The Big OOC Thread

A play by post game run and moderated by BlanchPrez
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

The Big OOC Thread

Post by BlanchPrez »

This thread can be used for any and all Out of Character discussions you want to have, so that way we don't bog down the episode threads. :)

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Hey, in the time of TOS, wasn't there some sort of universal translator kinda thing? I'm asking, obviously, because if not communication between Sslarr and the earthlings might be sorta difficult even with the communications officer who speaks Gorn being there.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="mordraine"]Hey, in the time of TOS, wasn't there some sort of universal translator kinda thing? I'm asking, obviously, because if not communication between Sslarr and the earthlings might be sorta difficult even with the communications officer who speaks Gorn being there.[/quote]

There is, it's a big, bulky device. However, if you check Sslarr's sheet, he speaks Federation Standard (i.e., common), so he can talk to everyone else just fine.

Chris

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

oh.

nevermind.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Hrm... thought of a few more questions - is the Sleesstak similarly equipped as the Challenger? And I assume I or my first officer would have available to us equipment such as the Gorn version of a Tricorder and a communicator and whatnot?
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

No. You're buck-naked with a stone knife. :lol:
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="mordraine"]Hrm... thought of a few more questions - is the Sleesstak similarly equipped as the Challenger? And I assume I or my first officer would have available to us equipment such as the Gorn version of a Tricorder and a communicator and whatnot?[/quote]

The Challenger is a light/research cruiser. It's primary function is scientific research, but is capable of defense missions as well. It's not the best ship for offense, but it does defense well.

The Sleesstak would be more like a frigate. Better at offense than the Challenger, but not as well equiped with sensers and scientific equipment.

If it came down to a fight, the two ships would probably be pretty evenly matched. Challenger would be slighter faster with better shields, but you would hold the advantage in weapons and pure offensive power.

As for equipment, you carry disruptors as side arms (only stun and kill settings, unlike a phaser, which has like 5 settings). Otherwise, yes, you have Gorn tricorders and communicators, et al.

Chris

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Here's a link with some Gorn ships. Which would be the Sleesstak?

http://www.70disco.com/startrek/gornship.htm
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

I am assuming that we all are equipped with hand phasers and communicators as well.
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I always liked the Gorn ships from Starfleet battles better. Your ship looks like this.

Or, here's a 3D picture of a bunch of ships.

The Sleesstak would be the little one on the right hand side.

Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Also, to answer the good doctor's unspoken question.... Gorn have no tails.

Although, according to this site, they do, but they're tiny.

Chris
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

w00t! The Sleesstak!

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I think spock was also the chief science officer but who cares
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

When alone with his friends does the Captain go by Richard or Rick? Or is he a Dick?
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Hey guys,I'm home with a sick baby. I'll try to grt a post made today, but it may be a while.Chris
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="opwunder"]When alone with his friends does the Captain go by Richard or Rick? Or is he a Dick?[/quote]

I think he goes by Rich, actually ;)

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]I think he goes by Rich, actually ]
I'll go with that since he is in the wrong branch of the military to be calling him a major dic
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Gah, I'm having formatting issues.Chris
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

One suggestion: Choose either past or present tense in your posts and stick to it. It's a bit disconcerting to have you switch back and forth. Just a little advice. :smile:

Otherwise, this looks like it's gonna get real interesting here. :wink:
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I take it you're refering to Dra and the flow of thought crap I got going?
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"]One suggestion: Choose either past or present tense in your posts and stick to it. It's a bit disconcerting to have you switch back and forth. Just a little advice. :smile:

Otherwise, this looks like it's gonna get real interesting here. :wink:[/quote]

Good point... it's a bad habbit I have. I'll work on that for future posts.

Chris

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I thought it was me.....waaaaah!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

No, I'm referring to Chris' post. Not a big deal, but it makes it a bit hard to follow for me.
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

When I do something, like run a scan on someone or do something that the others would not know the result of, will you pm the results or...?
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="opwunder"]When I do something, like run a scan on someone or do something that the others would not know the result of, will you pm the results or...?[/quote]

Yeah, if it's something that others would not know the results of, I will PM you the results. Especially if you note that you don't want the others to know the results.

Chris

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Mordraine -just a quick question - were you speaking in Gorn to your officer (or maybe he knows federation common as well?) I assume that, if not stated, everyone would be speaking in the common language - but that sounded like an 'aside', so I was just wondering
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Mordraine -just a quick question - were you speaking in Gorn to your officer (or maybe he knows federation common as well?) I assume that, if not stated, everyone would be speaking in the common language - but that sounded like an 'aside', so I was just wondering[/quote]

Yeah, Sslarr was speaking in Gorn to Korff. It was definitely an aside. One of your crewmembers speaks Gorn I believe, but Sslarr wouldn't know that.

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

So, is it me, or did this thing die as quickly as Mord's Exalted game? :lol:
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Oh, good, I thought it was just me. I feel like I can think of things to do but not that Doc would do them so I'm just kinda hanging it out waiting for others to do something or something to happen....I could always make sure that Dix is caugfht up on his yearly physical...
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Sorry, guys. I still want to do this. It's just super busy here at work due to V-Day.

I'll start this back up again on Monday.

Chris
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="opwunder"]I could always make sure that Dix is caugfht up on his yearly physical...[/quote]
This ain't "Broke-Trek Mountain!" :sly:

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Sorry, guys. I still want to do this. It's just super busy here at work due to V-Day.

I'll start this back up again on Monday.

Chris[/quote]

And yet you found the time to write up a background for your latest CoV Alt. :rolleyes:

opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

[quote="Gotetsu"]This ain't "Broke-Trek Mountain!" :sly:[/quote]
and you know this because........?

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Cuz it ain't, dagnabbit! Now put those rubber gloves away, Doc!

(Funny thing: when I first wrote "dagnabbit" I accidentally wrote "fagnabbit") :lol:
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"]And yet you found the time to write up a background for your latest CoV Alt. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Because that was mostly already written. This requires more energy and focus than I can put into it right now. Deal.

Chris

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Deal? Ok. 5 cards for me, 5 cards for you. Ante up! :P

I'm just harrassing you, ya big jerk!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Play on words, freud slips...blanche, really it couldn't have taken you too long to get flowers for her:)
I kid
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I wonder if we should have taken a 'redshirt' like Ensign Ricky along for the rear-guard? :mrgreen:

I did try to put Korff there, but he just had to stay on his ship...
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]I wonder if we should have taken a 'redshirt' like Ensign Ricky along for the rear-guard? :mrgreen:

I did try to put Korff there, but he just had to stay on his ship...[/quote]

Oops sorry. I think we'll be okay.

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

No prob, you were just protecting your crew, I can dig it :mrgreen:

Let's just hope that Korff isn't the type to make a coup attempt and attack the Challenger if we get stuck on-planet and he doesn't hear from you.
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Just remember, the medical staff doesn't even own a red shirt!:mrgreen:
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Let's just hope that Korff isn't the type to make a coup attempt and attack the Challenger if we get stuck on-planet and he doesn't hear from you.[/quote]

Hey, that's a good idea! :smash:

Chris

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Hey, that's a good idea! :smash:

Chris[/quote]

D'oh! Note to self: remember to keep sneaky GM-type comments to self when BlanchPrez is around :sly:

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Just a small related tangent...Captain Kirk is 75
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

BlanchPrez - I sent a roll as well, so you'll have it if Wraith needs to fire. I hope he does, cause that was an awesome roll! ;)

Course I may have gotten it wrong.. I did 2d6 plus my ranged combat skill. I think that's right.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]BlanchPrez - I sent a roll as well, so you'll have it if Wraith needs to fire. I hope he does, cause that was an awesome roll! ]

Well that's what I did too, so if you did it wrong, so did I! I, unfortunately, didn't get that great of a roll. Rats.
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

[quote="mordraine"]Well that's what I did too, so if you did it wrong, so did I! I, unfortunately, didn't get that great of a roll. Rats.[/quote]
Rats? Rats? We don't need no stinkin' rats...

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="mordraine"]Well that's what I did too, so if you did it wrong, so did I! I, unfortunately, didn't get that great of a roll. Rats.[/quote]
That's what I did too. Also got an awesome roll. Go Federation!

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Just for fun, I did a little analysis on the dice roller. I did 10,000 d6 rolls and averaged. With a d6, the average should turn out to be 3.5.

And, surprisingly enough, it seems a little low at:

I think we should all complain to these guys that their free dice roller is off a nearly 3 thou in 10,000 rolls :mrgreen: You know, either that or congratulate them on making a pretty darn accurate roller that they let anyone use for free...
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

someone sit on the remote and hit the pause button?