Hyphencon 2017::13th Annual

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Hyphencon 2017::13th Annual

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Time to start getting ready for this year's Hyphen-con, our 13th one! They grow up so fast, don't they? It seems like only yesterday it was a little tot, and now it can go to all the popular PG-13 movies, post comments on the internet without its parents, and become a full member of the jewish faith (hyph-mitzvah?). Plus all those body changes are coming.

When: Saturday Nov 11th and Sunday Nov 12th, 2017
Where: Mordraine's Offices (thanks for hosting again Andy!) [Note, offices will be in the same location in Sorrento Valley area, details/address to follow later]
What: RPGs and Potluck on Sat, Board/Card/other games on Sun. Game swap (bring your old games to trade) either day, but Sat usually has more people and trades. Prizes & other craziness TBD
Who: is running things? We vote! So start thinking about what you want to run (max of 2 submissions per GM please). I'll be posting the 'Pimp your game' thread right after this post.
Why: Because 'The Hyph' is awesome!

Discussion, things I forgot, etc - this thread you are reading right now.
Put your hat in the ring to run games - the 'Pimp Your Game' thread.
More to come later.

--> Make sure to Subscribe to this thread so you will be notified when new stuff happens. I'll be posting to last year's thread so everyone subscribed there will get an email also and I'll send out a mass email to all users. I think Andy or Chris or someone will post to Facebook or Google+ also, if you like that sort of thing.
Last edited by SpaceMonkey on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Re: Hyphencon 2017::13th Annual

Post by devlin1 »

November 11th and 12th! There's zero chance I can make that. November 11th is both my mom's birthday and my mother-in-law's birthday, plus that weekend is also probably going to be an Extra Life charity event in San Diego.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Savage Slacker »

My schedule looks good for attending this year. I'm pretty sure most of my LA group will be coming down together(annual Hyph road trip!) I'm working up a very compelling pitch for ApocWorld2e(which I very recently acquired and am super-stoked to play!). :machinegu
tomes
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by tomes »

Hey folks. Might be able to go this year but it may be contingent on bringing my eight-year-old daughter. She likes to play role playing games and I'm willing to run games for kids but the question is: is that a thing here?
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

I think we have had wee little folk before.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Ok, polls are closed and final games list has been posted (copied below). GMs have basically 3 weeks of prep time.

Think about what you want to bring for potluck and for the games trade table. We'll likely have a jockey box and some delicious drinkables again as well.

Games list for this year:
Children of Fire [cczernia] - Tribe 8
Shalam Colony 1887 [cczernia] - Dresden Files Accelerated (old west)
A World with a Bluer Sun [mrlost] - Star Trek Adventures*
Monde de la Bête! [mordraine] - D&D 5th Edition
Countdown [Cthulhu] - Tales from the Loop*
Anybody wanna say no to saving the world? [SpaceMonkey] - Our Last Best Hope*
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
AnotherFangirl
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by AnotherFangirl »

Hey hey! I've got a some questions for you all!

1) Any recommendations for places to eat?
Us LA folks are always looking for a good place to eat on the Friday we drive down. We've been to Karl Strauss a few times and, while it is a pretty nice place, several of us don't really drink so we can't really appreciate it as much as others might. It's always fun to have more options anyway. Our hotel is suuper close to hyph so it's a good reference point.So any recs around the area?

2) What're people planning to bring to the potluck?
It seems like the food options tend to lack balance if we don't at least attempt to plan these things.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

1) so we do a potluck on Saturday and on Sunday we usually go out to local eateries (there are a number of good choices right up the road from the venue - on Scranton between Carroll Canyon and Mira Mesa). Mord can probably suggest some other options for your Friday night. Pho Ca Dao is a Vietnamese place I like - it is right up on Mira Mesa also (maybe 2-3 miles east of the venue on Mira Mesa).

2) Planning is good. I feel like some years we end up with more desserts than mains ;) I plan on bringing my usual 'some kegs of things to drink' (depends on what is ready by then, but I have a Sour Cherry Short Mead, a Pear Short Mead, a Pale Ale all fermenting now and some partial kegs of other stuff that may make an appearance). I'm planning on doing a sparkling water or lemonade or other non-alcoholic drink as well (currently leaning towards pomegranate sparkling water but I'm open to suggestions.
--If I get time to cook also, I'll probably do a potato salad or something.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

The Hyph is *this weekend* people. Woo!
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

REMINDER: The venue is at Mord's work building:
The address is:
[redacted]

12 noon!
Last edited by SpaceMonkey on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Posts for 2018 are up:

Info Thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=11832
Pimp your Games: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=11833
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**