Painting Minis

Miniatures, Boardgames, video games, etc.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

That Repaer fig still has highlighting. It started with a darker skin colour and highlighted up to a lighter shade to make it look more like light was shining on the skin. I wasn't suggesting at all that you go for the more "GW cartoony" style highlighting, just that usually it is the next step. In any case, it's your figure, paint it the way you want.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

Damn,

What size brush do you use for his nipple shading?
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]Damn,

What size brush do you use for his nipple shading?[/quote]

I'm not sure but I imagine that is the funnest part of painting minis.

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Wintermute"]Here's a pic of the mini I'm working on. First one I've done since Junior High.[/quote]

Looks good.

These are some pretty good tips for painting eyes.

[url]http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/clinic.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/clinic.htm[/url]

With miniatures of humans, if the eye is not really visible then I usually just do a good wash on the face and then highlight the face. Remember the miniature just needs to look good from arms length or about 3 feet away. And how much detail about someone's eyes can you really pic out at a distance. I avoid eyes because they are a pain and miniatures with their eyes painted always look like they are really shocked. :)

As to the highlights, I usually do some layering. You if you look this miniature

Wolfen - Confrontation

[img]http://www.rpgmainframe.com/minipics/rifle.JPG[/img]

The green shirt he is wearing started dark green and then the raised area I hit with a lighter green and finally the hit the lighter green with an even lighter green. I have found that drybrushing doesn't give you as much control as layering.

I will be at Gamefest Friday and Sunday morning and all day Tuesday and Wednesday and I would be happy to show you how I did the techniques, but that URL I gave you is a pretty damn good website and it could probably you better than I can.

Jonathan

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Cool, thanks much!!
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I must go to Game Fest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Just gotta say, cyberpunk miniatures kick ass. Sunglasses, goggles, face shields, hockey masks... less eyes to paint!!
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Did yiou manage to find some?

One thing that I've just now remembered-a GW game called Necromunda. One of the gangs, House Delaque consisted of guys in trenchcoats with bald heads, goggles and rifles. Definetely a CP look. They only way to get them is by ordering from GW.
Conversely, Slayer never did any concerts with Christian rockers, Stryper.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."