For The Horde!!!

Miniatures, Boardgames, video games, etc.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

For The Horde!!!

Post by Gotetsu »

The Story...

The evil sorcerer Malithrax had once again summoned a Horde for his bidding. The Orcs would fight unwillingly, but they would fight just the same.

However, when Malithrax had summoned a portal that would take the Horde to their staging area, something went amiss. Magical energies were intertwined and warped, and the portal was altered. Caught in the maelstrom of energy that followed, a large number of Orcs were hurtled through space and time.

When they awoke, things were not as they remembered. Where they had expected to see great forests and mighty castles, they saw long roads of pure stone, and fortresses that stretched to the sky. It was a human city, but unlike anything any Orc had ever seen. The people who walked the streets seemed to glance indifferently at them. And soon, the Orcs found out why. This city was peopled with beings of great power. These “Heroes,” as they were called, protected the city from the seemingly endless army of miscreants.

The Orcs took this as a sign. They saw that they were no match for some of the Heroes. And so they turned their only talents on the villains. Hellions, Skulls, The Council, it mattered not. Battle was to be had, and glory was theirs.

At first they banded in small parties or made war alone. But soon, the call was upon them. Who would be the first to gather a Horde in this “Paragon City?” Only the axe, the sword, the mace and the spell would tell…

The Players (so far)

Virtue Server it is!
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Grotsnik ready for battle. FOR THE HORDE!!!!

(You should totally post about this over on PCity.)

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I plan too. But I want to iron out the details first, and give the three of us a head start. :D

Of course, since it WAS my idea, we could just declare that I get to form the Horde... ;)
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"]I plan too. But I want to iron out the details first, and give the three of us a head start. :D

Of course, since it WAS my idea, we could just declare that I get to form the Horde... ]

That woudl be fine by me. I'd have no problems with it.

I know what you can call the ranks. Leader would have to be Boss. Captain would be Nob, and Member would be Warrior. :)

Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I just thought I'd repost this here.

[quote]Here are some guidelines we came up with for creating character types:

Orc Warriors: Battle or Warmace Tankers, or Broadsword Scrappers

Orc Brawlers: Dark Melee Scrappers

Orc Shamans: Blasters, Defenders or Controllers

Other than that, there really aren't many more Orc options for now. When issue 5 is realeased, you could make an Orc Archer. Names must be Orc-like. There is a list of Orc names at [url]http://www.orcs.ca[/url]. Characters can be male or female, though males should be most common.

And since the actual group can't be created until someone reaches 10th level, whoever gets their Orc to 10th level first will be able to form the Horde and and name it after himself (ie.: The Horde of Gortek, etc.).[/quote]

Personally, I think the SG should just be called The Horde (rather than the Hore of <name>). Also, for Orc Brawlers, Martial Arts Scrappers should be considered. I realize it's not really a brawler, but it's closer than Dark Melee.

There should also be costume guidelines.

Chris

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]I know what you can call the ranks. Leader would have to be Boss. Captain would be Nob, and Member would be Warrior. :)[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. :D

I think we need to make it a rule that if two or more of us are online at the same time, unless otherwise teamed, we have to automatically team with each other. And any other Orcs who come online are immediately asked to join the team.

As a side note, I'm curious why you chose blue...? Not that it's bad. Gives him a definite WarCraft feel. ;)

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Personally, I think the SG should just be called The Horde (rather than the Hore of <name>). Also, for Orc Brawlers, Martial Arts Scrappers should be considered. I realize it's not really a brawler, but it's closer than Dark Melee.[/quote]

Yeah, those were just ideas that I threw out there. Any of the Scrapper types would work. Orcs come from a fantasy world, so "magical" effects are easy to explain away.

[quote="BlanchPrez"]There should also be costume guidelines.[/quote]

True, and I think those are pretty apparent. Medeival looking clothing, helmets are cool (kinda wished I gave Gortek one after seeing yours), and sparse armor.

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"]My thoughts exactly. :D

I think we need to make it a rule that if two or more of us are online at the same time, unless otherwise teamed, we have to automatically team with each other. And any other Orcs who come online are immediately asked to join the team.

As a side note, I'm curious why you chose blue...? Not that it's bad. Gives him a definite WarCraft feel. ]

LOL!

I picked blue for exactly that reason. :)

Chris
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

We should probably limit the origins to natural and magic also.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Cthulhu"]We should probably limit the origins to natural and magic also.[/quote]

Good point. Grotsnik is natural.

Chris

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Yeah, Gortek is all-natural too. No additives or preservatives. :D
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Man, when Issue 4 goes live, we'll have a system of promotion in place too.

When a Warrior wants to become a Nob (after reaching a certin level, for example), he must challange an existing Nob to battle. Same goes for being Boss.

Chris
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

That was what I was thinking, but then the Horde will be run by teenagers with no jobs in about a week.

I was also thinking, should we allow goblins?
Jake
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Jake »

Once you let goblins in then you open the gates for hobgoblins, and worst of all kobolds.

Seriously though a few goblins running around would look kinda cool.

Damn it you guys!!! You made this sound so cool I’ll have to make one myself. At first I was thinking that this was all an alt distraction that would keep Ant from reaching 50 (I made 19th last night), but now I’m thinking that I’ll make a Hordling and switch from Ant to him when ever enough of you are online. But what archetype to make? What are all you guys? Let me take a guess, a broadsword/dark armor scrapper, a Invincibility/Battleaxe tank and a Dark/Dark defender?
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Jake"][font=Arial][size=100][color=white]Once you let goblins in then you open the gates for hobgoblins, and worst of all kobolds.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=100][color=white]Seriously though a few goblins running around would look kinda cool.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=100][color=white]Damn it you guys!!! You made this sound so cool I’ll have to make one myself. At first I was thinking that this was all an alt distraction that would keep Ant from reaching 50 (I made 19th last night), but now I’m thinking that I’ll make a Hordling and switch from Ant to him when ever enough of you are online. But what archetype to make? What are all you guys? Let me take a guess, a broadsword/dark armor scrapper, a Invincibility/Battleaxe tank and a Dark/Dark defender?[/color][/size][/font][/quote]

Close. Broadsword/Inv scrapper.

Chris

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="Cthulhu"]That was what I was thinking, but then the Horde will be run by teenagers with no jobs in about a week.[/quote]

Good point. Gortek is leader because he is smartest Orc and he gathered Horde. >:]

I dunno about Goblins. I like the idea of the Horde being all Orcs. But, if someone really wants to make one, I guess it would be cool.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'm actually a Weather Control/Dark Defender. It seemed to fit the Orc Shaman type.
I wasn't planning on making any goblins, but I may re-re-make Argrok since he's only second level and I found other costume options I like better. Damn, are there medications for altaholism?
Jake

Post by Jake »

If you add goblins they need to be small and blueish grey.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="Cthulhu"]Damn, are there medications for altaholism?[/quote]

Nothing with substantial value. Having a significant other helps, but that's like taking Maximum Strength Tylenol for a sucking chest wound.

There is no hope...

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Ok, here's the text for the front page of the website, if you still want to do it:

[quote]The Story...

On the world of Derth, the evil sorcerer Malithrax was once again making his move to conquer the Shining Empire. As before, he had summoned a Horde for his bidding. Though the Orcs were, indeed, a warlike race, they were also a noble race, and preferred to fight for glory and personal honor, and not for the greed of one man. As a race, the orcs felt no malice towards the humans and elves of the Shining Empire. But, Malithrax was powerful, and the leaders of the Horde ware coerced into helping. The Orcs would fight unwillingly, but they would fight just the same.

However, when Malithrax had summoned a portal that would take the Horde to their staging area, something went amiss. A storm of pure Chaos energies was intertwined with the magical energies, and the portal was warped and altered. Caught in the maelstrom of energy that followed, a large number of Orcs were hurtled through space and time.

When they awoke, things were not as they remembered. Where they had expected to see great forests and mighty castles, they saw long roads of pure stone, and fortresses that stretched to the sky. It was a city, but unlike anything any Orc had ever seen. Then they saw the natives: Humans! At first the orcs feared attack by the knights of the Shining Empire. However, the people who walked the streets seemed to glance indifferently at them, if at all. And soon, the Orcs found out why. This place, which they learned was called “Paragon City,” was peopled with beings of great power, wizards and warriors referred to as “Heroes” by the populace. These “Heroes” protected the city from the seemingly endless armies of miscreants and evildoers.

The Orcs took this as a sign. Battle was in their blood, and this new world they found themselves in was as much a source of conflict as the one they had left. Though some thought they should battle against the Heroes (many of whom were very much like the Shining Empire Knights), one orc, Gortek, rose above the others and proclaimed that they should battle alongside these humans. It was obvious that this was a place of great power, but also one where a great warrior could find much glory and honor. He pointed out that they were no match for some of the more powerful Heroes. And so they turned their warrior talents on the villains. Hellions, Skulls, The Council, it mattered not. Battle was to be had, and glory was to be theirs.

At first they banded in small parties or made war alone. But soon, the call was upon them. One by one, Gortek began to gather The Horde…[/quote]

From my original text, modified by Blanch, and further modified by me. :D

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Cool! I'll have this up by the weekend.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Sweet! You need help with the graphics and logos and such?
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'll probably need your help with the artistic stuff.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

No problem. I'll have a quote for you by tomorrow night.

Just kiddin! :D
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

OMG! I have to buy this game...for the HORDE!!!!!!
SEVEN_SEVEN_SEVEN
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by SEVEN_SEVEN_SEVEN »

My oce is name Kurguk he dark/dark scraper

FOR THE HORDE!!!!!!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Scraper? That a new Archetype? :P

Cool, I may be on later tonight. Depends on what "mood" Lisa is in.

I miss the "Naughty" smiley. :(
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Scrapers rock, I had a dark spatula scraper on the Guardian Server.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Ok, chris and I got some good shots of everyone last night. So, whenever you want them, let me know.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

You can PM or email them to me whenever you want. I registered thehorde.freehosting.net, but I haven't done anything else yet.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I'll email you all of the pictures I have when I get home. Some are on my computer at home. Can you crop/edit/resize them?

I'm working on the logo. I had it done but it got screwed up when I saved it.

Edit: Screw it. Here;s the logo. Not happy with the glow effect, but it works for now.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Nice! I like it!

Chris
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'm ok with photoshop, so I can handle all the crop/resize stuff. The logo looks awesome!
Jake

Post by Jake »

I’m disappointed in the Horde turnout this weekend. The only one I saw on there was Grotsnik. Be sure to add Gargo to your friends list. As of now he’s a 6th level Ice/War Mace tank. I went with Ice Armor since I didn’t want to play another Invincible tank and I thought it would go well with Argrok’s weather control.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

So, how's the progress on the site?

Chris
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I meant to work on it Sunday, but was caught up in family stuff until late last night. I'll get it online tonight. Maybe today, since the boss has jury duty.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Yeah, I have Faith for a whole week, and yesterday was a cleaning frenzy at our house. So, I didn't get a chance to get on at all. Gortek is almost 8th, I think. So, I'm close to officially forming The Horde. :D

Looking forward to seeing the site. ;)
Jake

Post by Jake »

What travel powers are people thinking of taking? I’m having a hard time thinking of one that fits my character concept of a fighter with magical rune tattoos that give him the ice armor. Maybe Teleport. Like a magic ring or something?
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I chose teleport for my shaman. With rune magic, you could really justify any of them.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I'm taking Superleap. Honestly, unless your character is a "Shaman" (ie: Blaster/Defender/Controller) you should minimize the number of "magical" abilities. Just to keep in line with the concept of this being a Horde of Orcs.

Edit: Unless we want to say that, due to the Magical nature of the Orcs' home-plane, their presence in Paragon City has caused many of them to mutate, justifying all kinds of weird powers. Personally, Gortek is going to stick with just being a big, strong, tough orc.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I have superleap on two other characters, so I'm not too thrilled with taking it again. I was thinking of superspeed, and saying he has boots of running or something. But, if we all agree that no magic unless you're a shaman, then I go with Superleap again.

Chris
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Just out of curiosity, why does everyone HAVE to take a travel power? I mean, when you unlock the other powersets, there are a bunch that aren't travel-related, aren't there?

Edit: Btw, check out the front page of the Justice Avenger site. On the left, a new button has appeared. :D
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Just out of curiosity, why does everyone HAVE to take a travel power? I mean, when you unlock the other powersets, there are a bunch that aren't travel-related, aren't there?[/quote]

Because without one it takes forever to get from one side of the city to the other. We really DON'T need travel powers, and I'm willing to forgoe them in favor for role-playing these characters, as long as someone get's teleport (as a spell) so they can get the group from one place to the next.

[quote]Edit: Btw, check out the front page of the [url=http://red-irish.itgo.com/JusticeAvengers.htm]Justice Avenger site[/url]. On the left, a new button has appeared. :D[/quote]

Sweet!

Chris

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I can see the logic, and I'm willing to go with it. Perhaps our unit was the Elite of the original Horde, and we went in first, armed and equipped with magical stuff...

Yeah, that'll work. Though I still think we should limit it to one or two things. And remember, Argrok has Teleport...
Jake

Post by Jake »

I was thinking that Super Jump/Speed was too fantastic not to me magical, even for an Orc. I think of D&D and other sources and Orcs aren’t able to do that stuff. In fact I think Super Jump is the most out of character. I was thinking that maybe Sprint and Swift from the Fitness Pool would be enough to get me around relatively quickly. As far as why people have to take travel powers it’s simply a bit of a pin in the ass not to. Maybe I’ll just rely on Cthulhu’s Teleport Other. ;)
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I think Superleap is barely within the scope of "reality" because Orcs have strong legs. Ok. So, it's a stretch. But, oh well. :)

Yeah, just take what you want. I mean, it's not like this is some kind of official thing. It's just for goofs. Hell, most of us probably won't play the characters THAT much anyways.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I don't know, I kind of like the idea of trying to go without travel powers. Spring and Swift should do, though not AS fast. We can rely on Teleport Teammate for quick travel. Eventually, at a high enough level, he even gets group teleport.

Chris
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Well, I can still stay within that realm, because right now I just have Combat Jumping, which does fit. besides, I plan on sinking all of the rest of my power slots into my Battle Axe! :D
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Is it "Later Today" yet? :)
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Work's piling up enexpectedly, so I've really only had a few momemts, which I've chosen to spend bitching about Sesame Street and writing this comment. Check again at around 7:00. Also, if anyone has any pics or origins for their characters, PM them to me.