A con for the ages!

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Okay folks... here's the forum wherein we talk about the CON we want to hold... Questions that need to be answered:

1. Where are we gonna hold it? Possible sites - Al Bahr Center, Scottish Rite Center, various hotels in Mission Valley...

2. When are we gonna hold it? This is largely dependent on where we are gonna hold it and what dates are available. But hopefully we'll be able to swing something for the summer time.

3. Who's gonna come? We need to figure out some sort of publicity for it. Just talking about it on this here forum ain't gonna attract enough folks most likely.

4. What's gonna happen there? Games, games and more games!! But we need a schedule and we need GMs.

5. How much are we gonna charge? Again, that's mostly contingent on where we have it and how much it'll cost to secure the premises.

Anything else anyone else wants to say, let's pile on the suggestions and/or volunteers!!
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

The largest barrier I see at this juncture is expense for space. A space will have to be reserved and paid for beforehand, which means we either pass the hat now or someone floats the expense.

I'll give you a hint: 1, 2, 3 not it.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Neuro"]The largest barrier I see at this juncture is expense for space. A space will have to be reserved and paid for beforehand, which means we either pass the hat now or someone floats the expense.

I'll give you a hint: 1, 2, 3 not it.[/quote]

I'll be willing to put up some of the money. Depends on how much it's gonna cost... Do you think they'll want all the money up front?

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Typically, yes.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

We don't have to set our sights too high either... We maybe could rent out a Moose lodge or a Church hall or something.

I don't think we should consider ourselves out for the count before we even start researching.
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Meh, I have no money. I think I've said that enough.

But I can provide free Con security!
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I wasn't suggesting calling it quits, I was just suggesting that a solution be proposed to the first hurdle.

~NM

BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

What about gaming stores? Would they provide space?
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]What about gaming stores? Would they provide space?[/quote]

Well, Game Towne does a few mini cons every year with there big one being Game Fest. I don't think Game Empire (or Do or Dice, Game Warehouse) have anything. If we can get them involved and represented you might get a little finiancial support and increase publicity.

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

One thing we need to do before we get to far is form a committie and vote on who is going to be in charge of what.

I nominate Mord to be the chairman.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I second that nomination
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]What about gaming stores? Would they provide space?[/quote]

I'm completely not against that. er... huh? I mean, yeah, I like that idea.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"][quote:9c61791c24="BreakfastOfChampions"]What about gaming stores? Would they provide space?[/quote]

I'm completely not against that. er... huh? I mean, yeah, I like that idea.[/quote:9c61791c24]

Well, if we hold it at Game Empire there should be little to no problem since they fill up there gaming area every Wednesday night for Warhammer (and I mean they pull out extra table it gets so crowded).

If you can bring in that kind of crowd I'm sure we could reserve the entire area once a month.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Yeah, if we charge a nominal fee, and give them a large protion of it (maybe all of it, since I'm not sure what else we would do with the money), that would offset any business loss they might experience. Of course, with all of the gamers that would be there, they probably wouldn't lose much buisiness either. So, in the end, it would probably be more profitable to them. :D
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BreakfastOfChampions

*If* you charge, you could use the money for prizes.

It would be cool if we could get both gaming stores involved. Maybe more. There's a few others. The trick is making it in their interests -- giving them exposure and new customers.

The hard part is they are all so far apart.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Yeah, if we charge a nominal fee, and give them a large protion of it (maybe all of it, since I'm not sure what else we would do with the money), that would offset any business loss they might experience. Of course, with all of the gamers that would be there, they probably wouldn't lose much buisiness either. So, in the end, it would probably be more profitable to them. :D[/quote]

Well, I wouldn't suggest closing the entire store to everyone but the con attendees. Of course they would leave there doors open. We would just have access to all the gaming tables, running one shots, demos ex ex. It would be just like Game Fest, or the Warhammer Wed night at Game Empire.

Charging would be a good thing. Or at least putting a price tag on the event so people think they are getting something of value.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BreakfastOfChampions

True, and there are other costs:

Checks have to be written for

Supplies,
Advertising,
Etc...

Yours truly,

Etc.
plaidrhino
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by plaidrhino »

As an FYI...I have a family member back in MA that does print work and I am sure we could use her for fliers, cards, and the like at minimal cost.
Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything...... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Perhaps I am mistaken, but wasn't the idea to come up with a SAN DIEGO convention not a GAME TOWN convention. Is not what is being proposed the same as what they are already doing? If the point is to go where no gamer has gone before, should it not be done with that in mind?

Let me add, I am in in any way that I can help. My background is in theatre, mostly the performance aspects but for four years I was the promotions manager for a 4 stage theatre complex and Arts festival. If you need a house to hold committee meetings in (should a committe be formed), I am more then willing to offer up my home. Like I said, any way that I can assist.
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner