Blood, Death, Vengance

An assortment of game systems and genres. One night only.
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

I've been looking through the Conan d20 Book.

A friend of mine has been arguing that you can't run Conan with the same feel as Howard, for a variety of reasons.

Conan looks like it would be a lot of fun, and I'd like to run a 4-5 character one shot next month.

Is anyone interested in playing?
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

obviously your friends hypotheses need to be tested :P
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Skyman"]obviously your friends hypotheses need to be tested :P[/quote]

He makes good points. I won't start people at level 1, and am thinking that 4th or so is a good starting point.

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:e060dbfc34="Skyman"]obviously your friends hypotheses need to be tested :P[/quote]

He makes good points. I won't start people at level 1, and am thinking that 4th or so is a good starting point.[/quote:e060dbfc34]

This is actually true of most novels. 4th or 5th is what I would say is the average level of novel fantasy heroes. As a writter, you want your heroes to be capable, even experienced, but with room to grow. You don't want super-powerful heroes, because nothing can challenge them, and you don't want complete newbie's etiher. So, if you're trying to run a game with the feel of a book, then you're right to start people at around 4th level.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]
A friend of mine has been arguing that you can't run Conan with the same feel as Howard, for a variety of reasons.[/quote]

This friend of yours know nothing. Conan d20 is te r0xx0rs. Just remember to make sure all the PCs swear an oath :P

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="cczernia"][quote:a2d63e1d3f="BreakfastOfChampions"]

A friend of mine has been arguing that you can't run Conan with the same feel as Howard, for a variety of reasons.[/quote]

This friend of yours know nothing. Conan d20 is te r0xx0rs. Just remember to make sure all the PCs swear an oath :P[/quote:a2d63e1d3f]

You're a bad, bad man. Just for that, you have to play a pirate.

A landlocked pirate.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:272740172f="cczernia"][quote:272740172f="BreakfastOfChampions"]

This friend of yours know nothing. Conan d20 is te r0xx0rs. Just remember to make sure all the PCs swear an oath :P[/quote:272740172f]

A landlocked pirate.[/quote:272740172f]

With a -1 to Will rolls and -1 to damage.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="cczernia"][quote:09c0bd9a38="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:09c0bd9a38="cczernia"][quote:09c0bd9a38="BreakfastOfChampions"]

This friend of yours know nothing. Conan d20 is te r0xx0rs. Just remember to make sure all the PCs swear an oath :P[/quote:09c0bd9a38]

A landlocked pirate.[/quote:09c0bd9a38]

With a -1 to Will rolls and -1 to damage.[/quote:09c0bd9a38]

I don't remember, did you use your ferocious attack very much?

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I don't remember, did you use your ferocious attack very much?[/quote]

I don't remember exactly what that did but I remember trying it and it not applying or succeeding. The game was much more 3 Stooges than Conan.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="cczernia"]The game was much more 3 Stooges than Conan.[/quote]

You were playing with Smartmonkey and Gotetsu?

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="BlanchPrez"][quote:1570634b36="cczernia"]The game was much more 3 Stooges than Conan.[/quote]

You were playing with Smartmonkey and Gotetsu?

Chris[/quote:1570634b36]

Smartmonkey was suppose to play but in the end couldn't make. Gotetsu yes. Mark the Animator, Devlin1, BoC and a guy named Octavio.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Nah, I only sat in on one session. Mark the Animator played Columbo the Barbarian, as I recall.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]
This is actually true of most novels. 4th or 5th is what I would say is the average level of novel fantasy heroes. As a writter, you want your heroes to be capable, even experienced, but with room to grow. You don't want super-powerful heroes, because nothing can challenge them, and you don't want complete newbie's etiher. So, if you're trying to run a game with the feel of a book, then you're right to start people at around 4th level.[/quote]

This might be true of most fantasy novels but this certainly isn't true of Conan. Conan starts with him as King and the biggest bad ass EVAR! Sorcerer and Sword actually gives you advice on how to play a character at different times in his life. However, I have heard that if you want to capture the feel of Sword and Sorcery using Conan you have to start the characters at least 4 or 5th level.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="smartmonkey"]Nah, I only sat in on one session. Mark the Animator played Columbo the Barbarian, as I recall.[/quote]

Was that the session I called him "Conan the Vagina"?

I can only try to make the one shot better than that session.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:d857122d32="smartmonkey"]Nah, I only sat in on one session. Mark the Animator played Columbo the Barbarian, as I recall.[/quote]

I can only try to make the one shot better than that session.[/quote:d857122d32]

Heh, that was the one I missed and from the sounds of it you wouldn't even have to try.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="cczernia"][quote:cbd63cdc61="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:cbd63cdc61="smartmonkey"]Nah, I only sat in on one session. Mark the Animator played Columbo the Barbarian, as I recall.[/quote]

I can only try to make the one shot better than that session.[/quote:cbd63cdc61]

Heh, that was the one I missed and from the sounds of it you wouldn't even have to try.[/quote:cbd63cdc61]

Yeah, you and SM showed up later.

But I want this to be better. BETTAH, say I.

Pregens. Lots of them. Lots of travel and multiple cities. Many characters get bonuses for certain terrain, and its no fun when the pirate is landlocked.

smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote]Was that the session I called him "Conan the Vagina"?

I can only try to make the one shot better than that session.[/quote]

I seem to remember you saying that.

He was wearing -that- shirt. Remember? That one.

And dear god, make it better than that session. It wasn't LU's fault.

BreakfastOfChampions

I swear an oath to make it a better session than that.

So I'm thinking pregens, 4th level. And yeah, I'll put in a scholar or two. Just for the pain.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="smartmonkey"]
And dear god, make it better than that session. It wasn't LU's fault.[/quote]

Accept that wasn't the only adventure that had problems. I think my character managed to rack up around 10 points of damage total and he hit about 90% of the time.

GM: You hit. Roll damage.

Me: <roll> 6 points of damage

GM: He has 6 points of armor. Your weapon has a armor piercing of 1. You do 1 point of damage.

Me: <sigh> Why did this never seem to happen to Conan.

The entire thing was a tragedy and has left a bitter taste ever since.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

hey BoC, i know we've had our... um... differences... but i'd really like to play in this. i mean, hey... it's CONAN! i'm willing to bury the hatchet for conan! ;)

speaking of which, has anyone read the second conan compilation, "the bloody crown of conan"? i've got it on order from a local book store (mysterious galaxies over there by game empire) but it hasn't come in yet, dammit!
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Dude, we've had a copy sitting at Barnes and Noble for, like, three months,.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="smartmonkey"]Dude, we've had a copy sitting at Barnes and Noble for, like, three months,.[/quote]

yeah, i've seen it at the evil corporate bookstores. i wanna support my mom&pop store.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="mordraine"]hey BoC, i know we've had our... um... differences... but i'd really like to play in this. i mean, hey... it's CONAN! i'm willing to bury the hatchet for conan! ]

I'd love to have ya play! Lets bury the hatchet, in some worthless dog's skull! :mrgreen:
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="cczernia"][quote:75a7537179="smartmonkey"]

And dear god, make it better than that session. It wasn't LU's fault.[/quote]

Accept that wasn't the only adventure that had problems. I think my character managed to rack up around 10 points of damage total and he hit about 90% of the time.

GM: You hit. Roll damage.

Me: &lt]

It sucks having a strength of 8. It also sucks having bad die rolls and not having the hit points to survive long enough for the odds to work for you.

Not to devolve into crunch, but pirates get that cool ferocious attack power, which should have allowed you to get a high enough number to ignore the DR of your opponents armor, for at least one attack.

There will be no str 8 pirates in my game. They will be fast, flashy, and deadly.

Besides, you roll like a viking in my games.

Me: "Roll perception."

Chris: "97. That's open-ended, right?"

Me: "Yup!"

Chris: "97!"

Me: "Oh dear."

Chris: "05"

Me: *Hands module to Chris* "Here, you notice this."

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Me: *Hands module to Chris* "Here, you notice this."[/quote]

Of course when it counts:

BoC: roll to trick the baronette's wife into sending your husband to war giving a lot more freedom to move about.

Me: 03 (or 103 depending on how you look at it :P )

BoC: She throws you in the kitchen with soap, cloth and water saying that you'll never leave the house again.

Me: :cry:

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I would like to play
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="cczernia"][quote:9562b825d3="BreakfastOfChampions"]

Me: *Hands module to Chris* "Here, you notice this."[/quote]

Of course when it counts:

BoC: roll to trick the baronette's wife into sending your husband to war giving a lot more freedom to move about.

BoC: She throws you in the kitchen with soap, cloth and water saying that you'll never leave the house again.

Me: :cry:[/quote:9562b825d3]

I believe she was quite sympathetic, knowing that arranged marriages don't always seem to work out at first, and that love grows in time -- or at least you get used to him. ;)

Ah, but now youre an acting Viking! There are always new lies/bribes to try!

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I believe she was quite sympathetic, knowing that arranged marriages don't always seem to work out at first, and that love grows in time -- or at least you get used to him. ]

Emma: The Marriage A new RPG about trying to get out of the house :wink:
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="cczernia"][quote:8480eade68="BreakfastOfChampions"]
I believe she was quite sympathetic, knowing that arranged marriages don't always seem to work out at first, and that love grows in time -- or at least you get used to him. ]

Emma: The Marriage A new RPG about trying to get out of the house :wink:[/quote:8480eade68]

You swore an oath of marriage. *run*run*run* Besides, you said you wanted a personal connection to the big heist. Imagine how good its going to feel ripping him off. ;)
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="cczernia"]Me: 03 (or 103 depending on how you look at it :P )[/quote]
:nono:

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

While I miss you guys and all, I can't say I'm sorry to have missed out on the conversation that spawned this:
[quote="cczernia"]
[/quote]

Also, no, Conan tended to do more damage than Puss the Pirate, but then again he was a different character. If you wanted to play Conan, you should've made a barbarian. If you didn't want to be so weak, maybe you shouldn't have chosen to have a 9 Strength. Fucker. :x

Also! What night would this one-shot take place? Because if I could make it, I'd be in for that. If it's, say, a little later in the week, I can probably pull it off.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

most one-shots have been happening on thursdays, but this is BoC's deal, so it's his call.

the 03/103 thing is a champions in-joke, and i'll not embarass JC with the telling of it.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Make it Thursday and I'm in. This is one of the many reasons I contrived not to have class on Fridays.

(Or Thursdays, for that matter.)
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
BreakfastOfChampions

I will hold with the time-honored traditon of Thursday. I just don't know what week yet :)
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]I will hold with the time-honored traditon of Thursday. I just don't know what week yet :)[/quote]
Try to do it before I have to get a job.

Mike Olson
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="devlin1"][quote:4df18b9998="BreakfastOfChampions"]I will hold with the time-honored traditon of Thursday. I just don't know what week yet :)[/quote]
Try to do it before I have to get a job.[/quote:4df18b9998]

Oooh! Pressures on!

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]
Also, no, Conan tended to do more damage than Puss the Pirate, but then again he was a different character. If you wanted to play Conan, you should've made a barbarian. If you didn't want to be so weak, maybe you shouldn't have chosen to have a 9 Strength. Fucker. .[/quote]

Well, now that I recall the reason I took a 9 strength was that strength didn't affect my to hit or dam. So, I didn't have a -1 dam. So, a finesse character basically equals Puss the Pirate. Also note that I was told there would be many opportunities for a pirate which I took to mean, the pirate class would be useful.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]
Well, now that I recall the reason I took a 9 strength was that strength didn't affect my to hit or dam. So, I didn't have a -1 dam. So, a finesse character basically equals Puss the Pirate. Also note that I was told there would be many opportunities for a pirate which I took to mean, the pirate class would be useful.[/quote]

This is a failing of the adventure, not the game system. I know you may find it hard to think of LU in a negative light, but in this case I think you're going to have to force yourself to realize he did kind of a shite job of catering to your character's particular... special... needs.

Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]
This is a failing of the adventure, not the game system. I know you may find it hard to think of LU in a negative light, but in this case I think you're going to have to force yourself to realize he did kind of a shite job of catering to your character's particular... special... needs.[/quote]

No, pretty much everyone sucked up until the last adventure. My problem was that it felt more like D&D than Conan. I read the first few stories while playing the game and I would read about Conan kicking ass.

I would than come to the table to get my ass kicked. Didn't feel very Conan to me.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]
No, pretty much everyone sucked up until the last adventure. My problem was that it felt more like D&amp]
Oh, I'm totally getting myself into this whole conversation again, but... what the hell.

You were reading Conan stories, but your character wasn't Conan. You simply weren't going to kick ass the same way Conan did. Theoretically, there should've been something at which you were equally kick-ass, but clearly fighting heavily-armored foes with a saber and a 9 Strength wasn't it. He was, as you said, a finesse fighter. He should've been about not getting hit and making precise strikes (which as a 2nd level character is probably difficult to reproduce even in Conan, I know; HERO, of course, would've done a better job...). My guy wasn't about the toe-to-toe combat, either. He had another schtick: he could throw a dagger at a guy for 60 God-damn points of damage. Neither of us was about to pick up a battle axe and fight thirty guys at once. On the contrary; we had to double-team Iavinicus, an unarmored thug who was only remarkable in that he was apparently the only guy in town who owned a sword.

Actually, I have to smile when I think of that fight-- the two of us tackling and stabbing him in the middle of the road. Definitely one of the funniest moments of that scenario.
Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]
You were reading Conan stories, but your character wasn't Conan. You simply weren't going to kick ass the same way Conan did. Theoretically, there should've been something at which you were equally kick-ass, but clearly fighting heavily-armored foes with a saber and a 9 Strength wasn't it. He was, as you said, a finesse fighter. He should've been about not getting hit and making precise strikes (which as a 2nd level character is probably difficult to reproduce even in Conan, I know]

No, we weren't Conan but the Conan stories set up a presedent as to how sword and sorcery stories go. That is to say that the antagonists should kick mighty ass upon lowly thugs. So, the question for the PCs shouldn't be if they can kick much ass, but how. The pirate sticks them in the eyeball with his rapier, the barbarian hacks off their head and the thief comes up behind two of them and takes them down quickly.

Conan the RPG did not do this... at all. So to me, it fails at simulating Conan. Now, as I said, I've been told that this changes around 4 & 5th level.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BreakfastOfChampions

Upon a first reading of the rules, I don't see anything that would prevent the stories from feeling like Conan., which is my goal, with few less "beastial negros" passages.

I don't think there was anything wrong with Chris' character. But, I think that the character was not built for the situations that were thrust upon the characters.

I think we rolled the characters, so I'm not sure exactly what stats the pirate had. I'm assuming there was a 17 or 18 dex there somewhere.

*Especially* with d20, a lot of the work goes into threat management. It also goes into knowing the character's limitations. Without getting too far into my lack of love for the last Conan adventure, I'd like to point out that most of the combats were ambushes, at least from the games I played in. Playing a barbarian with nifty hit points and a killer bow helped me a lot. I was optimized for toe to toe fighting.

I think combat *is* a big trope in Conan, but its more than just "you hit, roll damage, he's down" kinda combat. A lot is in the description. Also, you need people to swing from the pirate ship to the defending galley, a poinard in his teeth, landing near the ropes to cripple the other ships sails., stick a knife into the kidneys of the forward facing defenders, or savagely tear into his foes with a scimitar. It does mean paying attention a bit to flanking, and AoO, to make sure the players don't miss an opportunity to shine.

But that's more into the *gaming* portion of it, where to me, Conan is about stark landscapes and cities slightly inhuman, with dark demigods served by mad or deluded servants. The wizards know far too much, and are a little crazed with power, and tap that which should not be tapped. Sure, these wizards fall from the efforts of the heroes, but all that is left is desolation and ruin. Rarely does good rise where evil falls. Usually it is just survival.

Starting at 4th level is going to help too. Suddenly, a bad combat round doesn't mean half the party is down.

[EDIT]
Okay, after looking at the rules more, I think 5th is a fine level to have a Conan one shot. Unfortunately, I think without everyone knowing the rules, going much higher would provoke needing a session just to explain what everyone can do at higher levels.
BreakfastOfChampions

I think the most players I can handle is 5 for this one-shot. I *could* do 6, but I worry about quality starting at that number of players.

I give a variety of characters here, since I wanted to make sure there was a bit of a choice. All characters can be swapped male/female with no problems.

Of the heroes, Huan is kind of critical, but I don't anticipate no one wanting to take him.

All characters will be pregenned and will be 5th level.
  • Ortho of Argos - Pirate
    The only thing more dangerous than Ortho on dry land is Ortho on a pirate ship. Ortho is fast, ruthless, and has been sailing the seas between Argo and Stygia for years. He knows the seas there well and has sailed them with freebooters and merchants alike. He is lightning fast with an arming sword, and his first cut is usually enough to end the fight.
  • Huan of Kitai - Scholar
    A quiet man, Huan is of the order of the Jade Dragon, and is both a mystic and a seer. Rumor has it he dabbles in great sorceries, but that cannot be so, since anyone who did so would be mad, right? He is on a quest, seeking the man who stole the Jade heart of the Dragon from the order many years ago. As such, he is very knowledgeable of the world and events within it. His breadth of knowledge is unsurpassed.
  • Daol of Cimmeria – Barbarian
    Uncivilized and rough hewn, Daol’s cunning and his blade are feared in equal measure. A huge man with classic Cimmerian features, he stands by his blood brother Gilzan of Shem to avenge those who killed Gilzan’s people. Daol’s steely gaze make his lesser back down, and for those that don’t, there is his blade.
  • Gilzan of Shem - Nomad
    Gilzan was all but given a bow before his birth name, and his bowmanship has become respected amongst even these people who are known for their accuracy and deadliness with a bow. Gilzan saved Daol of Cimmeria’s life when a lion nearly tore Daol apart before Gilzan shot it through the eye. Since then, Daol and Gilzan have been blood-brothers, such that Daol has joined Gilzan on his quest to avenge those who murdered his tribe and family.
  • Buryan of Zamoria - Thief
    Buryan is the master of stealth in the cities, and there are few locks that can withstand his keen eye and skill. Buryan has made his trade in a land of secrets and he has done very well. His stealth and quickness with a knife make every novice guard nervous and many a merchant double check their vaults at night. Recently, he has caught word of a treasure more valuable than a thousand bags of merchant gold – a treasure ripe for the taking.
  • Balthus of Hyboria – Noble
    Balthus of the Silver Tongue. Broken hearts, homes, and bones all over Aquilona. There are no fences he cannot mend, no needs he cannot help meet. Mostly, he has spent his life meeting his own needs and fulfilling the role required of Hyborian royalty. He is still quite far from the throne, but his name and word carry weight with merchants, nobles, and men-at-arms of the civilized land alike. Far more than a fop, he has been born and raised Hyborian, which means he knows how to use his swords, and has seen his share of battlefield dead.
  • Altero of Nemedia – Soldier
    Altero is Balthus’ bodyguard, and takes his work very seriously. A capable soldier, he has served in many campaigns with distinction. He is well skilled with both sword and crossbow, and uses both when engaging a foe. He takes his worship of Mitra as seriously as he takes his warfare, and is very protective of Balthus.
  • Brant of Tauran – Borderer
    Silent in the forests and plains, Brant travels light and always wields two weapons, though he also fights well with his hunting bow. In his home territory and lands like it, Brant is unmatched as a huntsman and a tracker, having spent months at a time living off the land. Unused to human company save his fellow hunters, he is almost a barbarian himself, but not quite, as it is the northern barbarians that he protects his homeland from.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Okay, so I'll take the pirate, and Chris'll take the noble. :P
Mike Olson
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="devlin1"]Okay, so I'll take the pirate, and Chris'll take the noble. :P[/quote]

Bad Devlin, bad ;)

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I actually do like the pirate. Make his last name Tri-Cyclen, and I'll claim him for sure.

Also, the Shemite, the Zamorian, and the Cimmerian. How can anyone not like the Cimmerian?
Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="devlin1"]Make his last name Tri-Cyclen...[/quote]
cute.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"][quote:e7c40ae291="devlin1"]Make his last name Tri-Cyclen...[/quote]
cute.[/quote:e7c40ae291]

Don't encourage him!

As for me, I'm partial to the thief Buryan. Huan the scholar has piqued my interest as well.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I would be interested in playing Gitza the bowman. This is especially true depending on who plays Daol.

If not my other choices would be Brant(Loner is pretty cool), Daol(Dude this is Conan ya know) and Buryan(I like characters who's goals are simple and straight forward).
BreakfastOfChampions

I think we're looking at playing this after Blanchprez's Tribe 8 game. Well, probably alternating, so y'all got 3 weeks to decide.

Which means, we'll all probably wait until the day of, if not later ;)