Meet-up?

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
Kuld
One-Armed Skeleton

Meet-up?

Post by Kuld »

So, when's the next big meet-up?
"The trolls may have my life indeed, when I can no more redden keen Laufi. Then you may carry the destroyer of the mailcoat's wand into the howe, without delay." -Bersi the Dueller.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

:word::iamwithst
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Set a date far in advance. Let everyone know. Have beer. Done.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="smartmonkey"]Set a date far in advance. Let everyone know. Have beer. Done.[/quote]
[img]http://www.alwaysontherun.net/gif/dancer.gif[/img]

:word::naughty: :iamwithst

opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

[quote="smartmonkey"]Set a date far in advance. Let everyone know. Have beer. Done.[/quote]
What he said!

A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Well, would you all rather meet at a bar or the beach or a park for a bbq? Maybe an rpg-sandiego drunken frisbee or football game?
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Neuro"]Well, would you all rather meet at a bar or the beach or a park for a bbq? Maybe an rpg-sandiego drunken frisbee or football game?[/quote]

Park for a BBQ get's my vote.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I like the idea of a beach BBQ. A fire might be cool, too, but I dunno how late in the year they leave the rings out.

[edit: Looks like Encinitas is leaving 'em out year round. w00t]
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Park for a BBQ get's my vote.

Chris[/quote]

You know we can bbq at the beach, too, right? Sorry, I realized I wasn't really clear in that other post. Or was that a vote for bbq without sand in it?

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="Wintermute"]I like the idea of a beach BBQ. A fire might be cool, too, but I dunno how late in the year they leave the rings out.

[edit: Looks like Encinitas is leaving 'em out year round. w00t][/quote]

Moonlight has ample parking, fire rings, and grass for people who do not want sand in their bbq, which seems reasonable to me. It also has the volleyball nets. I'm thinking I can coordinate a signup to bring side dishes, everyone can bring their own entree to bbq and beer to drink.

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Neuro"]You know we can bbq at the beach, too, right? Sorry, I realized I wasn't really clear in that other post. Or was that a vote for bbq without sand in it?[/quote]

It was a vote for BBQ without sand, but I'd be willing if that's what everyone else votes for.

Basicly, anything but the bar. :wink:

Chris

Kuld
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Kuld »

It all sounds good to me.
"The trolls may have my life indeed, when I can no more redden keen Laufi. Then you may carry the destroyer of the mailcoat's wand into the howe, without delay." -Bersi the Dueller.
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="Neuro"]everyone can bring their own entree to bbq and beer to drink.[/quote]

No booze at Moonlight, iirc.

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="Wintermute"]No booze at Moonlight, iirc.[/quote]

Does that make it suboptimal for our purposes, or is this acceptable? I wasn't planning on drinking, myself, but I'm not about to rain on anyone else's parade.

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

As long as I have good food, I can do without the booze. Of course, nothing washes down a well-grilled hamburger better then an ice cold brew. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm all for BBQ with or without sand. Since the water is freezing, the beach is only good for atmosphere. And, like it or not, it's chilling off a little out there nowadays.
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="Neuro"]Does that make it suboptimal for our purposes, or is this acceptable? I wasn't planning on drinking, myself, but I'm not about to rain on anyone else's parade.[/quote]

I'm fine one way or another, although Gotetsu does raise some valid points.

Kuld
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Kuld »

[quote="Wintermute"]I'm fine one way or another, although Gotetsu does raise some valid points.[/quote]

And may he raise some valid PINTS!

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="Wintermute"]I'm fine one way or another, although Gotetsu does raise some valid points.[/quote]

Very little is as appealing to me as a fire at the beach, but I honestly had thought that we should plan for an early afternoon gathering simply because it is getting colder. BlanchPrez doesn't like sand in his bbq. So where's a cool place to have a bbq where we can bring beer? We don't spend much time in parks bbqing :) Anybody got any favorites?

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Unca Mord's house? :wink:

Honestly, I dunno. I don't bbq much outside of my own back yard either, so I'm kind of at a loss.

Edit: It just occured to me that the area behind the convention center was pretty cool a couple of years ago, ostensibly for the rpg.net meet up. Just an idea.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Unca Mord's house? :wink:

Honestly, I dunno. I don't bbq much outside of my own back yard either, so I'm kind of at a loss.[/quote]

I really don't think we should hold it at one of the houses while there's still sunshine out there. We're a bigger group now and that's a huge intrusion to a household and a big committment to preparing and cleaning up after. Since I'm patently unwilling to host such a thing, I can't imagine that Unca Mord's wife, what with work and attending some classes herself, will feel any better about it than I do.

I'm sure we can find a nice place.

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I was kiddin...mainly because I feel the same way. :smile:
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Edit: It just occured to me that the area behind the convention center was pretty cool a couple of years ago, ostensibly for the rpg.net meet up. Just an idea.[/quote]

Haha, I actually had that thought as well... but it's coastal, so it might be chilly.

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="Gotetsu"]I was kiddin...mainly because I feel the same way. :smile:[/quote]

Haha, yeah. And we abuse poor Mord enough by making him a moderator.

What about Lake Poway? It's got fishing, a whole lake, paddleboats, it's pretty. It has bbq stuff...

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Just my .02 -- I'd wanna do it outside at a park or beach or lake or whatever.

I think just 'bout anywhere we do it, folks'll have to take jackets, so I would vote for the Embarcadaro behind Seaport Village. The only issue with that place is parking. It's tight there.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="Neuro"]What about Lake Poway? It's got fishing, a whole lake, paddleboats, it's pretty. It has bbq stuff...[/quote]

Um, how about somewhere we don't have to pay for parking?

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Why not Fiesta Island again. That seemed to work really well.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="cczernia"]Why not Fiesta Island again. That seemed to work really well.[/quote]

That's good too. Tons of parking.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I'm a huge fan of fiesta island.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Wintermute"]I'm a huge fan of fiesta island.[/quote]

Well, it seemed to work really well. Why go through all the trouble to find a new location. As long as we remember to keep everything in plastic bottles or cups we should be good.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="cczernia"]Well, it seemed to work really well. Why go through all the trouble to find a new location. As long as we remember to keep everything in plastic bottles or cups we should be good.[/quote]

I object to fiesta island on the grounds that I cannot pee standing up like the lot of you. They don't have proper bathrooms.

J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

[quote="Neuro"]I object to fiesta island on the grounds that I cannot pee standing up like the lot of you. They don't have proper bathrooms.[/quote]
[url=http://www.p-mate.com/eng/intro.html]Now you can.[/url]

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="mordraine"]Just my .02 -- I'd wanna do it outside at a park or beach or lake or whatever.

I think just 'bout anywhere we do it, folks'll have to take jackets, so I would vote for the Embarcadaro behind Seaport Village. The only issue with that place is parking. It's tight there.[/quote]

I like the Embarcadero...but parking there blows

Fiesta Island has no pee pee place for our better half

Santa Rosa bay park?

Morely Field?

J street Pier?

Torrey Pines Beach or CLiffs?

Pepper Grove in Balboa Park?

Shelter Island...off the side of the pier?

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="J@ke"][url=http://www.p-mate.com/eng/intro.html]Now you can.[/url][/quote]

I don't really want supplementary personal equipment. I just want a proper bathroom. And possibly a sink with running water.

opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

[quote="cczernia"]Well, it seemed to work really well. Why go through all the trouble to find a new location. As long as we remember to keep everything in plastic bottles or cups we should be good.[/quote]
Sorry, the wine I drink doesn't come in a plastic bottle and, no Dev, I don't drink the stuff in boxes either...I do have a very nice plastic wine glass though which should do nicely...

A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="opwunder"]Sorry, the wine I drink doesn't come in a plastic bottle and, no Dev, I don't drink the stuff in boxes either...I do have a very nice plastic wine glass though which should do nicely...[/quote]
Pur your hoity-toity wine into a plastic bottle. Either that, or slum it with the rest of us.

Hey, do they put beer in plastic bottles?

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="opwunder"]Sorry, the wine I drink doesn't come in a plastic bottle and, no Dev, I don't drink the stuff in boxes either...I do have a very nice plastic wine glass though which should do nicely...[/quote]

Unfortunately the expectation at any of the beach locations will be no glass containers. I'm sure that most of our drink selections do not come in non-glass containers, but will have to be translpanted in order to be legally had.

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Neuro"]And possibly a sink with running water.[/quote]

Oh, now your really asking for too much.

Chris

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Oh, now your really asking for too much.

Chris[/quote]

I /will/ chase you with a bottle of purell ;)

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="J@ke"][url=http://www.p-mate.com/eng/intro.html]Now you can.[/url][/quote]

That's just... awesome.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

The Dam Breaks

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="opwunder"]Sorry, the wine I drink doesn't come in a plastic bottle and, [b]no Dev, I don't drink the stuff in boxes either[/b]...[/quote]
Alright. If I keep biting my tongue, it's going to bleed.

What the fuck makes you think I give a shit what kind of [i]wine[/i] you drink? Why drag [i]me [/i]into this? Jesus, I haven't even posted a reply to this thread before now! Do you honestly think I'm sitting here smugly quipping "I'll bet that guy drinks [i]box wine![/i]"?

It seems that you think there's some kind of "game" going on between us, some battle of "wits." There isn't. I don't know what in God's name makes you think I'm eagerly lying in wait to take pot shots at you. Whatever it is, let it go. Just let it the fuck [i]go[/i]. That is as nicely as I can put it.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Neuro"]Unfortunately the expectation at any of the beach locations will be no glass containers. I'm sure that most of our drink selections do not come in non-glass containers, but will have to be translpanted in order to be legally had.[/quote]

Yeah, we almost got smacked down with a $1000 fee last time.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Kuld
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Kuld »

I was thinking about Felicita park but it's a $5 fee + $2 per vehicle. It's pretty though, that's where my wedding was a few years ago.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="devlin1"]Alright. If I keep biting my tongue, it's going to bleed.

What the fuck makes you think I give a shit what kind of [i]wine[/i] you drink? Why drag [i]me [/i]into this? Jesus, I haven't even posted a reply to this thread before now! Do you honestly think I'm sitting here smugly quipping "I'll bet that guy drinks [i]box wine![/i]"?

It seems that you think there's some kind of "game" going on between us, some battle of "wits." There isn't. I don't know what in God's name makes you think I'm eagerly lying in wait to take pot shots at you. Whatever it is, let it go. Just let it the fuck [i]go[/i]. That is as nicely as I can put it.[/quote]

:owned:

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]Alright. If I keep biting my tongue, it's going to bleed.

It seems that you think there's some kind of "game" going on between us, some battle of "wits." There isn't. I don't know what in God's name makes you think I'm eagerly lying in wait to take pot shots at you. Whatever it is, let it go. Just let it the fuck [i]go[/i]. That is as nicely as I can put it.[/quote]

I'd prefer that this went via PM. Or that any other comment regarding this went PM.

Capiche?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Who needs wine when you can bring a case of THIS!
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="Cthulhu"]Who needs wine when you can bring a case of [url=http://www.xoxide.com/lightning-bolt-asian-experiance.html]THIS![/url][/quote]i need a drink now knowing that exists. [i]thanks[/i] cthulhu!
Infernus
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Infernus »

[quote]Features:

100% Pure Steven Seagal Juice [/quote]

That sick bastard....

Its never too early to be a bastard!
Kuld
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Kuld »

[quote="Infernus"]That sick bastard....[/quote]

Yummy

Kuld
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Kuld »

Bump
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="Kuld"]Bump[/quote]

Haha. I was thinking of you on my drive home from work, actually. Or of your thread, more to the point. Warmth and light are quickly running out. If y'all wanna meet, gotta pick a place and time.

I think we should have an rpg-sandiego football game or something.