One Night In Sanctuary

An assortment of game systems and genres. One night only.
Barrier Peaks

One Night In Sanctuary

Post by Barrier Peaks »

As some of you know, I'm running my Thieves' World scenario for Green Ronin at Gen Con this August. I'd like to get a group of folks together so that I can get reacquainted with my adventure, get some feedback, and maybe have a good time gaming while I introduce folks to the setting.

So, I'm aiming for July 29th, with a relatively early time slot (say starting between 11am and 1pm). As far as venue, I live in Vista, and I recognize that I may need to travel a little ways in order to get this thing going. That's fine. A neutral location (ie, a coffee shop, a game store, etc) would probably be best, but not knowing what my options are outside of my limited travel area, I'm willing to entertain suggestions.

The game runs no longer than four hours, and requires six players. The system is d20 using additional and modified rules from the Thieves' World campaign setting. Pre-generated player characters will be provided. All ages are welcome, but the game is geared towards a more mature audience.

So far, Mordraine is my only volunteer. I'll need to take players on a first come, first served basis. It looks like all three games are filled up at Indy this year, so a full table would be good practice.

The blurb from the convention program this year reads as follows:

"The Kingdom of Ilsig has hired you to track down a renegade spy before he can sell his knowledge to the highest bidder. Sounds easy enough, but there's a catch: he has taken refuge in Sanctuary, the infamous Thieves' World, and you have only one night to retrieve him. Can you keep his dark secrets from falling into the wrong hands? Find out in this exciting adventure designed by Thieves' World Player's Manual co-author Gary Astleford."

So, you interested? Let me know. Then we can discuss venue.

Thanks!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Man, I'm so totally up for this! I'm currently reading Enemies of Fortune, and enjoying the hell out of it.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

One night in Sanctuary, and the world's your oyster. Etc.

Wish I could make this, but I can't.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

My brain is fried...but this sounds cool. I'm down for it...unless reality tells me otherwise
jerry

Post by jerry »

That time frame sounds good to me, too, and it sounds interesting.

I've played lots of AD&D and AD&D2, but not D&D3 or d20, if that makes a difference to your playtesting needs.
Barrier Peaks

Post by Barrier Peaks »

Excellent. Three down, three to go. Sorry you won't be able to make it, [b]devlin[/b]. Let us know if your schedule clears up.

[quote="jerry"]That time frame sounds good to me, too, and it sounds interesting.

I've played lots of AD&D and AD&D2, but not D&D3 or d20, if that makes a difference to your playtesting needs.[/quote]

Familiarity with D&D 3+ isn't a requirement. I don't expect all of the players to be well-versed in the current rules. Rules, while important, are also secondary to story. So no worries.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Barrier Peaks"]Sorry you won't be able to make it, [b]devlin[/b]. Let us know if your schedule clears up.[/quote]
Barring a tectonic drift that brings England alongside California for two months this summer, I'll have to count me out.

(Non-smartass translation: I'm going to be in England this summer, where my gaming options will probably be limited to Warhammer and Football Hooligan 3.5.)

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"](Non-smartass translation: I'm going to be in England this summer, where my gaming options will probably be limited to Warhammer and Football Hooligan 3.5.)[/quote]

You'd be surprised. There are lots of gamers across the pond.

Heck, go over to RPGnet and post a "where's the best FLGS in the London area" thread and you'll find out.

Also, Mongoose is over there. Make sure you pop by their offices!

[quote="jerry"]That time frame sounds good to me, too, and it sounds interesting.

I've played lots of AD&D and AD&D2, but not D&D3 or d20, if that makes a difference to your playtesting needs.[/quote]

Hey welcome to the boards jerry! I see that was your first post. Hope you find our forums to your liking and you hang around for a while.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I'm interested and should be free that day.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
belkregos
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by belkregos »

I’ve been interested in thieves world for a while but haven’t had a chance to take a good look at the setting, this looks like a perfect opportunity
Count me in,
I’ll try to make it but if something comes up I’ll be sure to let you know
Men are like rivers whose surface is apparent but beginnings are unknown....
Azerack
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Azerack »

Wow.. never played the game, but liked the Thieves World books up to vol. 8 (right before the whole Storm twins thing got going and after that it was downhill for me.. Too much soap opera-ish drama, then.. :confused: ).

I'd offer to host, but if you need a proper table and chairs for the event, my apartment wouldn't work (unless you don't mind a couch, random chairs and a large coffee table).

If you don't mind, however, not only count me in, but pm me for my address so you can see where, exactly I live.

Az.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="devlin1"]Barring a tectonic drift that brings England alongside California for two months this summer, I'll have to count me out.

(Non-smartass translation: I'm going to be in England this summer, where my gaming options will probably be limited to Warhammer and Football Hooligan 3.5.)[/quote]

Devlin here are some rpg cons held in the UK during that time:

[SIZE="4"]Summer Stabcon [/SIZE]2006: 30th June-2nd July

Britannia Hotel, Stockport

Can't find a web site. Only contact info given is [email]bookings@stabcon.org.uk[/email]

Also there is

[url]http://www.continuum.uk.net/[/url]

BTW here in San Diego there is a Scifi con of sorts:

[url]http://www.conzilla.info/[/url]

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"][size=134]Summer Stabcon [/size]2006: 30th June-2nd July

Britannia Hotel, Stockport

Can't find a web site. Only contact info given is [email="bookings@stabcon.org.uk"]bookings@stabcon.org.uk[/email]

Also there is

[url=http://www.continuum.uk.net/]http://www.continuum.uk.net/[/url][/quote]

Thanks for those, but yikes! They're awfully far away from Brighton. Can't you find anything [i]closer[/i]?

Kidding, kidding. Obviously. I'll be busy enough with school as it is. But I appreciate your concern.

Mike Olson
Barrier Peaks

Post by Barrier Peaks »

So, the roster is as such:

Mordraine
Skyman
Jerry
CCzernia
Belkregos

and
Azerack

On the topic of venue: how tough is it to get a table at Game Empire? How does one go about "reserving" a table there, if such a thing is even possible? How about Game Towne's facilities?

Azerack, your offer to host is appreciated and noted. We will need some manner of table and chairs, though. I'm not looking for a precise convention experience, but the possibilty of gaming in a somewhat public place, surrounded by smelly gamers, is probably a lot closer to the reality I have to look forward to in Indianapolis. ;)

There's also the question of distance. How far is everyone willing to go? Clairmont? Vista? I may be able to wrangle a few tables at a coffee shop that I frequent, but it's in Vista. Does that pose a problem for anyone?

For the time being, please discuss our options here in this public forum. Any questions about the setting, feel free to field them here, as well, and I'll try to answer them as best as I can.

If everyone could do me a favor and drop an email to me at gastleford@gmail.com. In this email, let me know where you're coming from (geographically), how old you are, your gender, as well as anything else that you think is relevant. If you could also include a daytime phone number, that would be groovy, too. That way, I can easily contact you closer to zero hour if things begin to go south.

That's about it. Thanks for the interest. It seems like a long way away, but trust me, the time will fly by.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Barrier Peaks"]
There's also the question of distance. How far is everyone willing to go? Clairmont? Vista? I may be able to wrangle a few tables at a coffee shop that I frequent, but it's in Vista. Does that pose a problem for anyone?[/quote]

What about Game Empire. It is half way between you and Mord and comes with tables, chairs and smelly gamers :P

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Barrier Peaks

Post by Barrier Peaks »

[quote="cczernia"]What about Game Empire. It is half way between you and Mord and comes with tables, chairs and smelly gamers :P[/quote]
I'm perfectly willing to run at Game Empire. As mentioned, though, how do you reserve a table? Or is it first come, first served?

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Barrier Peaks"]I'm perfectly willing to run at Game Empire. As mentioned, though, how do you reserve a table? Or is it first come, first served?[/quote]
It kinda goes in order of event first, miniature players second and RPG & CCG duke it out over what's left

belkregos
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by belkregos »

I’m fine with what ever the decision
I think on game town you just call to reserve
Azerack
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Azerack »

There IS that Game Empire off of the 805 and Clairemont Road that I could make it to.

I haven't ever reserved a table there, myself, but I'm sure someone can call and get info when the time comes. As I recall Gametowne is kind of small, so reserving something there would need to be done that week?

Well, I'll keep tabs, here to see where the end result is. :mrgreen:
Barrier Peaks

Post by Barrier Peaks »

I'm going to check with Game Empire and see what I can do about nailing down a table for that time period. I'll let you know what I come up with...

In the meantime, this thread will be the source of any news. As it stands, I've got the players (and I've had email from three of them so far), and now I just need to make sure we have a place to play.

Any questions or related discussion? Feel free to take care of that here.

Gary
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Azerack"]As I recall Gametowne is kind of small, so reserving something there would need to be done that week?
[/quote]

Gametowne isn't even an option right now. They closed their gaming room.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Barrier Peaks

Post by Barrier Peaks »

[quote="cczernia"]Gametowne isn't even an option right now. They closed their gaming room.[/quote]
Hm. Thanks for the information. I would have used Game Towne as a last resort, but this sort of knocks it out of the running.

A game store [i]without[/i] a game room. Who would've thought such a thing were possible? Most perturbatory.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]Gametowne isn't even an option right now. They closed their gaming room.[/quote]
Really? Why's that?

Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]Really? Why's that?[/quote]

Not sure.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

maybe to air it out?
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]maybe to air it out?[/quote]
Maybe they're using it for full-time production of Future Nexus.

[EDIT: Remembered the actual name of the game. Can't mock properly without the details!]

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]Maybe they're using it for full-time production of Nexus.[/quote]

Rumor has it that the troubles there have something to do with whats-her-face.

Barrier Peaks

Trip to Game Empire

Post by Barrier Peaks »

I'll be heading down to Game Empire tomorrow to see if I can arrange anything. I could call and save myself a trip, sure, but I've also got to look for a few things while I'm there.

More news later, when it's fit to print.
Barrier Peaks

The Game Empire Situation

Post by Barrier Peaks »

I went down and asked about reserving a table for our chosen day, Saturday July 29th.

It appears as if the management is reluctant to let anyone reserve a table on that day, due to Warhammer games that are likely to be happening. I asked about Sunday, but I guess that's the day that they have Warhammer Fantasy and Pokemon tournaments. No go for a reserved table then, either.

The advice I was given boiled down to, "Call and see if we've got tables open in the afternoon."

Doing this during the week (another option that was brought up) isn't possible: I have a day job, as I'm sure many of you guys do. The weekend game is really my only option. It seems, however, that guaranteeing a weekend playtest at Game Empire isn't going to be possible.

As to other options, does anyone have any other suggestions for a venue?

I can likely get permission to run the game at a local coffee shop (in Vista), but therein lies the problem: it's in Vista, and a lot of you guys are further south.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I'll ask my wife
Barrier Peaks

Post by Barrier Peaks »

Well, with no concrete venue for the game, I'm thinking that I may just have to cancel the event. If there are any suggestions, let's hear them.

As disappointing as cancellation might be, it's not strictly the end of the world. I'll make and post a final decision by 7/1, based on any feedback I get here.
belkregos
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by belkregos »

I asked at game town what was going on with the game room, they said they were just renovating,
it should be available
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

And if Game Towne falls through, I don't mind driving up to Vista. And I can carpool with folks too.
Barrier Peaks

Post by Barrier Peaks »

Well, it's fallen through.

Sorry to say, but we're off for this weekend's session. Life has conspired against me in a number of ways lately, but I do appreciate your interest and support.

I'll send out an email to the folks I have email addresses for and reiterate this message.

Once again, thanks, but things just didn't work out the way they might've.

Gary
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

So, no way to reschedule or anything?
Barrier Peaks

Post by Barrier Peaks »

Probably not before GenCon, but we can always do a pick-up game after I get back (if there's interest). Hell, there would be less pressure if we did that, plus I'd be doing it more for the players.

So, yeah, if you blokes are willing to try and organize this thing in late August, I'm up for running it. It's the least I can do for ya'll.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Well, I for one am still interested. So yeah, we'll see what shakes when you get back from Gencon (you lucky bastard).