Warhammer fantasy: Chains that bind

An assortment of game systems and genres. One night only.
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Warhammer fantasy: Chains that bind

Post by Uber_snotling »

"May I repeat your wishes back to you, Mother-Priestess, to better understand your goals?"

"Please do, Albrecht."

"The rebel leader who has named himself 'King Cheith' is raiding the merchants' caravans on the trade routes with the other cities of Burushanda. He is attracting a large number of human followers because of some propaganda involving a forged document from The Saint giving him reign over the human lands. Expeditions of the elven army to crush his band have been unable to catch him because of his group's knowledge of the terrain and mobility. And now you have devised a plan that requires my service. I am to lead a diplomatic mission to King Cheith under the false guise of joining his rebel group. And I am to lead the group you have assembled here?"

At this point Albrecht's arm motioned at the rag-tag group that had been marched in the door in leg-irons moments before. The smell coming from the group was like a refuse heap mixed with vomit, although Albrecht surmised that it predominantly arose from the rat-catcher.

"Yes, Albrecht. The mother-goddess has inspired me to assemble this group to infiltrate the rebel camp. While force has failed, King Cheith will certainly parlay with a group of humans aiming to join him. Please size up the man, his followers, and any important advisors and report back to me."

"As you wish, Mother-Priestess."

"As for the rest of your group, they may not have shown up willingly, but they will not desert you ." The Elven Mother-Priestess bowed her head and murmured some words under her breath before pointing at the group in leg-irons. A brief glow of purple and blue dancing lights illuminated them for a few seconds and then faded to nothingness. "I have placed the mark of the Mother-Goddess upon them. They will aid you in this mission, or they will be hunted down like dogs."

Warhammer Fantasy: Chains that bind is a one-shot adventure for 4-6 players about a group of humans that have been press-ganged by the local elven authorities and sent on a dangerous diplomatic mission. The game will be run sometime in the next six weeks. If you are interested in playing, please post below.

Note that this one-shot adventure is also serving as a recruiting advertisement for a Warhammer campaign I hope to start this fall.
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

System: Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play 2nd edition
Description: Warhammer presents players with a "grim world of perilous adventure" in a quasi-medieval European milieu. The setting and rules focus on the grittier aspects of medieval society, which could be described as low fantasy. Warhammer is a less crunchy system than D20, and should not present much of a learning curve for experienced role-players. Of note, the one-shot will be focused on role-playing rather than dungeon-diving. That being said, players are promised their fair share of peril…

No experience with the Fantasy Warhammer game system is necessary, but some experience with table-top role-playing games is preferable (and assumed for anyone who reads this message board). The game master is experienced with a number of game systems, enjoys a good descriptive adventure with moral dilemmas, and has a hot, hot ass. Consider yourself warned.
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

[ATTACH]119[/ATTACH]
Albrecht Untertod - Human Herald of the Mother Priestess of Chilpiter

Albrecht is an ambitious and loyal servant of the elven overlords of Chilpiter. He has recently moved into the position of Herald for the ruler of the city due to his excellent work and initiative. Albrecht hopes to parlay his position with the elven overlords into a position as a politician on the grand council of Burushanda. His ability to deal with the mini-crises that plague the elven-run city of Chilpiter have moved him much closer to his goal of political power.

[ATTACH]120[/ATTACH]
Gustav the Cursed

Gustav's wife and baby son were found murdered recently. He claims that the murders were perpetrated by chaos cultists, although the local authorities have not finished their investigation. Since the murders, he has been a street preacher proclaiming the corruption infecting Chilpiter. His friends think the death of his family has broken him. Prior to the death of his family, he worked as a barber-surgeon.

[ATTACH]121[/ATTACH]
Klara Mittenbrot

Klara's parents both died of the plague when she was just entering her adolescence. She quickly ended up a camp-follower near the local militia barracks in the employ of the halfling criminal syndicate. Her frequent run-ins with the authorities and rough life have left her multiple psychological afflictions.

[ATTACH]122[/ATTACH]
Rolf the Rat-Catcher

Rolf is a friendly enough fellow carrying his rats around on a string or a stick to show his wares. He is a new resident in Chilpiter, moving to the city from a tiny hinterdorfen. He has been seen trolling around the sewers and tunnels of Chilpiter when he isn't plying his trade in the bars and shops above. His trusty dog Helmut is never away from his side for long.

[ATTACH]123[/ATTACH]
Dieter "Dirty Dog"

Dieter is also in the employ of the halfling crime syndicate. He works in the "protection" business, extracting fees from shop owners. Dieter has been known to break a few knees in his time, as his halfling employers prefer damaging people's legs. However, Dieter's favorite form of punishment is known as the "dirty dog", which usually involves a mess and rubbing someone's nose in it. Shopkeepers that go to the authorities usually end up recanting in the next few days or mysteriously dying. Dieter enjoys his work.
Attachments
valkilmer.jpg
valkilmer.jpg (44.82 KiB) Viewed 31210 times
rat catcher and his dog.jpg
rat catcher and his dog.jpg (42.57 KiB) Viewed 31217 times
Helena-Bonham-Carter.jpg
Helena-Bonham-Carter.jpg (26.42 KiB) Viewed 31212 times
brother-salvatore.jpg
brother-salvatore.jpg (20.23 KiB) Viewed 31215 times
othello1.jpg
othello1.jpg (6.15 KiB) Viewed 31212 times
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

me. i'm interested.
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

I'd be interested in some gritty fantasy. Can the rat catcher talk to rats? Even if they don't talk back and everyone thinks he's crazy?

Otherwise, Gutav looks pretty intriguing.
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

As in all Warhammer games, there will be fierce competition over who gets to play the rat-catcher.

If you can snatch up Rolf, rat-chatting can go hand-in-hand with rat-catching.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Sounds cool...Dieter
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I am interested. I like Gustav or Albrect
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm very interested, but my schedule is sorta crazy right now. Don't hold up on my account, but I'll keep an eye on the date to see if I can make it.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I don't see a date -- when is it? Because if it isn't mid-week, then... y'know... I'd want to get in on it.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Let me reiterate. I'm interested. I want Dieter. I'm going to dirty sanchez ya doggy style
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]I'm going to dirty sanchez ya doggy style[/quote]
I don't want to play anymore.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I'm interested if one of the other can't make it.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

:wink:
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

1. I'm in the midst of looking to move because of neutral evil landlords right now, so I am not even going to throw out tentative dates. It is going to happen before the middle of September.

2. I wasn't anticipating having 7 people sign up in one day, but I'm happy to have a problem of too many rather than not enough. I'm counting the following people as interested right now:
jimmycorrigan
mrlost
count zero
skyman
mordraine (hectic schedule)
devlin1 (depending on availability of dirty sanchezing and play date)
cczernia

3. If there are additional people interested, I would certainly consider running this a second time with a different group. So if you are interested, please post your name and we'll see if there is enough interest.

Marek the Liar

Marek calls himself an entertainer, although his "entertainment" tends to agitate the elven authorities to no end. He usually stands on street-corners impersonating elven priestesses or soldiers. He is an active participant in multiple groups dedicated to inciting revolution against the elven overlords, and has been thrown in jail a few times because of it. His short stints in jail have only increased his revolutionary fervor.
Attachments
xena_king.jpg
xena_king.jpg (26.7 KiB) Viewed 31184 times
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

I just ran a play-test of this game in the Bay Area (510 represent) with my old gaming group. I had a good time and am very interested in seeing how a bunch of gaming professionals (i.e., you guys) deals with the same scenario.

In other news, I should be moved this weekend and anticipate scheduling a date for this puppy in the near future. As such, I was wondering if we could narrow down whether this thing is going to happen on a weekday or weekend. Please state your preferences, if any.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Monday, Thursday are real bad.
Friday and Sunday are kinda bad (every other week game)

Every other day should be fine.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm out of town Tuesday through Thursday most of the time (for work). It can be scheduled for Friday or Sunday so long as it is not on the every-other-week schedule that cczernia mentioned (cuz I'm in the same groups as he is). Saturday nights would most likely work for me.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

mondays, thursdays and weekends (depending on which weekend-- i'm in the same alternating sunday game as cczernia and mordraine) are good for me.
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

I'm tentatively proposing Saturday, September 15 around 1 PM. The game will be over by 6 PM.

Can I get everyone who noted interest to chime in on whether or not this works?
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

That should work for me. I will double check though.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Works for me.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

yep.
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Okay dokey
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

These fellows have signaled they are ok with 9/15 at 1 PM
jimmy corrigan
mrlost
cczernia
count zero

These fellows have not responded
mordraine
devlin1
skyman

Unless I hear a no from all three of the nonresponders by next Tuesday, 9/15 is a go.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm waiting on a scheduling answer to another game I'm in. If it runs on Sunday, then I'm on for your game, but if it runs on Saturday then I'm out for your game. Still waiting on the answer for that.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I'm kinda waiting as well for a scheduling issue to clarify
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Me, I just have no idea what I'll be doing that weekend. I have a feeling that, since Jill will be out of town the weekend before, I'm likely to be unavailable, but we'll see. The thing is, I just plan, like, absolutely nothing in advance.
Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

sonuvabitch, i've just been invited to a friend's birthday party on the 15th! i will reluctantly have to bow out. my apologies, uber_snotling. i was really looking forward to this. *grumblemumble*
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

Three days to go.

Any updates from the fence-sitters on their status?
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

It's probably safe to say I'm out. This weekend will probably be occupied by unpacking and furniture shopping (and hopefully a sofa delivery...), leaving me little time for a grim world of perilous adventure.

Watch out for that warp-stone, everybody.
Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I'm good
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Looks like I'm in, actually. YAY!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I have to bow out on this.. sorry.. I have to do a bunch of yard work this weekend.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

to skyman, mordraine, cczernia, and mrlost: i just wanted to say that i hate you all. this is one-shot numero two that i'll be missing out on. drat and double drat.
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

Private messages coming shortly with the address.

See you Saturday at 1 PM.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Mord do you want to car pool?...it sounds like parking is gonna be...how shall I say...interesting
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

The absence of a reply indicates a 'no' I take it...see ya guys there
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Actually, I just never got the chance to reply. Skyman, PM on the way.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Good game and system. Reminds me of MERP when it came to the criticals and was not that crunchy
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

thanks for letting me sit in last minute, uber_snotling. it was a neat adventure. i trust the rest of you were able to get the jump on cheith after my departure.

it was also good meeting you, scolopendra.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]thanks for letting me sit in last minute, uber_snotling. it was a neat adventure. i trust the rest of you were able to get the jump on cheith after my departure.

it was also good meeting you, scolopendra.[/quote]

No we beat the tar out of the General...literally and then i dirty san...dirty dogged him

Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

Thanks for indulging me in my Warhammer fetish, everyone. It's been far too long since I've gotten to read off the critical hit charts, which bring joy to my heart.

Thanks for coming by Jimmy. It was good having you there.

Cczernia, I hope your car is ok. Marek was in good hands with mrlost running him away at the first sign of trouble.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Damn. Count me in for next time. I loves me some charts and tables.
Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Uber_snotling"]
Cczernia, I hope your car is ok. Marek was in good hands with mrlost running him away at the first sign of trouble.[/quote]

Totally bummed that I had to leave early. Had a lot of fun playing Marek. You guys have to let me know how it ended.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Uber_snotling"]Thanks for indulging me in my Warhammer fetish, everyone. It's been far too long since I've gotten to read off the critical hit charts, which bring joy to my heart.
[/quote]

The game reminded me of MERP when it came to the chart thingy. I always thought that was cool
[quote="cczernia"] Had a lot of fun playing Marek. You guys have to let me know how it ended.[/quote]
Marek helped convince some of the guards to attack the General. He stabbed and killed Albrecht in the end during a mutant lynching

He joins the rebellion...Good Times

Dieter got use his fate point:neutral:

Hope everything was ok with car. I know it was really distracting but you did great job jumping into Marek. BTW Tennis is going well...my wife wants me to hit you up and play sometimes. I still think we need to practice more and such before that happens

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Skyman"]
Hope everything was ok with car. I know it was really distracting but you did great job jumping into Marek. BTW Tennis is going well...my wife wants me to hit you up and play sometimes. I still think we need to practice more and such before that happens[/quote]

I can always get into the clown :twisted: Let me know when you guys went to play a little tennis and I'll see you on the court.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

Brief Recap of adventure:

Intrepid band of press-ganged scum and criminals are enlisted to go infiltrate a rebel human camp by the local elven priestess. Her herald, Albrecht, is put in charge. The merry band of ne'er do wells has some difficulties leaving town, but eventually get moving. They are passed by a halfling courier named Ginger Beans who they eventually catch up to during a fight with some mutant humans. Dieter and Gustav quickly dispatch the first two mutants before heading into the woods to follow a trail of pony blood. The horrifying pus-weeping, bone-exposed, scabrous mutant feeding on pony entrails sends Gustav, Dieter, Marek, and Klara running in fear. Albrecht and Rolf stand their ground, and together they surprisingly manage to force the horrifying mutant-man to surrender. Albrecht lets the thing go. The group finds a box of really nice halfling cigars on the dead Ginger Beans, wrap her up, and bring her along, sans finger and toenails.

After a day of travel, the group encounters the rebel encampment. They meet General Sidel Disastro, who takes them to meet King Cheith and Magistrate Alphonse Nitpicker. The groups parlay, with Albrecht and Marek doing most of the talking. Rolf is booted from the tent due to his odor. Eventually the cigars come up, and it turns out that they were intended for King Cheith, but his recent shipments have been poisoned with mutagenic warpdust. Albrecht claims the cigars are his own, and Alphonse confirms they are warpdust free. King Cheith agrees to let the group join his encampment if they prove they are loyal by bringing him the head of Fat Sam, the halfling mobster who supplies his cigars. Dieter doesn't like this idea and picks a fight with General Disastro, who he promptly suplexes on top of two other guards before Cheith pulls his pistolas and Dieter surrenders. Disastro and the guards beat him thoroughly, and send the group out of camp to kill Fat Sam.

The group heads back to town, where they meet with their various contacts. Dieter and Klara report to their halfling supervisors. Within an hour the group is summoned to meet with Fat Sam. In their meeting, Fat Sam assures them that he wouldn't waste warpdust on humans, as he needs it for the elves who pay good money, and humans just end up as non-customer mutants. The group believes him, and hatch a plan that requires two boxes of cigars. Rolf acquires a head and Klara puts it on a spear.

The group then head back to the campsite where they hand Disastro a cheapie box of cigars. Upon being escorted back into the camp, they catch Disastro having poisoned the cheapie cigars with warpdust, and produce the good cigars that are clean. Disastro and three guards decide to attack and a melee ensues. Marek brings the tent down and runs away, and the others fight. Disastro takes down Albrecht, and almost takes down Dieter. The fight continues with the remaining guards not taking sides until Albrecht and Marek give stirring speeches in favor of King Cheith. At that point, the tide has turned and Disastro goes down.

Rolf, meanwhile, had meandered off to a nearby camp of mutants and was hanging out.

King Cheith and company are informed about the mutants working for Disastro, and his remaining loyal soldiers went out and slaughtered the nearby mutants, with Rolf making a quick escape prior to the slaughter. King Cheith offers the folks a place at his side in his revolution against the elven oppressors.

The End.

Epilogue. The mark of the Elven Priestess that provided easy tracking was never resolved. Individual group members may have taken up King Cheith on his offer, while others returned to their previous employment.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Uber_snotling"]Marek brings the tent down and runs away, and the others fight.[/quote]

Good to hear. :mrgreen:

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="Uber_snotling"]Disastro takes down Albrecht...[/quote]
fah! highly dubious. this will not stand!