Hyphen-Con report

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Hyphen-Con report

Post by BlanchPrez »

So, this year's Hyph is over, and we are all the sadder for it. Still, it was a TON of fun while it lasted! And, there's photographic proof!

Here we have our lovely Dealer's Room. You can see Chris attempting to trade his beer for a copy of Hello Kitty the RPG.

Next up was the games on Day 1!

Here's the group that played in my Danger Patrol game. We had a fantastic time as the misfit band of heroes attempted to rescue Spark, the Last of the Atomic Data Dogs from the evil Crimson Republic!

ImageImage
And here's some shots of the game in action. Amazingly realistic, I know. The game is just THAT awesome.

Also, one of the players drew a picture of the Robot Detective.

ImageImage
Next up, I got some shots of the guys playing Dresden Files. <witty comment> </witty comment>

There was also a game of Paranoia I played in, which was amazingly fun, but none of you are high enough clearance to view the pictures.

Day 2! Board games day! Here's just a small selection of the games that were brought to the venue.

I played in a game of Three Dragon Ante, which was awesome, even though we all lost to Sam.

But, we then went and played a game of Dread Pirate! I didn't get any pictures of that game, but here's the box. Ooooo. Awesome.

Then, before I left, I got in a game and a half of Dragon Strike!

ImageImage
These are just SOME of the HYPER-REALITY pictures of the characters you can choose in this game. HYPER!

My game cards, displayed before me.

Mike, in a lame pose trying to pretend he was running a game. ;)
I gotta say, though, I loved the GM screen.

ImageImageImage
The game in action!

And look out, there's the DRAGON!

I also got some good shots of the Robo Rally game, though everyone seemed highly confused as to exactly what was happening.
ImageImageImage

And there you have it. Hyphen-Con from the point of view of my phone. Hope you enjoyed this. I know I did!

-Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Great pics Chris!
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

awesome! some of you other shmoes with cameras better get to it and post up your epic pics. do it! now!
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Man I've got to try and stay for board game day next time if only so I can play some Dragon Strike, that game looks awesome. Did you guys bring a VCR to play the VHS?
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="mcellis"]Man I've got to try and stay for board game day next time if only so I can play some Dragon Strike, that game looks awesome. Did you guys bring a VCR to play the VHS?[/quote]

Apparently they have all the vids on youtube, but we didn't bother with that as they aren't necessary (or very related even?) to playing the game. What i do know is that the wizard is super powerful if you pick the right spells!

**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Oh, and some of us were yakking before the con on Saturday and the question of 'how many Hyphencon's has this been' came up and we weren't exactly sure if it started in '04 or '05. I checked the boards backlog and the first one (at Mord's house in CV) was back in '05, so that makes:

HyphenCon1: 2005 (Mord's place)
HyphenCon2: 2006 (Winter & Neuro's)
HyphenCon3: 2007 (Winter & Neuro's)
HyphenCon4: 2008 (Kore)
HyphenCon5: 2009 (Kore)
HyphenCon6: 2010 (Kore)

Pretty sure that's how it went. Also means we are over the hump for a decade of The Hyph!
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

What, no pictures of the late-night Barbarians of Lemuria game?

[quote="mcellis"]Man I've got to try and stay for board game day next time if only so I can play some Dragon Strike, that game looks awesome. [/quote]
It totally was. I could play the shit out of that game. You would've dug it, I think.

[quote]Did you guys bring a VCR to play the VHS?[/quote]
Like Sam said, the tape doesn't actually intersect with the gameplay at all, but the character pictures provide plenty of low-rent fantasy cheese on their own.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]What, no pictures of the late-night Barbarians of Lemuria game?[/quote]

I wasn't sure if that really happened. I guess if you remember it than the game was real.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Yeah how did the late night BoL game end up? I'm sorry I missed that too, but it's probably just as well i left when I did, being so tired that focusing on the road becomes difficult on a 2 hour drive is not recommended.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mcellis"]Yeah how did the late night BoL game end up? [/quote]
In death. Didn't I mention that? Fiery death, even. I'd love to play more of that game, though. In fact, I was considering using it for my proposed all-droid [i]Star Wars[/i] game.

[quote]I'm sorry I missed that too, but it's probably just as well i left when I did, being so tired that focusing on the road becomes difficult on a 2 hour drive is not recommended.[/quote]
Yeah, fair enough.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

[quote="devlin1"]In death. Didn't I mention that? Fiery death, even. I'd love to play more of that game, though. In fact, I was considering using it for my proposed all-droid [i]Star Wars[/i] game.[/quote]

I thought you were joking. What did you go up against that took you down?

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mcellis"]I thought you were joking. What did you go up against that took you down?[/quote]

A cliffhanger from which there can be no escape: There's a dragon descending on us about to bathe us all in fire, and a bunch of dudes from a competing guild who'll finish off whatever's left.

I really want Andy to run the sequel next year for a bunch of random players, so the opening scene can be, "Okay, you're standing outside the doors of a big temple built into the side of a mountain. There's a dragon screaming down at you from the sky and a bunch of guys who are there to kill you. What do you do?"

Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="BlanchPrez"][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/BlanchPrez/Hyphen-Con/DragonStrike5.jpg[/img][/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8LBpMuSTrQ]here's the video[/url] that accompanies the dragonstrike boardgame. king halvor is played by the actor who was matt parkman's dad in heroes. it's priceless. you can actually hear all of the actor's tennis shoes squeak against the linoleum floor of the blue screen studio. made of sheer win.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I love how the wood of the drawbridge matches the wood of the table. It's like they're coming right at me!
Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]In death. Didn't I mention that? Fiery death, even. I'd love to play more of that game, though. In fact, I was considering using it for my proposed all-droid [i]Star Wars[/i] game.

[/quote]

Eh, Chris would just ruin it by insisting on playing a meatbag :biggrin:

**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Eh, Chris would just ruin it by insisting on playing a meatbag :biggrin:[/quote]

Pregens FTW.

Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]Pregens FTW.[/quote]

In my head he is a meatbag.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

that thar's some nice photos, gents. thanks for sharing!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Awesome! I love the D6's. :)

-Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

I'm trying to decide whether there were more beards or glasses than I expected from roleplayers.

I think it was about what I expected.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Missed ya Mike
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Gotta Represent!!!!
Robo Rally...the glory of Victory and the agony of defeat
777 says Skyman you are insane
I don't always drink but when I do I roll a crit
Shhhh I'm hunting wabbits

The contemplation
He rolls and is upset!!!! Dammit, dammit to hell!!!
...because it's a 2
Eureka!
No really they were this tall I tell ya
On the trading block