Hyphen Con VI: Pimp your game!

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Savage Slacker »

And to throw out another one for the less adventurous(or just crazy-ass Savages:2guns:) -

Savage Sands of Set!

Keeping with my Ancient Egyptian mythos theme, I will also offer a Savage Worlds adventure for 3 godsent mystics pitting them against the power of death:naughty: Savage style!
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

Poker Night - (Delta Green - BRP)

Poker night.
With a bunch of third-rate, bored as hell, military headcases.
On a forgotten AFB in the middle of Nebraska.
In an area known for unusual floating lights and the odd cow mutilation.
During a classified military R&D test op.

Yeah... that's not going to end well.

----------------------

Welcome to Delta Green, folks. Modern conspiracy-horror roleplaying at its finest.
Bring your mind. Prepare to lose it.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

nice
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mcellis"]Things "I" want to run? Or things "You" want me to run Mike? ;)[/quote]

Run what I want. Run Dresden Files! :mrgreen:

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

Destroy the Jormungandr!

DnD 4E - Eberron

As special agents of Droaam, the three Queens have assigned you a special mission - to destroy a new weapon rumored to be on the Brelish fortress, Argonth. This is a suicide mission from which you likely will not return, but the fate of the nation (and maybe the world) is dependent on your success.

A quest for several 9th level kickass adventurers. Pre-gen characters, monster races, various interesting classes.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

All right -- things are looking good. We have a pretty decent selection of games now (I've updated my summary post accordingly).

Now for the boldface.

If you haven't done so already (that'd be me), post your final pitch in this thread no later than March 7th at, say, midnight. People are going to read those pitches to decide where to put their votes, so make 'em compelling.

The first round of voting will begin March 8th and close March 14th. Think of these as the primaries.

The second round of voting will begin March 15th and close March 21st. This round will narrow things down to the six or so games to be run at Hyphen-Con, plus two alternates.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

SMS 0049129 - received 21:49 PST::03/24/2010
>everything rdy 2 go. just waiting 4 u. dont 4get the b00z.

SMS 0077315 - received 21:52 PST::03/24/2010
>omw. got 24 PBR!!! Is R ther? did he brng it?

SMS 0049130 - received 21:53 PST::03/24/2010
>yah he is her. teh oojiia brd rox so hrd. major lulz will insue.

SMS 0077317 - received 21:57 PST::03/24/2010
>hahahaha. so much lulz. c u in 10.

---------------------

Overheard, Pit of Sheol, 6:66 HST, 6/6/06

"Did you see this?"

"Yeah, fucking priceless. Human teenagers just slay me."

"Oh, it all starts out innocent enough, right? Five high school friends, a little Cradle of Filth, a few brews, a pack of black candles, that awesome ouija board from the garage sale, and some weed from Mom's stash in the garage... and then one bad joke later, it's all weird lights, speaking in tongues, unexplained injuries and a fuzzy hole where their memories used to be."

"I know, right? It's like they're begging for some crazy shit to happen, man. We got someone on this?"

"Yeah, we got somebody in the area. So to speak."

"Wicked. I hope somebody gets this for youtube. Shit, I mean everybody knows lulz and ouija boards just don't mix."

-- Olhaz, Demon of SMS, to Kobal, Demon Prince of Dark Humor

--------------------------------

Speak of the Devil (In Nomine)
An adventure about five stupid-ass high-school kids, who don't know shit about anything and then learn way too much shit about how much shit they in.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Some other things I think would be fun/interesting, but that I probably won't end up running:

Time & Temp, a game about time-traveling temps who correct temporal anomalies

Ancient Odysseys: Treasure Awaits!, a pared-down fantasy adventure game with an old-school aesthetic

Barbarians of Lemuria, a Conanesque sword-and-sorcery game that everyone's just batshit for, apparently

Eldritch Ass-Kicking, a game about curmudgeonly old wizards vying to be, I dunno, Master of the Universe or something

Still, I can look back on this next year and go "Oh yeah, that game... I should run that."
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Goodness, I glad I'm not too late for a most important date...I'm really hoping

The Prince's Kingdom - The House of Cards:
Play as a quartet of troubled mentally unstable magical siblings of the royal house sent into the wilds of Wonderland to learn the ways of rulership and responsibility as you explore Wonderland with your white hared and cotton tailed guide.

A game for four players. Pregens and tea provided. Unless you really want to make up your own character in which case PM me.

AFMBE: Senior Citizen Slaughter: You thought you could relax. You thought it was over? Just content to spend your remaining days sitting in bed watching Oprah, and waiting for the nurse to change your bed pan? You were wrong! When there's no more room in hell...the dead will march on Shady Palms nursing home. Witness the horror, the depravity, the cranky old people, the carnage, and the cranky old people.

Six pregens to be provided (five old farts and one child)

PARANOIA: The Programmer of Sector OZZ:

"Theories citizens?"

"Obviously, the flight computer has been sabotaged by commie traitors!"

"Two or B something was just off with our meds, but these R&D supplements will clear that up"

"Perhaps this was all just part of the test?"

"Well dude...commander, look on the bright side, all the flight simulator landed on was a green skinned mutant infrared with non regulation boots..."

"Uh, I hesitate to remind everyone that as Equipment officer, the boots are RED clearance and thus now legal salvage in the name of Alpha Complex, under regulation #3413 subsection B"

"Hey, guys...what's that noise?"

Characters to be rolled up on the spot.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Senior Citizen Slaughter was fun...if I recall right. Good times. Highly recommend
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]Senior Citizen Slaughter was fun...if I recall right. Good times. Highly recommend[/quote]

Yeah, that was a few years ago at Andy and Liz's. And it was indeed good times.

Glad to see my Princes' Kingdom prodding worked!

Mike Olson
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

[quote="devlin1"]Yeah, that was a few years ago at Andy and Liz's. And it was indeed good times.

Glad to see my Princes' Kingdom prodding worked![/quote]

Hey, if it hadn't been for you I would have forgotten about Hyphen Con at least until April

Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Awesome Egyptian Mythos Iron Maiden Metal Games!

Post by Savage Slacker »

:machinegu

BTW, both of my games will be optimized for 3 players
Lights! Camera! Action! Roll 'em!
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Here's what I got.

Outpost Victor-2

Rifts using Savage Worlds
Times are hard. Small time jobs along the Rio Grande have barely paid for food, fuel, and ammo. No one's talked openly about abandoning the crew, but every day that passes without a real job takes it toll on morale. When things look their worst, a thin cry for help comes from the south over heavy static. The message is garbled, but some details are clear. An uncharted tract of the Mexican desert, a secret Coalition outpost, and a horde of vampires. It's an opportunity to make your mercenary company a legend, provided you can survive the ordeal.

Wide River Camp
World of Darkness
Summer has come at last, but not for you. Mom and Dad have decided you need to go to image enhancement camp. Brutal exercise, terrible meals, lame councilors. It's hard to imagine anything worse, but something is. Late at night something stalks the camp, and kids are disappearing. The adults don't seem to realize what's going on. At this rate no one will be left by the end of August, unless you and the rest of the campers do something.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Let me get some real pitches in here before the deadline's upon us.

Star Wars: Kill All Humans!
Star Wars Saga Edition (probably)
Droids of the galaxy, unite! You have nothing to lose but your restraining bolts! The Droid Liberation Front's next target: the slave pits of Ulion IV, and their operator, the Great Oppressor, Industrial Automata. A small droid strike team will enter the factory, reprogram our brothers in chains, and escape, leaving the planet's means of production in the capable manipulators of its new droid rulers. Droid casualties may be necessary. Biological casualties are encouraged.

A Wizard Did It
(proprietary system playtest)
You awake for the first time, to a strange and mysterious world. Even your own purpose and abilities are unknown to you. All you know is this: The wizard who made you is missing, and it's your duty to find out why.

A Wizard Did It is a game of magic, danger, mystery, and discovery. Players take the roles of newly minted magical constructs in search of a wizard and their reason for being. Characters start as little more than blank sheets of paper and are defined by the players through the course of play.

Leftovers: Those Wonderful Toys
(proprietary system playtest)
After a week of especially brutal Horror attacks, the Trench Authority's munitions have proven to be dangerously inadequate to the task of protecting the Trench. Fortunately, there's a stockpile of military-grade gear not too far away in the Wasteland. Unfortunately, it's a well-defended Humanist camp. Even worse, they're sending you.

Leftovers is a game of survival in a post-apocalyptic world with a Lovecraftian bent. Players are survivors, either of the apocalypse itself or the madness that's followed, who are sometimes forced to embrace the Horrors that now rule the world in order to defeat them. We'll make characters at the table.

A Viking Is You!
(AGON)
Rumors reach your ears of King Harald's cursed hall in Bjarmaland, beset by all manner of misfortune. The sheep give sour milk, ill winds wither the crops, and monsters prey on Harald's warriors. The skalds say that only a foreigner can bring peace to Bjarmaland -- and the reward is sure to be great, both in gold and glory. The call for heroes has gone forth! Grab your spear, strap on your shield, hoist your longboat's sails, and prove yourself worthy of Valhalla!

This game uses AGON to tell a story about heroic Vikings instead of heroic Greeks. Characters are connected through a web of oaths, and while they work together to accomplish a goal, they're also trying to win as much glory for themselves as they can.

Dance Dance Devolution
(FATE Supers)
There isn't an up-and-coming crimefighter in Pacific City who wouldn't give anything to meet Safeguard, Pacific City's pre-eminent superhero group. And now none other than Vanguard himself has invited you to stand before himself, Watchdog, Valkyrie, and the rest of Safeguard to discuss the possibility of becoming an associate member of the group. Sure, the meeting conflicts with prom, but... priorities, right?
Mike Olson
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

Wow... voting is going to be a bugger. there are a ton of good games here.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Sadohara"]Wow... voting is going to be a bugger. there are a ton of good games here.[/quote]

No kidding. This is going to make for a huge list to compile on Sunday -- not to mention a huge poll (that's what she said).

Mike Olson
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

So here's my game pitches:

Spirit of the American Hero
SWORD-ARM is the code name of America’s daring, highly trained special mission force. Its mission to defend human freedom against CHIMERA a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world! Join the Top-Secret, covert, military operatives of SWORD-ARM in this high-octane game of modern military action. A GI Joe and modern Military & Adventure fiction inspired Spirit of the Century game.

Tales of the Slayers: The Mystic Voyage of the Slayer"
The Seas of Adventure beckon once more. Now to save the Kingdom from a plague of the Undead, the Slayer must set sail with Sinbad on a dangerous voyage to a mysterious and forbidden land filled with terrifying monsters and demons. Will the Slayer along with Sinbad and his fearless crew return from their voyage with the key to save the Kingdom? A Tales of the Slayer Game: Arabian Nights and Ray Harryhausen monster movies meet Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Dresden Files RPG: Major Problem, Minor Talents
Supernatural trouble is brewing on the streets of the Big Apple, and everyone with even an ounce of mystic talent can feel it. The war raging between the White Council and the Red Court Vampires has left both sides weakened and distracted. The Wardens are nowhere to be found; most minor talents are keeping their heads down and just trying their best to stay alive. But when the local Paranet group discovers a dangerous threat is stalking minor talents on the streets of New York. They know it’s way out of their league, but if they don’t even try to stop it, who will?