Game Meet III - Pimp your Game

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
cczernia

Game Meet III - Pimp your Game

Post by cczernia »

Some of you have already started but here is where you can pimp your game. Remember to list what game you want to run but also the general scenario or concept.

Current Games

Serenity - Blanch Prez
Dark Sun - Mr Lost
Tribe 8 (Enemy of My Enemy) - Count Zero
Feng Shui (Monster with a Heart of Hate) - cczernia
SW Rippers (The Devil in All of Us) - cczernia
SotC: (Across the Eighth Dimension) - Devlin1
Feng Shui (The Killers at Gila Bend) - Skyman
Wild Talents - Mordraine
Deadlands Reloaded - Mordraine
Heavy Gear (Operation Jungle Drums) - To Peace
L5R (In the Shadow of the Crab) - To Peace
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Even though I don't own the book, I've got a crazy notion to do a Spirit of the Century one-shot for this thing. As for what the premise/setting would be, I'm not sure, but it wouldn't be straight pulp. IIRC, quite some time ago I was on about a game wherein the PCs are part of an interdimensional security and recovery agency. SotC would be good for handling the wide variety of possible player characters that would/should be a part of something like that.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Oh -- can we make requests? Like "I'd love to try X, so if someone runs that I'm in"?
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]Oh -- can we make requests? Like "I'd love to try X, so if someone runs that I'm in"?[/quote]

Absolutely not.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

for the love of me, won't someone please run dark sun and transhuman space?
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Didn't I just say you can't do that?
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

what?
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]for the love of me, won't someone please run dark sun and transhuman space?[/quote]
Well I did just buy the Dark Sun boxed set at Games Empire...

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

well?
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="mrlost"]Well I did just buy the Dark Sun boxed set at Games Empire...[/quote]

That's funny, I just sold my Dark Sun boxed set to Games Empire. :P

I would like to try and run two games at this thing, but there's one for sure that I want to do.

Low Life. This would be a tale of high adventure, where your band of brave adventurers had discovered a map that would lead you across the Teats of Boorglazar, where you would face rampaging, cannibalistic tribes of horcs and werms, and eventually to the ruined outpost of Yewnork, there to find it's lost treasure!

The other game I'm not so sure about... I was thinking of Serenity, where your team would be hired by a rich Core worlder, to find his wayward son, who seems to be involved in illegal hover car racing out on the rim. But, not all is as it seems on this job.

A couple of other games I would like to run one shots of:

- Flatland, where your characters are literally 2-dimensional

- Torg, where multiple dimensions invade Earth.

- Diana, Warrior Princess: Imagine our present day view through eyes 2000 years in the future. Then imagine a TV show made about that time, with the same care and attention to detail we expect from shows like Xena, and you get the idea.

- BESM's Cute and Fuzzy Cockfighting Seizure Monsters, where I would do a post-apocalypses epic called Apocalyptic Monster Hunter Zero.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]The other game I'm not so sure about... I was thinking of Serenity, where your team would be hired by a rich Core worlder, to find his wayward son, who seems to be involved in illegal hover car racing out on the rim. [/quote]
Sweet. I'd love to try Serenity.

[quote="BlanchPrez"]But, not all is as it seems on this job.[/quote]
What?! That wasn't part of the deal!

[quote="BlanchPrez"]- Flatland, where your characters are literally 2-dimensional[/quote]
I have a friend up here that'd absolutely love to play that....

Mike Olson
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Senior Citizen Slaughter II: Decline of the Dead

The Horror continues as the survivors of Shady Oaks retirement center flee into a night of the living dead. Can they survive the night? Can they remember what stalks them? Can they stay up late? These questions and more will be answered.

An All Flesh Must be Eaten scenario for upto six players.

"Think while you still can..."

Coming soon to a meetup near you
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

My Games:

Monster with a Heart of Hate (Feng Shui)
- In ancient China a devil has escaped to the future. It is the job of two Honor Guards to go forth, kill it and bring back its heart which holds the power to change history. To do this the Guardsmen must seek the help of heros from the present. Hong Kong Action in Ancient China in Hong Kong circa 1996.

The Devil in All of Us (Savage Worlds: Rippers)
- Events haven't been going well for the Rippers agency, a group that hunts down monsters during late 19th century. Someone has been leaking plans to the enemy and an entire Rippers cell has gone missing. Action adventure in Victorian England.

The Prisoners (World of Darkness) - You know something important, something someone else wants to know and that someone else has locked you up in The Village closely with 5 other someones. They're reliable but who can you really trust. Paranoia and Suspense set in the world of The Prisoner.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]My Games:

[b]Monster with a Heart of Hate (Feng Shui)[/b] - In ancient China a devil has escaped to the future. It is the job of two honor guards to go forth, kill it and bring back the its heart which holds the power to change history. To do this the Guardsmen must seek the help of heros from the present. Hong Kong Action in Ancient China and Hong Kong circa 1996.[/quote]

Awesome!

[b][quote]The Devil in All of Us (Savage Worlds: Rippers)[/b] - Events haven't been going well for the Rippers agency, a group the hunts down monsters during late 19th century. Someone has been leaking plan to the enemy and an entire Rippers cell has gone missing. Action adventure in Victorian England.[/quote]
Also awesome!

[b][quote]The Prisoners (World of Darkness)[/b] - You know something important, something someone else wants to know and that someone else has locked you up in The Village closely with 5 other someones. They reliable but who can you really trust. Paranoia and Suspense set in the world of The Prisoner.[/quote]
I respect this, but the other two are leagues cooler to me.

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Within 24 hours of playing SotC yesterday, I came up with three games that I'd love to run for this thing, although right now I only have the vaguest notions of what the plot would be for each. As much as SotC is made for pulp, I found out this weekend that it's also made for plenty of other games (especially Star Wars...). Anyway:

Spirit of the Century: Across the Eighth Dimension
"Calling all Blue Blazer Irregulars...." Buckaroo Banzai and the Hong Kong Kavaliers are in trouble, and it's up to you, the local chapter of the Blue Blazer Irregulars, to pull their bacon out of the fire. But can a fanclub, however enthusiastic, succeed where their idols have failed?

Spirit of the Century: When a Plan Comes Together
One hyphenated word: A-Team. This has a pretty hard limit of four players. I just think it'd be awesome to play characters who have aspects like "I Love It When a Plan Comes Together" or "I Ain't Flyin', Hannibal!"

Spirit of the Cimmerian
Pulp-style sword & sorcery in REH's Hyboria. There's not much to say about this one, but I think you'd have to experience the system to know how awesome it'd be for Conan.

EDIT: Oops. Thought of another on the way home.

Spirit of the Future
"Good news, everyone!" Interplanetary package delivery in the year 3000!
Mike Olson
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

The Conan one sounds fun interesting. I really want to try Spirit of the Century though.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, I gotta vote for Buckaroo Bonzai.

And as much as I am a fan of the Prisoner, I would have to say that Rippers sounds cooler. Plus, I really dig the Savage Worlds system.

Chris
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Spirit of the Future gets my vote. :cool:
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Dark Sun: the Eye of Imix

Post by mrlost »

On a world ravaged by sorcery and the hellish rays of a crimson sun, seven travelers will venture far in search of a legend. Across the desolate barren and rocky wastes of the Tablelands, the bone dry shores of the Silt Sea, and through the salt covered Great Ivory Plains on an expedition in search of the fabled Eye of Imix.

The Eye is a flame red diamond the size of a man's heart that is said to hold the key to savage elemental powers lost since the days of old. According to rumor the jewel lies in a ruined castle on the shore of an inland sea long since faded to dust under the relentless gaze of the Dark Sun.

A Castles and Crusades adventure in the Age of Kings for up to six brave souls. Pregens provided.

Do you have the courage to withstand the fury of Dark Sun?

EDIT: I also vote for Buckaroo Banzi!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Mike you have me with Buckaroo Banzai

Chris...The Feng Shui has got me drooling but since I played in your Vampire game awhile back I can see your Prisoner game out shinning anything possible

Mr Lost...Senior citizen II. I can see this game being at every annual meet up

Blanche....Serenity totally beats out the stinky poo fight of Low Life. Albeit Low Life roxxors!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Ok here is my Feng Shui idea...I think it should be different enough from Chris's idea.

The Killers at Gila Bend

Gila Bend is a dry barren wasteland in the middle of a desert, we call Arizona. You might stop there to take a pee and a dump but you’ll never really stay. In fact, only thing that will stay is the crap you leave behind. The town is on a strip of high way leading out of Phoenix to no where...
Truckers and weary tourists take a break at the Javelina Pit Stop to fill up on gas and maybe get a one pound bag of jerky for $12.99 for the long road ahead. This isn’t the place where you think the fate of the world will be decided by a handful of people living on the fringe of society. But it is!
There’s a motorcycle gang, hitmen and a boat load of Japanese tourist with cameras. Oh the shit is going to hit the fan tonight…and tonight the Gila Bend is the fan.
Ready for martial arts fun in the vein of Big Trouble in Little China and the replacement killers?!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Did anyone else want to submit games. I was thinking about starting the voting this weekend.

Oh, and those who created polls for your games, are you only submitting the one with the most votes?
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="cczernia"]
Oh, and those who created polls for your games, are you only submitting the one with the most votes?[/quote]

Yeah, although I plan to have the second runner-up prepared as a back-up game.

Chris

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="cczernia"]Did anyone else want to submit games. I was thinking about starting the voting this weekend.

Oh, and those who created polls for your games, are you only submitting the one with the most votes?[/quote]

Might want to hold up on the poll till we get a date for the meet up...

Just a thought

mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

[quote="cczernia"]Did anyone else want to submit games. I was thinking about starting the voting this weekend.

That was the plan.

So it looks like Dark Sun is my submission since the interest for zombies is lukewarm.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Yeah, although I plan to have the second runner-up prepared as a back-up game.

Chris[/quote]

Chris have both games you want submitted....He's going to have another poll with everyones proposed games. The top voted games get headlined at the meet up...Just be prepared to do it if the voting favors yours or if some one drops out.

We've had some games be so popular that they needed to be run twice. Like Mords Adventure and Cthulhu's THS.

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Tribe 8 will be the one I am running.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Looks like SotC: Across the Eighth Dimension has the most "votes," so that'd probably be my primary submission. I'm shocked -- shocked! -- that SotC: When a Plan Comes Together didn't get any attention... I thought that'd be a surefire winner.
Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

The Killers at Gila Bend (Feng Shui)

:biggrin:
jerry

Post by jerry »

[quote="devlin1"]Looks like SotC: Across the Eighth Dimension has the most "votes," so that'd probably be my primary submission. I'm shocked -- shocked! -- that SotC: When a Plan Comes Together didn't get any attention... I thought that'd be a surefire winner.[/quote]

I would've voted for it, but I'm not sure I'll be able to be there. (I suspect that "When a Plan Comes Together" would appeal to a very specific age group.)

Jerry

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Hrm... seems like a lot of games this year to vote on. I'm uncertain as to whether I should even submit any ideas. But okay, I will anyway...

My first idea is a dystopian near-future setting (ala Blade Runner) supers game using Wild Talents, where you are "heroes" working for the (oppressive but well-paying) government, hunting down renegade supers.

My second idea is using Deadlands Reloaded. The PCs will come in to a small town beset by mysteries left and right, and it's up to the them to put things a-right.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Mord your Blade Runner one sounds cool but deadlands has intrigued me for awhile and it would be cool to get in on it.

I don't think this is much more than last year
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Skyman"]Chris have both games you want submitted....He's going to have another poll with everyones proposed games. The top voted games get headlined at the meet up...Just be prepared to do it if the voting favors yours or if some one drops out.

We've had some games be so popular that they needed to be run twice. Like Mords Adventure and Cthulhu's THS.[/quote]

Naaa.. AMHZ didn't get enough votes to warrant putting it on the big vote list. I'll just have it as a back-up, just in case. :)

Chris

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Hrm... seems like a lot of games this year to vote on. I'm uncertain as to whether I should even submit any ideas. But okay, I will anyway...

My first idea is a dystopian near-future setting (ala Blade Runner) supers game using [b]Wild Talents[/b], where you are "heroes" working for the (oppressive but well-paying) government, hunting down renegade supers.

My second idea is using [b]Deadlands Reloaded[/b]. The PCs will come in to a small town beset by mysteries left and right, and it's up to the them to put things a-right.[/quote]

These are both "4 teh win!!1!" but I think I like the Wild Talents game better. I'm curious to try out this ORE thing.

Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="devlin1"]These are both "4 teh win!!1!" but I think I like the Wild Talents game better. I'm curious to try out this ORE thing.[/quote]

Really he's right Mord you should put those up for vote

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Well then consider both of my games up for vote in the big list.
To Peace
One-Armed Skeleton

professional GM comes out of retirement

Post by To Peace »

Oscar Simmons is offering his services for the upcoming San Diego meet up with one of two games: Operation Jungle Drums for Heavy Gear or In the Shadow of the Crab for the Legend of the 5 Rings.

Operation jungle drums features an elite team of gear pilots as they investigate mysterious strikes against material cargo shipments within their own borders.

In the shadow of the crab follows an eclectic group of samurai as they are gathered together to conduct a non partisan investigation of a seemingly cursed land within the Crab territory.

Both of these games were originally created to introduce new players to their respective systems and have received numerous accolades. Would you care to be a part of either of these great games? (more details available on request.)

With over sixteen years of GM experience, Oscar started his professional GM career with Dream Pod 9 in 1996. He founded the Pod Corps in Austin, Texas; San Diego, California; and Tokyo, Japan. In 1999 he was recruited by AEG President and founder, John Zinser, to promote the Legend of the Five Rings role playing game. With an ever expanding family and responsibilities, his free time has lapsed, but he continues to be a fan of both companies.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
"To Keep The Peace, Prepare For War"

http://www.rpghost.com/topeace
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="To Peace"]Oscar Simmons is offering his services for the upcoming San Diego meet up with one of two games: Operation Jungle Drums for Heavy Gear or In the Shadow of the Crab for the Legend of the 5 Rings.

Operation jungle drums features an elite team of gear pilots as they investigate mysterious strikes against material cargo shipments within their own borders.

In the shadow of the crab follows an eclectic group of samurai as they are gathered together to conducting non partisan investigation of a seemingly cursed land within the Crab territory.

Both of these games were originally created to introduce new players to their respective systems and have received numerous accolades. Would you care to be a part of either of these great games? (more details available on request.)

With over sixteen years of GM experience, Oscar started his professional GM career with Dream Pod 9 in 1996. He founded the Pod Corps in Austin, Texas; San Diego, California; and Tokyo, Japan. In 1999 he was recruited by AEG President and founder, John Zinser, to promote the Legend of the Five Rings role playing game. With an ever expanding family and responsibilities, his free time has lapsed, but he continues to be a fan of both companies.[/quote]

Do you have any references?

Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

To Peace I moved your post and Devlins to here. I think it'll get the appropriate on this thread
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Ok, here is what I have so far. Let me know if this is correct or if anyone wants to add anything.

Serenity - Blanch Prez
Dark Sun - Mr Lost
Wild Talents - Mordraine
L5R (In the Shadow of the Crab) - To Peace
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

11 games Not bad...Do we have a date when all of this going down. I would hate to vote for someones game and find out they cannot make it later
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

We don't have a date yet, nope. You bring up a valid point. We usually vote on dates too. So, since this even will most likely happen at the wintermute/neuro residence, I propose they start the date suggestions, and we go from there.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

We will set two dates as possibilities, soon. I have become very ill and this may affect the scheduling.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]Ok, here is what I have so far. Let me know if this is correct or if anyone wants to add anything.

Serenity - Blanch Prez

Dark Sun - Mr Lost

Wild Talents - Mordraine

L5R (In the Shadow of the Crab) - To Peace[/quote]

This is a frickin' awesome lineup.

The name of my game may change, but whatever.

And get well right quick, Neuro -- not because of this thing, necessarily, but just so you're, y'know, not sick.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I hope everyone remembers that out of that big list o' games, there'll probably be only around 4-6 actually run.

PS - get well, Neuro!!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]I hope everyone remembers that out of that big list o' games, there'll probably be only around 4-6 actually run.[/quote]
Yeah, but any four to six out of those 11 would be great. I get so tired of people running RPGA events at our One-Shot Days. I'm like, "I don't give a shit! Living [i]what[/i]? What the [i]fuck [/i]are you talking about?"

Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I hope you get better Neuro! Being sick sucks poo poo

I remember Mord, 4-6 games. We have 11 games from 8 great GM's...I agree with Mike, This has awesome written all over it
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="devlin1"]Yeah, but any four to six out of those 11 would be great. I get so tired of people running RPGA events at our One-Shot Days. [/quote]

WHAAA?!?! When did this happen?

To Peace
One-Armed Skeleton

Thanks

Post by To Peace »

[quote="Skyman"]To Peace I moved your post and Devlins to here. I think it'll get the appropriate on this thread[/quote]

Appreciate the help.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
"To Keep The Peace, Prepare For War"

http://www.rpghost.com/topeace
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I have a general question... the crew I have in mind for the Serenity one-shot I'm working on is 5 people... is that good, or should I make it 6?

Chris