Speaking of Dune...

The Unbreakable Union
mordraine

Speaking of Dune...

Post by mordraine »

What will the setting be? Any guidelines on period? Any guidelines on what type of character we should pick?
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Yes. We should probably make characters together because you're all going to need cohesive concepts. The period will be probably late in the year 10191. The Atreides have been wiped off of the planet and beast Rabban rules, squeezing the planet in preparation for the coming of the intended savior-ruler na-Baron Feyd Rautha.

Further information about requirements for characters will be forthcoming.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

hey neuro & winter, i'm still working on my character, mordekai the mentat pilot, and wanted to know if i should post it up here, pm, or email it you when i'm done. lemme know.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

BTW, how'd my guy come out?
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I didn't stat anything, I needed you all to get concepts together. If you want to work on statting him with me, we can do that before the game next time. Alternately, I can mostly put him together for you and you can put the finishing touches on.

As for where to post your stuff, go ahead and post it here if you don't mind. I'd like for you all to have some open communication about your concepts and maybe find ways to build relationships between your characters ahead of time, so that you start out with some common ground on this spice crawler.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Hey, yeah, speaking of Dune, I have a solid character concept complete with plot hooks from Mord, who now only needs a sheet. From the rest of you, I need some kind of statement about your characters and we need to work them together a bit, somehow. That means that I need you all to post at least basic statements about your characters, and a little in the way of background would be nice. The sooner you do this, the sooner Winter and I can finish writing the story. Also, the sooner you start this, the sooner I can help you work out any kinks in your ideas. If you're having problems with your concept, now's the time to say so. Mord, can you post your general idea for folks?

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Dmitri Burhan

Basic concept is communcations officer on board a sandcrawler. Born on Arrakis in the Capitol or Arrakeen during Harkonnen rule he grew up poor.

Dmitri was brought up to beleive the fremen are tourists and still beleives this though his mother is sympathetic to their cause. Dmitri never met his father but his mother has hinted that he is involved with the fremen.

He got his first break and got to serve in the Harkonnen military. He served for 4 years and got out asap as it was horrible experience.

His experience as a communications officer with the Harkennen was enough to get him employment as a harvester communications officer. The job proved to be just as dangerous as serving the military as the carry-all would wait to the last minute before the worm would arrive. There had been many stories of when the carry-all waited a little too long.

All of a sudden the Harkonnen were gone and replaced by the Atrietes. However, one house is as bad as another so no one thought anything would change. Not until a carry all that was suppose to pick up Dmitri's Harvester went missing. However, Duke Leto ordered the miners to board his Ornithopter and abandon the spice.

Dmitri was loyal to the Atriedes ever since. However, it was short lived as the Atriedes were overthrown by the Harkonnen. Now, Dmitri serves the Harkonnen under one of their worst, Rabbon.

Dmitri can't stand the idea of serving the Harkonnen again and is looking for a way to get away. He is even thinking that the terrorist fremen might have a point.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Everything about that made me happy. I love that he has opinions about who's in charge and that he has a past with them. Fremen terrorists made me laugh out loud with glee. Thank you.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Neuro"]Everything about that made me happy. I love that he has opinions about who's in charge and that he has a past with them. Fremen terrorists made me laugh out loud with glee. Thank you.[/quote]

I don't suppose you can stat him up. I don't have the book.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I hate stating things possibly more than I hate the cold, or the morning.

I think we have gurps chargen programs here. I think I recommend that everyone who isn't statted stat themselves at the beginning of the next game. Or else ask Winter. Very nicely.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Conner Panez

Conner is a Ginaz Swordmaster. He's looking for his daughter, who's a member of the Bene Gesserit, and who got caught while spying on the Harkonen, currently being held, according to recently acquired intel, in Carthag.

Conner was the Swordmaster for a minor house in league with the Atreides. Once the shit hit the fan re: Harkonen vs. Atreides, most people on his side headed out. But when Conner's daughter, Karin, was captured, Conner couldn't leave without her.

At the moment, Conner is working as the Security Officer aboard the sandcrawler, biding his time, keeping his head low. He's hoping for a chance to save his daughter.

I'll stat Conner up with Winter at the next session.
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

Jude Lawrence

Born to the Sayyadina of the Sunset Seitch (Somewhere far away from everything except Jacaruto) . His youth was fast and brutal, learning the ways of the Freemen. In his early teens he met up with his best friend Seth. The two of them were inseparable for two years developing a bond that was beyond friendship. They managed to keep their secret love, but unfortunately fate had something else planned. During Seth's test of manhood he had an unfortunate accident, and the worm rolled on top of him. Seth was crushed instantly, with him went Jude's spirit. Jude somehow managed to pass his test right afterwords. Jude was in complete shock, and it was almost like someone else was guiding his hands and his feet. He managed to ride the worm, and pass the test. Soon after he left the Seitch, knowing that there was more in the world to see than the struggle for survival here. He cashed in all his water rings, and headed towards the closest city.

Jacaruto didn't exactly welcome him with open arms, but a capable set of hands wouldn't be turned away either. He stumbled into a job working in a spice harvester with some smugglers. Here be began to become acclimated with the wider world around him. He learned the ways of both the smuggler, and the basic workings of a spice harvester.

One fatefully day his team was mining far away from the so-called safe haven of Jacaruto. The harvester team had found a huge blow of spice in the deep desert. As they were harvesting, one of the scout ornithopters called out for worm sign. Everyone went on red alert then, and they had less then 5 minutes to get the carryall to take them away. Everything was progressing smoothly, until the scout lost the worm in the darkness of night. It had buried deep into the sand hidden. The officer in charge called off the carry-all, and ordered everone to continue mining. The alarm bells didn't stop going off in Jude's head. He knew that this whole operation was doomed. The worm would come straight up and capture all the spice, and the harvester as well. He grabbed his fremen survival kit, double-checked his still-suit, and went out the emergency hatch. Once outside of the harvester he ran as fast as he could, managing to get enough distance between him and the Harvester. The worm did just what was expected; it came up from directly below. Swallowing the harvester, and all the crew.

Jude picked up the chaos sand step, and headed towards a faint becon of light, some sort of off-worlders encampment.
lu lu lu I've got some apples
lu lu lu You've got some too
lu lu lu Let's make some applesauce
Take off our clothes and lu lu lu
--Butters

<FNORD>
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

If the Fremen were sure Jacurutu were actually populated, they'd go and clean it out. Part of the whole point is that it's a secret sietch. What's the ultimate point of the harvester and its crew being eaten? Is there a story there that's relevant to your character that you should come out and tell? I'd like to move you away from the Jacurutu notion. There would be spice mining operations out of the settlements at the desert's edge. It would make sense to come out of the desert and head there, as it's sort of a liminal space between the city and the desert, which are the two sort of thematic 'spaces' we have to work with. Also, how does he discover his 'feel' for the spice masses, how is that relevant in his background and how does it cause him to relate to others in spice mining?

Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

[quote="Neuro"]If the Fremen were sure Jacurutu were actually populated, they'd go and clean it out. Part of the whole point is that it's a secret sietch. What's the ultimate point of the harvester and its crew being eaten? Is there a story there that's relevant to your character that you should come out and tell? I'd like to move you away from the Jacurutu notion. There would be spice mining operations out of the settlements at the desert's edge. It would make sense to come out of the desert and head there, as it's sort of a liminal space between the city and the desert, which are the two sort of thematic 'spaces' we have to work with. Also, how does he discover his 'feel' for the spice masses, how is that relevant in his background and how does it cause him to relate to others in spice mining?[/quote]

I'll remove all the Jacaruto mentions, and replace it with some outlaying village at the desert's edge. I've also tossed out the whole 'feel' for the spice masses thing, that's why it's not in my intro. I'll make some changes and re-post.

--Butters

<FNORD>
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Actually, if you like the spice sense notion, I'm already ready to run with it.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

mordekai kaspar

before his moral objections to working for a corporate dictatorship, mordekai was heralded as an accomplished mentat analyst and strategist for choam corporation on caladan. he now serves as pilot and navigator on a spice harvester on arrakis. his mentat identity is a secret he holds dear, and as such hides his addiction to sapho juice by discreetly dosing his canteen, as well as injecting himself daily with a biogenetic cosmetic to hide the resultant crimson stains on his lips.

abstract mathematical problems appear as if exploded diagrams, easily legible and manipulatable. he can forecast the e.t.a. of a sandbarge, given wind speeds, distance, and flight conditions, down to the nanosecond. gifted with a curious mind, mordekai excels in earth sciences, specifically geography and meteorology. also reputed to be a superb pilot and cartographer. knows which way is north blindfolded, and can seemingly predict sandstorms with relative accuracy.

sometimes kaspar misses his old life, in a cushy desk job on caladan, but promptly reconsiders these thoughts in the final tally when he weighs the ethical toll of working for a profit-skimming corporate dictatorship. his only living family is uncle alastair on caladan.

some would describe him as "a bit oblivious." others would use the words "emotionally unavailable." whatever the designation, mordekai seldom speaks, keeps to himself, but is given to bouts of tremendous loyalty to his peers-- even when expectations of reciprocity from said peers are mathematically improbable.

personal mantra: truth is the prime mover. i will imbibe the juice of sapho to meditate on the details set before me. to seek the finer details is to discover the higher truth. truth is the prime mover.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

This is good, but it leaves one huge question - namely how did he wind up on Dune, working on a sandcrawler. I see the mention of the moral relativism below, but this is some kind of hell hole compared to Caladan and the work is sort of likely to get you killed before it makes you rich (and you're probably currently working for some kind of profit-skimming corporate dictatorship, one way or another). Did he fall into disgrace with CHOAM? Did he foolishly cast his lot in with the Atreides for moral reasons? What took him from Caladan and put him on Arrakis?

Reasons are /incredibly/ important to these character write ups. Mord's and Chris' both have really great /reasons/ for being where they are. One is stuck here because he was loyal to the Atreides and he /can't/ leave or his daughter /definitely/ dies horribly. The other one is here because he's always been here doing this, and he's got feelings about what's going on (Fuck the Harkkonnen!) because of kindness experienced under the Atreides.

Your basic concept is fine, we need to provide him with reason and motivation, now. Do you have some ideas about that or should we brainstorm?

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="Neuro"]Did he foolishly cast his lot in with the Atreides for moral reasons?[/quote]
after leaving uncle alastair the last of his material possessions, mordekai fled caladan and booked passage to arrakis in the hopes of finding work with the one organization he could respect, house atreides. unfortunately, mordekai's arrival on arrakis was ill-timed, as the demise of house atreides was beginning, literally just as his transport touched down. stranded, nearly broke, and with no planetside contacts, mordekai went into hiding, working inconspicuously as a spice harvester navigator. the news of the fall of house atreides has made him paranoid-- all the more reason to keep his mentat abilities to himself. mordekai's worst fear is that someone somehow discovers his affinity for house atreides, and his original plan to work for them. his motivations for continuing to work on a sandcrawler are few: 1. it is relatively safe from scrutiny, 2. it puts his skills to good use, 3. he can use the money.

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

So why is he hiding himself as a mentat? He could find better work almost anywhere with those skills that wouldn't get him killed and that would make much more money.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i don't know. any suggestions?
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I'm not sure what to tell you. To what end do you want to hide his mentat-ness? What is thematically gained by this? What part of that interests you? What drives a highly skilled individual into the desert, away from his own element? Is he just secretive? Is he looking for adventure? Is he throwing his life away?

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="Neuro"]I'm not sure what to tell you. To what end do you want to hide his mentat-ness? What is thematically gained by this? What part of that interests you? What drives a highly skilled individual into the desert, away from his own element? Is he just secretive? Is he looking for adventure? Is he throwing his life away?[/quote]
[quote="jimmy corrigan"]the news of the fall of house atreides has made him paranoid-- all the more reason to keep his mentat abilities to himself. mordekai's worst fear is that someone somehow discovers his affinity for house atreides, and his original plan to work for them. his motivations for continuing to work on a sandcrawler are few: 1. it is relatively safe from scrutiny, 2. it puts his skills to good use, 3. he can use the money.[/quote]
further:

he is mainly driven by paranoia (point number 1 above). his original intent was to work for an institution that he believes in. before leaving his job at choam he applied for positions working for house atreides on arrakis. when the shift in power made this impossible, he feared his stillborn relationship with house atreides could be traced to him (after all there are written records of his application and such). in his paranoid mind, this might make him a possible target by the harkonnen. stranded with few options, he sought the most inconspicuous, albeit dangerous, line of work he could find before things blew over, politically, and he could plan his next move.

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Yeah, well, you know, sometimes it's paranoia and sometimes they really /are/ out to get you.

Is it possible that you might've been taken enough with the Atreides to feed them a little CHOAM info on the side as you were being hired?

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

cool.

yes, i think that that's something mordekai would do, given his disdain for and unfavorable view of his ex-employer. although not 100% kosher, i'm sure he would logically calculate these actions as morally justifiable.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Actually, I can see a number of scenarios in which it /would/ be /very/ morally justifiable. Like, the part where CHOAM was basically going to be complicit in screwing the Atreides to make sure THE SPICE MUST FLOW, y'know. Stuff like that. If you had /happened/ to come across some information you shouldn't have and if you used your mentat talents to sort out what that might mean and you had tried to warn the Atreides mentat, man to man, you'd be in a pile of shit right about now. A sandcrawler sized one, probably.

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Let me expand on the importance of that thought a little bit. Morality is a huge thematic element of Dune. It's a real good guys versus bad guys kind of thing. The Good Guys are the Atreides, even when they're not being good, because they feel guilty about it. The necessary Bad Things about being a government are treated sardonically and unhappily. They are just warriors and rulers.

The Fremen introduce another kind of morality - they're the absolute social organism. The individuals live for the good of the tribe because that's how people are expected to survive and we see this theme repeated in individual sacrifice, in the moral failure of Paul to make the sacrifice his son ultimately makes for all of humanity.

So you have these fairly absolute notions about heroism and then this notion that the brutal tribe culture of the Fremen is somehow pure and wise and laudable and all of that's contrasted with the corruption of the whole outside world, CHOAM, the weakness of the minor houses and the major houses that abandoned the Atreides, the Imperial House that sides with Evil to destroy the Atreides. Evil is just about personified by the Harkonnens. These are ugly people, cruel people, kiddy-diddlers, slavers, torturers. Every awful thing imaginable, every forbidden lust, every terrible appetite, every selfish thing is attributed to the H.

So, your individual morality /does/ count. Your group dynamic and your group morals will also count.

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Illuman, you're the last person I'm waiting on a concept from.

If your character is going to be gay and Fremen, we're going to have to talk about how that works. There are always homosexual people in any population, but how they view their place in society and how the culture views issues like sex and love and patriarchy and all those sorts of things are something we'll need to discuss in the context of an Arab-like culture with the extreme conditions applied to the Fremen.

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Wait, Illuman's not it. I don't have one from Cth..Ct... Tentacle Boy over there. John? Sup on some posting your character? I thought I had something from you, but I must be on crack.

Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

*WHEW* I Thought I was in trouble there for a second. :biggrin:

I've still got some minor character revisions to do, but my basic concept is going to be the same. My origins and history story will definitely be changed, but not by all that much. I should hopefully have a final version sometime this week.
--Butters

<FNORD>
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

No, but now that I've successfully stalked you, I really need to get my hands on John, because he really /IS/ the last person, now. (I had his concept confused with Mord's for some freakish reason.) Anybody wanna call him and tell him that I'm actually frothing at the mouth because I can't write the rest of the Dune campaign until he does his part?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'm really sorry for lagging behind on this. My concept will be posted tonight.

EDIT, here it is:

Marcus Rawls

Marcus has been a very large person since birth. When army of House Hagal at age 16, he was already 2 meters tall and 105 kg. No one asked about his age. He spent the next 30 years of his life in battle. Leaving and joining various houses, corporations, and causes as conflicts arose. mostly as a pilot and mechanic for heavy war machines. After more than a few near death experiences and the death of too many friends, Marcus decided to stop fighting and settle on Arrakis. Here he was told a man could make his fortune, if he was hard enough. For the last year, Marcus has worked as a pilot or mechanic on several spice harvesters, always signing on for the deepest desert runs with the largest payoffs. He has a reputation as a tough man and a hard worker. This has gotten him the attention of a smuggling outfit. He's spoken to them more than a few times, but is not sure it's what he wants. Though he enjoys a good brawl, smugglers are often warring with one another, and he is hesitant to go to war again, if only a small one.

Marcus is now a noticeably over 2 meters tall, bulky with muscle, and covered in scars. The left side of face is badly scared, with a Tleilaxu eye. He posture is bad from having to stoop for years in war machines and now sand crawlers. While he is very intimidating to look at, he a friendly guy and usually drinking and joking among friends when not at work. He has no existing family, but he has found many people he seved with also here working on Arrakis, and they are like brothers to him.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

doooooooooooooooooooon!

that is all.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Jaunque Buet works for CHOAM. There's speculation that Janque Buet works for the Emperor, that he works for no one but himself, that he spies for the Tleilaxu, that he smuggles illicit products, and that he once killed a man in a knife duel in front of the whole assembled court of Taligari on Zanovar. In short, the legends abound. Janque Buet is a businessman, first and foremost, and owns Buet Industries, which includes a number of subsidiaries, of most interest to all of you would be BMAA or Buet Melange Acquisition - Arakeen, to differentiate it from the wholly separate BMAC, Buet Melange Acqusition - Carthag. Mr. Buet refuses to call it "mining", since he says it's not at all like mining.

This spice hunting contracting company works for the Harkonnen because anyone collecting spice on Dune essentially works for the Harkonnens. Buet, however, seems to have a more favorable and profitable arrangement with the ruling house than most. His hunters are better paid, his equipment is better maintained.

When the Atreides came, during the change of fief, all contracts were dissolved and workers had an opportunity to take what they'd earned and leave. Perhaps sensing the storm to come, perhaps simply tired of life on a world under the Harkonnens, many talented spice hunters and related support personnel left the planet, leaving a dire need for more talent. The brief reign of the Atreides and the war that followed was hard on the industry and when the Harkonnens took back over all contracts were frozen. In many cases, the higher wages negotiated when the Atreides took over were no longer available.

All of you have, for whatever reason, signed a two year contract with BMAA. Tell me why and then tell me how you imagine that you interact with each other as characters? How have you all managed to form your crew of rather outstanding misfits? What are your impressions of your fellow crewmen?

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Anybody? Bueller? The hope here is that you can come up with some ideas about how you all got together and how you work together because you're starting off as a crew who /has/ worked together. Now is your chance to work with each other to sort out any kind of dynamic you can so that the first night of play may be a little easier for you. Illuman has a character, I'm waiting for him to post that background to share, but the rest of you can get started in sorting out what you do and how you came together. I'm not sure if the lack of response is a lack of time, lack of enthusiasm, or lack of direction. If you need more structure in order to respond, let me know.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Dmitri has signed up for another two year term as that is what he has been doing for awhile now. He figures after two years he might be able to afford the trip off Arrakis.

Dmitri likes Marcus and Conner though Conner is a little strange. He is suspicious of Jude as he is very fremen like. He doesn't think much of Mordekai as he keeps to himself.

Also, is Winter playing a member of the crew?
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

lack of time. i'll post some time today from work.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="cczernia"]Dmitri has signed up for another two year term as that is what he has been doing for awhile now. He figures after two years he might be able to afford the trip off Arrakis.

Dmitri likes Marcus and Conner though Conner is a little strange. He is suspicious of Jude as he is very fremen like. He doesn't think much of Mordekai as he keeps to himself.

Also, is Winter playing a member of the crew?[/quote]

Winter and I are both GMing. You haven't seen much of him yet because it's my job to make sure you get there and know who you are and how you interact with your world and one another. Once we get into play, you'll see more Winter.

It's an easy hook for Dmitri, considering that he's done this a while. Did we sort out what job Dmitri does on the crawler? Why is he suspicious of Fremen? Seems like having desert people on a crawler only makes it safer. Or is he just a city guy at heart and those desert people are weird?

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]lack of time. i'll post some time today from work.[/quote]

Totally understandable. I'm a week later than I meant to be even getting the info out about the employer. I knew that it was a really vague sort of open question I posed, so it seemed important to ask if you needed help starting to chew on it. Mostly I'm concerned that each of you has a job on the crawler and that you have a notion of how you all formed up, since some of you are oddballs, if talented oddballs.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Neuro"]
It's an easy hook for Dmitri, considering that he's done this a while. Did we sort out what job Dmitri does on the crawler? Why is he suspicious of Fremen? Seems like having desert people on a crawler only makes it safer. Or is he just a city guy at heart and those desert people are weird?[/quote]

He thinks Fremen are terrorists. He is only now seeing there side of things but still thinks they are dangerous. Dmitri is in charge of communications but I'm sure he does a lot of general mining operations, too.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Oh, that's right!! I've got it now. I love the terrorist bit. It cracks me up every time I think of it. That's awesome. If he's a terrorist, I wonder what that makes you in his eyes!

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

My excuse is the same as Albert's. This whole "3 days a week in Irvine" thing takes a lot of energy!
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

Umm.. I'll have something up soon. FHA loans suck.
--Butters

<FNORD>
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

Kaspar’s capacity on the BMAA harvester is clear. He is the navigator/cartographer and at times, pilot. He trades shifts with Marcus piloting the harvester when Marcus has to make repairs serving as mechanic. Otherwise, he aids Marcus as co-pilot, forecasting sandstorms, navigating course and such. He mostly keeps to himself. His relationship with fellow mates aboard the sandcrawler is, in a word, professional.

Mordekai respects Dmitri, as he seems a hard working, principled man who knows the ropes. They’ve never exchanged anything but work-related dialogue, but he imagines that they’d get along if they were to ever start.

It appears to Mordekai that Conner is pensive and very serious, like he’s carrying an invisible, heavy load with him-- perhaps a secret. Although he gets along with him well enough, it is because of this that he gives the security guard his space.

Mordekai trusts and is fond of Marcus. He has the most contact with him as fellow harvester co-pilot. He likes to hear Marcus’ stories, and is continually impressed by his ability to keep the bucket of bolts together with a few tools.

Jude seems a bit of a puzzle. So far as Mordekai can tell, Jude is a person with an inner sadness. Though he would never indulge his curiosity by asking him outright. Just like his relationship with Dmitri, things are amicable with room for growth.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

One day a week in Irvine sucks. Three days is something else altogether. So long as it's not that the question was just sucktastic I feel better.

Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

Jude doesn’t talk about his past, and will dodge any questions about it. He has mentioned having family “Far Away”. Jude is a man divided. While in the city he spends most of his time in the city at various places getting drunk on spice beer. He is very friendly with some of his natural inhibitions relaxed. He becomes very social, chatty, and relaxed.
He seems a different man when in the desert. Tension and stress fill his days harvesting. It doesn’t seem to affect his work, but getting Jude to crack a smile while in the desert is difficult. He seems to withdraw into his own mind out there, lost in thought.

Judging on his physical appearance it is apparent that he is native to Arrakis. His guant frame stands roughly six feet tall, but he can’t weigh more than about 150 pounds. He keeps his dark black hair cropped short, and has the bright blue on blue eyes of a Fremen (Or spice addict.) You would guess that he is in his late teens, early twenties.

Jude hasn’t made much effort to befriend Dmitri, probably picking up a hostile vibe from the ex-Harkonnen soldier. He would happily share a mug of spice beer with hum, but the opportunity hasn’t shown itself.

Conner Panez intrigues Jude. Jude loves to hear about his off world adventures, and is generally warm to him.

Jude doesn’t understand Mordekai. He has odd mannerisms and he doesn’t seem to think in straight lines. Professionally he respects him for his abilities, but I don’t see the two of them socializing after work much.

Marcus Rawls intrigues Jude as well. As an obviously experienced warrior Jude knows that he could teach him a thing or two. Jude tries to be friendly with him, and I think the two of them get along well. Carousing after work, Sharing a meal together, just friends.
--Butters

<FNORD>
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Marcus remains on Arrakis primarily due to bull-headedness. He's made up his mind that here he will make his fortue and retire, and isn't going to let another squabble among royalty get in his way. He's got a good, capable, crew around him and there's always work. The spice must flow afterall. Now with the Harkonens back in power, he feels even less morally conflicted about the prospect of smuggling.

Conner has earned his respect as a fellow warrior, and Dmitri has told some amazing stories about close calls in the desert that have earned his repect as well. He enjoys swapping stories with them both. Mordekai and Jude seem to have their secrets, but Marcus is content to let them keep them. Both are good people, and even Jude seems friendly enough after a few spice beers.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

THE SPICE MUST FLOW!!!!

I'm sorry, I about fell out of my chair.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

What was the point total for characters again?
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

The point total is 200, but I'm not sure on the disadvantage limit.

I've been watching Man Vs Wild. Bear totally inspires me for my character. I'm really looking forward to next Friday.
--Butters

<FNORD>