Best places for Coffee in San Diego IYO

Reviews of games, books, products, etc.
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Best places for Coffee in San Diego IYO

Post by mrlost »

Not certain that this shouldn't be in Spam or Debate. Move it if you feel the need. Move it! move it!

Anyway, I was just reading ekomega's response to my suggestion that we meet at the Living Room on college and it got me thinking. Where are the best places for a cup of mud in San Diego. I usually go to Gelato Vero, Lestat's or the Living Room when I really want coffee and not hot chocolate (my usual hot drink of choice after sugar tea).

So suggest some places, review the drinks and atmosphere too. Its just as important in my book.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm not big on coffee myself. My selections are based entirely on atmosphere, and San Diego has a wealth of coffee shops with nice atmosphere. Here are the ones I've been to that I liked:

Filter (North Park)
LeStat's (Normal Heights)
Kensington Coffee Company (Kensington)
Claire De Lune (North Park)
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Rebecca's in South Park is a pretty good place, from what my wife tells me. I'm not big on coffee either.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

I occasionally like the Living Room in Point Loma, but it's lately filled with idiotic USD and PLNU students. It's right by Shelter Island.

I almost never drink coffee, though.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Rebecca's in South Park is a pretty good place, from what my wife tells me. I'm not big on coffee either.

Chris[/quote]

I like Rebecca's as well

Mords list is the expected

some others to consider:

Urban Grind

Lily's Garden Cafe

Thac0 Washis NameO

Post by Thac0 Washis NameO »

There's Cafe Tazza in Chula Vista right off 805.

Last time I was in there it seemed pretty spacious and relaxed.

Me? I'm not much for the hoity-toity coffee shops. Yanno, the ones that give you a funny look when you say "Large coffee. Black".
2*3*3*37 - the prime factorization of the Beast.
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Hey, if they don't serve Pepsi I don't go....
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="opwunder"]Hey, if they don't serve Pepsi I don't go....[/quote]

If they serve coffee I don't go...

**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

Anyone bought beans from Cafe Calabria and can tell me how good they are?

It's nice to have a local roaster, and we're excited to check them out. Any recommendations, or comments would be great.

I think a good scale for rating coffee beans is 1 to 10, where 1 is Starbucks and 10 is roasting them yourself and you are some kind of roasting god who went to roasting college and owns expensive roasting equipment.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"]I'm not big on coffee myself. My selections are based entirely on atmosphere, and San Diego has a wealth of coffee shops with nice atmosphere. Here are the ones I've been to that [/quote]

I do like coffee but agree with Mord in that it is about the atmosphere and not the actual coffee. I'll second Filters and I also like the Living Room in Old Town. I found Lestat's do always be crowded.

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="ekomega"]Anyone bought beans from Cafe Calabria and can tell me how good they are?

It's nice to have a local roaster, and we're excited to check them out. Any recommendations, or comments would be great.

I think a good scale for rating coffee beans is 1 to 10, where 1 is Starbucks and 10 is roasting them yourself and you are some kind of roasting god who went to roasting college and owns expensive roasting equipment.[/quote]

While I been there I am not a coffee drinker.

Nice place but my friends were not wowed by the coffee

JALU3
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by JALU3 »

[quote="Thac0 Washis NameO"]There's Cafe Tazza in Chula Vista right off 805.

Last time I was in there it seemed pretty spacious and relaxed.

Me? I'm not much for the hoity-toity coffee shops. Yanno, the ones that give you a funny look when you say "Large coffee. Black".[/quote]

You know every time I go by there to either Cotaxan or Coldstones it seems to be pretty busy. Although I have never gotten anything there myself. But you know what they say, success breeds success. And if so many people go there, and continue to go there, it must mean something.

Myself, for Coffee I normally am getting it in the middle of the night, since I work grave, so I go to the Starbucks on Convoy in front of the Dixieline. They open at 0430 on weekdays, and 0530 on weekends. So it's something for the final hours to keep me wide awake.

Either that or the drive thru Starbucks on Plaza in National City on the way into work.

Their good, for setting a standard, but not something that I would go all gaga for or necessarily recommend to a friend.

I think if a place is someplace that you would drive out of your way for, or want to go back to after being out of town for a while than it is definatly someplace to recommend to others.

For instance, on another subject, Hodads in OB. Awesome burger (even though I would say the French Fries @ In & Out are better).

Now back to coffee. The Living Room on Rosecrans is nice, and the people there are friendly. Unfortunatly as others have said alot of University kids from PLNU frequent it and make it pretty crowded, so... go when they have class and you'll have the most of the place to yourself :wink:

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." -Sloan, Section Thirty-One
DeviantArt Our Myspace WoW AMV Playlist MAL Support US Servicemembers
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="ekomega"]Anyone bought beans from Cafe Calabria and can tell me how good they are?

It's nice to have a local roaster, and we're excited to check them out. Any recommendations, or comments would be great.[/quote]
not a regular java drinker myself, but have had a cuppa joe there, and it is pretty damn good. i'd give 'em a shot if you haven't. just be sure you show up by 3pm, when they close. i've also heard tell their beans are a good buy.

Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

I am a coffee drinker, though haven't had much in the way of local coffee.

Having spent a good deal of time in Berkeley, I became a Peet's loyalist. Buy the beans whole and grind 'em yourself and you have a fine cup of coffee, especially Major Dickason's and Fair Trade Blends.
There are plenty of locations where you can procure yourself some Peet's, but I wouldn't hang out in one as the ambience is way stuffy, especially when located in a strip mall.