rpg-sandiego.org all-day one-shot meet games

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Here...

Everyone who wants to run a game, list your ideas here.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I think I'll just put Adventure! on the table for myself. No idea what the story plot would be yet though.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Fading Suns d20 - Sir Heath Hawkwood and company finally make it to the barbarian world but the welcome is very cold.

Heavy Gear - Southern Militia agents just finish a mission to discover there transport is no where to be seen. Stuck on the northern/badlands border they must find a way home.

Angel/Buffy - Agents of a parnormal agency must investigate a strange area where people are disappearing into thin air.

Werewolf: The Forsaken - Spirits are doing precision assasination on local people. The work is to organized for a spirit meaning someone or something else is controlling them.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I vote for the Angel/Buffy game!
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

[quote="cczernia"][b]Fading Suns d20[/b] - Sir Heath Hawkwood and company finally make it to the barbarian world but the welcome is very cold.

[b]Heavy Gear[/b] - Southern Militia agents just finish a mission to discover there transport is no where to be seen. Stuck on the northern border they must find a way home.

[b]Angel/Buffy[/b] - Agents of a parnormal agency must investigate a strange area where people are disappearing into thin air.

[b]Werewolf: The Forsaken[/b] - Spirits are doing precision assasination on local people. The work is to organized for a spirit meaning someone or something else is controlling them.[/quote]

Can you run that game where you do the British Accent?

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:b70b78a615="cczernia"][b]Fading Suns d20[/b] - Sir Heath Hawkwood and company finally make it to the barbarian world but the welcome is very cold.

[b]Heavy Gear[/b] - Southern Militia agents just finish a mission to discover there transport is no where to be seen. Stuck on the northern border they must find a way home.

[b]Angel/Buffy[/b] - Agents of a parnormal agency must investigate a strange area where people are disappearing into thin air.

[b]Werewolf: The Forsaken[/b] - Spirits are doing precision assasination on local people. The work is to organized for a spirit meaning someone or something else is controlling them.[/quote]

Can you run that game where you do the British Accent?[/quote:b70b78a615]

Yes.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

So far there have only been three people who've expressed an interest in running games

mordraine - Adventure!
cczernia - a cornucopia of ideas
plaidrhino - D&D or modern fantasy

Anyone else? Skyman? devlin1?
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I think I'm a better player then a GM. But, if there's enough interest, I could do an L5R game, using AEG's 2nd Edition rules. Oh, wait, here's Chris format:

Legend of the Five Rings (AEG 2nd Ed rules) - A mountain region in the Crab lands has been out of contact for too long, and the Legion of the Jade Hand sends a group to investigate the possibility of a Shadowlands incursion.
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Call of Cthulhu D20
Call of Cthulhu
Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages
Call of Cthulhu Modern?
Oriental Adventures D20 with ninjas
Dungeons and Dragons D20 (Nicophears Magic Shop Emporium)
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"][quote:00cca78134="BreakfastOfChampions"]

Can you run that game where you do the British Accent?[/quote]

Yes.[/quote:00cca78134]

I don't think you have much choice.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Foxbat
Cunning Rogue

Post by Foxbat »

[quote="Skyman"]Oriental Adventures D20 with ninjas[/quote]
Sweet!!!!

Daniel

When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I could do Transhuman Space
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'll give others a chance, then tomorrow I'll post a poll. The top 4 vote-getters will be the scheduled games. The next 4 under that will get fill-in slots.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"][quote:e6604b9f55="cczernia"][quote:e6604b9f55="BreakfastOfChampions"]

Can you run that game where you do the British Accent?[/quote]

Yes.[/quote:e6604b9f55]

I don't think you have much choice.[/quote:e6604b9f55]

No, no you don't. And he'll probably be evil :twisted:

[quote="Cthulhu"]I could do Transhuman Space[/quote]

Fuck yeah. I've been dying to play me some Transhuman Space. The L5R sounds cool too.

[quote="Skyman"]Dungeons and Dragons D20[/quote]

:shock:

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="Cthulhu"]I could do Transhuman Space[/quote]

I'd be entirely down for a THS game.

"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="Wintermute"][quote:977b71b8d7="Cthulhu"]I could do Transhuman Space[/quote]

I'd be entirely down for a THS game.[/quote:977b71b8d7]

Hell yeah!

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Neuro"][quote:f7cd263283="Wintermute"][quote:f7cd263283="Cthulhu"]I could do Transhuman Space[/quote]

I'd be entirely down for a THS game.[/quote:f7cd263283]

Hell yeah![/quote:f7cd263283]

I have no idea what this is but I'll :cheers: give it a thumbs up

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="cczernia"]
[quote:bfc622916c="Skyman"]Dungeons and Dragons D20[/quote]

:shock:[/quote:bfc622916c]

I take it your amazed I can GM something other than CoC...I could really flash it back and do AD&D 1st edition Tomb of Horrors like the OF(Old Fart) that I am. For sheezy :naughty:

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Skyman"][quote:60bc15e5ca="cczernia"]

[quote:60bc15e5ca="Skyman"]Dungeons and Dragons D20[/quote]

:shock:[/quote:60bc15e5ca]

I take it your amazed I can GM something other than CoC...I could really flash it back and do AD&amp]

No, I'm sure you can run many different games. I just found it amusing that you put d20 instead of 3rd ed, or 3.5 :D

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Necine - The House That Darkness Built - When the witch Synika ate from the heart of Pormeus she thought she would have power beyond mortal limits. Then her villa vanished, never to be seen again...until recently...

This is an original game system set in an original world. It is a world where magic is part of everyday life...but uncommon magic is where the true power lies. I can eloborate if anyone is interested.
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Ummm...yeah I call it like I see it. 3.0 or 3.5 can blow me. Either way it's D20
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Skyman"][quote:12afce6051="Neuro"][quote:12afce6051="Wintermute"][quote:12afce6051="Cthulhu"]I could do Transhuman Space[/quote]

I'd be entirely down for a THS game.[/quote:12afce6051]

Hell yeah![/quote:12afce6051]

I have no idea what this is but I'll :cheers: give it a thumbs up[/quote:12afce6051]

[url]http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/transhuman/[/url]

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Jake
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Jake »

Will the THS be 3rd or 4th ed?
plaidrhino
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by plaidrhino »

Ok so I finally got my network back up, so I figured I would post my ideas for games to run:

Where ghosts walk/D&D 3.5/Homebrew/Oriental Adventures The Eastern Vale is in turmoil as the clan heirlooms have been stolen and their ancestor spirits are at unrest. Each clan blames the other. Only an exiled sage has wisdom enough to see something more is afoot and brings together some young heroes to find the root of the evil.

Trouble in the Oval Office/M&M The President has been acting strangely as of late, waging war against our previous allies. A bunch of upstart heroes have decided that enough is enough and its time to take the country back.

Scion: An Introduction/M&M, D20 Modern Combo The gods of old walk among us in a society which lies hidden within the populace. For years, they have continued to influence events from behind the scenes but now someone threatens to reveal their nature to the world. Will the godlings be able to band together and find the source of this threat before it is too late?
Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything...... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

[quote="plaidrhino"]
[b]Scion: An Introduction/M&amp] The gods of old walk among us in a society which lies hidden within the populace. For years, they have continued to influence events from behind the scenes but now someone threatens to reveal their nature to the world. Will the godlings be able to band together and find the source of this threat before it is too late?[/quote]

This sounds really cool.

No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="Cthulhu"][quote:dea3b88192="plaidrhino"]

[b]Scion: An Introduction/M&amp] The gods of old walk among us in a society which lies hidden within the populace. For years, they have continued to influence events from behind the scenes but now someone threatens to reveal their nature to the world. Will the godlings be able to band together and find the source of this threat before it is too late?[/quote]

This sounds really cool.[/quote:dea3b88192]

Indeed. Can I play Magni, Norse God of Strength??? :D

Seriously, this is making me rethink the desire to play Adventure!, or run L5R... :shock:

"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I'm with you, Gotetsu-- someone suggested I run something using HERO, but there are some great ideas out there now that I wouldn't want to miss out on by running a game myself. Quite the quandry.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="devlin1"]I'm with you, Gotetsu-- someone suggested I run something using HERO, but there are some great ideas out there now that I wouldn't want to miss out on by running a game myself. Quite the quandry.[/quote]

That's really how I felt about it. If I want to run a one shot, I'll hijack some players some other time. People are always willing to -play-, but how often do a bunch of people actually volunteer to run something you'd like to play???

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Neuro"][quote:22835b045a="devlin1"]I'm with you, Gotetsu-- someone suggested I run something using HERO, but there are some great ideas out there now that I wouldn't want to miss out on by running a game myself. Quite the quandry.[/quote]

That's really how I felt about it. If I want to run a one shot, I'll hijack some players some other time. People are always willing to -play-, but how often do a bunch of people actually volunteer to run something you'd like to play???[/quote:22835b045a]

Like, never.

Mike Olson
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="plaidrhino"][b]Scion: An Introduction/M&amp] The gods of old walk among us in a society which lies hidden within the populace. For years, they have continued to influence events from behind the scenes but now someone threatens to reveal their nature to the world. Will the godlings be able to band together and find the source of this threat before it is too late?[/quote]

This sounds too much like a cross between a Neil Gaiman novel and [i]Mage: The Hero Defined[/i] to not be fun. :D I have long wanted to play a game like this using the M&M rules. If'n you ever run this, whether on this day or not, let me know. I seriously want to try this. :)

plaidrhino
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by plaidrhino »

A lot if it is drawn from reading American Gods. I really enjoyed the originality in that book. I will definitely be running it at some point and may make it into a campaign. I just need to flesh out the feel for it.

EDIT: Good call on Mage too. I could certainly use that for some refernce.

I am glad people like the idea. It'll give me some drive to work on it some more.
Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything...... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

to make this an official proposal:

Adventure! in the Amazon - an intrepid archeological investigative team are sent to the Amazon to look into the possibility of a Lost Tribe and the rumors of ancient Mayan temples.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

This definitely elicits a "Tim Allen" grunt! Ohhh yeah.... :D
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Question: Will this be run in the same manner as previous One-shot deals, where the GM comes armed with a handful of pregen characters?
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Question: Will this be run in the same manner as previous One-shot deals, where the GM comes armed with a handful of pregen characters?[/quote]

yes, all the GMs should make pregens. then there's no time-wasting on chargen, cuz that can suck up 3 hours right there!

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Once we find out what games are being played we should figure out who is playing in what. You'll then know how many characters to make.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="cczernia"]Once we find out what games are being played we should figure out who is playing in what. You'll then know how many characters to make.[/quote]

oh horror! the logistics of it all!! ;)

Jake

Post by Jake »

[quote="mordraine"]yes, all the GMs should make pregens. then there's no time-wasting on chargen, cuz that can suck up 3 hours right there![/quote]

That being said one of my favorite parts of both GURPS and M&M is crafting characters. We do have a couple of months before this happens. Depending on the game I get in on I’d like to work something out with the DM so I could make my own (whether completely on my own or to fit a specific roll) and have it pre-approved.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Jake"][quote:21784ba43c="mordraine"]yes, all the GMs should make pregens. then there's no time-wasting on chargen, cuz that can suck up 3 hours right there![/quote]

That being said one of my favorite parts of both GURPS and M&amp]

Since I've ran a lot of oneshot in the last year or so I've realized that creating characters is a ton of work and takes up most of my prep time for a game. And idea I was thinking about was having someone who owns and is familiar with the game help you make characters. So, you might also be able to do that if not for yourself then possibly for other GMs.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

I just run my program and enter what type of character I want and then the computer does all of the math and shows me a character, if I like it I print and save it, if not, I hit redo. It doesn't take long that way...
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
Jake

Post by Jake »

[quote="cczernia"]Since I've ran a lot of oneshot in the last year or so I've realized that creating characters is a ton of work and takes up most of my prep time for a game. And idea I was thinking about was having someone who owns and is familiar with the game help you make characters. So, you might also be able to do that if not for yourself then possibly for other GMs.[/quote]

I’d love to.

[quote="opwunder"]I just run my program and enter what type of character I want and then the computer does all of the math and shows me a character, if I like it I print and save it, if not, I hit redo. It doesn't take long that way...[/quote]

Holy balls! Are you serious? To me that would be like having a program that creating art until you got something you liked.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Jake"][quote:27badd1b16="mordraine"]yes, all the GMs should make pregens. then there's no time-wasting on chargen, cuz that can suck up 3 hours right there![/quote]

That being said one of my favorite parts of both GURPS and M&amp]

'tis a cool idea, and as chris said, would help the GMs in the prep time. i have no problem with it.

the only slight reservation i just thought of is - usually when the GM makes the pregens, he designs them with the adventure he is writing in mind. so if something like this happens, obviously it would need input from the GM as to what sorts of skills, etc. are going to be needed.

plaidrhino
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by plaidrhino »

If one of my games is being run, I have no problem with those playing in the gam ecoming up with their own characters. THis goes under the assumption however that the character generation will be run by me so I can incorporate it into the storyline and that the character generation will be done before the game day. I don't want to seem like a hardass with this but I have had many occassions where we lost a lot of time because people did not come prepared.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Depending on the system, I'd be down for helping to make my own character, but I also like the Christmas-like wonder of seeing what a GM has come up with for his game.
Mike Olson
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

[quote="Jake"][quote:17b025b705="opwunder"]I just run my program and enter what type of character I want and then the computer does all of the math and shows me a character, if I like it I print and save it, if not, I hit redo. It doesn't take long that way...[/quote]

Holy balls! Are you serious? To me that would be like having a program that creating art until you got something you liked.[/quote:17b025b705]

I use it to create NPC's that have all of their stats and, in this instance, it would make creating a slew of pregens that fit the game quite easy. As I understand it, in a one-shot, all of the prelim work is done so that the players have but to sit read over whatever character/story info/background and familiarize themselves with their character's abilities before plunging in. If that is so, then creating characters this way creates more leeway once you know who is playing and wastes less time.

Now if it were the creation of a character for a campaign by a player, that is a whole different story...

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]Depending on the system, I'd be down for helping to make my own character, [/quote]

Excellent, you can make Mage characters. Just make sure you get the spheres right and don't worry about points, because really, who needs points? :twisted:

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"][quote:91d3e04bb1="devlin1"]Depending on the system, I'd be down for helping to make my own character, [/quote]

Excellent, you can make Mage characters. Just make sure you get the spheres right and don't worry about points, because really, who needs points? :twisted:[/quote:91d3e04bb1]

I know I don't. I don't even know what they do!

Mike Olson