rpg-sandiego CON?!?

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Just read something on RPGnet that's got me all inspired and stuff... Read this first, then tell me what y'all think...

[quote]I want to encourage everyone this summer to do something fun and selfish -- start a game convention. That's right. It may seem to you starting a game convention would be a non-selfish thing to do. For one, it is hard work to bring gamers from your area together for round-the-clock gaming and imagination feasts. You most likely will end up being swamped in paper work, hassles, and fees. You won't have time to enjoy the gaming.

But wait -- this isn't exactly true -- here's how to make your hometown one day con exciting and rewarding:

1) Think small. Twenty players is the perfect size for a one day convention. Four GMs and four players per group means four rounds going at once (I love math). Furthermore, location is pretty easy. Someone might have a large enough house, or you can usually rent out a room at the local university, church, library, or public space. Heck, talk to your local game store. You will find that there are plenty of small, free places to host your event, and some of them even have extra perks (free coffee, clean bathrooms).

2) Concentrate On The Gaming. This should be a game convention -- not something else. Gaming is the main event. Beyond it, you might show a movie at some point, give away a few prizes, stage a silent auction for charity, and have a special guest. -- but only if you have the support. A one day game con is a perfect break for gamers in your groups that are tired of the same old, same old. It gets them the opportunity to try something new and get out of their routine. Next thing you know, you will have a rabid Feng Shui fan on your hands (thanks Ryan Samuelson!). Also, by focusing on gaming, you, as the con coordinator, don't have to worry about all the crazy coordinating and can get down to the good stuff - gaming.

3) Easy Publicity? Make a flyer and a simple website. Post your con's date on convention listings on the internet and in internet forums. Make flyers and post them to your local game and entertainment stores. Send out emails to popular listservs. Go through player databases and email folks in your area with information about the event. But biggest of all, make sure your own group is there, and make sure they invite their former gaming buddies. Make sure you get a few new gamers there too. It'll be fun for the whole family!

Anyway, I'm encouraging you to be selfish and plan a simple event where the focus is gaming. Do you have any other suggestions? Is anyone else going to plan a one day con for the summer or fall? [/quote]

This would be soooo cool, IMO. We could get together plenty of people just on these forums alone. Logisitically we'd have to figure out where to stage it, the costs, the entry fee, other events besides gaming (if any). But it seems like something we could DO!!

Thoughts?

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I'd be up for this. An all-day gaming event? How cool is that? Maybe play in a game I wouldn't normally get the opportunity to play in.
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

I'd be willing to help. I think it could be kind of neat, and a good experience. I'd be happy to help with tracking down locations, running games and just general helping out.
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Sounds good to me.
Conversely, Slayer never did any concerts with Christian rockers, Stryper.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Sounds Great. I'd like to help out.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I'm game.
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I'd be down.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

hey, Neuro, this might be the perfect opportunity to introduce the Sudden Lands. Since it seems to have stalled right now. :)

Just an idea...
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

TSL is meant to be a long running campaign. I'd like to start it with dedicated players. Unfortunately, relocation may be in the cards for me very soon, so I haven't given it much thought lately. I would cheerfully run something else.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Maybe we should start a new forum for this idea. That way we can keep all of the efforts organized. Location, Sign-ups, game-lists, etc...

Just an idea.

(I'm full of it...er...them today.)
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

It's a good idea. Let me get through tomorrow and Saturday, and I'll begin organisational efforts, including a new forum, if there is sufficient interest shown in this thread.

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Part of my degree is special event planning, marketing, and management.

I could to the coordination part of it.

Jonathan
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Sounds like fun. Count me in.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
plaidrhino
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by plaidrhino »

I'm in
Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything...... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I was also thinking we could ask the local gaming stores if they wanted to participate in some way. Set up a booth or whatnot...
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Almost better to invite them to participate and feel free to distribute promotional materials. Depending on the location and what we have to do to cover costs. It'd be too small for them profit-wise for it to be worth bringing a booth and set up sales.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Yep, you may be right there.

Some of my ideas for venues - Al Bahr Center, Scottish Rites Center, hotel convention rooms (Hotel Circle comes to mind). All depends on cost obviously. I have no idea how much rates are for this kinda thing. And I'm betting we'd at least have to put a deposit down.

The other thing is availability... We'll probably have to get arrangements pretty damn soon if we really wanna pull this thing off.
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="mordraine"]Yep, you may be right there.

Some of my ideas for venues - Al Bahr Center, Scottish Rites Center, hotel convention rooms (Hotel Circle comes to mind). All depends on cost obviously. I have no idea how much rates are for this kinda thing. And I'm betting we'd at least have to put a deposit down.

The other thing is availability... We'll probably have to get arrangements pretty damn soon if we really wanna pull this thing off.[/quote]

Indeed. Perhaps we can start doing some research to find out rates. Finding out when we can get a venue and at what cost will tell us if and when we can do the event.

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Hotel conference rooms are expensive. I'm always very willing to support the Scottish Rite. Like I say, after this weekend, I can start looking into it. We'll figure out who does what as things progress. CZ, I think your experience will be invaluable.

smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

I have a truck. I pick things up and move them. I'd be happy to provide logistics. And security:

Nacho 1: Check out my kewl white wolf pin collection!
Nacho 2: Oooh, mine!
Nacho 1: No, mine!
Smartmonkey: Gurrr... SMASH!
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I'm in.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Neuro"]Hotel conference rooms are expensive. I'm always very willing to support the Scottish Rite. Like I say, after this weekend, I can start looking into it. We'll figure out who does what as things progress. CZ, I think your experience will be invaluable.[/quote]

No problem. I can start doing research. So Hotel Conference rooms and Scottish right center? I will do a little info gathering. I do know that most of the facilities will charge for use of tables and chairs. That can get expensive. Also, usually they have people who do that and we will have to pay them. It might me most effective to hold it at a community center. They are usually cheaper.

Jonathan

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Ok, so where's the forum for this?

And what are we gonna call it?

Inquiring minds wanna know.... :D
The Gonz

Post by The Gonz »

Defintely in, I can devote time and resources to this idea. I would love to get a bigger name out there for rpgs in san diego. START THE FORUM
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="The Gonz"]Defintely in, I can devote time and resources to this idea. I would love to get a bigger name out there for rpgs in san diego. START THE FORUM[/quote]

Whatcha want it called?

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Wintermute"][quote:b773a0c3f1="The Gonz"]Defintely in, I can devote time and resources to this idea. I would love to get a bigger name out there for rpgs in san diego. START THE FORUM[/quote]

Whatcha want it called?[/quote:b773a0c3f1]

How about the THE STING...

oh no wait, I mean THE CON 8)

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Gamer-Con, San Diego.

Nice and oh so original. :D
BreakfastOfChampions

NACHO-CON!

So when someone asks, you can say, "Its My Con! Its Nacho (not your) Con!"
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I wonder if that is copy righted
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote]I wonder if that is copy righted[/quote]

If its not, I call dibs. ;-)

Remi Diel
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Remi Diel »

Above guest is me...Didn't realize I was logged out.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

I don't care who you are, I'll still tell you what I think.

Just Diel with it!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Anonymous"]You can count me in.

And if you're still looking for a good name why not use SanCon?[/quote]

or RPG Condiego

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

How about taking over the gaming area of the San Diego Comicon?
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Skyman"]How about taking over the gaming area of the San Diego Comicon?[/quote]

There is a gaming area at the Comicon??? You don't mean the section where there are tons of people playing Magic and Hero Clicks.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

YES....that is why we need to take it over
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="Skyman"]How about taking over the gaming area of the San Diego Comicon?[/quote]

In all honesty, that's [i]really[/i] not a bad idea.

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

If we can get organized enough, we may even be able to just reserve an entire room for a day. I know they have a lot of rooms that don't get used (that place is freaking huge!)...

This isn't a bad idea at all. :D

A CON within a CON. Sounds like Diggstown to me. :lol:
The Gonz

Post by The Gonz »

Brilliant. I'd be in. I got time on my hands too le tme know if you need help. I like the Con within a con idea. At least as a jumping off point to let people know that its going to exist.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

One of my problems with the con within a con is that you gotta pay to get in to the Comicon. And when I'm there, since I paid so much, I wanna check out the Comicon, not role-play.

Other issues with it: Parking is a bitch. Getting in is a bitch (unless you have a 4-day pass or something). The crowds are a bitch.

Perhaps (just throwing out ideas mind you) we could get a RP room or something at the SoCal Gencon? It's not until December however, and the dates are usually bad, being smack dab in the middle of the holiday season and all.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I'd really rather not do a con-within-a-con thing. Unless what you are doing is truly unique (Dork Stock, a Dork Tower mini-con within a con), it's really not worth it, IMO.

I think we should stick with it being an indy con.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
jasonhead

Post by jasonhead »

I have a couple of ideas. In reply to Comic-Con, they do have a gaming section and not just card games. Mainly hosted by RPGA. They usually do a lot of the gaming at the nearby hotel(s) namely Marriott. I am running a demo there this year and did it last year as well. However, I have alternate ideas.

Since finances are always paramount, the local libraries have rooms to rent for cheap. For instance, the Lemon Grove library rents a conference room for $50 an hour. Not all libraries have conference rooms to rent however. Another option is a hotel which has already been mentioned. I have done demos at the Comfort Inn in Nat'l City and they only charge $115-130 for for all day. Their conference room would seat about 70, though. The bonus about hotels is that people can drive in and stay in the same hotel that they are playing in.

In order to raise the finances needed to rent a space, you can try advertising. Make a pamphlet (hype up the fact it is the 1st annual) and offer companies to pitch in free product or donations for advertising space in the pamphlet. My company, RandymGames, would be willing to donate $100 in addition to free give aways (for prizes, raffles, etc.) in return for advertising space.

jason head
randymgames
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote]Mainly hosted by RPGA. [/quote]

*wince* RPGA... skeery.

[quote]Since finances are always paramount, the local libraries have rooms to rent for cheap. For instance, the Lemon Grove library rents a conference room for $50 an hour. Not all libraries have conference rooms to rent however. Another option is a hotel which has already been mentioned. I have done demos at the Comfort Inn in Nat'l City and they only charge $115-130 for for all day. Their conference room would seat about 70, though. The bonus about hotels is that people can drive in and stay in the same hotel that they are playing in. [/quote]

115-130 a day? I think we could -very- easily deal with that... I don't think our patronage would rise much above 50 - and since we could -easily- make a profit on say, 5 bucks a ticket at that rate... *shrug*

Chulainn
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Chulainn »

[quote="smartmonkey"]I don't think our patronage would rise much above 50 - and since we could -easily- make a profit on say, 5 bucks a ticket at that rate... *shrug*[/quote]

But is it about the Profit? or is it about having a Con and all the fun? Personally breaking even would be my goal, Along with all the fun...and yes I understand there is lots of work to be done, that of course is why we all volunteer..... :D

Just my thought.

C

~twisting reality so you do not have to~
:nutkick:
"It's like rock, paper, scissors, crippling blow to the groin. Crippling blow to the groin always seems to win."- Wintermute
jasonhead

Post by jasonhead »

I agree with you about profits...unless its to put some money aside for a Con next year. Let's just go out and have some fun!
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Hokay...previous entry was by moi....forgot to log in (Dooah!)....

Also the was "What's the buzz" not "What's the buss"...no bussing from this boy! :oops:
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

My comments regarding profit weren't as in "I want money" but more like "We won't be taking a loss" type deal... and yeah, excess cash should go right back into the next time around.

Chulainn
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Chulainn »

[quote="smartmonkey"]My comments regarding profit weren't as in "I want money" but more like "We won't be taking a loss" type deal... and yeah, excess cash should go right back into the next time around.[/quote]

That is what I thought .. :) I just wanted to sure that people realized that making money from this is really not going to happen. Too many people involved, etc. and definetly any money made should be turned right around and put back into it.

Personally it is all about the FUN for me... :lol:

C

"It's like rock, paper, scissors, crippling blow to the groin. Crippling blow to the groin always seems to win."- Wintermute
Chulainn
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Chulainn »

we could always take over this:

http://www.conjecture.org/index.shtml

8)
C