesn't mean it isn't still around. Should we leave a rear guard so that we don't get trapped in a crosfire in the room?"
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

"Yes, we still don't know the wherabouts/status of the last robot, so everyone will need to be on guard. A rear-guard is an excellent idea - who's volunteering?"
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Commander Dra says "We may have to think more than just rear guard. For all we know the robot is on the surface or has sealed our exit. Captain, I recommend we breach with Dixon taking out the control and I'll take out the exposed robots with the captain. Doc will rescue and lead the hostages...Captain Sslarr you can do either rescue or take out the robots. I would think taking out robots most preferable...The other option is to delay and have two go tothe surface. In that case, Dix and myself could do that."
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Sslarr simply looked at Dra, then sidelong at Capt. Wraith. Her comments sounded very close to commands to his ears, and behavior like that would never have been tolerated on a Gorn starship.

"I will attack the robots, of course. The Gorn scientists in there would expect no less."

He could wait no longer. "Let's go!" he snarled. He looked around briefly to make sure everyone was armed and ready, then stepped decisively to the door. He shot his blaster directly into the control panel, then readied himself to jump through as soon the force-field dropped and the door opened.

[OOC - Chris, do I need a roll to blast the control panel? Or can we assume that the door will open?]
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

<.. at least these Gorn seem to have as much difficulty with our ways as we have with theirs. Why, that was almost bafflement on his face I'll warrant...>

"Dix, I guess my fellow captain is on point - so I'm gonna need you as rear guard. We'll need your phaser up here, but keep an eye out behind us, eh? Let's move!"

Wraith approaches the door a half meter behind Sslarr, covering the entrance as the gorn takes the panel out.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[No roll needed in this case.]

The Gorn phaser blast streaks out an angry red and strikes the control pannel, causing it to shatter into a million tiny particles. With that blast, the door itself finally opens all the way, and there is a brief flicker of energy as the force field blocking the door drops.

Inside the room, two of the robots turn at the sound, but make no immedate action otherwise. The others continue to drill through the wall and rock.

Chris
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Once a clear path is visable Doc will make his way toward the scientists. His main concern will be the wounded Gorn. If any robots are threatening, he will, of course, fire upon them. Otherwise his concern will be for the scientists.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Sslarr leapt into the room and, with a snarling battle cry, fired his blaster at the nearest robot that turned to them.

[OOC - what do I need to do now? Roll, right?]
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Dixon moves to the right, positioning himself so he can cover the entire room, including the door they just came in. He then lines up and fires a shot on the second robot that turned.
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Commander Dra tumbles off into the room along the wall and fires at robots while advancing toward the scientist. After she fires she exclaims "I'll get the scientist! Doc follow me..."

Commander Dra thinks "...Oh boy, here we go! That Gorn captain so sexy when he takes charge like that."
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Doc, thinking again that he might need to pull Commandre Dra in for further psych evaluation, follows none the less. His phaser is drawn but he is intent on reaching and giving aid more than anything else. Once he reaches the scientists, he will exchange his phaser for his tricorder and med kit.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[not sure how we're handling combat here... post actions then do rolls and figure out what happened? Also, did Sslarr's blast take out both forcefields, or just the door one?]

Wraith enters the room after Sslarr, keeping low and alert.

[option 1 - if both forcefields were taken out]

He will cover the Doc's move, firing on any robot that seems to threaten the Doctor. If they are ignoring the Doctor, then Wraith will fire on the other robot that took notice of the crews' entrance (the one Sslarr does not fire on).

[option 2 - if the scientists are still trapped]

Wraith will try and locate the control panel for the remaining forcefield (yelling to the scientists and asking if necessary), then he will shoot that, hoping it will shut it off just like the prior field.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="mordraine"][OOC - what do I need to do now? Roll, right?][/quote]

Correct. I got Dix's roll alrady, I need yours for shooting at the robot.

Dra will need to sene me a roll as well.

Doc and the Captain seem to be holding their actions until something happens, so no rolls needed from them.

That just leaves our communication officer. Cthulhu, tell me what you're doing.

Chris

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Sslarr's blaster once again streaks an angry red beam at the robot. Though his quick action caught the robot by surprise, it also set off his aim, and his beam only just bearly hit the robot. The weapon arm of the robot glows a hot red for a moment, and then stops. It appears that Sslarr's shot disabled the robot's weapon.

Dixon's shot, however, was far better aimed, and the blue-white steam of phased energy hit the robot square in it's chest. The entire robot glows a light blue that slowly get's brighter until it's a solid white. When the glow dissapears, only ashes remain of the robot.

Dra sends a shot towards the robot guarding the scientests, who are still trapped behind the force field, but are laying flat on the ground, none daring to look up. Her shot, however, goes wide, missing the robot to hit harmlessly against the wall behind him.

Wraith quickly scans the room, and quickly finds a controll pannel next to the robot Dra shot at. Taking a chance that this is the force field control pannel, he fires, hitting it square on despite its small size. Smoke and fire explode from the pannel, and the force field flickers off.

Doc takes the opportunity to slip in and start scanning the scientests, quickly finding the injured Gorn. A quick shot from his hypospray stablezes the wounded alien.

Meanwhile, the robots do not simply stand by while being shot at.

The guard robot fires back at Dra with his blaster, but his shot was just as hastey and missed her as well thank's to her quick reflexes.

The two robots that were drilling quickly turn and start heading towards the scientests and Doc, their weapons still primed.

The final robot with the damaged weapon flies straight at Sslarr, attempting to grappel with the captain. The large gorn's great strenghth, however, allows him to grasp the robot's arms and prevent himself being pinned, though he can not do anything else but struggle at the moment.

[Mord, I made a grappel roll for you for this action, just to keep the action moving.]

Chris
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[OOC - I resent Gorn being called "aliens". As far as we're concerned, all you humans are the aliens]

Sslarr snarled at the robot as he struggled with it. His eyes glowed a malevolent golden as he tried to get his blaster arm free.

[OOC - Is it possible for Sslarr to free his arm to make a point-blank shot? If not, would it be possible to try to throw the robot off him and into the nearest wall? Depending on which is more possible to do, that will be Sslarr's next action.]
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="mordraine"][OOC - I resent Gorn being called "aliens". As far as we're concerned, all you humans are the [i]aliens[/i]][/quote]

I'll work on that.

[quote="mordraine"][OOC - Is it possible for Sslarr to free his arm to make a point-blank shot? If not, would it be possible to try to throw the robot off him and into the nearest wall? Depending on which is more possible to do, that will be Sslarr's next action.][/quote]

It is possible to free your arm and make a point blank shot, but that would be two actions. You have a better chance of throwing the robot off and into the nearest wall.

Chris

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[OOC: See, I thought BlanchPrez was alternating - his first post where Sslarr shoots the control panel was from a 'Gorn' camera, and this last from a 'Federation' one ;) - So next post he can call Wraith a 'wierd looking human' or something :)]

Wraith will let Sslarr take care of that robot (unless he looks to be in a bad way), and will try and make sure the others don't reach the scientists or anyone near the door. He'll take a shot at any robot going towards the scientists and the doc, or he'll shoot the nearest one if they are all coming his way.

[Can I also look about and see if I can spot the 'missing' bot anywhere, or does that take a combat action? I'll save it for later if it does]
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Dixon assesses the situation and line up another shot on one of the other robots, allowing Sslar time to grapple with the one he has.

That big lizard's strong enough. But I'll keep an eye on that situation all the same. He thinks to himself.

[ooc - If Sslar looks to be getting into trouble, Dixon will run in and shoulder-block the robot, trying to free Sslar for an open shot. If he manages to dislodge the robot, Dixon will turn and fire on one of the remaining robots.]
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"][Can I also look about and see if I can spot the 'missing' bot anywhere, or does that take a combat action? I'll save it for later if it does][/quote]

No, that won't take a combat action.

Chris

opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Once Doc's patient is stable, he will check the other scientists, administering where and when needed. Once finished, if the battle is still progressing, he will switch to his phaser and fire at the nearest robot. If the battle is finished, he will report to the Captain the status of the scientists and make recommendations. If, while ministering to the scientists the Doc is attacked by a robot, he will, of course strive to reciprocate.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[OOC - Oh man, I hate that stupid dice roll generator page. Got yet another crappy roll. Sheesh! BlanchPrez, it's in the mail.]
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Commander Dra fires again while covering the Doc and shouts "Patch it and get them out!"

[OCC- BTW I'm playing a woman...just a reminder when writting. Much like Sslarr is not an alien]
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Skyman"][OCC- BTW I'm playing a woman...just a reminder when writting. Much like Sslarr is not an alien][/quote]

When did I not refer to Dra as a woman?

Chris

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]When did I not refer to Dra as a woman?

Chris[/quote]

My Bad...reminder when reading too fast

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, I need a roll from Dra, Wraith and Dix.

Chris
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Okay, I need a roll from Dra, Wraith and Dix.

Chris[/quote]

[Does Sslar look to need an assist?]

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"][Does Sslar look to need an assist?][/quote]

ooops.... miss-read your post. Okay, you're basically holding your action. Still need rolls for Dra and Wraith.

You know what? You're going to fire in either case, give me a roll, and I'll let you know where the shot went.

Chris

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[you didn't get my last roll, entitled 'Wraith - attack on robots (round 2)' ?

It was a 10 (5, 1, +4) - I can reroll if you didn't get it]
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"][you didn't get my last roll, entitled 'Wraith - attack on robots (round 2)' ?

It was a 10 (5, 1, +4) - I can reroll if you didn't get it][/quote]

That roller gets an inordinate amount of 1's.

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="mordraine"]That roller gets an inordinate amount of 1's.[/quote]
[Not for me! I get an inordinate amount of 6's. :sly: ]

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"][you didn't get my last roll, entitled 'Wraith - attack on robots (round 2)' ?

It was a 10 (5, 1, +4) - I can reroll if you didn't get it][/quote]

[He obviously didn't get mine either that I sent yesterday]

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Sslarr struggles with the robot, but though his mightly muscles strain against it, seems to have trouble getting it off of him. Dixon, however, spoting this, charges and throws his shoulders into the robot, throwing it off the Gorn and slaming it and himself into the ground.

Meanwhile, Wraith and Dra fire on the robots advancing towards the prisoners, both mising the moving targets. The robots return fire, one hitting Dra and stunning her (she's out for the next 2 rounds, assuming things go that long). The scientests take advantage of the distracted robots to crall towards Doc, who can now lead them towards the entrance.

Chris
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[I reckon we're posting actions again, yes?]

Wraith mutters a couple curses as Dra goes down and his shot goes wide.

Doc! Commander Dra is down! I know you've got your hands full, but let's move as quick as we can. Anyone who does not need immediate attention and can move on their own, let's get them out now.

The Captain then fires on the remaining (upright) robots again - still paying extra attention to any that might start to go after the scientists or the Doc (or Commander Dra for that matter).
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Dixon tucks into his best combat roll, trying to position himself to fire, from the prone position if necessary, at the remaining upright robot, trusting Sslar to take care of the one he just shoulder-blocked.

Let's see some of that warrior stuff, Sslar! He thinks to himself.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Commander Dra shouts "Holy...Owwww Arrrrgh!" *She gets spun by the shot*

Commander Dra thinks incoherently "...fuzzy...I feel...fuzzy..."
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Doc gets one of the male scientists to help him with the wounded Gorn, shouts to the other scientists to follow him, and, after exchanging his tricorder for his phaser, heads for the exit. He is a little worried that the missing robot is going to be waiting for them when they leave this room...
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Sslarr took only a quick moment to nod thanks to the human security officer, then spun and shot his blaster at the robot he was struggling with.

[OOC - Sslarr the mighty warrior!!! Another horrid role on the way Chris. I'm having bad luck with that dice page. Argh!]
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Doc and a couple one of the male scientests gather up the wounded Gorn, while the rest of the group scrambles towards the door, keeping as low as possible.

Meanwhile, Wraith fires off a covering shot, still missing the robots, but drawing their attention away from the scientests.

While Dix pulls himself off the floor, Sslarr fires, and thanks to the robot being prone, hits it, causing the robot to dissapear in a flash of red light.

The two remaining robots fire on Wraith, but both miss. One, however, moves close to the human captain, looking as if he plans on grappling him.

Chris
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Wraith, trying to take out the robot before it grabs him, takes the direct approach and tries to knock the thing back (hopefully into the other approaching bot - if possible). That should clear a little more room for the Doc and the scientists to get to the door behind the captain.

[BlanchPrez - you can use one of my 'oops' rolls, or I'll roll again if you want - as the modifier should be different for this action.. i put the dice roller on a favorite instead of leaving an open tab - so you shouldn't get any more 'page refresh' rolls from me ;)]
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Commander Dra shakes her head and feels the ache of the strain on her muscles from the stun blast. Everything seems so hazy and chaotic.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"][BlanchPrez - you can use one of my 'oops' rolls, or I'll roll again if you want - as the modifier should be different for this action.. i put the dice roller on a favorite instead of leaving an open tab - so you shouldn't get any more 'page refresh' rolls from me ][/quote]

One of those rolls will work.

Chris

opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Doc, expecting a robot ambush at any minute, heads for the surface. He shouts encouragement, urging the scientists to keep moving...
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

The Gorn captain grunted with satisfaction as his shot hit the robot and disrupted it to nothingness. Then he turned quickly and surveyed the rest of the room. Captain Wraith was being threatened, so he took aim and shot at one of the robots closing in on him.

[OOC- dice roll on the way. Here's hoping it's a better roll! edit: nope, it's not.]