Wuxia One-Shot

An assortment of game systems and genres. One night only.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

If I can play Old Fox or Fu Jin sound fun.

I am not to familiar with the time period though. Any good websites or books you would recommend to brush up on the era?
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Count Zero"]If I can play Old Fox or Fu Jin sound fun.

I am not to familiar with the time period though. Any good websites or books you would recommend to brush up on the era?[/quote]

The game is set in about 1670. Emperor Kangxi sits on the throne, and the Manchus have only been in power for around 26 years.

Wikipedia has some excellent stuff on this.

An overview of the Qing Dynasty:

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qing_Dynasty]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qing_Dynasty[/url]

A bit on Emperor Kangxi:

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangxi_Emperor]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangxi_Emperor[/url]

An overview of the wuxia genre (also check out the links at the end of the article):

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuxia]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuxia[/url]

I certainly encourage doing a little research. It'll make things more fun. If you can, watch [i]Swordsman II [/i]or [i]Crouching Tiger[/i] or [i]Hero [/i]tonight, or whatever other wuxia movie strikes your fancy. However, the more history and factual information you know, the more my accidental inaccuracies will throw you off, so caveat emptor.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Dibs on Old Fox![/quote]
Yep. Kinda figured.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="devlin1"]I certainly encourage doing a little research. It'll make things more fun. If you can, watch [i]Swordsman II [/i]or [i]Crouching Tiger[/i] or [i]Hero [/i]tonight, or whatever other wuxia movie strikes your fancy. However, the more history and factual information you know, the more my accidental inaccuracies will throw you off, so caveat emptor.[/quote]

thanks for the links. I actually own Crouching Tiger and Hero so I got a good idea of it. :)

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Count Zero"]thanks for the links. I actually own Crouching Tiger and Hero so I got a good idea of it. :)[/quote]
CTHD takes place around 1680, so it's pretty close in some ways to how our game will "look."

Mike Olson
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Cool character concepts. I'm leaning towards Leng Wu Cho or Fu Jin.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Cthulhu"]Cool character concepts. I'm leaning towards Leng Wu Cho or Fu Jin.[/quote]

So if two of us want the same character can we fight for it?

Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="Count Zero"]So if two of us want the same character can we fight for it?[/quote]

$10 on Cthulhu!

"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

I'm gonna have to bow out, gang. Real life issues of a dire kind just kind of showed up. Y'all have fun.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Can I play Wei Gao-Shu please...I will watch reruns of kung fu to get me in the mood:biggrin:
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="smartmonkey"]I'm gonna have to bow out, gang. Real life issues of a dire kind just kind of showed up. Y'all have fun.[/quote]
Damn. Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with your dire issues.

Mike Olson
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

So am I. Being homeless on a friends couch sucks.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="smartmonkey"]So am I. Being homeless on a friends couch sucks.[/quote]
Yikes! WTF?!

Mike Olson
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]Yikes! WTF?![/quote]

long story short, I'm out of my uncles house, period. I'm looking for new accomodations.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

What type of accomodations are you looking for and what price range?
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

The game is the 28th right? What time?

I don't get off work until 7 pm

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Count Zero"]The game is the 28th right? What time?

I don't get off work until 7 pm[/quote]

Um... whatever time is good for Mord.

Mord? What time do you want people showing up?

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I was hoping to get started before 7pm, but since CZ can't show up 'til after that, I guess it'll be after that.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]I was hoping to get started before 7pm, but since CZ can't show up 'til after that, I guess it'll be after that.[/quote]
Well, we can still start without him in a way that won't exclude him. Honest! The PCs won't start together, so we can do everyone else's little intros first.

Plus, for those people who aren't familiar with HERO, we can go over a few basics. Fortunately, CZ knows his way around HERO already, so he won't be missing anything he doesn't already know.

Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

hrm... i was going to drive a straight shot to mord's from work to get the jump on traffic. would it be okay if i show up earlier than after 7, mord? if so, when's the earliest that it'd be alright? thanks mord.

after the holidays i need this game like you wouldn't believe. thanks for running this, dev.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]after the holidays i need this game like you wouldn't believe. thanks for running this, dev.[/quote]
Why, was your Christmas not math-intensive enough for you?

Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

no, i had a sufficient amount of math this holiday season. w(+e)tf that means.

i just need less family-related things to think about, and more high-flying kung-fu-related things to think about.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

ah.
just got it.
because hero requires a lot of math.
got it.
heh.
ugh.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

[quote="Count Zero"]So if two of us want the same character can we fight for it?[/quote]

Didn't notice that. I'm happy with either really. Unless I get a cut of Winter's $10. :twisted:

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]hrm... i was going to drive a straight shot to mord's from work to get the jump on traffic. would it be okay if i show up earlier than after 7, mord? if so, when's the earliest that it'd be alright? thanks mord.

after the holidays i need this game like you wouldn't believe. thanks for running this, dev.[/quote]

a) Traffic's been rather light this week. Most schools are closed, and I think a lot of people are off work this week.

b) Y'all can start showing up around 6pm or so. That'd be fine. I'll probably be home around 5~5:30 so if you're a little earlier that's okay.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Oh, one other thing - I was thinking of ordering Chinese food. Any requests?
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="mordraine"]a) Traffic's been rather light this week. Most schools are closed, and I think a lot of people are off work this week.

b) Y'all can start showing up around 6pm or so. That'd be fine. I'll probably be home around 5~5:30 so if you're a little earlier that's okay.[/quote]

cool. i'll see you at 5. kidding. 5:30. also kidding. i'll see ya when i see ya.

are we fending for ourselves as far as food's concerned? if not, i need to know whether to stop and get some cash at the bank.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="mordraine"]Oh, one other thing - I was thinking of ordering Chinese food. Any requests?[/quote]
infernal forum gods, why dost thou mock me so?

um, anything really, if we're ordering from that one place you ordered that one time (btw, i still owe you some cash from that night, too).

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Speaking of Chinese food....

Leung Fan

BACKGROUND
The only art more varied than China's kung fu is China's cuisine. Ask the common man which one is more important and he'll reply without hesitation: food. As respected as accomplished martial artists may be, nobody is held in higher esteem than a good chef. Like his father and his father before him, Leung Fan is numbered among the greatest chefs of his generation. Though relatively young, he has proven himself a master of the Eight Great Traditions. Although he's known for many dishes, including his Shrimp in Chili Sauce and his Smiling Buddha Noodle Soup, he's most famous for the refinements he's made to his family's secret recipe for Six Heavens Dumplings, which-- if the legends are to be believed-- was originally given to Leung Fan's great-great-grandfather by a phoenix messenger of the Gods, along with a wok that's become a family heirloom.

Leung Fan is also a Manchu. This may cause a little conflict now and then when he runs into some prejudiced Han, but in general things are pretty good for the conquerors of China. Besides, he has more important things to worry about than the Han: he's on his way to Nanjiang to participate in a huge national cooking tournament, and he does not intend to lose. As great as he is, he's well aware that there are other chefs in China who are more experienced, more famous, and more accomplished, but he's not letting that deter him.

PERSONALITY
Leung Fan is an excellent example of a kind and decent Manchu. If he has a weakness, it's pride in his craft-- but then again, considering how skilled he is, it's difficult to distinguish pride from sheer confidence. He's determined to become a legendary chef.

"True enlightenment cannot be seen, heard, or felt... but it can be tasted."

POWERS/TACTICS
Although he's no fighter, Leung Fan will use his precious cooking implements to defend himself if pressed. Instead of wasting his ch'i on martial arts, he uses it to infuse his culinary creations with truly amazing transformative powers. Each morning, his Ch'i END Reserve starts at zero but can be "healed" through the act of cooking; that is, each day he can create several of his Six Heavens Dumplings, the exact number (but not type) of which is determined by how much time he's spent cooking. Not to get too deep into the mechanics here, but for every twenty minutes devoted to cooking, he gains 2-12 points of END in his Ch'i END Reserve. The actual points in the END Reserve are used when the dumplings are consumed. Each type of dumpling is named after a separate Heaven corresponding to its effect on the eater.

HEAVEN OF CELESTIAL MIGHT greatly increases the eater's physical prowess.
HEAVEN OF INCOMPARABLE SKILL grants the eater phenomenal agility and strengthens his kung fu.
HEAVEN OF ENDLESS ENDURANCE makes the eater tougher and healthier.
HEAVEN OF BUDDHA'S WISDOM confers clarity of mind and lucidity of thought.
HEAVEN OF TEN THOUSAND WINDS gives whoever consumes it a quick burst of speed.
HEAVEN OF ETERNAL SPRING has incredible recuperative properties.

SZECHUAN SURPRISE is Leung Fan at his most reluctantly resourceful. In a pinch, he can also use his bag of cooking spices as a weapon to temporarily blind an opponent, though it means a tragic waste of valuable ingredients.
Mike Olson
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I will be there as soon as possible. Can I get directions to your house please. Sorry for the wait.

If the late start is an issue, while I want to play, I also don't want to be a bother. So let me know if the late start is an issue.

I wouldn't mind car pooling with someone.

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="mordraine"]Oh, one other thing - I was thinking of ordering Chinese food. Any requests?[/quote]

I am pretty cool with whatever. I have never met a chinese dish I didn't like.

I like spicy stuff and I am a big fan of General Tso Chicken

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Just because I'll never have a more appropriate use:
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote] What type of accomodations are you looking for and what price range? [/quote]

The cheap kind, somewhere along the 8 freeway. Until I start my library gig, I'm reliant on my folks.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Count Zero"]I will be there as soon as possible. Can I get directions to your house please. Sorry for the wait.

If the late start is an issue, while I want to play, I also don't want to be a bother. So let me know if the late start is an issue.

I wouldn't mind car pooling with someone.[/quote]

devlin's pretty much said that he can fill in and do stuff not related to your character til you get there, so getting there late is definitely not a problem.

Secondly, since you ARE getting there late, that pretty much precludes doing the carpooling thing I would think.

I will PM you directions to my house. You'll get that momentarily.

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="mordraine"]Secondly, since you ARE getting there late, that pretty much precludes doing the carpooling thing I would think.[/quote]

I expected so... but it never hurts to ask.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Leung Fan the Iron Chef
OMG this guy rocks...now I'm torn between the monk and him
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="smartmonkey"]The cheap kind, somewhere along the 8 freeway. Until I start my library gig, I'm reliant on my folks.[/quote]
That is still very vague but here is a link to rental vacancies in San Diego...BTW this link may change over time and be no good.

[url]http://www.sdhc.net/VacancyListing/ReportAllUnitInfoWithContactInfoDRWContinousList.asp[/url]

here is the page if the one above becomes useless

[url]http://www.sdhc.net/VacancyListing/VacancyListingMainPage.asp[/url]

Now if your talking SRO(single room occupancies) Hotels I can give you info about that too but most of them is in Downtown.

Now if it's emergency shelter like ST. Vincents and such...I've got numbers to hook you up.

Now if your talking finding a couch at a friends well.... What am I thinking you already got that.:smash:

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Good game...Very much the fun I can ever expect with a wuxia game. Gotta see some of those Kung fu movies you guys referenced. Loved the Chef. Great Chinese food! Gotta take CZ for some dim sum and Korean BBQ. My allergies didn't bug me too much...Woo hoo!
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote]

Now if it's emergency shelter like ST. Vincents and such...I've got numbers to hook you up. [/quote]

I would be a terrible homeless person. I'd be panhandling to buy gaming books.

I'm going to Portland for a few weeks before school/my new job starts and my housing situation evens out. Those links are awesome, thanks.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

wondrous silken lance, activate!

thanks for the numba one quarity happy time. it was a hoot. it was fun playing with all of you. don't be a stranger, devlin. thanks for driving down to run it. the ever-gracious mordraine gets extra props for putting up with us all damn night... again.

can't wait for the gamma world one-shot.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="smartmonkey"]I would be a terrible homeless person. I'd be panhandling to buy gaming books.[/quote]i think i've met that guy. don't be that guy.
[quote="smartmonkey"]I'm going to Portland for a few weeks before school/my new job starts and my housing situation evens out.[/quote]hope your situation evens out sooner rather than later, s'monkey.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="smartmonkey"]I would be a terrible homeless person. I'd be panhandling to buy gaming books.

I'm going to Portland for a few weeks before school/my new job starts and my housing situation evens out. Those links are awesome, thanks.[/quote]

NP...I wasn't sure what exactly you were looking for but I assumed that was it. Thus the link. The others were a bit of a reach...thus no links or info.

I hope Portland is fun and worthwhile for you. I wish you the best at the library job in this new year.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Well, this scan doesn't do it justice at all, but here are the sketches I made of all the party members:

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

as dodgy as the scan quality is, the drawing translates real nicely on my crappy monitor at work. me rikey!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Thanks for the game. It was good to get a chance to play with you guys.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Fun game last night. Thanks to Devlin for running and Mord for hosting.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Thanks all for playing-- I had a great time. Special thanks to Mord (again) for hosting.

I felt like everyone got to do something cool, which doesn't always happen:

Leung Fan got to "blind" a vampire with spices, knock a guy out with a pair of thrown chopsticks, and turn everyone into supermen with his dumplings.

Old Fox got to finish off mooks by falling asleep on top of them and took out the #2 NPC by dragging him down to the ground, lying beside him, and whacking him with a stick.

Wu Cho got a little payback on those Shaolin Snake assholes by chopping off a couple left arms and finishing off the aforesaid #2 NPC in a truly postmodern cinematic manner.

Li Chao-Xing got to one-shot more than one poor mook by impaling them on silk and stabbed a vampire in the friggin' neck.

Fu Jin got to stumble into a statue and crush two guys to death with it. He may have missed a Turn drinking, but once he was drunk, Fu Jin smash!

Apologies again for keeping everyone out so late, but at least we all had fun. Yay, you!
Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Yes, past my bed time but I had a great time! Well worth the pissing off my wife and the shalacking I recieved afterwards, which ended with me telling her about my characters exploits. Sweet!

You forgot Fu Jin's drunkin drop of the superior soul technique and his torching of the guys on the stairs.

Time flies when your having fun

Mord I love your cartoon depictions...My pet names for everyone was, from left to right, Silky, Drunky, Cookie, Righty, and Sleepy. We were team 5 Avenging Hans of Heaven...or some crap like that.

HERO was an interesting GURP like system. Thanks for the intro Mike.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]
HERO was an interesting GURP like system. Thanks for the intro Mike.[/quote]

If by that you mean that GURPS is a HERO-like system, then yes, I agree that it is. Glad you enjoyed it!

And yeah, I forgot the innovative destruction of the vampire's superior soul.

"Here, hold this."

Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

haha!

"here, hold this."

...glad you made it back to the oc safe and sound.