Qin: The Warring States

An assortment of game systems and genres. One night only.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Qin: The Warring States

Post by devlin1 »

I picked up Qin: The Warring States a while ago, because I'd always been curious about it ever since Weapons of the Gods left a bad taste in my mouth. Now I'm thinking about running a one-shot of it for OrcCon. Only problem is, I've never played or run Qin before, so I'm hoping that maybe some of you guys would be interested in a playtest-ish one-shot next Friday (12/14) so I can check it out in more detail.

The system in a nutshell: 2d10, of different colors -- the Yin-Yang Dice. Roll both, take the difference (e.g., a 6 and a 2 would be 4). Add skill rank and stat rank for your total, which is compared against a target number. Doubles mean you automatically exceed the target number by a margin equal to the value rolled on either die (e.g., if your target is 10 and you roll double 4s, your roll is effectively 14). It's pretty elegant.

As for the style, it's realistic(-ish) wuxia. More like "Crouching Tiger" or "Hero" or "House of Flying Daggers" than WotG or Exalted. It's also a very politically oriented game, dealing as it does with the first days of the Qin Dynasty during the Warring States period. Long before the Shaolin, back when swords, spears, and armor were the order of the day.

Anyone interested in that and available on the 14th? I'm thinking maybe around three to six players.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

sounds neat. i'm in.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm down.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I'm there.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]I'm there.[/quote]
I'll make sure to make a guy named Five-Fingers Flaming Monkey Fist for you.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]I'll make sure to make a guy named Five-Fingers Flaming Monkey Fist for you.[/quote]

So you're saying I floated that guy into my River to use later? ;)

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]So you're saying I floated that guy into my River to use later? ;)[/quote]
Banish all thoughts of the River from you mind.

Speaking of which, though, [i]Qin [/i]uses the Chinese elements -- Metal, Earth, Water, Fire, Air -- as stats, just as [i]WotG [/i]does, but instead of having five different Chi pools (six if you count Void, which we don't), there's only one, so it doesn't get as crazily complicated.

Mike Olson
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'm down for this.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I'm interested but...you know...I have to see if I can. I might also be on duty after hours at work which might be weird for you guys to see me do while playing if I get a call
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]I'm interested but...you know...I have to see if I can. I might also be on duty after hours at work which might be weird for you guys to see me do while playing if I get a call[/quote]
Well, I'd assume you'd, y'know, leave the table, if it came to that. But hopefully you can make it.

Mike Olson
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I bought the book.. might as well use it. I'm in.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Count Zero"]I bought the book.. might as well use it. I'm in.[/quote]
That's exactly the sort of enthusiasm we're looking for!

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

So, as I see it, we have six players: Albert, Chris, Sam, John, Jonathan, and Simon. Whew. That's the most I can take. Do we have a place to play?

Allowing for the drive down there, I wouldn't count on being able to start sooner than 7:30 or 8:00, but I will design this thing to be mercifully short so we're not stumbling out of that at three in the morning.

Hopefully I'll get some character info posted later this week.
Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Sweet, look forward to playing Frances #2 game :mrgreen:

[quote="devlin1"]So, as I see it, we have six players: Albert, Chris, Sam, John, Jonathan, and Simon. Whew. That's the most I can take. Do we have a place to play?

Allowing for the drive down there, I wouldn't count on being able to start sooner than 7:30 or 8:00, but I will design this thing to be mercifully short so we're not stumbling out of that at three in the morning.

Hopefully I'll get some character info posted later this week.[/quote]

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="devlin1"]That's the most I can take. Do we have a place to play?
[/quote]

I can offer my humble place.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Are we still doing this?

if so are we doing it at my place this Friday?
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]Are we still doing this?[/quote]
It's on!

[quote]if so are we doing it at my place this Friday?[/quote]
If you're offering it up, I'm happy to play there. I'll just need a refresher on where it is, exactly.

Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="devlin1"]It's on!.[/quote]
Excellent...Bring it ON

[quote="devlin1"]If you're offering it up, I'm happy to play there. I'll just need a refresher on where it is, exactly.[/quote]
I am offering!...like Humans sacrifices to Great Cthulhu, BABY! because I want this to happen like no one else

If anybody else needs info on where they need to be at 7:30-8:00 just PM me

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i'm still coming.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Friday? crap. I have to go to happy hour with michelle and her co-workers. I probably won't see them again before we leave for SF. I can't make it..

What time were you looking at starting?
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Count Zero"]Friday?

What time were you looking at starting?[/quote]

7:30-8:00

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I'll be there.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Actually, I am leaving Saturday morning to fly up to SF now also. Sorry. I won't be able to make it.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

fyi: cczernia is out sick.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]fyi: cczernia is out sick.[/quote]
Bullshit!

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Getting these out a little on the late side, but....

Flowing River Xiao
Background:
Flowing River is a serious young adult – barely 17 – whose ultimate ambition is nothing less than being the greatest swordsman in all of Zhongguo. To that end, he spends the majority of his time under Left Hand's tutelage in a never-ending quest to perfect his skill with a jian. A native of Nao, he, Hui-Ling, and Li-Li have known each other since childhood, but such is Flowing River's focus, however, that he sees Li-Li as little more than a trusted friend and sparring partner, while Hui-Ling's apparent inability to seriously pursue a discipline troubles him. Still, Flowing River finds time to sheathe his sword now and then to share a meal with his friends at Mrs. Shen's noodle house.

Ni Li-Zhen, "Li-Li"
Background:
Li-Zhen, known to most in Nao as “Li-Li,” has an undeniable talent for the martial arts, but if it weren't for her unrequited love for Flowing River she might never have realized it. It started with an attempt to impress the object of her affection, then blossomed quickly into something else. The idea of a slight, 5'-tall wisp of a girl fighting a spear that's taller than herself has drawn the derision of more than one wu xia, but their laughter dies on their lips when they see her in action. Unlike Flowing River, though, there's more to Li-Li's life than martial study, and she can frequently be found gathering flowers in fields, gossiping in Nao's marketplace, or listening raptly to Hui-Ling's stories.

Black Ox
Background:
With his towering physique, rough ways, and booming voice, Black Ox stands out from the other citizens of Nao. He's a native of the town, but clearly the blood of the Xiongnu horsemen runs in his veins. A pupil of Left Hand, he favors heavy weapons like the ba chui, or wolf-teeth staff, but such is his strength and ferocity that even his bare hands pose a serious threat to the unwary. However, he lacks the focus of Flowing River and often lets his overconfidence get the better of him. In fact, he finds the young swordsman's finesse with a jian to be as irritating as it is impressive. Black Ox sometimes chafes under Left Hand's authority, but can't deny his shifu's prowess in combat.

Huang Hui-Ling
Background:
Hui-Ling may have been born in Nao, but he's one of its more well-traveled residents. He feels that Destiny has something important in store for him, although what it might be remains a mystery. In an effort to find out, he's learned a little of everything in his travels: a little swordplay here, a little magic there. Recently, Hui-Ling sought to broaden his knowledge of external alchemy with Nao's resident mystic, Old Wei, and was surprised to learn that the eccentric old man is secretly a Taoist with knowledge of exorcism. Hui-Ling's best friends since childhood are Flowing River and Li-Li, and has had a crush on the latter for as long as he can remember. Nothing's ever come of it, though; there always seems to be another pretty girl around to catch his eye.

Old Wei
Background:
Ask anyone in Nao, and they'll be hard-pressed to remember a time when this eccentric herbalist and mystic hasn't been living somewhere in town. Sometimes homeless and begging, often accommodated gratefully by those he heals, Old Wei is one of Nao's more enigmatic citizens. Rumor has it that there's more to him than meets the eye, however; some claim to have seen him driving off evil spirits, while others whisper that he is a Taoist sorcerer. When questioned, Old Wei just laughs and shakes his head, maintaining his air of mystery. Recently he's taken on Hui-Ling as a student in alchemy (and, secretly, exorcism), and the two of them make quite an unusual pair.

Song Jing-Yu, "Silent Jade"
Background:
By the tender age of 13, the orphaned Jing-Yu was an accomplished thief on the streets of Handan, living an impoverished but carefree and independent life. It may seem surprising, then, that she caught the attention of someone besides constables and angry merchants. After all, who else would take notice of yet another street urchin plying her trade? None but the Black Shell, a secret government agency dedicated to fighting the destructive Sect of Leaning Heaven. Seeing the potential in Jing-Yu, they abducted her (as is their wont) and gave her a choice: She could join them in their struggle against supernatural evil or, if that weren’t agreeable, she could die. Naturally, she chose the former option, and has proven herself a valuable member of the organization, primarily acting as a spy or courier.
Mike Olson
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

That was a great game! I really like the system. Thanks to Devlin for running and Skyman for hosting.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Yeah, I had a good time -- and it didn't go on forever, which was possibly a first for me. Thanks to Simon for hosting, and thanks to all of you guys for having patience with me as I fumbled through a new set of rules.
Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

That was teh FUN! Reminds me much of feng shui but I like the back drop better. Pretty deadly system. The James Lipton GMing was classic...if not MAgnificent
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Sorry I couldn't make it. I'm bummed that I had to miss out. I was looking forward to this game. :cry:
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Yeah, good times were had. I like that the system is fairly elegant, but still provides for a lot of 'critical this or that' and 'special roll' circumstances.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]Sorry I couldn't make it. I'm bummed that I had to miss out. I was looking forward to this game. :cry:[/quote]
You [i]did[/i] miss out, you sickly loser. I was looking forward to having six players for six characters!

Seriously though, it's too bad you couldn't make it, but I plan to run Qin at OrcCon, too. In fact, I just registered it.

Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="cczernia"] I'm bummed that I had to miss out. I was looking forward to this game. :cry:[/quote]
Yeah you would have enjoyed Sam and Albert fighting over your character... and almost killing each other killing each other in the process

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Yeah, good times were had. I like that the system is fairly elegant, but still provides for a lot of 'critical this or that' and 'special roll' circumstances.[/quote]
The criticals were really cool about the dice rolls...mostly when you get chi back for doubles

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

bravo. that was very cool. i like the dice mechanic, chi, and the setting flavor. but yeah, way deadly. thanks for doing it, dev, and for hosting, skyman.