Pick a Meet Date

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.

Which date works for you?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:18 pm

April 28
36%
April 28
64%

Total votes: 14

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Pick a Meet Date

Post by Neuro »

April 21 and April 28 are my suggestions for dates. Let us know which works for you.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Time to get this on a roll
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

How the heck did Count Zero vote twice???!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Note: It might be better to have a poll asking what day you can't make it as I will be in Paris on the 21st.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Chris, can you choose the 28th?
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Neuro"]Chris, can you choose the 28th?[/quote]

Oh, I did. I'm just remembering [url=http://rpg-sandiego.org/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-1345.html]this thread.[/url] Funny, because the first thing I do is suggest that we have another poll for the days people can't make it :P

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="cczernia"]Oh, I did. [/quote]

Then, I don't understand what the problem is. All we would get is the exact opposite information. I could understand if there were more than two dates.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Just humor me. If this poll fails to be sufficient in choosing a day, it will have provided a starting point. We can rely on people to post to say 'neither day is okay'. But this is an okay place to start.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Count Zero"]Then, I don't understand what the problem is. All we would get is the exact opposite information. I could understand if there were more than two dates.[/quote]

Lets say that the votes were leaning the other direction, everyone voting for the 21st. I end voting for the 28th but loose. That means I can't play because everyone voted for the 28th. It is even worse if it is preference.

Basically, one asks what day do you want to play and the other asks what day can you play. I'm more interested in the days people can play.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Neuro"]Just humor me. If this poll fails to be sufficient in choosing a day, it will have provided a starting point. We can rely on people to post to say 'neither day is okay'. But this is an okay place to start.[/quote]

This is fine. If the day chosen is available to everyone then their is no problem.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I picked the 21st, because there's an MS Walk on the 28th that I'm doing with my wife's company.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="cczernia"]Note: It might be better to have a poll asking what day you can't make it as I will be in Paris on the 21st.[/quote]

To be honest, I don't how this would really provide any different information. You would just get the numbers reversed. If you had three dates, it might make a difference, but two.. it doesn't really matter.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Count Zero"]To be honest, I don't how this would really provide any different information. You would just get the numbers reversed. If you had three dates, it might make a difference, but two.. it doesn't really matter.[/quote]

Ok, lets say we have 10 people.

7 people want it on day A

3 people want it on day B

7 people can make it on day A

9 people can make it day B

Which day do you put it on?

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="cczernia"]Ok, lets say we have 10 people.

7 people want it on day A

3 people want it on day B

7 people can make it on day A

9 people can make it day B

Which day do you put it on?[/quote]

A person would choose the day they can make it. I could make it both days, so I selected the day I liked better because it gave me more time to plan. Since you can't make Day A, you pick Day B. The day with the most votes is the day that you do it on.

But to answer the quesiton, Day B. When people want it doesn't matter, it matters when you get can get the most people. If you aren't going to come on that day because you don't like the day itself, then why vote for it? That person can't make that day. It doesn't matter which day you like better, it matters when you can come.

What you are suggesting as a survey is like asking if you like Ketchup on your hamburger on a survey about Mexican food. It doesn't provide useful or relevant information.

The only other option you might add to this survey is, "Neither day works for me". If that ends up being the top voter, then you select the another day and take the next top option. So if the A got 3, B got 6, and none of the above got 10. The next survey would have B and C (i.e. the day that replaced A).

If you were getting beyond two days, I could see your arguement, but when it is an either/or choice, then options you are discussing are unecessary for a survey. A person chooses the one that works best. Why they are picking that day doesn't matter and if they aren't coming at all or can't make either day, why would they even vote?

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Count Zero"]
If you were getting beyond two days, I could see your arguement, but when it is an either/or choice, then options you are discussing are unecessary for a survey. A person chooses the one that works best. Why they are picking that day doesn't matter and if they aren't coming at all or can't make either day, why would they even vote?[/quote]

Good point. You'll just get better information if you ask it the other way.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Well... doesn't the poll ask "What day works for you?" That seems more like "When can you make it?" than "When do you want it?"

Sigh. Whatever. I can make it either day, AFAIK, so I'm not voting.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="devlin1"]Well... doesn't the poll ask "What day [i]works [/i]for you?" That seems more like "When can you make it?" than "When do you want it?"

Sigh. Whatever. I can make it either day, AFAIK, so I'm not voting.[/quote]

So can I, but I voted for the later date because I can plan and organize more.

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="devlin1"]Well... doesn't the poll ask "What day [i]works [/i]for you?" That seems more like "When can you make it?" than "When do you want it?"

It would probably be helpful for the survey if you picked a day. I didn't really care either way either, but I picked the 28th because it gave me an extra week to get my shit together.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]

This poll also helps give an idea of how many people are going to make it. So, it helps if you vote.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

How come there are only two dates? Maybe we can have a date or two in May too?
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

I voted for the day, Cczernia can make it. Because France is cool and totally not what I was expecting when I went.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

We can review other dates if these are problematic, however these are the dates we're able to host in April. Right now I'm not hearing that the dates are problematic and I probably will not have availability in May, so it makes rather a lot of sense to start here. If this doesn't work, we can consider a change of venue.

If you would like to attend, click on one of the days. After a few days, barring lots of posts saying 'I can't make it either day', we will see if this is sufficient data. If it is not sufficient data, we will repoll. This gives us the fastest, most direct count of whether or not these days work for the majority of people and how many people we might be talking about.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I voted for the 21st, but that either date will work for me.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Drew
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Drew »

Date doesn't matter to me, but I plan to attend.
Drew
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Drew »

Turns out I have plans on April 28th. Going on a beach clean-up with Goth Help Us. For anyone asking what that is: GHU is fairly new volunteer organization run by goths and full of goths. Lot of fun and lot of work.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

The poll has been up for two weeks.

We have 5 votes for the 21st
We have 6 votes for the 28th (CZ is counted twice)

Two people have stated they can't come the 28th and only one can't come on the 21st.

So, what do we want to do on the schedule?
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

21st I guess
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i haven't voted. i can make both days and don't want to skew the numbers, which would screw someone in the end.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I also haven't voted. Blanchprez can't make one date, and cczernia can't make the other, so I screw one or the other if I vote. My conscience can't take it! I'm breaking under the pressure! Please, make it stop!

Er, what I mean to say is, I can make both dates, so put me down for both.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Me too.
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I should have blinded the results so that you couldn't know.

All dates will not work for everyone. We do, however, need enough of a headcount to know if we can do it one of these weekends or if we need to scrap the whole idea until June or find a new host.

So if there are any more of you out there who don't want to just pick a weekend, please go ahead and post that you can make the days so that I can at least count the number of people who would /like/ to attend. For polling purposes, I will assign you to the date with the most people when the poll has closed. In this fashion, we will have a starting point if we don't have a strong enough result to effectively stop polling. Alternately, please just go ahead and pick the date that works best for you and we can make adjustments as necessary. The head count and the feasibility of one of these two weekends is the primary goal of this poll.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

don't be such little kitties!

Version 1-Light & Fluffy
I can make both and that's even considering I'm doing a 5k walk on the 21st in the morning. I think those guys are great(I've played in games with both) and I just got to rpg with Drew this week. We gotta pick a date and given that all things are equal with no favoritisms the 21st seems to be the best IMHO.

Version 2-Gritty & Mean
I can make both. I just met Drew so I can't have a negative opinion of him yet. As for the Chris's, well, their both pretentious rpg whores and can blow all 300 Spartans for all i care. Let's get this thing going dammit! Pick the 21st because I said so and my negative commentary is enough convince you that it's the lesser of the two evils...just like voting for Bush instead of Kerry. Somebody's got to be the bad guy...might as well be me. If I'm going to screw someone over...It's might as well be someone named Chris.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Count me for either date since I could make both, though in the long run I prefer the 28th for some reason.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="devlin1 a week ago"]Sigh. Whatever. I can make it either day, AFAIK, so I'm not voting.[/quote].
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I went ahead and voted for the 28th. Liz has gone through a bit of trouble and planning to pick out these dates, so the least we could do is actually settle on one.

Thanks Liz and Andy for offering to host this year.

@Blanchprez - think you can manage to get there after your charity walk? You mentioned that the other day when we talked about it.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Drew"]Turns out I have plans on April 28th. Going on a beach clean-up with Goth Help Us. For anyone asking what that is: GHU is fairly new volunteer organization run by goths and full of goths. Lot of fun and lot of work.[/quote]

I've done the beach clean up and it's a hoot what you'll find....

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="mordraine"]
@Blanchprez - think you can manage to get there after your charity walk? You mentioned that the other day when we talked about it.[/quote]

Yeah, I can probably do that. I might be an hour or two late, but as long as my game is slated for round 2 (assuming I'm running one), it shouldn't be a problem.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I'll be there, regardless of which date is picked. I leave it in Neuro's capable hands which date I'm put down for, any or both. In any case, add me to the head count please.

Also, does not the vbulletin options screen list thusly when creating polls?:
Miscellaneous Options
[]Allow multiple choice: Give users the ability to select more than one answer
[]Make votes public: Displays all users who voted, and what choice they voted for.
[]Automatically parse links in text
[]Disable smilies in text

Might help resolve the 'should I choose one or both' question.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i voted the 28th.