Spirit of the West

An assortment of game systems and genres. One night only.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Spirit of the West

Post by devlin1 »

Is anyone interested in a Western one-shot this Friday?

Prompted by a little Boot Hill one-shot Mord ran for Albert and me last week, I've been working on a Western version of Spirit of the Century, which we'll tentatively refer to as Spirit of the West. I'd like to playtest it with a small group. As it happens, I'll be in San Diego this Friday evening, so it seems like a golden opportunity to make use of you people.

Mord and I ran a couple quick gunfights with it tonight, and it worked well enough, but it still needs a more extensive playtest to test out non-gunfight things. I don't know when on Friday, nor do I yet know where; that comes later.

Any takers?
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

me.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

*raises hand*
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Fuck
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]Fuck[/quote]
a. Yes!

b. No!

c. You!

d. B and C

e. None of the above.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

b...
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]b...[/quote]
So is that "Fuck no, I wouldn't play in your shitty one-shot!" or "No, I can't make it, and I'm so upset about that that I'm using profanity"?

Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

More like

Fuck it's on Friday! Shit my life sucks. Uh oh co-worker is about to walk in...click post...come on refresh dammit!...Hey how ya doing. Oh go ask her I told her everything about the diagnosis and what's going on. Oh and tell her there is a substance abuse issues up the yazoo. She'll love that....cool....*she leaves*...hey all it says is FUCK. WTF?! Well I guess that about sums it up.

ummm...no but I could have been more clear with my deep desire to do this because it would roxxor
Drew
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Drew »

[quote="Skyman"]More like

Fuck it's on Friday! Shit my life sucks. Uh oh co-worker is about to walk in...click post...come on refresh dammit!...Hey how ya doing. Oh go ask her I told her everything about the diagnosis and what's going on. Oh and tell her there is a substance abuse issues up the yazoo. She'll love that....cool....*she leaves*...hey all it says is FUCK. WTF?! Well I guess that about sums it up.

ummm...no but I could have been more clear with my deep desire to do this because it would roxxor[/quote]

You don't need a game... you need a vacation! :)

In an infinite universe anything is not only possible, it's inevitable.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]me.[/quote]

[quote="mordraine"]*raises hand*[/quote]
Yeah, I kinda figured. It's like that scene in "Return of the Jedi" when they're talking about going down to Endor, and Han says, "My strike team's ready, but I don't have a command crew" (or words to that effect), and Chewie volunteers with a roar, and it's like, well, yeah, no shit Chewie volunteered.

I think Brian Lee, who joined us for last year's Hyphen-Con '06, may join in as well. I dunno. He seemed intrigued.

Mike Olson
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I would like to play, I have been wanting to try out the system.

I could probably offer my place for the game.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Drew"]You don't need a game... you need a vacation! :)[/quote]

Amen brother

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Count Zero"]I would like to play, I have been wanting to try out the system.

I could probably offer my place for the game.[/quote]

Cool. I will take you up on the hosting thing, too, if you're able to do it. Where do you live again?

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

BTW, as far as characters are concerned, I was thinking of making some pregens but only as far as the first three phases. That is, I'll come up with a childhood/early life phase, a war/conflict phase, and a first-starring-role phase, then leave the two guest-star phases up to the players.

This may not make any sense if you aren't familiar with the system. Suffice it to say, it splits the difference between pregen and getting to make your own character. You'll have a framework to go off of, and then you'll finish it off. I just think it'll take too long if we do full-on character generation along with trying to do a one-shot in a single night.

Anyway. Thoughts on that?
Mike Olson
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="devlin1"]Cool. I will take you up on the hosting thing, too, if you're able to do it. Where do you live again?[/quote]

Michelle said she doesn't mind if we play at the house, everything is good. I get off work at 6:30 and it takes me about 15 minutes to get home.

My address is:

A BIG SECRET

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

yeah, i agree. it'll cut down on actual play time this way, but still give us a taste of how chargen works. good compromise, dav.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]yeah, i agree. it'll cut down on actual play time this way, but still give us a taste of how chargen works. good compromise, dav.[/quote]
Thenks.

Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

your walcome.

oops! i meant you're walcome.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

looking forward to tonight. see you all at 6:45.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

If there is anything specific you want to drink, I would recommend bringing it. We only have diet stuff in the house.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Thanks for the game, guys -- hope everyone had fun. Sorry it went so late, but... that's just the way things go when I run one-shots, apparently. I'm really interested (for some reason) in getting this SotW thing in decent working order, so there may be more playtesting in the future.

Thanks especially to Jonathan (and, by extension, Michelle) for hosting.
Mike Olson
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="devlin1"]Thanks especially to Jonathan (and, by extension, Michelle) for hosting.[/quote]

No problem, thanks for running.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

that was a hoot. i had a lot of fun! thanks for running, devlin1. and as always, thanks for hosting, count zero.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Damn, I'm such a slacker when it comes to reading posts in a timely manner.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Damn, I'm such a slacker when it comes to reading posts in a timely manner.[/quote]
You had all week!

Well, it was a good time. You would've liked it. Probably. But like I said, I might want to do another one sometime to try out other parts of the conversion.

Mike Olson