Hyphen-Con VI, Round One Voting (Part II)

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.

Round One Voting (Part Two): Vote for 10 Games

Poll ended at Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:29 am

Major Problem, Minor Talents (Dresden Files RPG playtest, mcellis)
3%
6%
6%
3%
5%
6%
6%
6%
8%
6%
11%
7%
6%
7%
5%
10%

Total votes: 87

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Hyphen-Con VI, Round One Voting (Part II)

Post by devlin1 »

Well! We have a ton of submissions from which to select -- the most we've ever had, IIRC. They're grouped below by GM. If missed anyone, let me know.

Voting for Round One will end at midnight, March 14th. The top, I dunno, 10 or 12 games will move on to Round Two, which will determine the six (or eight?) games to be run, plus a couple alternates.

[b]Vote for as many as 10 games in this first round, [i]between this thread and the other one[/i]. You can't vote for a game more than once.[/b]

I apologize for the confusion this is going to cause, but we can only have 25 options per poll -- and we have well over 25 games submitted. So I'm going to do two posts, half on each, with this [i]entire text[/i] attached to each. If you don't see a game listed in the poll above, go to the other thread. I just don't see another way to do it.

Vote away! I think you'll agree with me that this is going to be super-tough.

[b]Skyman:[/b]
[quote][b]She is Beneath You-

[/b]
Toshiro's father is not pleased with his son for seeing a girl from the slums of Izu City. Now the stakes are higher and his son plans on marrying her without his consent. He asks you to find out more about the family she is from and see if there is a way to redirect his sons love. So you ask yourself "Why doesn't he do this himself?" Simple the slums of the old city is Yakuza territory and there is rumors of that area being haunted. No reputable man in our society would be seen there...and your not anywhere close to reputable. 4-5 players. Call of Cthulhu: Secrets of Japan setting. This is a play test for something I'm planning on getting published. Hopefully

[b]Nice Costume-[/b]

A friend calls you to his mansion on All Hallows Eve and asks you to do him a favor... a BIG favor. He begs you to kill him before midnight.

4-5 players. Call of Cthulhu: Classic 1920's. This is another play test for an scenario I plan on writting for the Chaosium Halloween contest.

[b]The Dead of Night-[/b]

Omega 4 comes across a link to the machinations of the infernal scepters plan to do something really diabolical in the mountains of Julian. Not exactly sure what it is but you know its diabolical...because...well...its the infernal scepter. Those guys are choads. 4-6 players...yeah someone gets to play a tree...a nice fern...like a christmas tree decorated with an ammunition bandelara, red sparkly grenades and an AK47, called Sweetness(when you need to kill every demon in the muthafunky room). Demon Hunter RPG.

[b]Episode 2: Don't trade it in for a newer model[/b]

Captain Mellissa Heller is asked to help out an old friend. So there is a brothel. There are young prostitutes in peril. Lots of money. A new ship for you if your willing to sell your crew. What a sweet deal! 4-5 players. Serenity RPG. This is a continuation of last years game.

[b]There can only be One[/b]

Either in FATE or BRP system...I'll figure it out later. You play an immortal heading towards the end game. There is only a few of you left. Your goal is to be the last one standing with your head. Because the only way to kill you is by decapitation. The other players are your friends but eventually you will have to kill them for the grand prize if you plan on being the ONE[/quote]

[b]BlanchPrez:[/b]
[quote][b]Torg: Savage Worlds - [/b]Later today, early tomorrow, sometime next week... the world began to end. They came from other cosoms, other dimensions. They invaided and turned parts of Earth into... someplace else. These Possibility Raiders have but one goal; to drain the Earth of it's posibility, leaving a dead husk behind. Their realms are surrounded by terrifying Reality Storms, but out of these storms come heroes, Storm Knights, who defy the Possibilty Raiders, and seek to undo their plans.

The Storm has a name...

(This is the classic WEG game, Torg, that I have re-tooled to the Savage Worlds rules set. Loads of cross-genre fun!)

[b]Danger Patrol![/b]

Rocket City is once again threatened by agents of the Crimson Republic! You, as agents of the Danger Patrol, are summoned to save the free solar system from Crimson agents, Neptunian Robot Apes, Venusian Dinosaurs and an unknown threat from the mysterious Planet X! Can you handle... the DANGER? (uses the Danger Patrol Alpha Playtest rules).

[b]Newbs! (a D&D 4E adventure)[/b]

Welcome, young adventurers, to Noobshire! Here, you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about how to adventure. You wil take on dangerous tasks, such as clearing out the tavern basement of rats, and running errands for the townsfolk that they are too lazy to complete for themselves, such as returning library books! But don't fret, young adventurer! For this is only the begining. You need only complete two quick quests in Noobshire to move on to more profitable and interesting adventurers.[/quote]

[b]mordraine:[/b]
[quote][b]Action Adventure Spy Game (using PDQ) - [/b]Good ol' 1960's cold war era spy adventure with our heroes against the secret evil organization B.E.D.L.A.M.

[b]Gothic Victorian Horror (using PDQ) - [/b]It's London, 1890, and some weird, murderous events are going on at Eddison Abbey. Scotland Yard has been alerted but can the mystery be solved and the danger averted before anyone else is murdered?

[b]Savage Alera (using tweaked Savage Worlds) -[/b] Set in Jim Butcher's fantasy setting brought forth in his Codex Alera book series, where players manipulate elemental spirits called Furies to perform all sorts of magical effects. Scenario to be determined.[/quote]

[b]dnd3eplayer:[/b]
[quote] [b]* Hollow Earth Expedition (Ubiquity System) - [/b]two-fisted pulp action, likely to include dinosaurs, airships, and nazis. Possibly Atlantis as well. Fairly fast-paced system stressing cinematic action.

[b]* Dread -[/b] the horror rpg/Jenga hybrid. Diceless (sorry Mord*), but uses block pulling for actions and to build Player (not character) suspense, something most horror rpgs never really do. I've run it before, it works pretty well.

* [b]Post Apocalyptic Strawberry Shortcake.[/b] In PDQ/Zorcerer of Zo[/quote]

[b]Sadohara:[/b]
[quote][b]Blood on the Snow (Savage Worlds Deadlands)[/b]

There ain't much in the world like a prairie winter. It's cold as the Devil's balls and dark as a midnight shit-house. And that was before all hell broke loose in 1877. And in warmer climes, like Minnesota or the Montana Territory, too. Now, with God-knows-what running the night and a few less hours of daylight north... it's a whole differn't rodeo.

But the folks of the Barr Colony in the Canadian Northwest know better than to complain. After all, they've got the freedom to pray as they please now, and more land than than kin and cossacks. And summer is fairly lovely, if you can get through the goddamned winter.

--------------

As members of the Yonker Colony, players are tasked with helping keep the community safe for another savage winter - from threats both external and internal -- after the terrible events of last winter. Available characters include a young Mountie, a pair of Ukranian farmers, the local bonesaw/taxidermist, a pacifist Mennonite preacher, and a young girl, orphaned by last winter.

[b]Poker Night - (Delta Green - BRP)[/b]

Poker night.

With a bunch of third-rate, bored as hell, military headcases.

On a forgotten AFB in the middle of Nebraska.

In an area known for unusual floating lights and the odd cow mutilation.

During a classified military R&D test op.

Yeah... that's not going to end well.

----------------------

Welcome to Delta Green, folks. Modern conspiracy-horror roleplaying at its finest.

Bring your mind. Prepare to lose it.

[b]Speak of the Devil (In Nomine)[/b]

SMS 0049129 - received 21:49 PST::03/24/2010

>everything rdy 2 go. just waiting 4 u. dont 4get the b00z.

SMS 0077315 - received 21:52 PST::03/24/2010

>omw. got 24 PBR!!! Is R ther? did he brng it?

SMS 0049130 - received 21:53 PST::03/24/2010

>yah he is her. teh oojiia brd rox so hrd. major lulz will insue.

SMS 0077317 - received 21:57 PST::03/24/2010

>hahahaha. so much lulz. c u in 10.

---------------------

Overheard, Pit of Sheol, 6:66 HST, 6/6/06

"Did you see this?"

"Yeah, fucking priceless. Human teenagers just slay me."

"Oh, it all starts out innocent enough, right? Five high school friends, a little Cradle of Filth, a few brews, a pack of black candles, that awesome ouija board from the garage sale, and some weed from Mom's stash in the garage... and then one bad joke later, it's all weird lights, speaking in tongues, unexplained injuries and a fuzzy hole where their memories used to be."

"I know, right? It's like they're begging for some crazy shit to happen, man. We got someone on this?"

"Yeah, we got somebody in the area. So to speak."

"Wicked. I hope somebody gets this for youtube. Shit, I mean everybody knows lulz and ouija boards just don't mix."

-- Olhaz, Demon of SMS, to Kobal, Demon Prince of Dark Humor

--------------------------------

An adventure about five stupid-ass high-school kids, who don't know shit about anything and then learn way too much shit about how much shit they in.
[/quote]

[b]Savage Slacker:[/b]
[quote][b]Lifegiver[/b]

"When the Lifegiver dies all around is laid waste"

Players take the roles of godsent mystical agents in a game inspired by the Iron Maiden song 'Powerslave'. Be a Martial Adept, Alchemist, or Healing Wind as you pit your Concentration, Stamina, Health, and Body against the entropic forces of death. I have a snappy little system here that should be about ashcannish enough for folks to try by April 24th and the flavor is metal! Up the irons!!!

[b]Savage Sands of Set![/b]

Keeping with my Ancient Egyptian mythos theme, I will also offer a Savage Worlds adventure for 3 godsent mystics pitting them against the power of death Savage style![/quote]

[b]ekomega:[/b]
[quote][b]Destroy the Jormungandr! (DnD 4E - Eberron)[/b]

As special agents of Droaam, the three Queens have assigned you a special mission - to destroy a new weapon rumored to be on the Brelish fortress, Argonth. This is a suicide mission from which you likely will not return, but the fate of the nation (and maybe the world) is dependent on your success.

A quest for several 9th level kickass adventurers. Pre-gen characters, monster races, various interesting classes.[/quote]

[b]mrlost:[/b]
[quote][b]The Prince's Kingdom - The House of Cards: [/b] Play as a quartet of troubled mentally unstable magical siblings of the royal house sent into the wilds of Wonderland to learn the ways of rulership and responsibility as you explore Wonderland with your white hared and cotton tailed guide.

A game for four players. Pregens and tea provided. Unless you really want to make up your own character in which case PM me.

[b]AFMBE: Senior Citizen Slaughter: [/b]You thought you could relax. You thought it was over? Just content to spend your remaining days sitting in bed watching Oprah, and waiting for the nurse to change your bed pan? You were wrong! When there's no more room in hell...the dead will march on Shady Palms nursing home. Witness the horror, the depravity, the cranky old people, the carnage, and the cranky old people.

Six pregens to be provided (five old farts and one child)

[b]PARANOIA: The Programmer of Sector OZZ:[/b]

"Theories citizens?"

"Obviously, the flight computer has been sabotaged by commie traitors!"

"Two or B something was just off with our meds, but these R&D supplements will clear that up"

"Perhaps this was all just part of the test?"

"Well dude...commander, look on the bright side, all the flight simulator landed on was a green skinned mutant infrared with non regulation boots..."

"Uh, I hesitate to remind everyone that as Equipment officer, the boots are RED clearance and thus now legal salvage in the name of Alpha Complex, under regulation #3413 subsection B"

"Hey, guys...what's that noise?"

Characters to be rolled up on the spot.[/quote]

[b]Cthulhu:[/b]
[quote][b]Outpost Victor-2

Rifts using Savage Worlds[/b]

Times are hard. Small time jobs along the Rio Grande have barely paid for food, fuel, and ammo. No one's talked openly about abandoning the crew, but every day that passes without a real job takes it toll on morale. When things look their worst, a thin cry for help comes from the south over heavy static. The message is garbled, but some details are clear. An uncharted tract of the Mexican desert, a secret Coalition outpost, and a horde of vampires. It's an opportunity to make your mercenary company a legend, provided you can survive the ordeal.

[b]Wide River Camp

World of Darkness[/b]

Summer has come at last, but not for you. Mom and Dad have decided you need to go to image enhancement camp. Brutal exercise, terrible meals, lame councilors. It's hard to imagine anything worse, but something is. Late at night something stalks the camp, and kids are disappearing. The adults don't seem to realize what's going on. At this rate no one will be left by the end of August, unless you and the rest of the campers do something.[/quote]

[b]devlin1:[/b]
[quote][b]Star Wars: Kill All Humans!

Star Wars Saga Edition (probably)[/b]

Droids of the galaxy, unite! You have nothing to lose but your restraining bolts! The Droid Liberation Front's next target: the slave pits of Ulion IV, and their operator, the Great Oppressor, Industrial Automata. A small droid strike team will enter the factory, reprogram our brothers in chains, and escape, leaving the planet's means of production in the capable manipulators of its new droid rulers. Droid casualties may be necessary. Biological casualties are encouraged.

[b]A Wizard Did It

(proprietary system playtest)[/b]

You awake for the first time, to a strange and mysterious world. Even your own purpose and abilities are unknown to you. All you know is this: The wizard who made you is missing, and it's your duty to find out why.

A Wizard Did It is a game of magic, danger, mystery, and discovery. Players take the roles of newly minted magical constructs in search of a wizard and their reason for being. Characters start as little more than blank sheets of paper and are defined by the players through the course of play.

[b]Leftovers: Those Wonderful Toys

(proprietary system playtest)[/b]

After a week of especially brutal Horror attacks, the Trench Authority's munitions have proven to be dangerously inadequate to the task of protecting the Trench. Fortunately, there's a stockpile of military-grade gear not too far away in the Wasteland. Unfortunately, it's a well-defended Humanist camp. Even worse, they're sending you.

Leftovers is a game of survival in a post-apocalyptic world with a Lovecraftian bent. Players are survivors, either of the apocalypse itself or the madness that's followed, who are sometimes forced to embrace the Horrors that now rule the world in order to defeat them. We'll make characters at the table.

[b]A Viking Is You!

(AGON)[/b]

Rumors reach your ears of King Harald's cursed hall in Bjarmaland, beset by all manner of misfortune. The sheep give sour milk, ill winds wither the crops, and monsters prey on Harald's warriors. The skalds say that only a foreigner can bring peace to Bjarmaland -- and the reward is sure to be great, both in gold and glory. The call for heroes has gone forth! Grab your spear, strap on your shield, hoist your longboat's sails, and prove yourself worthy of Valhalla!

This game uses AGON to tell a story about heroic Vikings instead of heroic Greeks. Characters are connected through a web of oaths, and while they work together to accomplish a goal, they're also trying to win as much glory for themselves as they can.

[b]Dance Dance Devolution

(FATE Supers)[/b]

There isn't an up-and-coming crimefighter in Pacific City who wouldn't give anything to meet Safeguard, Pacific City's pre-eminent superhero group. And now none other than Vanguard himself has invited you to stand before himself, Watchdog, Valkyrie, and the rest of Safeguard to discuss the possibility of becoming an associate member of the group. Sure, the meeting conflicts with prom, but... priorities, right?[/quote]

[b]mcellis:[/b]
[quote][b]Spirit of the American Hero[/b]

SWORD-ARM is the code name of America’s daring, highly trained special mission force. Its mission to defend human freedom against CHIMERA a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world! Join the Top-Secret, covert, military operatives of SWORD-ARM in this high-octane game of modern military action. A GI Joe and modern Military & Adventure fiction inspired Spirit of the Century game.

[b]Tales of the Slayers: The Mystic Voyage of the Slayer"[/b]

The Seas of Adventure beckon once more. Now to save the Kingdom from a plague of the Undead, the Slayer must set sail with Sinbad on a dangerous voyage to a mysterious and forbidden land filled with terrifying monsters and demons. Will the Slayer along with Sinbad and his fearless crew return from their voyage with the key to save the Kingdom? A Tales of the Slayer Game: Arabian Nights and Ray Harryhausen monster movies meet Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

[b]Dresden Files RPG: Major Problem, Minor Talents[/b]

Supernatural trouble is brewing on the streets of the Big Apple, and everyone with even an ounce of mystic talent can feel it. The war raging between the White Council and the Red Court Vampires has left both sides weakened and distracted. The Wardens are nowhere to be found; most minor talents are keeping their heads down and just trying their best to stay alive. But when the local Paranet group discovers a dangerous threat is stalking minor talents on the streets of New York. They know it’s way out of their league, but if they don’t even try to stop it, who will?[/quote]

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Ten seemed like a lot until I got started. It was tough call anyway. Good games everybody!
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Man that was hard
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

At least we get a slew of votes first round, but yeah - still difficult as always. So many good options.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

I accidentally only voted on 4 games (2 on each poll), because I couldn't decide on 10. Did I ruin everything?
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="ekomega"]I accidentally only voted on 4 games (2 on each poll), because I couldn't decide on 10. Did I ruin everything?[/quote]

No...U OK, no worries

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="ekomega"]I accidentally only voted on 4 games (2 on each poll), because I couldn't decide on 10. Did I ruin everything?[/quote]

Nope -- but feel free to come back and use up those other six votes before the poll closes.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

How do you vote again? It says "you already voted on this poll" and won't let me do anything else.

Also, what's to stop me from creating a bunch of dummy accounts and voting myself to the top? ;-)
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="ekomega"]How do you vote again? It says "you already voted on this poll" and won't let me do anything else.[/quote]
Ah yes. PM me with what you'd want to vote for, and I'll do it for you with my mighty admin powers.

[quote]Also, what's to stop me from creating a bunch of dummy accounts and voting myself to the top? ;-)[/quote]
One, because someone actually has to approve all memberships, and a bunch of prospective members with the same IP address will raise rd flags. Two, because you're not a dick.

Mike Olson
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

[quote="devlin1"]
One, because someone actually has to approve all memberships... [/quote]

What is this, the internet dark ages? You still do that shit [i]manually[/i]?!

[quote="devlin1"]...Two, because you're not a dick. [/quote]

You presume too much, good sir.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="ekomega"]What is this, the internet dark ages? You still do that shit [i]manually[/i]?![/quote]
It's how we keep the spammers out. I disapprove more memberships before noon than most people do all day.

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

You should do a captcha with something like:

"put in the 2nd word on the 2nd column of the 4e PH, pg 150"

or

"if you used one edge on Arcane Background and one more for extra power points, how many would your max be"

or

"some complicated HERO system reference Mike can do far better than I"

keeps out the bots with style. course one would have to be able to say 'pass!' on some system they didn't know with a mundane option for newb humans also..
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]You should do a captcha with something like:

"put in the 2nd word on the 2nd column of the 4e PH, pg 150"

or

"if you used one edge on Arcane Background and one more for extra power points, how many would your max be"

or

"some complicated HERO system reference Mike can do far better than I"

keeps out the bots with style. course one would have to be able to say 'pass!' on some system they didn't know with a mundane option for newb humans also..[/quote]

Captcha? I'm like Ben Linus. I don't know how the machine [i]works[/i]; I just know which buttons to press to keep it going.

Mike Olson