Maybe HyphenCon would like to use the DriveThru Convention Support Program?

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Maybe HyphenCon would like to use the DriveThru Convention Support Program?

Post by mrlost »

[quote]Greetings, Convention/Event Organizer!

DriveThruRPG is proud to announce our new DriveThru Convention Support Program, whereby we can provide you both broad-based support for all of your attendees as well as specific prizes to be used as game support, in auctions, or however else you feel best supports your program.

All we need to get you set up is the following information:

1)The name, dates, and location of the event.

2)Your web site.

3)Estimated attendance.

4)An idea of how integral gaming is to your event.

5)What publishers you have in attendance or otherwise supporting the event already.

6)Deadlines for program book additions, as well as any formatting or other important information relevant to the program book or other promo materials you are producing for the event.

Please note that we will not be providing any physical product support. Instead, we will be providing codes that can be used to attain discounts and free products that are down-loadable from our site. Here's how it works -

You will receive a “Main Convention Code” that will be useful for a special discount off of a number of products on our site. This can be published in your program book (along with a basic message and graphic for DriveThruRPG), indicating that all members/attendees will be able to make use of the code up to 30 days after the end of the event. Alternately, you could print the code out on small flyers and hand them out as part of whatever “swag bags” you might give away.

You will also receive a number of “Prize Support Codes.” This will be good for a single or limited set of products to be downloaded for free for a single person. They are intended as special giveaways, either to support specific games, the gaming program of the convention overall, or as auction items or other con support. Prize Support Codes will be good for a single customer for 3 months following the end of the event.

Along with the codes, you will be provided graphics that can be used both in your program book and on any printed certificates you hand out. The latter is our suggested method of awarding the Prize Support Codes; we regret that we cannot provide these documents ourselves, but the labor and cost of that for all the events we hope to support would make that impossible. As such, we are empowering you to produce a simple document that promotes both your event and our site in whatever manner best suits you.

We will also supply suggested text for any program book ad or certificates you issue.

We appreciate both your desire to work with us in providing your attendees special support for their participation in your event, as well as the broad support of gaming that you are providing with your efforts. Please let us know if there is any other way we can help you, and thanks for being another great source of support for the gaming hobby.

Sean Patrick Fannon

Marketing and Communications Manager, DriveThruRPG

[email]sean@onebookshelf.com[/email]; (cell) 614-946-9371

[url]http://www.drivethrurpg.com[/url][/quote]

Pasted from Drivethru RPGs facebook page.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Aw, man -- we gotta make a program book?

Seriously, is there any reason not to do this? It sounds like we get a bunch of discounts with no investment on our part. (Assuming, of course, that 30 attendees counts as a convention for them.)
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Hell yeah we should do this. This is an awesome idea. :)

-Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Good news, everyone! Sean finally came through with the convention support materials, and they're... well, they're pretty good.

All Hyphen-Con attendees will get a code for 20% DTRPG products by Cubicle 7, Mongoose, Goodman Games, and many others. That's pretty sweet on its own.

Then, in addition to that, we have five one-time-only codes to download specific products for free. Three of them -- Realms of Cthulhu, FantasyCraft, and the Savage Worlds Fantasy Companion -- are, IMO, good enough to fight over. Of the other two, one is unknown to me ("Karma Roleplaying System Core") and one is of little interest to me (Fat Dragon Games' "Dragonshire Deluxe," a paper terrain-thingy), but if they're put shoulder-to-shoulder with the likes of Realms of Cthulhu, I'm sure they'll be a good get for somebody.

Now we just have to figure out how to distribute them....
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Each GM/session nominates a player, then those have a battle royale dice-off (or munchkin maybe). Top 5 standing win, highest picks first and down the line.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I propose a raffle. Way easier to do. We can even get cheap raffle tix at Party City.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

pft. raffle 'em off to the gm's-- they've earned 'em.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]pft. raffle 'em off to the gm's-- they've earned 'em.[/quote]

Anyone who manages to sit through my game will have earned one, too.

Mike Olson
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

[quote="devlin1"]Anyone who manages to sit through my game will have earned one, too.[/quote]

Is that what we're doing? Because I was planning on making my game [i]fun[/i].

But I can also make it [b]torture[/b] if that's what it takes.

shockvalue
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by shockvalue »

We're gamers. If dice aren't involved, we should be ashamed. Raffle, schmaffle.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="shockvalue"]We're [i]gamers[/i]. If dice aren't involved, we should be ashamed. Raffle, schmaffle.[/quote]

I'm with you. I had an idea to do a dice raffle, but it involves buying (and giving away) about $50 worth of dice*, which is kinda prohibitively expensive, all things considered. Also, we don't have enough lead time. There was also a silent-auction-type dice-rolling idea, but that'd require someone to sit at a table all day and just watch people roll dice, and I don't want to saddle anyone with that (least of all me).

But I've been thinking about other options, so hopefully we'll end up with something more flavorful than raffle tickets. And if anyone else has ideas, let's hear 'em.

If all else fails, though... schmaffle.

Mike Olson
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

I like the idea of the GMs nominating two players from their game, and then those nominated players having a dice-off. The top 4 get a prize.

And maybe the GMs have their own dice-off, and the top 1 gets a prize.

The dice-off should be an interesting one, and here's my proposition:

1) The host of the dice game rolls 1d4, 3d6, 1d8, 1d10, 1d12, and 1d20. The dice results are added together for a total value (8-72, average 40).

2) Each participant roles the same dice, and their goal is to get as close to the total value without going over.

3) We judge the winners (1st-4th) based on their rolls.

4) If too many rolls are higher than the host rolls (and therefore losers), we give prizes to the winners that exist and then have another round with just the remaining loser players.

This should be pretty fast.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm still favoring random luck as the method of give-away, with everyone in attendance eligible. Raffle is the drop-dead easiest way to do it and since there are +-30 in attendance this year, probably the quickest too.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]I'm still favoring random luck as the method of give-away, with everyone in attendance eligible. Raffle is the drop-dead easiest way to do it and since there are +-30 in attendance this year, probably the quickest too.[/quote]

Yeah. I mean, I also thought of doing a pool using d66 -- i.e., a chart with 36 spaces, we roll 2d6 of different colors, you pick a space (corresponding to a number on each die), and if that number comes up on the roll, you win that thing.

Huh. That sounded more complicated in my head than it is in reality. It's actually pretty much the same as a raffle, but with dice. We could have a posterboard or something downstairs by the front door, and you pick a spot when you come in.

I'm kinda categorically against the GM-picks-a-player, simply because I don't want to pick a player. *shrug*

Oh, and I had a reference-less asterisk in my last post. Here's what it was going to be:

*As it turns out, Chessex sells sets of seven dice for $3.85 apiece; I can also buy them at my FLGS for the same price. So buying ~60 dice would be a lot less than Mord and I originally estimated.

Mike Olson
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

You could still do my system (or yours) without DMs picking anybody. Maybe just everyone in attendance gets to roll. Using my system, of course.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I think there is only one way to determine this and that is through a ping pong tournament :razz:
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="ekomega"]You could still do my system (or yours) without DMs picking anybody. Maybe just everyone in attendance gets to roll. Using my system, of course.[/quote]
I see the time required as a significant factor. One person rolling 2d6 five times is faster than 30 people rolling a eight dice five times, and adding them all up five times, and comparing results five times, and rerolling [i]ties[/i] five times, and saying "Wait, it was... 1d12, 3d...8?" at least three times. I do not think that would be pretty fast. It'd be one thing if that were the mechanic for a game, and -- well, it'd be a pretty bulky mechanic for a game, too, but at least over time there'd be familiarity with it, so in theory the process would speed up. Of course, people who don't like rolling handfuls of dice would probably shy away from it, and I guarantee that a significant portion of the Hyphen-Con attendees this weekend will fall into that category, and therefore be annoyed at the system -- possibly to the extent of saying "Oh, screw it" and not participating at all.

Basically, I don't know what time of day this will occur, but I do know one thing: No matter when it is, people will want to get it the fuck [i]over[/i] with already. Raffle tickets and the pick-a-square thing are dead simple and require virtually no investment of time or arithmetical effort on the part of the attendees; that makes them superior options, IMO.

Mike Olson
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

[quote="devlin1"]Blah blah blah[/quote]

I didn't say it was the best idea, it was just a fun idea. Don't be a hater. [i]Real[/i] men roll lots of dice.

My original idea involved spending a couple of hours making a very complicated table, and then people rolling their dice, and then consulting the table.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]We could have a posterboard or something downstairs by the front door, and you pick a spot when you come in.
[/quote]

Since you're lobbying for this method, I assume you'll be getting the posterboard and drawing out the squares? Cuz if not, let me know and I'll buy raffle tix tomorrow at Party City.

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I say we just go with a raffle. That way, everyone get's a chance, and it's not overly complicated.

-Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"]Since you're lobbying for this method, I assume you'll be getting the posterboard and drawing out the squares? Cuz if not, let me know and I'll buy raffle tix tomorrow at Party City.[/quote]

I have some raffle tickets at the library. If I remember to grab them I'll let you know.

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup