Pathfinder Beta Rocks!

Reviews of games, books, products, etc.
Sven
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Pathfinder Beta Rocks!

Post by Sven »

I don’t know how many of you are aware of Paizo Publishing’s Pathfinder Beta but this is one of the niftiest products I have found in a while. And it’s free (PDF): http://paizo.com/store/downloads/pathfi ... 48btpy84o0

It has been referred to on RPG.net as “D&D 3.6” which is actually close to the mark they took the OGL and tweaked it. If you can play 3.5 then Pathfinder Beta will be a very comfortable, pleasing change.

The changes tend to most pronounced on the classes that do not cast spells. For instance fighters now get bonuses to armor and weapon usage every few levels as well as bonuses to fear checks. Barbarians now get “rage points” instead of rage X number of times per day… these point scan be used on specific “rage abilities” as well as the regular “barbarian rage” that we all know and love. These are just two examples.

There are changes to spell-casting classes as well sorcerers now get “bloodline” abilities depending on the source of their power. The Wizard “school abilities” are also quite nice (such as a permanently available ranged magic attack). Spell casters do not get quite the amount of extras that non-spell-casters do in large part for balance in later levels, but EVERYONE gets something every level.

Another welcome change is in how several feats work. For instance “Cleave” is now an extra attack if the first attack hits rather than if an opponent goes down. Dodge takes up a swift action but the bonus to AC is against ALL opponents. Overall the improvements make sense.

My one complaint about Pathfinder Beta is the lack of an index. This is a pet peeve of mine with gaming books ESPECIALLY the core book. This problem does not dim my enthusiasm over Pathfinder Beta, it is still an annoyance.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

downloaded! thanks for posting this. i'm looking forward to reading it.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

We did a brief playtest of the Pathfinder Alpha when it came out. We found it to be pretty darn close to 3.5.

The rage points thing... that's gotta be my least-favorite aspect of Pathfinder. Nothing screams "barbarian rage!" like bookkeeping. Plus, some of the rage abilities are just nonsensical, IMO. Low-light vision? "I'm so angry, not only can I see straight, I can see in the dark!"

It seems like a fine game in and of itself, but I certainly don't think it's the 3.5-compatible product Paizo set out to create in the beginning.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Drew
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Drew »

I'm playing a high level monthly game of pathfinder (just starting) and am really enjoying it. Made a computer animation as my character introduction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA8A-9TmbO0

Bet you can figure out what class he is. :)
In an infinite universe anything is not only possible, it's inevitable.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Cool vid