Hyphen Con '08: Date and Games

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
cczernia

Hyphen Con '08: Date and Games

Post by cczernia »

Official Date of Hyphen Con will be June 28 so mark it on your calenders. I'll leave it to Mord to let us know what time to show up.

These are the games that will be run:

TMNT - The Battle of Lost Vegas, Cthulhu
The Shab-al-Hiri Roach, Sadohara
Star Wars: Paranoia, Devlin1
Tribe 8, BlanchPrez
Og - Jimmy Corrigan
CoC/nWOD - Home Makeover, Cthulhu
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Based on past years, I'd say that we should get together around 11am.

First game start: 12pm
Second game start: 5pm

Games should be done by 9pm. After-party arrangements to be announced later.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Awesome! Guess I'll get reading to brush up on the Tribe 8 rules.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"]Based on past years, I'd say that we should get together around 11am.[/quote]

Sounds good. I take we are also doing a pot luck so everyone should post what they want to bring.

I plan on bringing beer (a case to a case and a half) and game munchies like chips, nuts and stuff like that. Maybe some giant Vons cookies.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I can bring my dip again, like I did last time.

Chris
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I did not expect to actually have to run something. That's two slots of three games each, right? And not three slots of two?
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Yes, two slots of three games each.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I'm looking forward to this.

YAY!!!
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Well, I'd like to bring pie. I really like coconut cream pie. I think three or four pies should cover us.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Schedule of Events

Post by devlin1 »

Here's the Schedule of Events for Saturday:

Noon:
TMNT: The Battle of Lost Vegas (Cthulhu)
Star Wars: The Emperor Is Your Friend (Devlin1)
Tribe 8 (BlanchPrez)

5:00:
CoC/nWOD: Home Makeover (Cthulhu)
The Shab-al-Hiri Roach (Sadohara)
Og: Smelly. Hairy. Bang! (Jimmy Corrigan)

9:00
An untold number of D&D 4E one-shots, and a good face-Blanching.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

just wanted to give my heartfelt thanks to everyone who made hyphen con super awesome this year! firstly, wintermute and neuro, thank you for hosting this web site, making events like these and this tight-knit community even possible. to all the gm's, you guys rock. thanks for the thought, time and energy that went into the veritable smorgasboard of games this year. on behalf of my full and contented stomach, thanks to all who contributed food and drink and made the potluck such a success. to all folks near, and especially to all who drove in from as far away as orange, riverside, and imperial county, thanks for making it out. and lastly, but not leastly, to our gracious and generous host, mordraine, thank you for the sweet venue. you cannot ever quit. or move offices. ever.

it was super fun. these events, along with the games and friendships forged from this board in general, continually remind me of how fortunate i am to be so near to such a cool little community. it was just perfect and i can't wait for hyphen con '09.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

That was great!!!

Once again I had a blast. Thanx to our gracious host KORE and Andy Blanchard. Thanx to Neuro and Wintermute for this website...basically if your name is Andy I thank you
Wonderful to meet new faces for fun and play.

My Highlights:
So Tribes 8 was a hoot and I have new respect for footlong Subway sandwiches.
Ping Pong was great Chris. We must hit the courts again
Sven's Bezerking battle cry!
Damn that food was good
Stephens GErman professor washing fit
Roll a 1 on my sitting in a chair skill
Sadohara does the best "I'm a noob to this game" and proceeds to kick everyones ass
I am cursed at Munchkin
Uber wins at Roach without balls by making out with the French Math Professor. Also I rolled 1's on all my dice
I miss out on Don't Rest Your Head because I'm an idiot
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Last night was totally awesome!

Thanks to everyone that brought food. It was ALL fantastic!

Thanks to everyone that played in my Tribe 8 game. The adventure wasn't as fun as you all made it the way it was written down. :)

Thanks to everyone that played Munchkin! I had a blast, even though I didn't win. And Sadohara, who “never played” before sharked us all.

Thanks to jimmy corrigan for the Og game, that was a total blast. I’ll have the picture I drew inked and scanned later today.

Special thanks to PK for the D&D 4E game. Loads of fun actually playing the game for a change.

And, of course, a big, huge thanks to my bro, for providing the place to play. It was an awesome venue.

See you all next year!

Chris
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]just wanted to give my heartfelt thanks to everyone who made hyphen con super awesome this year! firstly, wintermute and neuro, thank you for hosting this web site, making events like these and this tight-knit community even possible. to all the gm's, you guys rock. thanks for the thought, time and energy that went into the veritable smorgasboard of games this year. on behalf of my full and contented stomach, thanks to all who contributed food and drink and made the potluck such a success. to all folks near, and especially to all who drove in from as far away as orange, riverside, and imperial county, thanks for making it out. and lastly, but not leastly, to our gracious and generous host, mordraine, thank you for the sweet venue. you cannot ever quit. or move offices. ever.

it was super fun. these events, along with the games and friendships forged from this board in general, continually remind me of how fortunate i am to be so near to such a cool little community. it was just perfect and i can't wait for hyphen con '09.[/quote]

This!

And a special thanks to everyone who played in my game. You made me completely forget about having wanted to weasel out of running it. I'll sort through those notes and post 'em when I get a chance. Always good for a laugh.

Mike Olson
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Agreed! It's awesome to see San Diego's RPG community come together like that, and I had a wonderful time! Thank you to everyone who contributed to making this happen, I can't wait to do it again next year!
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Yeah, good times. Only downside is not being able to split in 3 and play every game... Thanks to all for a great time.
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

Excellently good times everyone. Special thanks to Cthulu and Sadohara for running TMNT and El Roach and for Mordraine for supplying a ginormous location.

Sadohara, our love affair continues. Soon we will fall into each other's arms as our destiny requires.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

:lolup:
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

Late to the boards, late to the thread.

I echo all of the thanks to Mord for the facility, all providers of food and drink, all GMs for the orchestration of fun, all the players for being the orchestra, and everyone for making me feel welcome at my first Meet-up. We only do them once a year, eh?

Hyphen-Con - More fun than GenCon. Really.

Sadohara
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Sadohara"]Hyphen-Con - More fun than GenCon. Really.[/quote]
That's going on all our advertising.

That reminds me, though: It was really great to meet some new people there. I know San Diego's chock-full o'gamers, and it's always good to expand our little circle. Here's to those new faces becoming more familiar.

Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Yeah, good times. Only downside is not being able to split in 3 and play every game...[/quote]well said. pretty much how i felt when i saw the final line up.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="devlin1"]That reminds me, though: It was really great to meet some new people there. I know San Diego's chock-full o'gamers, and it's always good to expand our little circle. Here's to those new faces becoming more familiar.[/quote]seriously. ditto that, my brutha. it was excellent meeting and playing with all the new folk.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I had a blast. Great meeting new people and playing some great games. Loved Tribe 8 and Roach and ping-pong. I'm looking forward to next year.

Hopefully, we left the place cleaner then when we found it and didn't break any mirrors.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Thanks to all for attending! I had a great time. And thanks to all for being respectful of the premises. That goes a long way towards us being able to use it again next year!

I want to give a big thank you to Kore Technologies for allowing us to use the space in the first place! Anyone have any ideas on what to do? An email to the managing partners doesn't seem like enough to me. Hrm.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Sounds like a great idea
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Thanks to all for attending! I had a great time. And thanks to all for being respectful of the premises. That goes a long way towards us being able to use it again next year!

I want to give a big thank you to Kore Technologies for allowing us to use the space in the first place! Anyone have any ideas on what to do? An email to the managing partners doesn't seem like enough to me. Hrm.[/quote]

I just assumed we wouldn't do anything at all for fear of attracting attention.

Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

How about sending flowers or something?
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Skyman"]How about sending flowers or something?[/quote]

If we do this, I have a 40% employee discount at [url]http://www.proflowers.com[/url].

Also, at [url]http://www.cherrymoonfarms.com[/url] or at [url]http://www.secretspoonsweets.com[/url].

And, I believe that I might be able to get at least a 20% employee discount at [url]http://www.redenvelope.com[/url] if we want to do something a little different.

Chris

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i'm down to kick in a little something for our hosts at kore.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

How many of y'all are there, Mord?
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Yeah That would be cool Chris. I wouldn't mind popping for something like that.

I think the Thank You Cookie Bouquet is down our alley
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

There are 16 of us here at the office.

Food would be a good idea. Better than flowers. We are a sausage factory here.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"]There are 16 of us here at the office.

Food would be a good idea. Better than flowers. We are a sausage factory here.[/quote]

You guys could throw yourselves a pizza party or something and we could pick up the bill.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I think the best option from Chris's selection is the CherryMoon gift basket
$45

Your gift includes:

3 oz. Original Beef Summer Sausage
3 oz. Garlic Beef Summer Sausage
3 oz. Honey Sesame Sticks
1.5 oz. Herbed Almond Slivers
1.4 oz. Sweet-n-Hot Mustard
1.4 oz. Cajun Mustard
4.4 oz. Classic Water Crackers
5 oz. Zesty Cheddar Cheese
2 oz. Spanish Green Olives with Pimento
4 oz. Cashew Brittle
Item #10443
This sensational collection of classic favorites will satisfy even the heartiest of appetites. The beef sausage and cheddar cheese are the perfect accompaniment to the water crackers and with both sweet and spicy mustard, there is a flavor for everyone to enjoy. Completing this gift are savory sesame sticks, herb almond slivers and sweet cashew brittle. A sensational feast of flavors perfect for your special someone!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Well, each of us could kick in a few bucks, and then you could all go fuck yourselves.

I'm sorry -- I totally don't mean that, obviously, but I couldn't resist.

How about the Muffin of the Month club? Every month, they send your office one muffin of some kind. Sometimes they forget, but most of the time, yeah, it's pretty much a muffin a month.
Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="cczernia"]You guys could throw yourselves a pizza party or something and we could pick up the bill.[/quote]

Maybe we could send them a bucket of Hooter wings

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I like the cookie baskets on the Secret Spoon Secrets site.

However, most of the delivery dates on those sites is rather far in the future. Methinks I'll pick up some gourmet cookies nearby and deliver 'em on Thursday (next time I'm in the office). They all should like that. If'n you want to contribute, just give me a buck next time you see me. It's really no biggie though. Cookies won't break my bank at all! :)
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="devlin1"]Well, each of us could kick in a few bucks, and then you could all go fuck yourselves.

I'm sorry -- I totally don't mean that, obviously, but I couldn't resist.

How about the Muffin of the Month club? Every month, they send your office one muffin of some kind. Sometimes they forget, but most of the time, yeah, it's pretty much a muffin a month.[/quote]
i'm dying over here.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="mordraine"]I like the cookie baskets on the Secret Spoon Secrets site.

However, most of the delivery dates on those sites is rather far in the future. Methinks I'll pick up some gourmet cookies nearby and deliver 'em on Thursday (next time I'm in the office). They all should like that. If'n you want to contribute, just give me a buck next time you see me. It's really no biggie though. Cookies won't break my bank at all! :)[/quote]

I'm in for $15

mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Yeah count me in too, it was great of your work to host. Hey Mord can I paypal you ten bucks? I doubt I'll see you before comic con.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'm in too. Just let me know where to take my money.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Really, guys, no need for the money. I just wanted the ideas.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Really, guys, no need for the money. I just wanted the ideas.[/quote]
IS IT TOO LATE TO GIVE YOU MONEY FOR THIS?

Mike Olson