The "Rules" Thread

The World's Largest Dungeon, as run by Blanchprez.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Well, it looks like we have our forum. I figured I woudl start us off by posting the "Rules" thread. As I go through the book, I find that there are something I want to impliment per suggestions in the book, and other things I want to warn you guys of in advanced, so I will post them here.

First, Druids will not be available as a class. There really isn't anything for them to do, it's one big dungeon crawl.

Wizards, while available, will have a tough time of it. There's no place to go and get new spells. Their are scrolls in the game that the wizard can copy to his spell book, but that prevents the PC from picking the spells he wants. An option is for the PC to pick all the spells he wants for all his spell levels right away, and say he starts with a full spell book, allowing him to learn the higher level spells as he goes. I'll leave that option to the PC.

Skills: Some skills, like Disguise, Forgery, Gather Information, Perform, Profession, Ride and SLeight of Hand will get very little usage, and so it's recomended that you don't waste skill points on them. On Profession, however, remember that you can get synergy bonuses for things like Craft Armor with Profession Blacksmith, so you might want to keep that in mind.

Spells: So far, the only band spells are summining spells (like Summon Monster). This is due to the magical nature of the dungeon.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

How about the "Spellcheck" feat? :lol:

Just kiddin. hehehe. Anyways, are there any restrictions on Races? I'm pretty sure I'll be doing the Barbarian thing, but I want to do something different on the race. Can I be a Drow Barbarian? :lol:
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Anyways, are there any restrictions on Races? I'm pretty sure I'll be doing the Barbarian thing, but I want to do something different on the race. Can I be a Drow Barbarian? :lol:[/quote]

The only restriction on race for now is that it has to be ECL +0. So, sorry, no Drow.

Chris

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I was half-kidding anyways.

Hey..."half"... Half-Drow?? :naughty:
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Half-Drow are fine. (That's a half-elf with dark skin, no new rules for that).

OH, BTW, I forgot to mention... EXP in this game is a little different than normal. I am going to give out EXP by Encounter Level rather than by individual monster CR. It means a little slower progression, but ensures that the dungeon remains a challenge throughout.

Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, time for some of the warnings.

WARNING 1: This is nothing but a big dungeon crawl. I know, you kow that, but seriously. While there is a story line behind the whole thing, that will culminate in the end of the adventure, don't forget that it's still a big dungeon crawl. It's also nothing but a dungeon crawl. No towns or places to buy new weapons, sell stuff, or store treasure. Skills like Craft Weaponsmith will come in VERY handy for this game.

You have been warned. ;)

Chris
Jake
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Jake »

Would a wizard be able to loot spell books off of other wizards?

As far as it being a big dungeon crawl I’ve read that there are more then ample opportunities to role-play. I just wanted to make sure there’s distinction between dungeon crawl and hack-n-slash. And aren’t there supposed to be a few underground civilizations or cities or something?
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Jake"]Would a wizard be able to loot spell books off of other wizards? [/quote]

Yes, same as scrolls, you can copy spells. It just limits the spells you can pick from.

[quote="Jake"]As far as it being a big dungeon crawl I’ve read that there are more then ample opportunities to role-play. I just wanted to make sure there’s distinction between dungeon crawl and hack-n-slash. And aren’t there supposed to be a few underground civilizations or cities or something?[/quote]

Yes there are. I didn't mean to imply total hack-n-slash (though there is plenty of that from what I can tell), there is plenty of room for RPing. I just wanted to re-iterate that this is designed to be a dungeon crawl. Think Caces of Chaos from Keep on the Borderlands (only larger) without the town nearby.

Chris

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Dude...you are seriously screwy today... :screwy:
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Dude...you are seriously screwy today... :screwy:[/quote]

And that's different how?

Chris

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

It's not. :D
Jake

Post by Jake »

Are we going to be using the 3.5 rules for small and medium weapons for different races? I’m only asking because in a lot of the non WotC material they don’t make that distinction. Also I find it annoying.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

You know, I really don't like those rules... A small long sword is called a short sword in my book. Now, small polearms and such are a different story. I think we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Chris
Jake

Post by Jake »

How about subraces from the Forgotten Realms setting?
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Jake"]How about subraces from the Forgotten Realms setting?[/quote]

Good question. I think for the most part, as long as it's a ECL +0, it shoudl be fine.

Chris

Foxbat
Cunning Rogue

Post by Foxbat »

Chris,

After our conversation about tumble vs. mobility, I decided to carefully read the rules on each. From my analysis, unless you can spend many skill points on tumble, mobility is a better choice. The DC for tumble starts at 15, add 10 for full movement speed, plus 2 for each opponent, minumum plus 2 for a less than smooth floor surface. That adds up to a whole lot very fast. Mobility is a +4 no matter what. Combined with combat expertise, your AC will be very high.

Daniel
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.