One Shots

An assortment of game systems and genres. One night only.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I was wondering if anyone will be prepared to run a one shot this Thursday. I know SM wants to hold on A/state because Mordraine had an interest in playing.

Gotetsu - will L5R be ready??
BP - can you bring Munchkin d20

Also, I was wondering how people would feel about moving the One Shot to Tuesdays every other week to allow people who have difficulty playing on Thursday a better chance to play.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="cczernia"]I was wondering if anyone will be prepared to run a one shot this Thursday. I know SM wants to hold on A/state because Mordraine had an interest in playing.

Gotetsu - will L5R be ready??

BP - can you bring Munchkin d20

Also, I was wondering how people would feel about moving the One Shot to Tuesdays every other week to allow people who have difficulty playing on Thursday a better chance to play.[/quote]

Might be best to talk with Mordraine about days since he obviously holds most of the one shots at his house. I know this is a discussion we already have had but we seem to have a lot of games. Maybe we can do both days?

BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

Well, I'm trying to sneak the start of my Star Wars game in here somewhere...and trying to pick a day which doesn't stomp on anyone else's day...

I'm normally open for Wednesdays, but this week makes Wednesday probably not so good, so I'm going to run (this one time) on Thursday.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Well, word has it that Lowly's Conan game is on for this Thursday at GE (correct me if I'm wrong, Lowly).

My L5R game COULD be ready this week, but no guarantees. I would rather give it at least another week (I still need to stat out the characters, as well as refamiliarize myself with the system a bit).

I'd be up for Tuesdays if that was the concensus. I'll just keep myself as flexible as possible, considering I like to pick and choose my one-shots (for example, no offense SM, but A/State doesn't interest me).
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Gotetsu"]Well, word has it that Lowly's Conan game is on for this Thursday at GE (correct me if I'm wrong, Lowly).

My L5R game COULD be ready this week, but no guarantees. I would rather give it at least another week (I still need to stat out the characters, as well as refamiliarize myself with the system a bit).

I'd be up for Tuesdays if that was the concensus. I'll just keep myself as flexible as possible, considering I like to pick and choose my one-shots (for example, no offense SM, but A/State doesn't interest me).[/quote]

Lowly and I alternate, since he's also in my SW d20 game :) We're just trying to figure out who's turn we want it to be.

smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

A/State is gonna have to wait for next week. I'm busy as fuck-all.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

[quote="&quot"]Well, word has it that Lowly's Conan game is on for this Thursday at GE (correct me if I'm wrong, Lowly).

[quote]

Due to the way the Champions group is set up I will step aside for BoC's SW game if he wants to run it, waiting on his decision.
Conversely, Slayer never did any concerts with Christian rockers, Stryper.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I'm not sure I could do Tuesday's. At least, not at the moment, but really, my schedule is really wierd at the moment.

As for tomorrow, you betcha I'll bring Munchkin D20. :)

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Ok, so, just to clarify, what is the game for tomorrow? I could actually do L5R if everyone wants to.

Also, Lowly Uhlan and/or BoC, is either the Conan or Star Wars game happening tomorrow night? If so, belay the previous paragraph about L5R. :D

Edit: Wait a sec! I promised Foxbat he could be in on the L5R game. And since he is out of town this week, I have to completely retract that statement. :shock:

Yeah, so...I'm a retard. Smartmonkey must be controlling my brain. :nono:
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BreakfastOfChampions

Star Wars is happening tomorrow night. It seems like most folks will have their characters done enough for us to play.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]Star Wars is happening tomorrow night. It seems like most folks will have their characters done enough for us to play.[/quote]

'Cept me! :shock:

What kind of character should I do (Ie, what do we already have, and what concepts would work well)? I can at least come up with a concept, and then fill in the details later. I don't know anything about the KotoR setting, but I can wing it. Maybe I can be someone else's Padawan... :)

BreakfastOfChampions

If you can see the Champions forum, then you can get some guidelines there. If not, I can repost them here.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I can't. :(

Edit: I submitted a request to join the Champions group. So, hold off on reposting everything.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, so I guess the question for those of us NOT in the Champions group is: is anyone going to be there tomorrow for the one shot?

Chris
BreakfastOfChampions

Stats are built on 40 points. Padewan can be up to 4th level. Jedi Knights can be up to 7th level

In a nutshell, timeline is a bout 20K years before The Battle of Yavin. The known galaxy is expanding rapidly, but is a much smaller place in the time of ANH.

The Jedi Council exists, but there are more force traditions than you can shake a stick at, with the principal seat of authority being the individual Academy. The Council is a loose association of Jedi Orders, which can make some mandates to a particular Academy, but is in many instances ignored or outright denied authority.

The selection of Padewan is as much a political process as it is concocting a mix which provides the most understanding of the Force. Only the most rigorous Jedi traditions adhere to the one master/one padewan rule, which is what the Jedi Council openly supports. Other orders, even Jedi orders, have masters with two or more padewan. Only the most extreme orders have padewan without a master, and many padewan have a master in name only, since this is so deeply frowned upon by the Council. The Council has precious few resources to enforce its mandate, however.

Only a Jedi Master of the Council can grant the title of Jedi Knight and all the benefits that go with it. Those who do not pass the trials of the Jedi are free to consider other professions within the Agri or Medcorps, or to continue to try again.

A Jedi Academy struggles between its desire to grow, its selection of successful students, and its dedication to the order. The Republic, being very young, does not support all these academies, and is intrusive to those that it does support, so Force traditions have to support their own academies. Needless to say, this model produces a mixed bag of traditions, supported by planetary governments, a budding corporate sector, and many scrambling for the distinction of being sanctioned by a Republic with deep pockets and stern oversight.

Similarly, to get the best instruction, padewan can be very aggressive in the search for a master. Candidates are rigorously tested, and in competiton with their counterparts for the additional training and presitge that comes with a master. Those who cannot find a master become part of the small Jedi Agricorps or MedCorps. They also might serve a Jedi Academy in other ways. In any event, they foreswear the lightsaber for the rest of their lives, with the understanding to take up the lightsaber again is to become an outlaw.
Infernus
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Infernus »

Well, I was planning to be there tomorrow for the one shot...assuming we have a game to play...and people to play it....
Its never too early to be a bastard!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Infernus"]Well, I was planning to be there tomorrow for the one shot...assuming we have a game to play...and people to play it....[/quote]

I'll be there with Munchkin D20, assuming anyone else is around to play it.

Maybe moving game nights isn't such abad idea.

Chris

BreakfastOfChampions

After this week, the Star Wars/Conan games will be moving to their regularly scheduled Wednesday. I'm the lamer who needed to switch days :)

But I'm sure you already know that choosing Thursday in the first place makes it your fault (please see corresponding game)
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]
I'll be there with Munchkin D20, assuming anyone else is around to play it.

Maybe moving game nights isn't such abad idea.[/quote]

Can't make it. Star Wars got put on the same day and you wouldn't beleive the threats BoC gave me if I didn't show up to the game.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I can be there tomorrow. I'd also be okay for tuesdays, anything but weekends for me actually.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Ok, seems like there are a lot of people interested in doing a Tuesday one shot. I was wondering if someone is interested in doing one this Tuesday?
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="cczernia"]Ok, seems like there are a lot of people interested in doing a Tuesday one shot. I was wondering if someone is interested in doing one this Tuesday?[/quote]

Me.... I have Tuesday off.

Jonathan

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Are we playing tonight?
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I can't make it tonight. I'm not even sure I could make it Tuesday's regularly. I'd much prefer keeping it at Thursday's for now, as that's a day I know I can make.

Chris
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I wonder if folks are actually playing..because it don't sound like it
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Skyman"]I wonder if folks are actually playing..because it don't sound like it[/quote]

Nope, no game tonight :( No one had anything to run. Might try and put something together once I get settled.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="cczernia"][quote:823a1ec2b5="Skyman"]I wonder if folks are actually playing..because it don't sound like it[/quote]

Nope, no game tonight :( No one had anything to run. Might try and put something together once I get settled.[/quote:823a1ec2b5]

I guess I should get working on the Dark Ages CoC Idea. It would be nice if we could have a calendar of what the games were and the day.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Maybe we should have a 1 shot forum in the games section so we can plan ahead.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

That sounds like a good plan...

I have been debating what I want to run as a one-shot... the games I am reading right now are Agone and Talislanta, but I have the urge to run Jadeclaw also.

Jonathan
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="Cthulhu"]Maybe we should have a 1 shot forum in the games section so we can plan ahead.[/quote]

Good idea.

"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

So, who all, if anyone, is going to make it tonight?

Chris
Infernus
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Infernus »

Ill be there.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Anyone else?

Chris
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'll be there.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Well, you guys missed out on a great game last night! We played an epic adventure, where Cthulhu, Infernus and I journeyed through the underground caverns of the distant and strange planet of New Hong Kong! There, my Dwarven Ninja, Infernus' Bug Warrior and Cthulhu's Human Space Ranger (also a master of Turtle Kung Fu) took on such monsters as the Computerized Gazebo, which poor Cthulhu had to face alone; Jogilia, a giant lizard that, in the course of his morning jog, trampled all over downtown Neo Tokyo before I was able to stop him; and let us not forget Infernus' epic battle agains the ancient Space Mummy, his mate AND his stunt double! In the end, Infurnus boldly lead Cthulhu and I to save New Hong Kong, and much fun was had by all.

Chris
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Ok, so is there a one-shot slated for this week? If so, what night? And what game?
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Ok, so is there a one-shot slated for this week? If so, what night? And what game?[/quote]

No one has claimed anything for this week. Did you want to do L5R???

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Which night? Cuz I'm involved on Thursday. And Wednesday MIGHT be doable, but the question would be "Where?"

Ack! So much game, so little time. :roll:
BreakfastOfChampions

Wednesday is Star Wars, right?
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]Wednesday is Star Wars, right?[/quote]

YES!!! :D

Actually, on the site it doesn't say. Just Conan on Thursday...

Infernus
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Infernus »

Cant speak for anyone else, but I know I signed on for a regular Thursday group for this. Ive got a separate game on Wednesdays, and cant do Tuesdays. Do we have a game available for this thursday? Do we even have a group for thursday games anymore or did it become the Conan group? If we are playing this thursday, are we doing it at Mordraine's or at GE?
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Infernus"]Cant speak for anyone else, but I know I signed on for a regular Thursday group for this. Ive got a separate game on Wednesdays, and cant do Tuesdays. Do we have a game available for this thursday? Do we even have a group for thursday games anymore or did it become the Conan group? If we are playing this thursday, are we doing it at Mordraine's or at GE?[/quote]

The One Shot group was never meant as a steady group but an open group which everyone could participate in. Theoretically it could happen any night. Having it one specific night is nice because it helps scheduling. This is why I suggested having a Tuesday One Shot group.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Well, since one of the few people to commit to L5R is out of town this week (I think...are you here Blanch?), I would like to do L5R next week, on Thursday.

Mordraine, I have an opening, and it's for the leader. Would you like to join (that way I can have it at your pad)? :D
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Yes, I'm here. I was only gone yesterday (went to Texas over the weekend). I'm not so sure I'll be available this week, though. I've got to check to see what all is going on this week, I'll know more tomorrow.

Chris
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Are we playing tonight?
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I'm not going to be there, and I think Skyman said he couldn't make it either.

Chris
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Are we doing any one-shots this week?
Infernus
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Infernus »

Im guessing from lack of replies that there is not gonna be one today, unless Blanchprez wants to start his Hackmaster already.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I don't actually have my Hackmaster books with me, so not tonight. I'm hoping more people will show intereset (really, there needs to be at least 4 people in the party). But, I'll show up tonight, if for no other reason than a good game of Munchkin. :)

Chris
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I can be there tonight for munchkin. :D