Thank you!

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Thank you!

Post by Wintermute »

Hi guys,
Just wanted to say I had a blast, it was good to meet some new people, as well as see some old friends again. I hope you all had a good time, and the food was just awesome! Looking forward to the '07 Fiesta Island meet!
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

dude, thank you and neuro! tha grill was off da hook! as was the crib, as always. and the grub. props to all the potluckers! it was real nice meeting all you new folk! hope you like this little community. it's pretty special says i. also, props to all the gm's who sunk time and energy running. skyman, dav, you my boys. and skyman, the t's fit great! yay!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Yeah, thanks to you and Neuro for hosting!! That's an awesome Grilltron you've got.

I had a great time and it was fun meeting the new folks!
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
To Peace
One-Armed Skeleton

Amazing Time

Post by To Peace »

That was a total blast! Thanks to hosts and all GM's who made it possible.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
"To Keep The Peace, Prepare For War"

http://www.rpghost.com/topeace
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Andy and Liz that was awsome. I'm so full. Devlin I wish we could have completed the game because it was hella fun romp. Just remember no matter where you go, there ya are. John thanx for the great rootbeer. The dip was the best Chris. Loved the fresh pumpkin bread Sam. The chicken was great....I could keep on going. Great to meet all the new folks and play with some
Good bye Tom. I would like to thank the players in my game for making it a wonderful experience and for being willing to deal with my learning curve in running it
Thank you again for hosting this wonderful shindig Winter and Neuro.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Yes, many, many thanks to Winter and Neuro, as always, for being such excellent hosts. Major thanks to Chris for running a fun game o' Rippers and giving us/me a chance to check it out a little. Huge thanks to the awesome players in my game, all of whom surprised me at every turn and made the plot as surprising for me as it was for you. I know it was weird, and I'm sorry it went so long/started so late/I talked so much about game mechanics, but it was a good time, and I appreciate you giving a new system a try.

And herculean thanks to the new people who came out today -- or "new" to me, anyway. Good to see some fresh faces. Hope to see more of you in the future.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I had a good time even thought I left early. I was just beat. Thanks for hosting.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I had a blast. PK, thanks for the DarkSun romp - been quite a while since I played in that sandbox. Serenity was quite fun also - very in-genre for the show.

Special props to Andy and Liz for their (always) awesome hosting enthusiasm.
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

Big echo on the thanks to everybody especially the hosts and to cz and mordraine for the DMing. Thanks to everybody for making a noob feel welcome to the fold. It was like I sat down on a big cozy couch and sank right in.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Thanks to all for a fun time! Good games, good food, and good people. And thanks for the well-wishes. I will miss these things, but you have inspired me to posibly try getting one together in Wisconsin. :biggrin:
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Uber_snotling"]It was like I sat down on a big cozy couch and sank right in.[/quote]

You *did* do that, during my Wild Talents game!

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

T-Shirt update

NOTE: For those that got a T-shirt. Please use an Iron on the logo. Use aluminum foil between the logo and iron for 10 -15 seconds. It'll help keep the logo from fading. I forgot to do it. Hope you guys/gals like it. Just a reminder I do this for fun and because I can do it. I do NOT expect money or sexual favors(yeah I'm looking at you Peace) for doing this...just let me know you would like one

I'll try to get some done for Fiesta Island '07 hook up

Sven.... Feng Shui ROXXORS!
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Thank you all for making yesterday really a lovely time.

To whomever sat on the chair upstairs with the towel over it, next time, please feel free to move the towel, it's supposed to prevent your butt from getting cat-haired :) I'm sorry about that.

If you left the shiny pencil and you miss it, please pm me and we'll arrange for its return.

To anyone who had a t-shirt yesterday but can't find it today, I notice at least an extra floating around the house somewhere. Pm me and we'll get the tshirt back to you.

Mord, I'm aware of your game and am holding it for you.

BlanchPrez, please check your pm to see about getting back the baking dish.

To whichever of you brought that lovely, wonderful pumpkin bread, did you get your loaf pans back?

Thanks again, Skyman, for awesome shirts and spam and everything else. Also, what did you marinade that beef in?
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I gotta say, yesterday was more fun than some conventions I've been to!

Thanks to Winter and Nuero for hosting.

Thanks to Skyman for not only the tee's, but also all the awesome food he made!

Thanks to Chris for the fantastic game of Rippers.

Thanks to everyone that played in my game! It was a blast, especially watching you guys play hands of poker around the ship's dinner table. :)

I can't wait until next years event. :D

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Neuro"]Mord, I'm aware of your game and am holding it for you.[/quote]

Cool! Thanks.

[quote="Neuro"]To whichever of you brought that lovely, wonderful pumpkin bread, did you get your loaf pans back?[/quote]

I believe dnd3eplayer (Sam) made the pumpkin bread.

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="Neuro"]
To whichever of you brought that lovely, wonderful pumpkin bread, did you get your loaf pans back?

Thanks again, Skyman, for awesome shirts and spam and everything else. Also, what did you marinade that beef in?[/quote]

No worries, I did grab my pans on the way out. Agreed on the marinade too - that was quite tasty.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Seasoning soy sauce + grated fresh ginger + splash of honey = crazy delicious
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I had a blast. My only regret was that I had to leave early and didn't get to play a second game. It was great meeting all the new faces.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="cczernia"]I had a blast. My only regret was that I had to leave early and didn't get to play a second game. It was great meeting all the new faces.[/quote]

Yeah that was too bad

The second games were a BLAST...we'll at least Buckaroo Banzai SoTC was. I admit I did turn into pumpkin before 12 because the Awesome BPrez Bean dip had been converted, by that point, into a noxious vapor and I was a groggy like 10 year girl past her bed time.

MikeB
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by MikeB »

Well not to sound redundant, but I had an awesome time at the meetup. Thanks Simon for the Lift. Thanks Winter an Neuro for being such excellent hosts. I now have Wii envy.
fgarber
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by fgarber »

It was great experience! thanks again to our great and gracious hosts!
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

It was a wonderful experience I won't soon forget. I especially enjoyed putting faces to the names that I see here everyday.

Ahh. So that's who Devlin looks like. Okay. Thanks again for the T-shirt, Smartmonkey, I so owe you. I'll be sure to iron it.

Also thank you Neuro, for the compliment on the goggles. And thank both you and Wintermute for hosting again. I hope that we didn't leave too much of a mess behind.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Neuro"]To whomever sat on the chair upstairs with the towel over it, next time, please feel free to move the towel, it's supposed to prevent your butt from getting cat-haired :) I'm sorry about that. [/quote]

I think that is me... I didn't even notice. That would explain why my cat was giving me the stink eye later.

No worries on cat hair though, it is just like home.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="mrlost"]

Ahh. So that's who Devlin looks like. Okay. Thanks again for the T-shirt, Smartmonkey, I so owe you. I'll be sure to iron it.

.[/quote]

Your welcome. Good Times

Devlin is like Kevin Spacey only better looking with more hair and with a better delivery of sarcasm

Meh?!

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]Devlin is like Kevin Spacey only better looking with more hair and with a better delivery of sarcasm[/quote]
Buh... I... what'd I ever do to you?

Mrlost, I played in your AFMBE game last year. We've met before. Oh yes, we have. I even think I was wearing a nametag then, too.

But that's as may be. It was great having you, Simon, Albert, fgarber, and fgarber's lady friend in the game. I couldn't have asked for a better group.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Hey dude he thinks I'm SmartMonkey. Don't feel bad

Yeah that was a fun group and I was looking forward to senior citizen rampage again...as the little girl (talk about type cast). It was fun watching MrLost and Albert fight over the steering wheel. Fgarber and wife are you in any groups right now? Because it would be a waste if you weren't
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="devlin1"]It was great having you, Simon, Albert, fgarber, and fgarber's lady friend in the game. I couldn't have asked for a better group.[/quote]as aforementioned, i had [i]loads[/i] of fun in both yours and skyman's games. it was just eerie how many coincidences there were. both happened to be set in the southwest u.s. (albuquerque, nm and gila bend, az respectively), encompassed conspiracies, and were rife with bad/good 80's movies tropes and cliches! you can't make that shit up. down right spooky. kudos, you gamemasters par excellence.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]as aforementioned, i had [i]loads[/i] of fun in both yours and skyman's games. it was just eerie that both happened to be set in the southwest u.s. (albuquerque and gila bend, respectively), encompassed conspiracies, and were rife with bad/good 80's movies tropes and cliches! you can't make that shit up. down right spooky. kudos, you gamemasters par excellance.[/quote]
It was hilarious watching you try to figure out what the hell the rest of us were talking about anytime a movie reference came up.

Mike Olson
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

It's more fun if you can keep him asking "What's that from?" when it's not ;)
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

For those that want to know where I got the uncooked dumplings, it was from Zion Market. They have a whole aisle dedicated to premade pot stickers. They also have some great Bulgoggi.
http://www.zionmarket.com/
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="Skyman"]For those that want to know where I got the CRACK, it was from Zion Market. They have a whole aisle dedicated to premade CRACK. They also have some great Bulgoggi.

[url]http://www.zionmarket.com/[/url][/quote]

Edited for accuracy.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I would like to apologize for those who played in my lame Wild Talents game, BTW. Ugh. I'll do better next year.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]I would like to apologize for those who played in my lame Wild Talents game, BTW. Ugh. I'll do better next year.[/quote]
Oh, there's no need to apologize for anything, you big silly. I didn't play in your game, but I don't see anyone complaining about what a shitty time they had. Relax.

Although I [i]would[/i] like Chris to apologize for getting ranged combat wrong in that Rippers game. That [i]ruined[/i] my day.

Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Neuro"]Edited for accuracy.[/quote]

thanx

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i, also, did not play in your wild talents game, mord, and know for fact it was fun. why even gotetsu said so on the car ride home. remember? he was in your car? with me and you? and he wouldn't lie. silly.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Mord it's like impossible for you to do lame. Your being illogical
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="mordraine"]I would like to apologize for those who played in my lame Wild Talents game, BTW. Ugh. I'll do better next year.[/quote]

LMAO, that game was awesome. Sorry we ripped so hard on the Astral Projection, but c'mon... it was funny.

"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Oh holy crap that was fun. I don't know what you have against it, Mord. I hope you don't imagine that our complete ridicule of Carlos there was anything but, well, sort of like the ice cream and sprinkles on the cake. I enjoyed learning the system, because it was cool and weird. I enjoyed the idea and the execution. It's not like you have time to perform anna karenina in rpg form in the space of four hours. Especially with the peanut gallery in finest form. It was a good run. I'd totally play it again.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]
Although I [i]would[/i] like Chris to apologize for getting ranged combat wrong in that Rippers game. That [i]ruined[/i] my day.[/quote]

Actually, I only got it wrong for you, so I don't feel so bad.

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm glad everyone had fun in the Wild Talents game. From my own personal standpoint I felt that I was unprepared for the system. It's the first time ever for me to run it so I felt a bit overwhelmed during play. I also felt that the scenario should've been more robust. Just from my personal point of view, I know I've done better. But it's good to hear that you guys had a good time.

And yeah, the Astral Projection jokes were funny.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="mordraine"] From my own personal standpoint I felt that I was unprepared for the system. It's the first time ever for me to run it so I felt a bit overwhelmed during play. I also felt that the scenario should've been more robust. Just from my personal point of view, I know I've done better. But it's good to hear that you guys had a good time.

.[/quote]

Yeah I'm with you there. I had total anxiety with running a new system for the first time at the meet up. I wasn't ready for what I got out of it to say the least. I'm not sure how well I did either...but the players really swept me off my feet.

Mord you do know that your mediocrity is other peoples perfection. I wasn't in you game but I know you set a high bar for mere mortal GM's, like myself, to follow

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Skyman"]Yeah I'm with you there. I had total anxiety with running a new system for the first time at the meet up. I wasn't ready for what I got out of it to say the least. I'm not sure how well I did either...but the players really swept me off my feet.
[/quote]

I, too, was running a new system, and had that fear that something would come up that would require me to look it up in the book, like, say, combat.

Fortunatily, I had some creative players that knew the setting well, and the basics of the system used in Serenity was simple enough that I was able to wing it a lot.

Plus, they managed to avoid getting shot at in the one big fight scene in the game.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

The ORE system of Wild Talents is actually pretty easy, but it's radically different in that everything happens in one roll. That was hard to get used to, and it felt chaotic in the big battle scenes. And I was juggling powers for my NPCs and ruling on powers for the PCs and figuring out the system all at the same time.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I thought the WT system was fine. Took a few tries to get it down, but once we all knew how it worked, it seemed to flow pretty good. As far as the scenario, I liked it. Simple enough for a one-shot, but enough action to go around. Like I said, it was a fun time.

That's the great thing about days like that, and trying out new systems. It's a learning experience for everyone, INCLUDING the GM. So, don't beat yourselves up, guys. From what everyone says, no one was disappointed. :smile:
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.