next star trek session

The Unbreakable Union
jimmy corrigan

next star trek session

Post by jimmy corrigan »

hope everyone's turkey was awesome!

so, when did folks want to play again, or what (fri)days are open for folks?
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm good for this Friday.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I am feeling very unwell and can't yet commit to Friday. I mean, it sounds like a lovely idea in theory, but the flesh is weak. If people aren't desperate to make plans for Friday, we could have this conversation again along about Wednesday.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

take care neuro don't let this crappy cold weather get to you
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

That goes double for me, especially if I'm the one who gave it to you! Much apologies.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="mordraine"]That goes double for me, especially if I'm the one who gave it to you! Much apologies.[/quote]

First Chris and now Liz...Dude your like a walking talking Typhoid Mary:eek:

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I'm good for this or next Friday.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Skyman"]First Chris and now Liz...Dude your like a walking talking Typhoid Mary:eek:[/quote]

Yeah I know. Unfortunately, I had a cold all through GenCon, and I hung around with everyone. I'm surprised *more* people didn't catch it from me.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i almost did, from chris, so by extension, you... [size=-5]ya filthy disease bag.[/size]
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]i almost did, from chris, so by extension, you... [size=-5]ya filthy disease bag.[/size][/quote]

Almost only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

pardon me. allow me to clarify.

"almost" = a sore throat and mild coughing

[size=-5]... ya filthy disease bag.[/size]
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

This or next friday are fine with me.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I'm just fine with either, but would like to decide sooner rather than later to A) prep for the game or make plans and B) Inform Bryan who would like to make the next game.
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Well then, it's all up to Neuro! Cuz all the rest of us are good with this Friday.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Let's go with this Friday. Bryan can join us this Friday, but I believe next Friday, he'll be traveling. Besides, I feel LOTS better.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Neuro"]Let's go with this Friday. Bryan can join us this Friday, but I believe next Friday, he'll be traveling. Besides, I feel LOTS better.[/quote]

w00t! Both for playing and for the fact that you're feeling better!

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i don't know how, but this thread wasn't highlit as new last night when i checked in.

right, so game on!
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]i don't know how, but this thread wasn't highlit as new last night when i checked in.

right, so game on![/quote]

If you're ever in doubt, click Quick Links and Today's Posts for new posts in the last 24 hours.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Fucking awsome LAVACAKES liz!

Fun game tonight...Thanx for having me sit in. Sorry about the back plot with friend benefits...I had to make it different after Liz had something similar.

wii is pretty fun and great work out if your willing to do the full motion. I liked the tennis the best so far.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

thanks for showing up, d00d! it was a blast. lavacakes and wii boxing rocks the heezy fo' sho'. and i love love love your stew, liz.

looking forward to mage.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Just for general information, the brand of lavacake was King's Table and it was less than 15 minutes of work from beginning to end. Be careful with the damn hot rammekins, you do have to turn them out and eat them while they're hot.

The stew recipe is as follows:

Brown 1.5 lbs of beef or lamb stew meat that you've coated in all-purpose flour over medium heat with one chopped onion and five or six cloves of minced garlic. You'll need to do this in as little oil as you feel you can reasonably get away with, which may vary by pan. You don't want to burn the flour, but you do want it to threaten to stick to the bottom of the pan and you want the whole thing to get really quite dry. Excess oil will make for an oily stew and you need to create thoroughly browned flour to make the stew thicken without tasting like raw flour. So work with your spatula to keep scraping the bottom of the pot and when you're finally on the verge of losing that battle to certain burning doom, pour in a third of a cup of balsamic vinegar and two Tablespoons of brown sugar and go back to furiously loosening the goop which will now try to burn to the bottom of the pot with renewed fervor. Once more, when defeat seems imminent, pour a couple of pints of water over the whole thing, scrape the bottom of the pot again and stir a bit.

Add scraped, sliced carrots and parsnips now, but leave room for potatoes. I give no guidance as to how many carrots or parsnips to add, as the proportion of carrot, parsnip, and potato are completely based on preference for eating the vegetables. I usually go a little light on the parsnips because they're a bit foreign to people, but I'm fond of giant chunks of the things that outnumber the carrots. What consenting adults do in their own kitchens with carrots is up to them, I suppose, but parsnips... now there's a real vegetable.

I use a handful of fresh oregano and a handful of fresh parsley, but dried will do as well. About a tsp. of oregano and about 2.5 tsp of parsley should do the trick.

Add 3/4 cup of strong coffee (if you use instant, it will do as well. If I know I'm going to make stew later, I save the morning's coffee), 5 Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, salt and pepper /vigorously/. If it doesn't get enough salt, the sweet and sour elements just don't come through.

When your root vegetables have started to go soft, throw in some cubed potatoes and top the pot up to near-full with water. It will boil down over the next couple of hours and leave room for the corn, which is optional, but nice.

Let it come to a vigorous boil, stirring to keep stuff from sticking to the bottom, and then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer /UNCOVERED/ for as much time as you have. If you start this in the morning, you may need to add more water, periodically, but it's not a bad idea. You want it to have liquid, but you want the liquid to be thick and nice by the time it has to be served. Always leave 3 hours. More is good, but 3 is the minimum from start to finish. When everything's cooked into a cohesive stew, taste and correct seasoning to your preference. If there's not enough bite, hit it again with the vinegar and Worcestershire. About half an hour before serving, add fresh cut or frozen corn (I don't really recommend canned) and let it all come back to one last boil and then serve with some kind of bread. Irish soda or cornbread are the traditions of our house.