Conan

An assortment of game systems and genres. One night only.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Conan

Post by SpaceMonkey »

It was brought up on the 'RPG Nostalgia' thread that a Conan game should be run. I agreed, and am hereby posting to the one-shots forum for discussion.

All that needs to be decided is Who (.. is playing, .. is running), Where, and When. And maybe What (system & such).

I probably wouldn't mind Mongoose's OGL version (since that's what I own), but if people's 'hat of d02 know no limit' then there's other options (or conversions if need be).

We've got a lot of GMs round these parts, so I'm mostly just getting the ball rolling, not necessarily laying claim to the GM's chair (but I wouldn't object to the position either).

Comments? Suggestions? GM-Power Grabs? Location/Date ideas/offers?
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Conan!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I say convert it to Savage Worlds! :P

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]I say convert it to Savage Worlds! :P

Chris[/quote]

Hrm....

[url]http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions/Conan.pdf[/url]

[url]http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions/Savage%20Hyboria.zip[/url]

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Yes, SAVAGE WORLDS
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

gah... so... conflicted.
want to... play.
but... already... playing in... four regular... games.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]gah... so... conflicted.

want to... play.

but... already... playing in... four regular... games.[/quote]

It's just a one shot. You know you want to. All the cool kids are doing it.

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

When and where are the One-Shots historically played? Since I haven't been able to game in almost a month, I am jonesin' for something. And what would a Conan game be without me? :biggrin:

And since I got rid of my OGL book (been planning on picking up the pocket version when I can), I'd be up for any system. SW would probably be fine.

Or, see my sig... :lol:
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

The OGL book is so evocative of the setting... But SW is a nice system, especially for one-shots.

All's I know is I don't have time to prepare for a scenario, so I wouldn't be running, but I'd love to play.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Hrm....

[url]http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions/Conan.pdf[/url]

[url]http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions/Savage%20Hyboria.zip[/url][/quote]

See, look. Someone's done the work for you. :P

Seriously, I probably won't be able to make it, so don't take anything I say in this thread too seriously.

Chris

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

That SW conversion in the zip files looks pretty good. 47 pages.
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Blasphemers. The OGL Conan by Mongoose is really good. I mean it. If there's one genre D20 was made for, IMO, it's hack-and-slash, Conan style. If I were to start a D&D game now, there's no way I'd use the PHB. We'd use OGL Conan for sure.

I'd like to be able to run a one-shot of it, because my lov of it know no limit, but I'm not sure when I could. Actually, I'd like to run an ongoing Conan campaign, but that's right out.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]See, look. Someone's done the work for you. :P

Seriously, I probably won't be able to make it, so don't take anything I say in this thread too seriously.

Chris[/quote]

And I have no interest in Conan, but that's not stopping me egging people on.

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

In case anyone is interested, I took that word document and added some flash to it (from the zip file). He used a font called Desperado, which looks very Conan-ish. If anyone wants, I can convert it to a pdf.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"]In case anyone is interested, I took that word document and added some flash to it (from the zip file). He used a font called Desperado, which looks very Conan-ish. If anyone wants, I can convert it to a pdf.[/quote]

I'd be interested. What he had looked like a good SW Conversation of Conan.

Chris

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]What he had looked like a good SW [b]Conversation [/b]of Conan.[/quote]
*throws hands in air*

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="devlin1"]*throws hands in air*[/quote]
:lolup:

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

:lolup: :worthless
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]*throws hands in air*[/quote]

I feel you - the OGL version is quite good (and somewhat more complete than the SW conversion). I'm not too picky on system as long as we play though ;)

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Skyman"]:lolup: :worthless[/quote]

[img]http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/sillymolecules/conan1.gif[/img]

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Jeesus, that guy's a Dick.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="devlin1"][img]http://ecvlionsclub.com/Best%20Shirt%20Ever.jpg[/img][/quote]
Ha! Joke's on them. I don't even [i]have[/i] an account.

Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="Neuro"]It's just a one shot. You know you want to. All the cool kids are doing it.[/quote]
that's no kind of reason. if everyone was roleplaying jumping off the brooklyn bridge, would you?...

what if you got awarded extra xp, all these, like, gems and gold and riches, and a +5 weapon of your choosing (+5!) if you did? would you then?...

what if they were using your system of choice? how about then?...

i'm sorry. what were we talking about?

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"][img]http://ecvlionsclub.com/Best%20Shirt%20Ever.jpg[/img][/quote]

Wow, suck. Totally ruined my "dick" joke.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Alright, the timing is totally ruined now, but here's the picture, for reals:

Mike Olson
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I am so confused now. :sly:
belkregos
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by belkregos »

i hope there's still room for one more player, :biggrin:
i'm all for a conan game!!
Men are like rivers whose surface is apparent but beginnings are unknown....
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Obviously Conan needs to be done in AD&D 1st edition style
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Hey!

Somebody get this shit going and run a Conan one-shot.
Mike Olson
belkregos
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by belkregos »

Lets do This!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

dnd3eplayer! Where are you? We want a Conan one-shot! Work it!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="mordraine"]dnd3eplayer! Where are you? We want a Conan one-shot! Work it![/quote]

Oh I'm here - never left in fact :mrgreen:

I was thinking that maybe someone with some SW knowledge may want to do it, as that seems to be majority vote on system. If you want me to do an OGL game though, I'm ready as soon as I can work up some characters and an adventure.

I would be fine running the SW game also, but I'd feel the need to like.. get the book and like... read it before I GM'd it - in addition to the characters & adventure prep work. That would obviously take longer.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Oh I'm here - never left in fact :mrgreen:

I was thinking that maybe someone with some SW knowledge may want to do it, as that seems to be majority vote on system. If you want me to do an OGL game though, I'm ready as soon as I can work up some characters and an adventure.

I would be fine running the SW game also, but I'd feel the need to like.. get the book and like... read it before I GM'd it - in addition to the characters & adventure prep work. That would obviously take longer.[/quote]

Do it in OGL then. Do it in whatever system you're most familiar with! For a one shot, OGL is fine for us Conan lovers.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

For me, OGL Conan is more than fine-- it's my preference. I just really think they did a great job with it.
Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Ok then - the adventure writing has begun.

Who's down for what day/time and all that? I could probably be ready by next weekend if I needed to, but a little breathing room will be good also. Maybe shoot for first or second week in June?

We'll also need a location..
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

For me, June would be best. If we could combine it with a WotG weekend, that'd be perfeck. However, I don't want the schedule to revolve around me, so if there's a date when everyone else can make it and I can't, go with it.
Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

June sounds good too. I've got dibs on the Stygian scholar!
belkregos
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by belkregos »

Pict Barbarian here! :mrgreen:
Azerack
One-Armed Skeleton

Mind if I join in?

Post by Azerack »

Escondido - Closer than SDSU college area (yay!)
June - Plenty of time to plan ahead for it.
Conan - Any child of the 70's can appreciate that!

Hi all,
New to the forums and Neuro pointed me in this direction.

I would just need to get a rulebook (since most of mine are in storage). It HAS been a while since I did any Conan playing (and forgive me, but I own that Conan Unchained module, too.. :wink: ) but I think I could swing back into it.

If I might suggest either a Friday or Saturday night (or Saturday day if people prefer)?

I kin' lay out my "resume", but basically I'm the standard "played D&D since 12years old" and "prefers the RP over hack n' slash" type.

Heck, I'm even the "Usually brings goodies" gamer! :mrgreen:

Anyway, I'm willing and able, so I'll keep my eye on here.

BTW, dnde3player, since you so generously offered to write the adventure.. What's your snack food of choice?

Meanwhile, I'll be scrambling to re-absorb all the Conan lore I lost since playing the Play-by-mail game, but color me a rogue! (Get it? I spelled it correctly for the class for a change? I kill me.. :biggrin: )
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Azerack - You can certainly buy the book if you want, but that is not necessary (especially for a one-shot). It's a good rpg, so I won't dissuade you if you wanted to pick it up anyway, but its like $50 retail, so don't feel obligated.... everything you will need to play will be provided already (I'll do pregen characters & such).

If you do decide to buy the book, get the Atlantean Edition (that's the revised/updated one) - it will say on the bottom of the cover if it is that version.

------------------------------
everyone -

Speaking of pregens, as I mentioned I will be providing these (and I will be taking into account preferences - so if you havent you may want to note what sort of character you would like), but if anyone wants to make their own character (or mod one of my pregens) that is fine also. In any case I'll have a variety to choose from. I'll try to post them a bit before the game so that there is time to mod for those that like that idea.

I don't have 'official' guidelines yet as I'm still writing, but at the moment I'm shooting for [disclaimer - this may change yet] 6th level (so there are enough 'cool abilities' & such, but not too much to bog down the game, as well as a larger breadth of options for adventure possibilities). I'll probably just be sticking to the main Conan book, and maybe some of the Conan supplements. If you are considering making/customizing your own character, start thinking along those lines.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Exciting!

Yeah, that's all I have to say at the moment. I'm excited!

Maybe I'll even cook up a Stygian scholar on my own. *rubs chin in thought*
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Cool beans (remember when people used to say "Cool beans"?). I'll make a guy and worry about being able to actually make it to the game later.
Mike Olson
Azerack
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Azerack »

[quote="devlin1"]Cool beans (remember when people used to say "Cool beans"?). I'll make a guy and worry about being able to actually make it to the game later.[/quote]

Why I even recall when people used to say "psyche!" in a good way! :biggrin:

Well that makes things easier. I'm a pretty decent quick-read, too (I learned to play "Lunch Money" in less than 5 rounds when someone asked me to just sit down and play), so I shan't have too much a problem.

You still need to name a snack food of choice, of course...

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this, too. Like seeing an oasis after a desert (well that's what I consider a year without any RP! )

Az.

belkregos
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by belkregos »

Cool!
It looks like the game is taking shape
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

After flipping through the rulebook again, I think I'll make either a Zamoran thief or a Hyrkanian archer. Or something else. But I like the Zamoran thief.
Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Sam, on chargen - are we going to use the "Heroic" option? The one where each attribute starts at 8, then you add a d10 roll to it?
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="devlin1"]Cool beans (remember when people used to say "Cool beans"?). I'll make a guy and worry about being able to actually make it to the game later.[/quote]

Hey, I say cool beans all the time.

Azerack
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Azerack »

Okay, now you all got me goin..

Can anyone recommend a "gaming" store up in North County? Preferably near Carlsbad? I know there's Sky High somewhere in San Marcos and Comic Gallery in Escondido, but darnit, I'm lazy!

Otherwise I'll just order online. :mrgreen:

Thanks.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Azerack"]Okay, now you all got me goin..

Can anyone recommend a "gaming" store up in North County? Preferably near Carlsbad? I know there's Sky High somewhere in San Marcos and Comic Gallery in Escondido, but darnit, I'm lazy!

Otherwise I'll just order online. :mrgreen:
[/quote]

Don't know any gaming stores up in NC. I only know of the ones down here (i.e. Game Empire and Game Towne).

But I would recommend buying online anyway, for this game. Cuz it retails for $50. You'd probably be able to get it online for $35~40.

Hey, [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1904577695/sr=8-1/qid=1148404698/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5661808-8574519?%5Fencoding=UTF8]Amazon's got it for $31.47[/url]!

You can also get the pocket edition [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/190485463X/sr=8-3/qid=1148404698/ref=pd_bbs_3/102-5661808-8574519?%5Fencoding=UTF8]from Amazon for $12.97[/url].

PS - try to get the "Atlantean" edition, which means they edited out all the clumsy errors.