Savage Star Wars One Shot

An assortment of game systems and genres. One night only.
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Savage Star Wars One Shot

Post by Rorschach »

It's on. One shot of Star Wars using Savage Worlds rules. Somewhere between Sept. 8 and Sept. 11 at one of the FLGS listed below. Please respond with your desire to play and we'll try for a date/time/place that works for the most people.

Premise
The adventure takes place 3 years after Episode I. The Republic and the Jedi are stretched thin trying to investigate and quell the initial unrest that will lead to the Confederation of Independent Systems and the Clone Wars in seven years. In an unprecendented move the Jedi Council and Senate have agreed on joint Troubleshooter Teams paring Jedi with Republic forces to investigate and assist Republic citizens where needed.

The PCs are one of the first Troubleshooter Teams. They're assigned to the Deeso sector off the Hydian Way near the area that will one day be the Corporate Sector Authority. There are rumors that a Sith temple was on one of the planets in the sector and the Council is deperately searching for any clues to their newly awakened enemy.

Of course this far away from "civilized space" there's more than a treasure hunt at stake.

Resources
Savage Worlds Test Drive
http://www.peginc.com/Games/Savage%20Wo ... Drive4.pdf

Star Wars Conversion Rules (Updated 8/30 by me!)
http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions/Star%20Wars.pdf

Spiffy Savage Star Wars character sheet by SW artist Cheyenne Wright
http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions ... arWars.pdf

Scheduling
Did some scouting this weekend on the FLGS and here's what I've got.

Game Towne has limited hours on the weekdays and since they just met me they're not willing to let me close up for them. It'd have to be a weekend afternoon thing there. I could reserve a table on a particular day, not too clear how ahead of time I could do it.

Game Empire has great hours (close at 10-11pm any day) but is crowded. Probably be a Thurdsay, Saturday or Sunday night there. No reservations and priority given to calendar events so it's a bit of a crap shoot but there's more room (even if crowded) and a weeknight is a possibility.
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Wow, so I start typing up a Master of Orion netbook for Savage Worlds, and log on to find this.

Pending my schedule, count me in.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm in too (depending on date, of course)! Looking forward to it.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Mark me as interested, I'll know once more concrete scheduling details are posted.
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I'm in, provided scheduling works out.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i might be out for that weekend. if it's on thursday or friday, i'm interested.
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

What works better for everyone:

Thursday night 6pm-11pm
Saturday night 5pm-10pm
Sunday night 5pm-10pm

Or another time. The schedule is pretty flexible I need to know what times people could be available that weekend.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Rorschach"]What works better for everyone:

Thursday night 6pm-11pm

Saturday night 5pm-10pm

Sunday night 5pm-10pm

Or another time. The schedule is pretty flexible I need to know what times people could be available that weekend.[/quote]

Hey Rorschach, check your PM's!

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Hey Rorschach, check your PM's![/quote]
I agree with Mordraine.

Way not to answer the question, Andy! Duh!

Anyway, personally, I'd prefer a weekend thing, because I have another thing on Thursday nights that I don't like missing (although I'm missing it tomorrow night for a different one shot...).

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="devlin1"]I agree with Mordraine.

Way not to answer the question, Andy! Duh!

Anyway, personally, I'd prefer a weekend thing, because I have another thing on Thursday nights that I don't like missing (although I'm missing it tomorrow night for a different one shot...).[/quote]
bitch, don't skunk me out of [i]another[/i] one-shot. like it's not enough that i don't get to play tomorrow's fading suns game? what did i ever do to you? tell me dev, what?

regardless, rorschach, thursday is the best option for me of those given.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Just so everyone knows, I've offered to hold the game at my place, but I was checking with Rorschach first to see if it was okay with him.

If it's not at my place and Thursday is the day, then I'd be unable to attend. If it *is* at my place, then Thursday would be fine (although *which* Thursday would be my next question). Weekends are also okay with me, although I usually prefer to game on a weeknight and have my weekends to myself.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Good news, everyone-- I didn't end up getting into my Ethics class at OCC (fucking lottery system-- I even cheated, and still didn't get in!), so until the 23rd, I'm, like, working a part-time job with no other commitments. So fuck it, let's do it on a Wednesday from 1:00 to 4:30.

I kid, I kid. If Thursday's the only day, I'll be there. I'm just saying that I'd prefer it if it weren't.
Mike Olson
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

So it's looking like Thursday 9/8 or Saturday? Thursday is a good night for Game Empire or Mordraine has offered his house in CV.

I've got two Thursday preferred and one weekend preferred. Speak up and let me know which days you want so we can get closer to a concensus.
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Choose a date. If work doesn't get in the way, I'll be there. Weekday evenings are best now. I'll check my schedule, but 9/8 is looking good. Hell, I'll even bring my corebook.

Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

Okay the date is 9/8 the time is 6pm-ish the place is Game Empire. Be there or be something-else... thingy... stuff... yeah.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="Rorschach"]Okay the date is 9/8 the time is 6pm-ish the place is Game Empire. Be there or be something-else... thingy... stuff... yeah.[/quote]question: if it's going to be on thursday why not at mordraine's since he offered?

statement: figs are best eaten when slightly firm but not bruised and when a sticky clear syrup comes out of the blossom end.

exclamation: hachi machi!

smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Mordraines house smells -much- nicer than Game Empire does.

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Thursday, Game Empire works for me
Thursday, Andy's place, works for me

The time is going to be a little difficult though, as I usually work until 6. I work fairly close to Game Empire, but it could be a half hour getting there during rush hour (took me an hour getting to Andy's last night for the Fading Suns game, most of that was traffic between Del Mar Heights and Clairmont Mesa, so you can see how that would apply to the Game Empire commute).

Anyway, I can squeeze out of work early if need be by a half hour or so. Hopefully won't be too much of an issue.

-sam

btw Devlin - if you cheated to try and get into your ethics class, perhaps you can use that as a demonstration of your morally-bankrupt self, and your need to learn the lessons proffered in said course, and consequently your eligibility to attend? Just a thought... :)
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Unfortunately, I'm sorta tied to my house on Thursdays (one of the reasons I rather selfishly offered my house to play at). So if the game is at Game Empire I'll have to bow out (unless it's moved to the weekend).
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

That's cool... I'm flexible. We can have it at Mordraine's house. I was shooting for 6 in the anticipation that it would be 7 or so by the time we all got settled in and ready to play. I appreciate the offer, it's always better to game at a house than a semi-public place.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Okay, I'm down for that. Hopefully this time I can be there on time, unlike last time.

Oh, also, it hasn't been made clear whether you plan on bringing pregens, so I just wanted to say... I'm all for you bringing pregens. Speed up the process.
Mike Olson
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

If this runs well, I found a Savage Worlds conversion for the Crimson Skies setting.

Savage Worlds makes me happy.

Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

[quote="devlin1"]Oh, also, it hasn't been made clear whether you plan on bringing pregens, so I just wanted to say... I'm all for you bringing pregens. Speed up the process.[/quote]

Pregens will be available for those who want them. Pregens not used or replaced by players will be NPCs.

smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

So, six pm at Mordraines?

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="smartmonkey"]So, six pm at Mordraines?[/quote]
Sounds good. See you at 7.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="smartmonkey"]So, six pm at Mordraines?[/quote]

More like 6:30, but yeah, that's the plan.

Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

Woo! I'll see everyone between 6:30 and 7-ish.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

sweet! can't wait.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I had a good time. Love the cards. Glad I could make it because I didn't think I would because I had work and another obligation stacked before getting there. Thanks for having space for me.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Thanks to Rorschach for running the game! It was great fun! Sorry if we were a little rowdy and got off track so much!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Regardless of plot/goal completion, we did get a nice intro to the system. I certainly had fun :)

Rorschach, let us know if/when you want to do a 'continuation'/sequel - I'd be down for that.

-sam
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Star Wars as conceptualized by Allen Varney. I had fun.

I'm all for a sequel sometime, too. Surely the tales of Fif Bakula haven't come to an end! I mean, I got XP and everything!
Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]Star Wars as conceptualized by Allen Varney. I had fun.[/quote]

Interestingly enough Mr. Varney's wife's name is Fif.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

definitely interested in a second game, gentlemen.

thanks rorschach for running it and introducing me to savage worlds! and mordraine, as always, props for the hospitality!
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

I had a lot of fun guys. Didn't mind the tangents as long as everyone is having a good time. I'd be up for another round.
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Good times all around.

While I realize you can't dodge bullets, you can certainly make it harder for someone to aim at you. Feeling -dead- helpless while being shot at was kinda painful.

Still loving the system.

Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

You've got to take cover. The first action in a firefight is to move to cover, not stand out in the open and get shot. I had the same problem with running the enemies, I kept forgetting to put them in cover expect for the two guys in the bar. Even if there's no cover, if there's some space between you and the bad guys go prone and get that -2 cover modifier. It's really the difference between getting hit and not.

Also understand that all the PCs were starting characters. So shooting autofire and two weapons at once may seem onerous now, but get some XP and advances behind you and it'll be a more common and successful action.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

It's also a matter of perspective I think. For a mook, missing on a 1-3 (when they are rolling probably just one d6 to hit) is the norm. And consider that's a shot where the defender has no cover, and is pretty close (sitting ducks come to mind).

So they are not hitting a human sized target with a pistol from close range a full half of the time. Doesn't seem too bad for the PCs when viewed that way - and it can be visualized as the target dodging a bit, and the adrenaline pumping, which contributes to the miss chance in the heat of battle.

So, you're basically taking the 'coin-flip' chance of getting shot if you don't take cover.

I agree that it is nice to have the feeling, as a Player, that you have some control over getting hit, like a dodge roll, or a way to 'armor up' or somesuch, but that is more a personal preference than a mechanics issue I think.

just my 2cent.

-sam
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

Well you get a -1 for every 10" of movement you have in a round. But unless you're plaing the Matrix or a supers game the only thing you really can do is put something between you and the gun/blaster/whatever.

Also going prone gives you a -2 to hit as long as there's some distance between you and the shooter.

Also remember closing to melee range changes your TN to get shot to your Parry. And if people outside of the melee roll a 1 on the shooting die they hit an adjacent character.

It's just the difference between having an innate ability to get behind cover or "dodge" a bullet versus actually calling out the action.

Fortunately armor reduces damage, doesn't make you harder to hit.

And just as the muskets did hundreds of years ago, the gun is an equalizer of men. Unless you've got a lightsaber. :)
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

makes sense to me