Hyphen Con VI: Pimp your game!

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
cczernia

Hyphen Con VI: Pimp your game!

Post by cczernia »

With Hyphen con just around the corner it is time to get a list of games going. You goes know the drill: give us the name of the game and a brief description.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Hi everyone,

She is Beneath You-
Toshiro's father is not pleased with his son for seeing a girl from the slums of Izu City. Now the stakes are higher and his son plans on marrying her without his consent. He asks you to find out more about the family she is from and see if there is a way to redirect his sons love. So you ask yourself "Why doesn't he do this himself?" Simple the slums of the old city is Yakuza territory and there is rumors of that area being haunted. No reputable man in our society would be seen there...and your not anywhere close to reputable. 4-5 players. Call of Cthulhu: Secrets of Japan setting. This is a play test for something I'm planning on getting published. Hopefully

Nice Costume-
A friend calls you to his mansion on All Hallows Eve and asks you to do him a favor... a BIG favor. He begs you to kill him before midnight.
4-5 players. Call of Cthulhu: Classic 1920's. This is another play test for an scenario I plan on writting for the Chaosium Halloween contest.

The Dead of Night-
Omega 4 comes across a link to the machinations of the infernal scepters plan to do something really diabolical in the mountains of Julian. Not exactly sure what it is but you know its diabolical...because...well...its the infernal scepter. Those guys are choads. 4-6 players...yeah someone gets to play a tree...a nice fern...like a christmas tree decorated with an ammunition bandelara, red sparkly grenades and an AK47, called Sweetness(when you need to kill every demon in the muthafunky room). Demon Hunter RPG.

Episode 2: Don't trade it in for a newer model
Captain Mellissa Heller is asked to help out an old friend. So there is a brothel. There are young prostitutes in peril. Lots of money. A new ship for you if your willing to sell your crew. What a sweet deal! 4-5 players. Serenity RPG. This is a continuation of last years game.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I can't really get as specific as Simon, but I have some vague ideas:

A Wizard Did It: A game I've been working on and which could use a playtest at some point. The players play sentient constructs "waking up" for the first time. The system is a simple 2d6 roll-over thing centered around making up your character and the world they're exploring as you go.

Leftovers: Some Leftovers game or other. I dunno. Like I said, my ideas are vague.

Star Wars: Kill All Humans!: The Droid Liberation Front's continuing mission to free oppressed droids everywhere, preferably with biological casualties. Not sure what the system would be -- either SWSE or FATE. Or... I dunno. Something. Maybe I'll go hog-wild and do it in BRP just for the hell of it. BTW, have you seen the size of the BRP core book? How on Earth does that "B" stand for "Basic"?

Whatever It Was I Pitched Last Year That Didn't Make It: What'd I pitch last year? The Viking Agon thing? There was something else, too, but I forget what it was.

EDIT: Ah, here it is.

A Viking Is You
Rumors reach your ears of King Harald's cursed hall in Bjarmaland, beset by all manner of misfortune. The sheep give sour milk, ill winds wither the crops, and monsters prey on Harald's warriors. The skalds say that only a foreigner can bring peace to Bjarmaland -- and the reward is sure to be great, both in gold and glory. The call for heroes has gone forth! Grab your spear, strap on your shield, hoist your longboat's sails, and prove yourself worthy of Valhalla!

(An Agon adventure, with Vikings instead of Greeks, for any number of players.)

EDIT II: THE EDITING: By request:

FATE Supers: A Silver Age-y high-school heroes game, possibly a sequel to the game I ran at OrcCon.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]I can't really get as specific as Simon, but I have some vague ideas:[/quote]

What about FATE Supers high school game :sad:

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]What about FATE Supers high school game :sad:[/quote]

Oh, right! Let me add that.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Torg: Savage Worlds - Later today, early tomorrow, sometime next week... the world began to end. They came from other cosoms, other dimensions. They invaided and turned parts of Earth into... someplace else. These Possibility Raiders have but one goal; to drain the Earth of it's posibility, leaving a dead husk behind. Their realms are surrounded by terrifying Reality Storms, but out of these storms come heroes, Storm Knights, who defy the Possibilty Raiders, and seek to undo their plans.

The Storm has a name...

(This is the classic WEG game, Torg, that I have re-tooled to the Savage Worlds rules set. Loads of cross-genre fun!)

As Yet Unnamed D&D 4E Game - I'm not sure which of the many ideas I have for a 4E game I want to use, but I for sure want to submit a 4E game for consideration. I'll post more when I'm decided.

That's it as of right now. If/when I come up with more, I'll post.

-Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]Oh, right! Let me add that.[/quote]

Hurray! :mrgreen:

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="BlanchPrez"][b]Torg: Savage Worlds[/b] - Later today, early tomorrow, sometime next week... the world began to end. -Chris[/quote]

Nice word smithing there big guy

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="devlin1"]I can't really get as specific as Simon, but I have some vague ideas:

[/quote]

They sound good to me

Speaking of FATE or BRP...I have another idea

[b]There can only be One[/b]

Either in FATE or BRP system...I'll figure it out later. You play an immortal heading towards the end game. There is only a few of you left. Your goal is to be the last one standing with your head. Because the only way to kill you is by decapitation. The other players are your friends but eventually you will have to kill them for the grand prize if you plan on being the ONE

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Skyman"]Nice word smithing there big guy[/quote]

I wish I could take credit for it, but that's lifted straight from the original Torg game.

-Chris

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Bummer dude...I thought the story a week thing was really making your writting jump out and stuff
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

So I'm really going to try to make it down to Hyphen-Con from LA this year. I'm thinking of running and offering some of my standard Strategicon games, both SotC/FATE and Buffy/Tales of the Slayers games.

So since I know a lot of people have played in my Shattered Earth and Red Planet games, I think my new Spirit of the American Hero will be the SotC game.

Spirit of the American Hero:
SWORD-ARM is the code name of America’s daring, highly trained special mission force. Its mission to defend human freedom against CHIMERA a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world! Join the Top-Secret, covert, military operatives of SWORD-ARM in this high-octane game of modern military action. A GI Joe and modern Military & Adventure fiction inspired Spirit of the Century game.

Now as for my Buffy games I'm willing to take requests, Here's what I've got in the offering.

Tales of the Slayers Games:
When in Rome (Roman Empire)
Mystic Voyage of the Slayer (Arabian Nights)
The Chooser of the Slain (Viking Myth)
The Slayer of Sherwood (Robin Hood)
Bright Blades & Black Magick (Musketeers)
Dead Man’s Bones (Caribbean Pirates)
The Terror of Kali (Colonial India)
Bright Light City (Sixties Las Vegas)
Beach Blanket Bloodbath (Surf Movies)
Scream Slayer Scream (Exploitation Movies)
Bloody Night in Coahuila (Mexploitation Movies)
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mcellis"][b]Spirit of the American Hero:[/b][/quote]
C'mon! Now's your chance to run the OSI game!

Mike Olson
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Tell me Mike what would really be the difference between the two games? Besides renaming the characters and adding some campier aspects to the setting? And you can do all that in your head at the table. Also it's still don't ask don't tell. ;)

And I think what you're really asking for is for me to finally run the Venture Brothers: Clean-Up on Aisle De La Muerta!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mcellis"]Tell me Mike what would really be the difference between the two games? [/quote]
Explicitness!

[quote]And I think what you're really asking for is for me to finally run the Venture Brothers: Clean-Up on Aisle De La Muerta![/quote]
That too. I think you'll find some pretty big Venture Brothers fans among the Hyphen-Con attendees.

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]That too. I think you'll find some pretty big Venture Brothers fans among the Hyphen-Con attendees.[/quote]

he ain't lying...

**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

the what brothers? adventure what?
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

I am now aware that the Venture Brothers is not a Dragon's Den/Shark Tank entrepreneurial reality show, which I had assumed and therefore paid no interest to.

Thank you for raising awareness.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Sadohara"]I am now aware that the Venture Brothers is not a Dragon's Den/Shark Tank entrepreneurial reality show, which I had assumed and therefore paid no interest to.

Thank you for raising awareness.[/quote]

Wow. Either you're joking ("Shark Tank" on Cartoon Network? Really?) or you're not the man I thought you were.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

haha u guyz r funneeeeeee

Games:

Action Adventure Spy Game (using PDQ) - Good ol' 1960's cold war era spy adventure with our heroes against the secret evil organization B.E.D.L.A.M.

Gothic Victorian Horror (using PDQ) - It's London, 1890, and some weird, murderous events are going on at Eddison Abbey. Scotland Yard has been alerted but can the mystery be solved and the danger averted before anyone else is murdered?

Yeah, PDQ... I wanna see how it works in different genres.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Can you plz enlighten the uninitiated as to what PDQ stands for?

EDIT: Because it would be more pimpish to pimp your game like that and not have someone think it was Pathfinders Dairy Queen
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]Can you plz enlighten the uninitiated as to what PDQ stands for?

EDIT: Because it would be more pimpish to pimp your game like that and not have someone think it was Pathfinders Dairy Queen[/quote]

[url=http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf]Prose Descriptive Qualities.[/url] It's the system [i]The Zantabulous Zorcerer of Zo[/i] uses.

Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Most excellent Mike
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I've got the following I'm thinking about:
  • Hollow Earth Expedition (Ubiquity System) - two-fisted pulp action, likely to include dinosaurs, airships, and nazis. Possibly Atlantis as well. Fairly fast-paced system stressing cinematic action.
  • Dread - the horror rpg/Jenga hybrid. Diceless (sorry Mord*), but uses block pulling for actions and to build Player (not character) suspense, something most horror rpgs never really do. I've run it before, it works pretty well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just putting these down so I don't miss out like usual. I'll add details as I think of them, hopefully before voting time ;)

* maybe you shouldn't have bogarted all the PDQ goodness!
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]* maybe you shouldn't have bogarted all the PDQ goodness![/quote]

Unwritten rule - Once a GM calls out a ruleset, no other GM may suggest a game using that ruleset. HA!

I will be voting for Hollow Earth.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="mordraine"]Unwritten rule - Once a GM calls out a ruleset, no other GM may suggest a game using that ruleset. HA!

I will be voting for Hollow Earth.[/quote]

What? That leaves out Spirit of the Century and Savage Worlds, the two most popular rules set at this event.

I would officially like to withdraw my D&D 4E game from the voting list. I think I only want to run (or at least, put up for voting) the Torg Savage World conversion.

-Chris

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]What? That leaves out Spirit of the Century and Savage Worlds, the two most popular rules set at this event.[/quote]

Well naturally I'm being facetious. There's no "shotgun" for systems.

That brings up another question - Is SW popular at The Hyph? I personally love the system, but don't think there have been that many SW games run... Maybe I'm misremembering.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]That brings up another question - Is SW popular at The Hyph? I personally love the system, but don't think there have been that many SW games run... Maybe I'm misremembering.[/quote]

I think you're right -- not a lot of SW gets run. I think that may be because Hyphen-Con is often a showcase for games that you don't get to play very often. I know that for me, I'd sooner run, say, [i]Mouse Guard[/i] at Hyphen-Con rather than Strategicon. And SW is (or seems) popular enough as it is outside The Hyph, so maybe people have been reluctant to run it.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I only remember one game that was run using SW. Chris ran a Rippers game a few years back.

I'd run Codex Alera, but no one knows the setting. Tsk.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]I only remember one game that was run using SW. Chris ran a Rippers game a few years back.[/quote]
I recall that game -- I was in it. I took a picture of it with my phone.

[quote]I'd run Codex Alera, but no one knows the setting. Tsk.[/quote]
Pfft. I don't know the setting, and I thought it was pretty fuckin' rad. Why don't you put that fuckin' shit on the fuckin' table, fucker?

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

OK, fucker.

Game:

Savage Alera (using tweaked Savage Worlds) - Set in Jim Butcher's fantasy setting brought forth in his Codex Alera book series, where players manipulate elemental spirits called Furies to perform all sorts of magical effects. Scenario to be determined.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it just seems like there's been at least 1 SW game every year.

Didn't Cthulu run an SW version of TMNT?

-Chris
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Didn't Cthulu run an SW version of TMNT?
[/quote]

Let's go to the videotape!

[quote="cthulhu in the Hyphen-Con '08 game-promotion thread"]
The Battle of Lost Vegas(TMNT, After the Bomb)[/quote]

Looks like Palladium. That's what After The Bomb is, right? I have it around here somewhere....

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]Let's go to the videotape!

Looks like Palladium. That's what After The Bomb is, right? I have it around here somewhere....[/quote]

ATB is in Palladium all right, but he didn't run it in that. John and I have discussed it a time or two, and I think Chris is right about the Savage worlds, but I'm not 100%.

**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]ATB is in Palladium all right, but he didn't run it in that. John and I have discussed it a time or two, and I think Chris is right about the Savage worlds, but I'm not 100%.[/quote]

How dare he call it After The Bomb when it's [i]not [/i]After The Bomb! Now the historical record is inaccurate!

Mike Olson
Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Greetings from Long Beach

Post by Savage Slacker »

:peep:Howdy,

I just received an invite to Hyphen-con from devlin1. Some of you may know me by the alias Sayler. I am stoked to be coming down to SD to game with you all on what looks to be April 24th(sounds like a good date to me).

The games I've seen pitched all sound quite awesome and I can't wait to participate. I will contribute my own ideas soon, as well.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

We're far from done with the pitching (although we need to do some proper pitching for each game and wrap it up within the next few weeks so we have enough time to vote), but here's a summary of what we have so far (updated 2/28):

She is Beneath You (CoC playtest -- Skyman)

Nice Costume (CoC playtest -- Skyman)

The Dead of Night (Demon Hunters -- Skyman)

Episode 2: Don't trade it in for a newer model (Serenity RPG -- Skyman)

There can only be One (system TBD -- Skyman)

A Wizard Did It (system playtest -- Me)

Leftovers (system playtest -- Me)

Star Wars: Kill All Humans! (system TBD -- Me)

A Viking Is You (Agon -- Me)

FATE Supers (FATE hack playtest -- Me)

Torg (Savage Worlds -- BlanchPrez)

Newbs! (D&D 4E -- BlanchPrez)

Danger Patrol (BlanchPrez)

Spirit of the American Hero (FATE -- mcellis)

One of 23 different Tales of the Slayers Games (Buffy -- mcellis)

Action Adventure Spy Game (PDQ -- mordraine)

Gothic Victorian Horror (PDQ -- mordraine)

Savage Alera (Savage Worlds hack playtest -- mordraine)

Hollow Earth Expedition (Ubiquity -- dnd3eplayer)

Dread (Dread -- dnd3eplayer)

Blood on the Snow (Savage Worlds Deadlands -- Sadohara)

Poker Night (BRP Delta Green -- Sadohara)

Speak of the Devil (In Nomine -- Sadohara)

Lifegiver (homebrew system -- Savage Slacker)

Savage Sands of Set (Savage Worlds -- Savage Slacker)

Destroy the Jormungandr! (D&D 4E Eberron -- ekomega)
Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

We need to get this list finished up so we can start voting on games to be included!!
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

I might also be offering a Dresden Files game, if anyone is interested.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mcellis"]I might also be offering a Dresden Files game, if anyone is interested.[/quote]

Uh, obviously. That shit will fill up like a bucket in a rainstorm.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Morgan, I'd suggest, since these things are voted on, to shave your list down to 3 or 4 good concepts.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Morgan, I'd suggest, since these things are voted on, to shave your list down to 3 or 4 good concepts.[/quote]

Yeah, pitch the three or four things you'd really want to run. Like, Dresden Files RPG, FATE OSI, and post-apoc Strawberry Shortcake.

[img]http://cache-04.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2010/02/500x_shcakekit.jpg[/img]

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]Yeah, pitch the three or four things you'd really want to run. Like, Dresden Files RPG, FATE OSI, and post-apoc Strawberry Shortcake.

[/quote]

I would totally run a post-apoc strawberry shortcake game. Probably in PDQ.

**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

[quote="devlin1"]Yeah, pitch the three or four things you'd really want to run. Like, Dresden Files RPG, FATE OSI, and post-apoc Strawberry Shortcake.[/quote]

Things "I" want to run? Or things "You" want me to run Mike? ;)

At the moment the previously mentioned FATE GI Joe, and the various Buffy games are already prepped and ready to go. The Dresden game is going to have to be prepped sooner or later for the summer cons, so I figured a Hyphen con debut could be a good deadline, and I thought I'd offer it up.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]I would totally run a post-apoc strawberry shortcake game. Probably in PDQ.[/quote]

Do it. [url=http://io9.com/5477868/post+apocalyptic-strawberry-shortcake-leads-80s-toys-rebellion/gallery/]Here's your inspiration.[/url] PDQ would be great for that.

[quote="mcellis"]Things "I" want to run? Or things "You" want me to run Mike? ;)[/quote]
What? Those two are [i]identical[/i]! Don't sling that tautology at me.

[quote]At the moment the previously mentioned FATE GI Joe, and the various Buffy games are already prepped and ready to go. The Dresden game is going to have to be prepped sooner or later for the summer cons, so I figured a Hyphen con debut could be a good deadline, and I thought I'd offer it up.[/quote]
I guess what we're saying is pick one or two of those Buffy games and pitch them, because if we leave them all in there it's gonna split the vote something wicked.

Mike Olson
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

Okay, so I thought I had nothing to run, but there was something left, it seems.

Blood on the Snow (Savage Worlds Deadlands)

There ain't much in the world like a prairie winter. It's cold as the Devil's balls and dark as a midnight shit-house. And that was before all hell broke loose in 1877. And in warmer climes, like Minnesota or the Montana Territory, too. Now, with God-knows-what running the night and a few less hours of daylight north... it's a whole differn't rodeo.

But the folks of the Barr Colony in the Canadian Northwest know better than to complain. After all, they've got the freedom to pray as they please now, and more land than than kin and cossacks. And summer is fairly lovely, if you can get through the goddamned winter.

--------------

As members of the Yonker Colony, players are tasked with helping keep the community safe for another savage winter - from threats both external and internal -- after the terrible events of last winter. Available characters include a young Mountie, a pair of Ukranian farmers, the local bonesaw/taxidermist, a pacifist Mennonite preacher, and a young girl, orphaned by last winter.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I just thought of another game I want to run (this would take the place of my 4E D&D game, since I can't come up with a decent idea for a one shot for that).

Danger Patrol!

Rocket City is once again threatened by agents of the Crimson Republic! You, as agents of the Danger Patrol, are summoned to save the free solar system from Crimson agents, Neptunian Robot Apes, Venusian Dinosaurs and an unknown threat from the mysterious Planet X! Can you handle... the DANGER? (uses the Danger Patrol Alpha Playtest rules).

-Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="BlanchPrez"](this would take the place of my 4E D&D game, since I can't come up with a decent idea for a one shot for that).[/quote]

Of course, now that I've said that, I come up with the idea.

[b]Newbs![/b] (a D&D 4E adventure)

Welcome, young adventurers, to Noobshire! Here, you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about how to adventure. You wil take on dangerous tasks, such as clearing out the tavern basement of rats, and running errands for the townsfolk that they are too lazy to complete for themselves, such as returning library books! But don't fret, young adventurer! For this is only the begining. You need only complete two quick quests in Noobshire to move on to more profitable and interesting adventurers.

-Chris

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]I just thought of another game I want to run (this would take the place of my 4E D&D game, since I can't come up with a decent idea for a one shot for that).

[b]Danger Patrol![/b][/quote]

YES! Man, I totally forgot about this one.

Mike Olson
Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Savage Slacker »

Ok, this is totally experimental, but here goes:

Lifegiver

"When the Lifegiver dies all around is laid waste"

Players take the roles of godsent mystical agents in a game inspired by the Iron Maiden song 'Powerslave'. Be a Martial Adept, Alchemist, or Healing Wind as you pit your Concentration, Stamina, Health, and Body against the entropic forces of death. I have a snappy little system here that should be about ashcannish enough for folks to try by April 24th and the flavor is metal! Up the irons!!!:twisted: