One-Shot Ideas

An assortment of game systems and genres. One night only.
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

One-Shot Ideas

Post by Rorschach »

Okay, here's my ideas for one shots to get myself introduced into the rpg scene here in SD. Let me know what you think and I'll put one together. I don't have a preference for location, any of the FLGS will do.

1) 50 Fathoms - Savage Worlds: Intro or early adventure on the swashbuckling fantasy world of Caribdus.

2) Star Wars - Savage Worlds: First mission of a Republic Troubleshooter Team, non-Jedi allowed and encouraged. Takes place between EpI and EpII.

3) Warhammer Fantasy RPG - 2nd ed.: Introductory adventure in Middenheim.

4) Over the Edge - OtE: Welcome to the island nation of Al Amarja, it's 2005 and every conspiracy theory is true and operates semi-openly here on the hideaway in the Mediterranean Sea. Getting through customs is an adventure in and of itself.

5) Paranioa - XP ed.: You don't have the appropriate clearance citizen to know about this mission. The Computer is your friend.
belkregos
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by belkregos »

how about a Conan RPG one shot?
if theres one available i'd like to join :smile:
Men are like rivers whose surface is apparent but beginnings are unknown....
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Paranoia is the perfect one-shot game, imho.
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

I know that Paranoia is good for throw-away games but I wanted to show a little variety.

I'm very confused by the number of forums you have here. Should this have gone in the one-shot forum?
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="Rorschach"]5) Paranioa - XP ed.: You don't have the appropriate clearance citizen to know about this mission. The Computer is your friend.[/quote]a little part of me is crying its eyes out for devlin1 right now.

okay. it stopped.

BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

Over the edge is a good one shot too!
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

I've heard nothing but good things about 50 fathoms. Keep us posted.

I'd recomend a Nobilis one-shot, but I don't think that lends itself well to one-shots...
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

Yeah Nobilis is a bit esoteric for a one-shot. Making your Imperator and Chancel is half the fun of character creation and would take up a whole session or two. Pre-gens don't really fit with Nobilis either, since choosing estate is a very personal thing. Been thinking about a Nobilis PBEM though. Lengthy prose and diceless system would fit well methinks.
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

It would, except PBEM goes at a snails pace, and my creative writing skills have atrophied - college essays don't require much, so...

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Hey Rosarch,

Here is a link to the One Shot forum: http://rpg-sandiego.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Or I could just move this thread there.

As you can see you've sparked some interest....I haven't played any of the mentioned except paranoia, but that was back in high school.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote]2) Star Wars - Savage Worlds: First mission of a Republic Troubleshooter Team, non-Jedi allowed and encouraged. Takes place between EpI and EpII.

5) Paranioa - XP ed.: You don't have the appropriate clearance citizen to know about this mission. The Computer is your friend.[/quote]

Yes.

Run either of these on a day/time when I could actually attend, wherever you are, and I'll be there with bells on. Literally! Well, not [i]literally [/i]literally. I can't guarantee the bells, but I'd definitely try to make it.

And Albert-- thanks, buddy. I'm doing one of those single-tear cries, Indian-style*.

*[size=75]Feathers.[/size]

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

[quote="Skyman"]Hey Rosarch,

Here is a link to the One Shot forum: [url]http://rpg-sandiego.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=29[/url]

Or I could just move this thread there.

As you can see you've sparked some interest....I haven't played any of the mentioned except paranoia, but that was back in high school.[/quote]

Yeah sorry about that. 25 fourms is lot to keep track of. Feel free to move it if you like.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Rorschach"]Yeah sorry about that. 25 fourms is lot to keep track of. Feel free to move it if you like.[/quote]
We need each and every one of them or it'd be utter chaos. You can't have Terry Schiavo threads fraternizing with I Hate D100 threads!

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

O noes! Someone write a Schiavo game using a d100 mechanic!

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

NP, Moved it is.....peace
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="smartmonkey"]O noes! Someone write a Schiavo game using a d100 mechanic![/quote]

Hmmm I sense a EABA/Kult game...

Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

Okay so it looks like Savage Worlds with 50 Fathoms or Star Wars. For the record I'd be using my own conversion of Star Wars to the SW rules:

http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions/Star%20Wars.pdf
http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions ... arWars.pdf

Since it's Savage Worlds I'll probably do character creation as part of the one shot, but have pre-gens on hand for those who don't want to bother.

For 50 Fathoms I'd probably do the intro adventure of the plot point arc which involves the orc analogs, giant monsters and shipwrecks.

For Star Wars I'd use a concept I've used in my last campaign to have Republic Troubleshooter Teams. Basically after the Sith reappeared in EpI the Jedi Council and Republic formed teams of troubleshooters to patrol the galaxy to keep order and investigate the Sith. Having only 1,000 Jedi on hand there was a need for other experienced sentients (scouts, scoundrels, bounty hunters, soldiers, diplomats, etc.) to group together and investigate what was going on out there in the big wide galaxy.

The adventure would be the first mission for the team to investigate the possible site of a Sith ruin in an out of the way system near Hutt space. Problem is the Republic doesn't have any real influcene in the sector and a neighboring system was invaded by a splinter race of the Gamorreans (who are actually smart but just as ruthless). So under threat of invasion and as the only Republic "representatives" in the sector, how do you complete the mission and maybe stop a war? Did I mention the Trade Federation has a presence in the sector as well?
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm interested in seeing the Savage Worlds system in action. I'd play in the Star Wars game.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]I'm interested in seeing the Savage Worlds system in action. I'd play in the Star Wars game.[/quote]
Ditto, depending on when it happens. I love the idea of a Jedi-less Star Wars game. I ran a brief one myself, wherein the only Jedi the PCs came across was already dead.

Mike Olson
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

[quote="devlin1"]Ditto, depending on when it happens. I love the idea of a Jedi-less Star Wars game. I ran a brief one myself, wherein the only Jedi the PCs came across was already dead.[/quote]

Well playing in between EpI and II Jedi PCs are a real viability, but I subscribe to the school of the Battle of Geonosis where Jedi that weren't speaking characters got mowed down by massed fire failry easily. And the PC characters do not have any speaking parts in any of the movies. :twisted:

In other words, Jedi are fully within the balancing power structure of the Savage Worlds system and are more like a fighter/mage cross class than an invulnerable superhero.

If you truly want no-Jedi, try the Rebellion era.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Rorschach"]Well playing in between EpI and II Jedi PCs are a real viability, but I subscribe to the school of the Battle of Geonosis where Jedi that weren't speaking characters got mowed down by massed fire failry easily. And the PC characters do not have any speaking parts in any of the movies. :twisted:

In other words, Jedi are fully within the balancing power structure of the Savage Worlds system and are more like a fighter/mage cross class than an invulnerable superhero.

If you truly want no-Jedi, try the Rebellion era.[/quote]

I'm not suggesting a no-Jedi era; I'm just expounding on the virtues of a game in which Jedi don't make a meaningful contribution. I mean, really, the Jedi can't be everywhere at once, and I think there's a certain charm in a small-scale game in what's generally considered a large-scale setting.

But anyway.

Mike Olson
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

I agree quite a bit. I fully expect to give the Jedi in my games all the responsbility that goes with their status and legend. It's tough to live up to a legend. But in actuality they're the magic users of the game. Not any better, just different.
BreakfastOfChampions

When I ran Star Wars, the players really got tripped up by Jedi responsibilities. Sure, they got the major ones, but the little things -- don't kill your father, don't pretend to be dead to ambush the techs -- well, those things kinda got missed.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Star Wars sounds cool
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Bah. I still say Nobilis. Even though I'm no where near being able to drive up north on a weekly basis.

Then again, I paid 42 bucks for my Nobilis core, and I want to get -some- use of it, somehow.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Dude it's a one shot
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

Star Wars one shot it is. I'll start another thread on the game in a few days to start the scheduling process and fleshing out some details. Probably run it in September.

Nobilis... I like the game a lot, but not really for a one-shot. PBEM Nobilis, now that's doable considering the literary bent and diceless mechanics.
topher
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by topher »

IF there is room, I am up for playing SW.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I haven't played SW in a year or so -> I'd definitely be down.
Thaylen

Post by Thaylen »

Hey,

I've been looking for a good SW game as well, shoot me an email thaylenstardackle@yahoo.com if you got any room.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

So is there a specific date in September we are shooting for?
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

[quote="Skyman"]So is there a specific date in September we are shooting for?[/quote]

10-11 or 17-18 are the best dates for me. Either Game Empire or Game Towne works as a location. Might have to check the schedules for an open table.

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

The 18th would be nigh-impossible for me (running my standard campaign), but any of the other dates would work.

I think Game Empire ususally has some open tables on the weekends, but it has been a while since I have checked... Not sure about Game Towne
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Rorschach"]10-11 or 17-18 are the best dates for me. Either Game Empire or Game Towne works as a location. Might have to check the schedules for an open table.[/quote]

Any of those dates would be okay with me. But are you looking for it to run two days? Or just one? Also, how long would your session go? Just curious how much time I'd have to block out. Might make a difference.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

I figure one session (it is a one-shot right?) for maybe 4-5 hours. This will include set up and character creation, but that should be quick with Savage Worlds.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Weekends blow pretty hard for me but set a date with hours and let's see where it takes us. I can try to finagle it
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

Sorry but it's tough to get a string of hours together on a weeknight. I'll check at Game Empire and Game Towne this week to see what's available on the 10th and 11th.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Rorschach"]I figure one session (it is a one-shot right?) for maybe 4-5 hours. This will include set up and character creation, but that should be quick with Savage Worlds.[/quote]

Sounds good to me. I figured I'd check. Some people have a different definition of one-shot, but yes, 'round here we generally consider that one session. 4-5 hours sounds like the perfect length too. Depending on how much you have planned, you might want to pregen the characters. I know you say that chargen in Savage Worlds is quick, but in my experience it's always better to have the characters in-hand. That's just a suggestion, though, and I wouldn't mind creating a character, cuz I'm sorta interested in the system.

Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="mordraine"] in my experience it's always better to have the characters in-hand[/quote]

Gotta agree with Modraine here, especially since you'll probably have a fair share of people who aren't familiar with the system.

"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

I suppose I could whip up a mess of pre-gens to give the players many options. Any missing pieces can be easily played by NPCs.

It takes someone experienced with the system about 5 minutes to get the stats down for a character and start playing, I figure the first hour will be an intro to the system plus character generation and the opportunity for people who are further along to flesh out their characters and help teach the others.

We might even run a little PC-on-PC mock combat (or against a ubiquitous battledroid squad) to work the kinks out before we start the adventure.

It's also my intention to let the participants do a little homework if you're unfamiliar with SW:
http://www.peginc.com/Games/Savage%20Wo ... Drive4.pdf

And here's my more-than-a-year-old conversion of Star Wars to SW:
(I will update this before the one-shot, started work on it already)

Even a spiffy character sheet!:

Really the whole draw for me with Savage Worlds is the pick it up and go capabilities of the system, but still a certain amount of crunch to give you tacitcal and roleplaying options. Should be a breeze for the experienced roleplayer. :smile:

I'm quite looking forward to it.
Rorschach
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Rorschach »

I suppose I could whip up a mess of pre-gens to give the players many options. Any missing pieces can be easily played by NPCs.

It takes someone experienced with the system about 5 minutes to get the stats down for a character and start playing, I figure the first hour will be an intro to the system plus character generation and the opportunity for people who are further along to flesh out their characters and help teach the others.

We might even run a little PC-on-PC mock combat (or against a ubiquitous battledroid squad) to work the kinks out before we start the adventure.

It's also my intention to let the participants do a little homework if you're unfamiliar with SW:
http://www.peginc.com/Games/Savage%20Wo ... Drive4.pdf

And here's my more-than-a-year-old conversion of Star Wars to SW:
(I will update this before the one-shot, started work on it already)

Even a spiffy character sheet!:

Really the whole draw for me with Savage Worlds is the pick it up and go capabilities of the system, but still a certain amount of crunch to give you tacitcal and roleplaying options. Should be a breeze for the experienced roleplayer. :smile:

I'm quite looking forward to it.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="Rorschach"]

I'm quite looking forward to it.[/quote]

Me too -- looks like a cool system. I'll probably work out some character basics before game day - just to get familiar with the system if anything.

Have you narrowed down the date yet, or is that still up in the air?

-sam