Scottish Rite visit

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I will be going to see what the 1700 sq ft room at Scottish Rite looks like today after work. I will bring my digicam so I can take pics for postage. So look here for details. Most likely, if'n the room looks big enough, and the answers to the questions I have are good, I'll be paying the down-payment tonight.

This thing is REAL people! w00t!

PS - Neuro, did you still want to accompany?
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

We may end up being too busy cleaning up at our old place. Still, probably wouldn't hurt to give us a call before you go, 858-578-7010.
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

What time are you going?
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

They close at 5pm. So I wanna try to get there around 4:30.

I got other pertinent info too:

Hours we can have the room: 7am ~ 10pm
Prices include chairs and tables.
They have an exclusive food provider. They're a catering company but they can arrange to do food vending too. I'm gonna get info on that when I go down.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="mordraine"]They have an exclusive food provider. They're a catering company but they can arrange to do food vending too. I'm gonna get info on that when I go down.[/quote]

Billiekai was telling me that they have vending machine's too.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Okay, so I went to Scottish Rite Center on Friday and had me a look around. But I didn't put a deposit down. This is for two reasons.

1. They draw up contracts and send 'em out and the deposit isn't due until you get the contrac, sign it, and send it in.

2. They require a $1,000,000 "special events" insurance bond. They gave me a few names to call, but told me the cost would be somewhere around $450.

Mainly it was reason #2. :)

So I don't know if we want to continue to pursue a room at Scottish Rite, or whether we want to try and find a place that will not require insurance (or whether this is a reality we'll just have to accept).

Oh, they don't require the insurance until 21 days prior to the event, so we'd have time to scrape up the dough.

PS - I took pics, but I have to DL them and email 'em to Winter so he can host 'em. Will do that sometime soon.

PPS - I know I promised the minutes for the last meeting, but apologies, haven't gotten to 'em yet. Thanks to opwunder for sending me his notes. :)
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="mordraine"]Okay, so I went to Scottish Rite Center on Friday and had me a look around. But I didn't put a deposit down. This is for two reasons.

1. They draw up contracts and send 'em out and the deposit isn't due until you get the contrac, sign it, and send it in.

2. They require a $1,000,000 "special events" insurance bond. They gave me a few names to call, but told me the cost would be somewhere around $450.

Mainly it was reason #2. :)

So I don't know if we want to continue to pursue a room at Scottish Rite, or whether we want to try and find a place that will not require insurance (or whether this is a reality we'll just have to accept).

Oh, they don't require the insurance until 21 days prior to the event, so we'd have time to scrape up the dough.

PS - I took pics, but I have to DL them and email 'em to Winter so he can host 'em. Will do that sometime soon.

PPS - I know I promised the minutes for the last meeting, but apologies, haven't gotten to 'em yet. Thanks to opwunder for sending me his notes. :)[/quote]

Maybe we should talk to one of the game shops or a recreation center for a location. I am sure recenter would have the space and it would be much cheaper. Game Empire or Game Towne would most likely be willing to have a small con in their game space too.

Jonathan

jasonhead

Post by jasonhead »

If it's as easy as just coming up with $450 then I think we should still consider the Rites center but I have a feeling this could be a red-tape mess...the insurance company may require all kinds of info and paperwork that could drag on for weeks or even months.

jason

p.s. how about the airport? We could block off one of the runways and have plenty of space!
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I remember there were another few possible locations... have we called them and inquired as to their insurance requirements?
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Hokay! I, of course, tossed all of my notes about the Recital Hall in Balboa Park but shall endevor to retrack my path and find out if they require insurance as well. Now that it has been said, it seems logical that any and all venues are going to probably request insurance as well...something else to add to the budget. :cry:
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I will call my local recreation center. Check what the costs are... I am sure they won't need insurance. :P

Jonathan
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I contacted a variety of Rec centers (PB Rec Center, La Jolla Rec Center), and they said most of their fees are pretty much the same no matter which rec center you go to.

A meeting room that can hold about 40 people at the PB recreation center is $21.75/hour durning operation hours and $40-50 per hour durning non-operation hours. Also keep in mind that if we take in money we have to give about 25% back to the center/rec council.

Recreation Centers are only open in the San Diego for about four hours a day on Saturdays and are closed Sundays thanks to the lack of funding they are getting right now so most likely most of our time will be non-operational hours.

Jonathan
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

Pricey. Does this take it back to working with Game Stores?
jasonhead

Post by jasonhead »

I'm waiting for a call back about insurance requirements at the holiday inn.

jason
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

I found my notes on the recital hall at balboa park (yes, they were in the trash in the computer room...not cleared often enough, luckily) and wiil contact them and see about their insurance requirements.

When is the next meeting? It can be at my place if you like... :)